Author Topic: Zelda game after windwaker  (Read 12473 times)

Offline Windwaker

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Zelda game after windwaker
« on: February 07, 2003, 05:46:04 PM »
Welcome to the Zelda news column,

I recently read (http://www.gamecubenetwork.com/#2270) that Mr. Miyamoto said that the new Zelda for Gamecube has already been started.

Question for all ya'll Zelda fans:

What do you want in the next Zelda game?
What should they get rid of from Zelda games?

Thanks for reading...may the Tri-Force be with thee,

WindWaker    

Offline UberFlop

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2003, 05:53:02 PM »
Hmmm . . . as long as it's still Zelda from Miyamoto, I think it'll be great.

However, I don't think that Nintendo should release a realistic looking Zelda game until the next-generation system.  One reason is that the graphics could be greatly improved over what we sat at SpaceWorld 2000, which I think we all agree was pretty fantastic itself.  Another is that it could be optimized again to improve upon many other aspects, such as level design, sound, and length of the adventure.  One thing I'm really hoping for is a long Zelda game, at least longer than Ocarina of Time or Majora's Mask.
I'm good at what I do

Offline Dr Synthetic

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2003, 06:11:08 PM »
I don't know...

I was very displeased with the SpaceWorld 2000 Zelda footage.  It looked cheesy to me, the characters looked plastic and fakish.  Sure, they aren't real, but changing Zelda into just another game starring a guy with a sword isn't exactly the method they should take.

I'm pleased with Zelda GC, and look forward to the next one not just being the GC version of Majora's Mask (hopefully).

And Adult Link can stay on the shelf.
I'll show you a trick with ants...

Offline Attrox

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2003, 07:29:22 PM »
I heard about this earlier today too, and hey, I'll buy any Zelda game Nintendo decides to throw at me. One thing I hope they decide to do with this one though is have some high resolution graphics, instead of the cel-shading technology. Graphics as the same calibur of the ones we saw in Metroid Prime would be great.
Attrox - Webmaster of the Great Deku Tree
http://www.gdtree.com/

Offline Nile Boogie

• that is why you fail
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2003, 07:53:06 PM »
I belive the "next Zelda" will be more of an action based title like Zelda 2:The Adventure of Link.  Shiggy has hinted at this in a number of interviews and press confrences.  Also, there was talk, albeit small, about the use of another character in addition to Link. Maybe Sheik and or Zelda.  And  although  I absoulutly adore the cel-shading, I don't think the next Zelda will go that route.  Not because of public opinion, but I do belive that it will have "run its course" and be played out buy then. Hell it could even be a overhead, 2/3's, Link to the Past kinda look.  Who's knows, but I'm buying it off blind faith no matter what.
Nile Boogie is...

0699-9217-4212-6889

Philadelphia Penn, 19130

Offline LiveGame

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2003, 08:01:47 PM »
I dont care if the game is charcoal shadded, I just want the story from Majora's Mask to continue.  I'm sure that the Wind Wakers story will be four stars also but the OoT and MM stories were just great and I want to see where it goes from the end of MM.

Offline RahXephon

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2003, 08:16:30 PM »
wouldn't it be funny if it was Zelda party or Zelda Kart...... probably not, but i can promise it wont be cel-shading this time, i read it some where or another that he wants to take the series into a NEW direction.  (Maybe Link will replace captin Olimar in Pikmin 2),  anyway, like any person who calls themselves a gamer i have faith in Miyamoto-sama.  Great faith.  by the way, the demo is in stores for your playing enjoyment, i have spent 10+ hours playing THE DEMO IN THE STORE, by hour 8 i was getting weird looks.  Anyway, I can't wait to finish this new adventure, Love the anime look by the way, reminds me of the production team behing Spirited Away and Mononoke Hime.  If anyone knows anything about that fat plumers next game, i would like to hear to.  Arigato.
Fry's Grandma in the past-"Killed., In an atomic Blast.... No sir I don't take much comfort in the fact the trigger function worked perfectly."
Fry-"There there, if it makes you feel any better, his body was vaporized, so there's no chance of him coming back as a zombie."
Fry's Grandma-"I'm no

Offline GoldShadow

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2003, 09:37:24 PM »
Rah - I believe what he said was that he likes to do things different from the industry.  So, he's doing cel-shading now because realism is so popular.  If cel-shading became extremely common and popular, he might go with a realistic or totally different look.

Anyway, I was thinking an interesting new design would be a 2D side-scrolling Zelda, or at least partially, in the style of Zelda II or the latest Castlevania games.  I think it could be interesting.  You'd have a control system that allows for more fast-paced, difficult battle systems without z-targeting.  You could do cool sword moves, and still keep all the classic Zelda weapons.  Hmm.

Realistically, though, expect the next Zelda game to be another cel-shaded adventure, similar to Majora's Mask compared to OoT, featuring the same Link character.  Why let such a nice engine go to waste?

Offline Koopa Troopa

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2003, 06:23:00 AM »

I heard about this earlier today too, and hey, I'll buy any Zelda game Nintendo decides to throw at me. One thing I hope they decide to do with this one though is have some high resolution graphics, instead of the cel-shading technology. Graphics as the same calibur of the ones we saw in Metroid Prime would be great.

A "High Resolution" doesn't have anything to do with the style of the graphics.

but i can promise it wont be cel-shading this time, i read it some where or another that he wants to take the series into a NEW direction.

I don't think he was referring to "Graphics" when he said that.  It would be foolish to throw out the WW Engine after only one use, especially considering it probably took a good year, to two years to create it.
"Plan Your Strategy. Build an Army. Trust No One."

Offline Rellik

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2003, 12:39:38 PM »
I for one hope it doesn't get any more action oriented.

Often, having too much action in a game just serves to make you want to stop playing it, frustrate you, and trivialize the whole process.  It can be pretty hard to have fun and enjoy the game when you're trying to fight for your life; of course, this has a place, but I think the action-aspect should stay moderate.

I don't see how you can think the SW00 footage didn't look good, but whatever.  I like both now, although I like cel-shading a little more.  The graphics type, not that it matters that much, that I'd like to see in the next game is cel-shaded.  However, cel-shading that is more dramatic; with more complex shading, and harsher edges and smoother curves and all that.

As for gameplay, I want both linearity and non-linearity.  I like linearity in the sense that you're not just loose to see what you feel like doing, and you can choose what you want to do it doesn't really matter (that's why I stopped playing Chrono Trigger when it became non-linear, as much as I loved the game) and you actually have a strong sense of direction and plot and what's going on.  But I also like there to be many ways to accomplish the same thing; and many different options that will each lead in a definite and planned direction.  So...

I'd also like to see less gimickry in the next Zelda.  There's no reason why the whole game has to be focused on wind, or sailing, or batons... just make it all good, and it'll be good.  I mean, of course there should be more than just running around with the same weapons and adventuring and stuff, but it doesn't all need to be based around the same thing.

Offline Windwaker

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2003, 07:11:05 PM »
Alright, those were great responses, but not many said what they don't like about Zelda games. Here are a couple of thoughts.

What I do NOT like about Zelda:
*That I wasn't able to get the Triforce in Zelda OOT...lol, I beet that game inside out, outside out, upside down, every way posible but I couldn't freaking get the Triforce. I know it was meant to be that way, but I would have crapped in my pants if they would have made it posible to get it.
*Chee, this is hard, no wonder people didn't write much.

What I would like in the next Zelda game:
*This is going to sound wierd, but I want a multiplayer. Not like Shooter game multiplayers. I want something simple, something like "The 4 Swords" for Zelda "Link to the Past" on Gameboy Advance. That was soooo fun and simple.

*About the graphics, I would like a Space world type Zelda game, but I'm sure Miyamoto-Zan is going to blow our minds AGAIN with the next Zelda. It would be cool for him to do a semi cel shaded, the Space World Link cel shaded.

*That Zelda would actually be playable, to have part in the game. Not a big part, just a little something..I mean the game is named after her.

Well, I'll be back with more later. But for now I'll leave you with a little something to brighten your day:

Usefull things to do with your Xbox or PS2:

*) Ps2 makes a great stand to put your Gamecube on.

*) X-box's are so big they make good targets for people learning how to shoot.

*) If someone is breaking into your house you can throw your x-box at them and it will knock them out.

*) Ps2's make lovely bottle rocket launchers.

*) If you stand on your x-box in a crowd you can see where you want to go.

*) You can smash it to tiny peices and make a Mario model.

*) You put your Xbox a better use (not that anybody of you own one), take the Xbox apart and make yourself a computer instead..it comes with the Windows 2000 kernel already installed

*) There is never the need for sleeping pills anymore, just wait for your XBox/PS2 to load your game!

More XBOX possibilities:

*) You can put wheels on it, and safely fit an entire family inside.
*) Garbage Compactor. Simply place on top, and watch it flatten.
*) Use one or two to weigh down your hot air balloon.
*) sell it to a gym, they can use them as weights for the barbells

More PS2 possiblities:
* Use as kickstand for a bike
* Cut out the empty space for a hard drive, and see how well it balances, or just fill it with pudding
* Try to play a 3 -4 player game without a multi tap, then cry

Here is what a PS2 fan boy said about the Gamecube, thought you would get a kick out of it.
"well, I think GC is relly going down in popularity because game stores are selling them for bout $150 and XBox and PS2 are going for $200. But dont get me wrong... I dont like XBox. I only like HALO for it! PS2 has more to offer. We have a network adapter, harddrive add-on, etc. thats just my oppinian!"

The wind blew and the Windwaker has taken off. I'm out

Offline Nile Boogie

• that is why you fail
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2003, 08:17:45 PM »
Whoa it just hit me. How about a post-modern Zelda Title. You know Link in the future. OK, I know it's the "Legend" of Zelda but still StarWars is "a long time ago".  Let me think of a qiuck plot line... got it. Link gets trapped in the golden land for 5000 years and blah blah blah but you get the drift, right?  Robots, skyscapers and gaint airships just what Zelda needed.  Or...

Since the "Wind" is a major part of this game, maybe another of the goddesses powers that created the Triforce will be the focus of the next game. You know, one of the other principle forces: "Fire" and "Nature".  Neverthought, let me just get my hands on The Wind Waker!!!!

Nile Boogie is...

0699-9217-4212-6889

Philadelphia Penn, 19130

Offline RahXephon

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2003, 09:48:36 PM »
OH holy zombie Jesus, that is what he needs to do, ditch the woods and "lava, ice, water, forest" levels, and lets see some nice future design.  Have Link be trapped in the land like you said, untill the triforce was once again harnessed through the powers of evil, or even better, have it that there is a child born named link who carrys on him a destiny.  IMAGINE THIS............. CGI VIDEOS FOR ZELDA.  I AM TALKIN WALKING INTO HUGE ROOMS LINED WITH SCROLLS AND STUFF WITH CRAZY LIGHTING EFFECTS.  I would cry so happily.  Maybe the organization after the triforce knows of links importance before he does, and they need him to pull out the master sword, and when he does, the knowledge of all things Zelda goes into his mind.   Now we are talkin plot here.  And the bad guys could be ANYTHING, robots, aliens, the organization can even do a second "mirror link" through cloning.  That is what i want to see.  Now i have myself all wqorked up.

Fry's Grandma in the past-"Killed., In an atomic Blast.... No sir I don't take much comfort in the fact the trigger function worked perfectly."
Fry-"There there, if it makes you feel any better, his body was vaporized, so there's no chance of him coming back as a zombie."
Fry's Grandma-"I'm no

Offline Rellik

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2003, 08:41:21 AM »
Hahaha.... that post-modern Zelda idea is great.

But you've got the specifics all wrong!

See...

The Zelda would just take place in the far future, corrupted corporations and decrepit slums and lasers and spaceships and all, WITHOUT ANY EXPLANATION!  It just opens like any other Zelda game... Link is just there, he's a citizen of that time, just like he's a citizen of whatever time he lives in in the other games.  They aren't all the same Link... and it doesn't have to be "Link is reborn" it's just that this Zelda takes place in the far future.  So, Link is a street-smart rogue of sorts, although he has a more steady lifestyle and a stronger determination and is less vicious and more moral than his peers.  His weapon (everyone in this future carries a weapon, gotta defend yourself in these harsh times!) is a sword, but a really high-tech one.  Thinner than the master/normal Link sword, a little less shiny and a little darker, but still silver in color with cold blue on the sharp edges, with an assymetrical handle of some sort.

And Zelda would be the daugther of the big boss of a very large and extremely powerful corporation, although far less evil and corrupted than most.  Gannondorf would be the young leader of a gang of theives and con-artists... you get the idea .  It should take place over multiple planets (gorons and zoras have their own planets).  Epona would be his trusty fighter-ship...

Basically, mix the classic Zelda gameplay and style and goodness with Skies of Arcadia Legends and Cowboy Bebop !!!!

Offline GoldShadow

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2003, 08:41:42 AM »
Rah - That sounds WAY too much like Final Fantasy for my taste.  However, I would like a really good Zelda-style sci-fi game, just not Zelda.

Offline uwvark

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2003, 08:56:15 AM »
I had a really sweet idea awhile back. The next Zelda should be like so...

New Link, last in the series. Ganon is still dead from AoL. Link manipulates time again. Gets to go back to certain scenes from all the current Zeldas and help old Links out. There are various science fiction shows that have done this (e . Star Trek). All the old games are redone in brillant beautiful 3D.
For example say you warp back to a temple, you hear a beast bellowing. You go thru the temple and see past Link slaying Aquamentus from Loz Dungeon #1. As he goes to the next room and picks up the Triforce, he disappears and warps out. You, however, are still there and notice that as he touched the Triforce another cavern opened behind the pedastal. A whole new dungeon is down there that you never knew about. !!! Save past Links from dangers they never knew about. At the end it turns out to be another one of Ganon's crony wizards (not Agnahim) trying to revive him or whatever. His fortress, in the present, is the final level.

There are limitless possibilities to  use for this. I think it would be insanely awesome. Comments?
POWER, WISDOM, & COURAGE

Offline Lao-tzu

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2003, 11:38:44 AM »
WHAT I WANT:

Someone said this, but it cant be stressed enough.  Level Design!!  No more fire water ice stuff.  Make temples what they actually are.  Temples.  Candle Lighting and scrolls, lots of secrets passages and cool tricks to go to the next area... not as much fighting, but more problem solving ala Indiana Jones.

Also, in the overworld area.... more fighting.  Redesign the fighting system, and have it action packed- but still easy.  Have all sorts of cool moves, and stuff..

I think it'd be cool (Al though maybe wouldn't work) to have the c-stick control the sword hand.. and you could actually parry like that..
(Not to mention the A=attack that changes depending on how your sward and how your joystick is being held) (and b=the same except defensive moves)

WHAT I DON'T WANT:

The same old.  The same weapons?? NO.  The same story?? NO.  Why must we always have the same music, for that matter.

Yes, it was all good.... but new is good too.

Zelda didn't become so great by sticking to some preset design.

The best game, OoT of course, totally reinvented the way zelda, never mind other 3D adventure games, worked.

So enough with the '...but still retains many elements from the series."
Name: Aaron
Town: Hobbiton

« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2003, 07:31:38 AM »
Okay, read the ideas.  I love the "future Zelda" idea and the "help other links from other games" idea.  Maybe both could be combined.  I'm very picky about Zelda (explains why I'm not a big fan of the Cel-shading) and if I like a change in the series then it must be good.  I agree, the future Zelda thing does sound a lot like final fantasy but several final fantasy games have used settings similar to the Zelda series  (i.e. FF2, FF9...first ones to come to mind, I'm not saying they're copying eachother) and fans still accepted those changes with open arms, so I think it would work for Zelda.  

Damn....Now I really want a "future" zelda game.  I'm more excited about that then the "Wind Waker." Time to start a petition.  
it was time for a change.

Offline RahXephon

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2003, 03:34:32 AM »
I also think it would be a nice direction to see Shiggy go to.  We know he at least HELPED with Metroid prime, so he can work with a space atmosphere, but i would be intrested on his take to the whole thing.  The reason he has made all the previous games just "jump" in was his all famous motto of a game that anyone can play, simple but fun.  In that sense you could eliminate all the story.  However I believe that the game is heading more story anyway, look at WW, we've all heard the boasts about the face expressions and how it will actually be emotional.  That is the kind of thing i believe story enhances.  I rember playing OoT for the 1st time and my favorite things in the whole game was Link descovering his true past.  That is the kind of feeling i would like to see in a new Zelda, where the main "Link" believes all these false pretences and is suddenly hit with reality "sorta like Matrix but not on such a grandoise scheme, more like naivete".  Of course i dont think the game should open with this huge story then let you go.  One would have to incorporate it slowly into the game, to both draw us in and let us feel as if we are part of this world, being just as surprised as the main character.  I know Miyamoto-san likes simplicty, but i would like to see how far his creativity goes.  (And lets face it, a future mario just wont cut it).
Fry's Grandma-"I'm no

Offline RahXephon

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2003, 03:54:37 AM »
Oh, and on my previous post, i don't mean like Link is really in a tube (refering to Matrix comment), i just mean like he believes the world has problems, but nothing big.  Though this is a depressing example, i believe it to be the best metaphor.    
We always thought terrorism existed and that it happened alot, but we never thought that somehting as large as Al Quida was out there, in every country.
Sorry to bring up terrorism, but it seemed to follow what i am saying.

My 2nd reason for a double post is i am interested in Link's character design, characters like Gandorf and Zelda could dress very modernly, but link is another story.  Do we keep the tunic.  This is also where i believe a story line would come in.  Make the triforce much more important than it was.  WE know there is religion behind it, so make it a world order.  But bigger, and that is where the whole "Use Link to pull out the Master sword thing would come in.  By the way we could have it really rusted, then done over to a futuristc sword, like someone said in an early post.  The "tunic" could be part of the seremony, it doesn't have to be the same tunic, but a tunic none the less(green of course).  We could even see some new make overs to it, gold trim and stuff.  Heres what i really like though, lets give him so awsome boots.  We could have a grazity effect which would let him walk vertically or upside down, and his here would fall towards the floor.  Also maybe we could do some "dash attack" stuff like a better version of the boots from LttP.  One more thing, he always has something to help him and explain stuff, fairies fortune tellers, owls, so I say give him a futuristic forearm band, theres your grapple hook right there.  And upgrades will alow it to lift boulders and stuff.  OK i am done, i wanna hear some feed back.  
Fry's Grandma-"I'm no

Offline Rellik

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2003, 11:06:22 AM »
I don't really like that idea bout the "helping out other Links" thing.  Seems a little... I dunno, superficial?  Not that I'm trying to say it was a bad suggestion altogether, just IMO.

I'm glad somebody suggested that futuristic thing.

If it was set in the future, I'd like to see it as a futuristic parallel of the Zelda formula.  Ganondorf is the leader of the powerful crime-syndicate/gang that cooked up th is plan to kidnap the daughter of the president of the most powerful corporation in the solar system.  Zelda is still the girly-girl that she's always been, but there are some very interesting possibilities for some incarnation of Sheik, like in OoT.  It would be cool just to see this whole, detailed world full of corruption, where people have to abide the corporations just to stay alive, either that or join one of the many gangs/crime-syndicates on the different planets.  And Link is only a bit more righteous than the verage degenerate, immoral citizen of that time, but he will soon learn that he's different the hard way.

The whole thing is parallel to the old Zelda games.  I don't mean they have exactly the same everything only futurized, but it's still parallel.  If there's any venue where realistic graphics could be used, it would be in this Zelda game of all Zelda games: the bleak skyscapes and fantastic but rusty technology would be perfect for dark, realistic and shady graphics.  Of course, it wouldn't be ALL depressing, but on the whole I would like it to be a very bleak game.

« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2003, 05:49:39 PM »
me too.  I would love a Darker zelda game, and a futuristic setting such as described would be perfect for that.  Of course, like the above post said, its important to parallel the other zelda games in storyline.  It would actually be better to make a parallel of OoT.  
it was time for a change.

Offline Gibdo Master

• JA! MEIN LEAPEN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2003, 07:04:05 PM »
In the next Zelda game I would like to see it continue to be cel-shaded but without the deformed characters. I like how the enemies and environments look in Wind Waker but still don't really care for the deformed look Link and the other characters have. Something along the lines of how Link looked in Ocarina only cel-shaded would be nice. As far as the overworld I would like to see the the island/sailing thing continue but not as much of it. You see I've read in several reviews like on gamefaqs.com that since you have to sail to get just about anywhere and that most of the islands are very small it gets a little boring so I would rather see like 4 or 5 big islands instead of a bunch of tiny ones. Sort of like how it was in Adventures of Link.

I would like to see that one of the islands has been taken over by whoever the bad guy would be and that it is sort of like the Dark World in A Link to the Past. Lots of nasty zombie monsters, Poes, dark atmosphere, dead trees, nasty terrain, and maybe a swamp like Misery Mire.

As far as the dungeon set up goes I would rather it not be plain to the player that they have to go to x amount of dungeons and collect x amount of these in order to get into the last dungeon. I think this game should be more of a mystery and that Link has to do more investigating by talking to town's people, elders, and other things to figure out what to do next. Also as far as why you would have to go into a dungeon it would be for immediate advancement in the game. You would be able to use the main item you found in the dungeon and have to use it to advance to the next area. Like maybe there is an ancient door you need to get through but it won't open unless you use a special spell on an ancient scroll. You would have to find the scroll in some dungeon and that would be the big reward for fighting the boss.

It would be nice if Link could find armour upgrades that would change his appearance too. Nothing that would have him buried in armour to were you couldn't see him but it would be nice to maybe be able to get a mail shirt or something like that.

Finally I would like to see spells used a lot more in the next game. Something on the level of Adventure's of Link spell setup. You would still be able to get items and upgrade them but there would be a lot of spells that would be just as necessary and used as often as the items.  
Hey, kid! I’m a computer! Stop all the downloadin’! Help computer!

Offline Windwaker

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2003, 01:52:09 PM »
What would be awesome, how about something like this?

You start out in the regular Hyrule and do some quest which lead you to travel through time to like year 2100 and you can also go to like 1,000,000 BC. Kinda like in Chronno Trigger. That would rock, and you still keep the Zelda feel for all the people that wouldn't have it any other way. I really like the idea of ridding a dinosaur and in the same game riding a floating car or something futuristic But thats never going to happen..maybe the dino part will, but the future car thing...I don't think so.  

hehe, this has turned out to be a pretty interesting post. Keep em suggestions coming.  

Offline Mike-OPN2000

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2003, 02:12:36 PM »
I agree that the next Zelda game on Cube should also be cel shaded.  As previously stated, it would be a waste to discard it after one use.  Just like MM was very similar in look and style to OoT, the next Zelda should keep WW's engine.  I dont know how much they can improve the graphics, being that it already looks as good as some cartoons seen on TV.  I think they should have the second Zelda on Cube ready for launch in 2005, something to release against the PS3.