Author Topic: PSTwo to be released this Oct.?  (Read 3356 times)

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
PSTwo to be released this Oct.?
« on: September 16, 2004, 11:25:25 AM »
according to Gamesindustry.biz Sony is releasing thier remodeled PSTwo, which is suppossedly 30% smaller and has a built in network adapter @ a price of $149.99.

They are speculated to release the PSTwo at the same time as GTA:SA this October to help boost sales for thier 4th Quarter, and possibly to also soften the impact of the release of Halo 2.  

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
RE: PSTwo to be released this Oct.?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2004, 11:32:11 AM »
"and possibly to also soften the impact of the release of Halo 2."

I don't see why people think that Sony has to do something to combat Halo 2.  They have a new GRAND THEFT F*CKING AUTO game coming out.  They're going to be fine.  Odds are more likely that GTA: SA will cut into Halo 2 sales than the other way around.  Nintendo's the one that's screwed.  Metroid Prime 2 is going to kick ass but it's unfortunately not going to sell like those games

Offline joeamis

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE:PSTwo to be released this Oct.?
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2004, 07:04:26 PM »
Not to mention, Metal Gear Solid 3 and Gran Turismo 4.  And Killzone should sell decent too.  I guess it could help take press, new consumers, and retail store ads showing a brand new PS2 model, a little off Halo 2 madness.  The more eggs the better I guess.  

I've read the same thing, "remodeled PSTwo, which is suppossedly 30% smaller and has a built in network adapter @ a price of $149.99." from atleast 1 source if not 2 (different ones).  Another thing I've read is that some industry people are calling for and predicting another round of price cuts for consoles this holidays, but it's unlikely Nintendo will go any lower than their respectable $99 and MS doesn't want to lose more $ per system.  They wonder if PS2 could undercut XB in price.  I could only see this happening if they wanted to try to kill Halo 2, but it's too late for that anyways.  I don't doubt the "pricecut" being an actual new PStwo model to be a strike at the DS launch.  

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2004, 03:02:10 AM »
I'd prefer a 99€ PS2 instead...

Offline DrZoidberg

• Secreted by the Internet Bee
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2004, 04:08:08 AM »
Halo will still sell a huge ammount, it's Halo, this won't effect it much at all. Not to say this won't sell ofcourse.
OUT OF DATE.

Offline MaleficentOgre

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2004, 06:34:32 AM »
I don't think that the pstwo will come out until close to ps3s release.  who wants to bet metroid prime doesn't wind up above fifth in the sales for november and december.

Offline joeamis

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2004, 04:11:23 PM »
It's rumored that PStwo will be released the same day as GTA:SA on October 26.  I don't know I'm doubtful of PStwo coming out this year, but Sony could pull the surprise.  For one it was a little shocking to see GTA: SA delayed, and only delayed a week.  Another thing is the date, Oct 26.  Wasn't the PS2 released on Oct 26?  It's rumored GTA:SA may even be part of a pack in deal for the PStwo, maybe at $200 or even better.

Offline skyfire

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2004, 02:00:59 PM »
Yes, Oct 26 is the 4 year anniversary of the PS2's launch.

I think it makes sense why sony has been hush hush about this. For one thing, PS2's have been becoming harder and harder to find in stores because they want to sell off all exhisting hardware and before announcing the new PStwo. If they announce it now, consumers will just wait for the new unit instead of buying old stock now.

Second, what better way to compete then to release a whole new look and GTA? I'm sure Sony has some kind of marketing blitz lined up to take a little bit of halo 2's wind out of it's sail.

To be honest I don't doubt for a moment though all 3 players are going to do great this 4th qtr. imo.

I for one think the PStwo is coming out Oct 26. there have been too many coincidences for me to deny it otherwise. Personally, I'm glad as I've been waiting to get a ps2 now so I'm going to get this for sure.  

Offline joeamis

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2004, 02:35:22 PM »

Originally posted by: skyfire
If they announce it now, consumers will just wait for the new unit instead of buying old stock now.

Excellent point.  It seems more probable with each sucessive week that goes by.

Offline Djunknown

• HEY! HEY! LISTEN!
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2004, 01:02:04 PM »
Its old news now, now that TGS has cleared things up, but the slimmer design seems to be more a of a replacement. The lack of an HD port is an achillies heel, but I guess if you're not tuned into FFXI now, you're probably not going to be.

I like how its slim, but it doesn't have that portable feel the PSone has. It just takes a LOT less space for your theoretical home theatre for those who have one. Maybe we'll see a GTA: SA/Slim PS2 combo? Nah, too convienent.
Ma ma sa, ma ma coo sa
Ma ma se, ma ma sa,
Ma ma coo sa