Author Topic: Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D: An Unnecessary Remake  (Read 10198 times)

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• My Butt is Ready :reggie;
  • Score: -63
    • View Profile
    • oh my god
Re: Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D: An Unnecessary Remake
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2013, 03:20:33 AM »
I rejected DKCR immediately due to the nonsense controls. I might actually buy this, though. Ergo, this remake was necessary to get my vidya dollars.

Offline Razorkid

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2013, 10:04:44 AM »
I bought and beat the original but never bothered to get all the secrets, letters, 100%, etc. because it was on a console and I don't have enough tv time to do that sorta thing.  This port was something I wanted since I first got my 3DS  and I'm overjoyed that it's coming. The only way I can really obsessively complete a game anymore beyond just beating it is if it's on a portable system. Now, I can scour this game stage by stage, breaking up some of the more frustrating challenges by playing in bite sized sessions. I can't wait.
"All the world is blind to my passing..."

Offline Furious Francis

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2013, 04:54:42 PM »
I picked up the Wii version when it came out but I found the challenges hard to to with motion controls. I beat the game with them, but I wouldn't exactly call DKC Returns on Wii good for skill based platforming and speed runs.

DKC on the 3DS makes sense for 3 reasons

1. More people get to play it on a sizzling hot console. The 3DS is putting up some huge numbers 30 million and counting. It makes sense for Nintendo to bring over one of the best Wii games to the 3DS.

2. The controls will be greatly improved. No waggle is good for 2-D platformers. Trying to beat the endgame challenges with motion controls is annoying.

3. Little time, more money. This helps Nintendo invest little to potentially make a lot. Retro will get royalties from this game, which helps them fund future Wii U games.

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2013, 05:01:19 PM »
Would Xenoblade be a good fit on the 3DS?
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2013, 09:12:38 PM »

That might be easier to play but this game is so huge I'd prefer it on my big screen to be honest

as for waggles in platformers.. I'm really starting to think everyone here sucks at platformers or I'm just super excellent at them, because I've never once had a trouble with motion controls in either NSMBW (or WU) and DKCR. I played through some of the speed challenges too, both games, no problem.

In fact in any motion based Wii game, the only times I accidentally waggle when, for example, scratching my nose, is when.. well I was already in a safe zone and not in the middle of a game. So no, I've never triggered motion controls and had it ruin a game experience.
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Leo13

• Score: 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2013, 12:17:56 PM »
I wish they were doing Metroid Prime Trilogy for the 3DS. I was a late adopter of the Wii and by the time I got it the Metroid Prime Trilogy was no longer on store shelves. Don't get me wrong, I do own DKCR for the Wii and I love that game, but I'm not going to buy a second copy especially when I always play with my wife and I doubt the 3DS one will incorporate download play.
If they were doing the Metroid Prime Trilogy for the 3DS I'd absolutely buy it without hesitation. The only Metroid game I've played is Other M and I really liked it and everyone tells me that the Prime games are better so I wish that would have been the choice.

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2013, 12:55:46 PM »
I'd rather have Metroid Prime Trilogy HD.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2013, 12:59:04 PM »
I wouldn't mind seeing Metroid Prime 1 and 2 in a pack on 3DS. I probably wouldn't get it, but I wouldn't mind it existing. Removing Wiimote controls from Metroid Prime 3 would screw up game though. No point in making a game worse just to port it.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2013, 01:06:56 PM »

It uses conventional controls (I play it exclusively with my CC Pro; don't even know what the default controls are) so in theory it could work.  Due to the obscurity of that game I'm actually fine with it gaining a bigger audience on the 3DS.  I'm not very keen on ports of games that are popular and readily available as the intention seems to be to double dip.  But with obscure games that are hard to find, a re-release is like a nice service to allow people that missed it the first time to pick it up (if you want DKCR you can buy it today and play it on your Wii U). But like EasyCure I like playing Xenoblade on the big screen.  I would hate if it become more popular on the 3DS and Nintendo decided to move the series to handhelds like what happened to Valkyria Chronicles.  If they keep it on the consoles then there is no risk of that.

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPix™
  • Score: -178
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2013, 01:36:05 PM »
The Prime Trilogy is too pretty to be on the 3DS screen in my opinion. Those games need to be played on the largest screen possible.
Gouge away.

Offline Razorkid

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2013, 02:46:41 PM »
Xenoblade on 3DS would be fantastic for the length and amount of things you can do in that game, especially with how pick up and play friendly it is.  But I think it the scope and magnitude of the environments would lose something in transition to the smaller screen. 
"All the world is blind to my passing..."

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2013, 03:44:56 PM »
Xenoblade on 3DS would be fantastic for the length and amount of things you can do in that game, especially with how pick up and play friendly it is.  But I think it the scope and magnitude of the environments would lose something in transition to the smaller screen. 
but at least i could play it legally and without dealing with homebrew or paying 599 us dollars on amazon

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2013, 07:34:39 PM »

I agree completely. Save anytime, anywhere is awesome for a game like this but those environments are too far reaching to really work on a portable screen.
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 05, 2013, 02:24:35 AM »
I'm more worried about how it translates technically. Could Xenoblade ever even run on the 3DS? It's not a portable Wii, after all.