Author Topic: Sega Announced Alien Syndrome for Wii  (Read 6410 times)

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
RE:Sega Announces Alien Syndrome for Wii
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2006, 08:49:35 AM »

Originally posted by: ShyGuy
I'm not in the camp of "graphics don't matter" For myself, I would put it as "graphics aren't as important as other things"

I'm pretty sure that's what everyone who says "graphics don't matter" really means, but doesn't want to take the time to spell out.

Of course, there are text adventures.  I've never been able to get into one, but there are some classics in the genre.  They don't have any graphics at all.

Offline Dirk Temporo

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2006, 10:26:16 AM »

Originally posted by: Ian Sane
Quick question for all you "graphics don't matter" types: Have you ever played a really great game that looked like ass?

Deus Ex. Favorite game in all the world, and even though when it was released, the graphics were obviously more up to par than they are now, the original Unreal Engine was still on the end of its rope. Like someone else said, Body Harvest.

"You've had your dream old man. It's time to wake up!"
-Travis Touchdown

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
RE: Sega Announces Alien Syndrome for Wii
« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2006, 10:34:57 AM »
You know what game had lackluster graphics??? ... Lemmings.

I was crying and complaining when my mom bought that game for me. Then I got addicted. That game taught me NEVER to judge a book by its cover.

Also, Bonk on the VC has horrid graphics.

~Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
RE: Sega Announces Alien Syndrome for Wii
« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2006, 10:56:21 AM »
"You know what game had lackluster graphics??? ... Lemmings."

It did?  I never thought so.

"Also, Bonk on the VC has horrid graphics."

Back when it came out I remember seeing commercials for it and I thought it looked utterly amazing.

Anyway I'm just making a generalization.  Often when a games look like ass, and that doesn't just mean weak graphics from a technicaly perspective but an artistic one as well, you can assume it's not a well made product and thus not a very good game.  You should always be open-minded and be willing to try and ugly game if it gets good reviews and such.  But here is a game with unimpressive screenshots released by Sega, who I no longer trust to make decent games.  It's also a 3D update of a 2D game.  Being cynical about it is somewhat expected.  If Nintendo showed the same game then I don't think the graphics would matter as much to me.  They have a more consistent recent track record and have a history of doing a really good job of updating 2D games to 3D.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2006, 11:35:19 AM »
Wait a second... I just went back to the graphics and from what little there is I don't think the game is artistically bankrupt. I actually like that giant plant-monster they're fighting in the second shot, and think that the robot monster in the third has redeeming qualities. I think this game's art style might turn out more soft wacky than mediocre.

And also, Sega is publishing this game. They aren't making it. Totally Games is making it. This is their baby. They actually went to Sega with the idea in mind and asked to be the developer who resurrected the IP. They made X-Wing for the PC back in the day, so the old-school nostalgia gamer in me has to give them the benefit of the doubt. If Sega WERE making this game though, I'd totally agree with you.

~Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com  
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.