Author Topic: Square considering Final Fantasy ports  (Read 7098 times)

Offline Blackknight131

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE: Square considering Final Fantasy ports
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2004, 06:52:48 AM »
Technically, a DS card of 128 MB (or even 64 MB) would be more than enough to fiit 4, 5 and 6. But, yer right it wouldnt be economically feasible.
Particularly if they feature enhanced versions, depending on how much new stuff they added, they could sell them standalone. Hell, i know I would buy it. -__-

That said, I STILL cant beleive you dont rank Chrono Trigger as classic alongside FF 4 and FF 6. It played better and more dynamically, had great memorable characters, a good story, excellent *excellent* graphics and music composition....dude, when it is said that Chrono Trigger was put together by a dream team of RPG moguls (which it was, featuring the heads of Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, and Akira Toriyama of Dragonball fame), it is said with 100% seriousness.  

Offline Pikkcuber

• View Profile
RE:Square considering Final Fantasy ports
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2004, 10:19:52 AM »
I am not a Chron Trigger fan becuase i was not introduced to it when it first came out.  When your not familiar with the story and your playing it now, you notice all these things that make the game seem stupid.  Im sure i would have loved the game if i played it when i was younger.  When i pop my old copy of ff6 in my snes i am so attached to the  characters that the fact that i just walked through the castle walls doesnt bother me, but if i hadnt played it before id be like well thats stupid.
PikkCuber

Offline Koopa Troopa

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2004, 11:13:46 AM »
I didn't play Chrono Trigger till last year. I still loved it.
"Plan Your Strategy. Build an Army. Trust No One."

Offline ActorJ

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2004, 02:46:09 PM »

Originally posted by: Pikkcuber
Exactly Blacknight.  I personally thought ff3/6 wasnt to long at all.  Everybody who played that game remebers Kefka's laugh, or playing a part in the opera scene, its what Todays RPG's are hoping to be.  I think asking for 3 games on one card is asking alittle to much.  The card that nitnendo is using for the DS does not have a big storage capacity (but still better than going with cd's)  If they put the jappannese final fantasys (3 and 5) and then put the snes games (2/3 or 4/6 if your jappanesse) on one that would be great.  They could really make 2 and 3 (4/6) very good remakes if they add extras and stuff.  I always go on and on about 3(6) but 2(4) is no slouch of a game by any means.  Darn Square for screwing up the numbering for us.

Ridiculous. A DS card is 128megabytes, minumum. The largest SNES game ever made was 6megabytes, total. and FF6 was not it.

Heck, 4,5,6 could be put on one 256megabit GBA cartridge with little problem.

As for being econimically feasable, of course it is. These games have all bean released and re-released to death. As a quick port job it would be more than feasble. considering that Square listed them as a group on their survey, it suggest that's what they are planning anyway....but as remakes, NO.

That's why i said I would like a FF 4,5,6 compilation cart, or better yet FF6 on it's own as a remake rather than a port. It remains to this day my favourite RPG ever.

(BTW, I don't care much for Chorno Trigger either....)

Offline Blackknight131

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2004, 08:31:30 PM »
ActorJ, I am grading you a D+ in the field of RPG Dynamics Study (RDS).

#1) As we were discussing and you also mentionedm, being able to sell those games by themselves would depend entirely on just how much of the game is enhanced. Those games with new graphical polish of say,the magnitude FF 1 and 2 recieved would be candidates for standalone releases....because the fans will just eat em' up. Particularly if we are focusing on FF 4 and FF 6, games which are beloved by many in both the US and Japan. I'll give a full letter grade back to you tho because you talked about this and are correct that if no changes are made and they sell them standalone at or near full price....well, that just sucks and would be a rip.

#2) You speak further blasphemy of Chrono Trigger. -3 grades.

OK, I'm joking here.

But Im serious when I say that the SNES definitely featured games larger than 6 MB. There is no argument to that...Street Fighter II at 16 MB, Breath of Fire at 12 MB. Then we have FF3 which was 16-24 MB, DKC, Killer Instinct, Chrono Trigger (24 MB) itself....and really, many many more over 6 MB. This is truth, it is SNES canon.
It MIGHT be possible to put 4, 5 and 6 on a 32 MB cart as you mentioned tho...it would depend on how large 4 and 5 are. I am almost 98% that FF 6 is 20 or more MB, and I would think that FF 4 alone would be 8 MB.

But Im too lazy to verify. Yay. Me.

Offline Blackknight131

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 06, 2004, 08:36:03 PM »
Oh, one more thing: I am of the mind that the DS games actually are not starting at 128 MB as the standard. Reggie's words, more or less "capacities of up to 1 gigabit (128 MB) and beyond". In other words, its my belief that some DS games will come on smaller size cards (32 MB, 64 MB flavas, perhaps). Totally doable, since we are looking at a N64 approximate system here. The largest N64 cart was 64 MB afterall.
Anyways, its not a big deal, I thought it was technically interesting.  

Offline ActorJ

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2004, 09:04:24 PM »

Originally posted by: Blackknight131

But Im serious when I say that the SNES definitely featured games larger than 6 MB. There is no argument to that...Street Fighter II at 16 MB, Breath of Fire at 12 MB. Then we have FF3 which was 16-24 MB, DKC, Killer Instinct, Chrono Trigger (24 MB) itself....and really, many many more over 6 MB. This is truth, it is SNES canon.
It MIGHT be possible to put 4, 5 and 6 on a 32 MB cart as you mentioned tho...it would depend on how large 4 and 5 are. I am almost 98% that FF 6 is 20 or more MB, and I would think that FF 4 alone would be 8 MB.

But Im too lazy to verify. Yay. Me.

Sorry, but you are dead wrong. you obviously do not know the difference between bits and bytes. street fighter may have been 16 magabits, but that is only 2 megabytes. What you claim is not truth, nor is it SNES canon. Even if 4,5,6 were all 32megabit games, that is altogether only 12megabytes total, small enough to fit on a 128mb gba cart (the most common size) with room to spare. And on a DS card? It's less than one tenth of the available space.

For future reference. 8 bits to a byte. The lagrest SNES game EVER MADE period WAS 6 megabytes, or 48megabits.

Offline ActorJ

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 06, 2004, 09:08:37 PM »

Originally posted by: Blackknight131
Oh, one more thing: I am of the mind that the DS games actually are not starting at 128 MB as the standard. Reggie's words, more or less "capacities of up to 1 gigabit (128 MB) and beyond". In other words, its my belief that some DS games will come on smaller size cards (32 MB, 64 MB flavas, perhaps). Totally doable, since we are looking at a N64 approximate system here. The largest N64 cart was 64 MB afterall.
Anyways, its not a big deal, I thought it was technically interesting.

okay, while you;ve shown you at least know the difference between bits and bytes.... Now just apply that to your knowledge of SNES game sizes....

Offline Koopa Troopa

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 07, 2004, 11:14:00 AM »
I was pretty sure Reggie said "starting" at one gigabit.  
"Plan Your Strategy. Build an Army. Trust No One."

Offline Blackknight131

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 07, 2004, 03:49:56 PM »
My Gawd, yer right ActorJ.
I still didnt believe you, but Google said it too.
And what Google says....is truly canon.
Oh, the lies Ive been living...

P0wned is me today =*(

Offline Pikkcuber

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 07, 2004, 05:30:08 PM »
Bit and Byte it doesnt matter. Square had to jack up the price of a GBA cartridge to get 2 ff on there.  No way are they gonna put 3 final fantasys  (2 which could sell by themselves if upgraded, maybe 3 havent played 5 im not jappanesse) Though it is a good dream for us.  THink about it if you were running a lemonade stand and you had the best lemonade would you sell it 3 cups for 50 cents when your competators have the price at one cup for 40 cents.  No you would sell either 2 good cups together and one great cup alone.
PikkCuber