Author Topic: Super Paper Mario~!  (Read 39261 times)

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE: Super Paper Mario~!
« Reply #150 on: June 12, 2007, 03:31:31 PM »
SPM was a GOOD game.  Much better then New Super Mario Bros though.  The game had a slight identity crisis, a pension for making you back track, a bad habit of breaking flow, slow, and in general a little boring.  What saves the game is its wealth of variety in enemy and stages, good dialog, Mr. L, and well actually the characters themselves.  Though as a game it just didn't make for a cohesive whole.  I'm near the end though so we'll see if it can redeem itself above good.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline TrueNerd

• Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: June 13, 2007, 08:36:01 AM »
Wii Play? You prefer Wii Play?

I'm speechless. There's no speech.  

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
RE:Super Paper Mario~!
« Reply #152 on: June 13, 2007, 10:17:28 AM »

Originally posted by: Ceric
SPM was a GOOD game.  Much better then New Super Mario Bros though.  The game had a slight identity crisis, a pension for making you back track, a bad habit of breaking flow, slow, and in general a little boring.  What saves the game is its wealth of variety in enemy and stages, good dialog, Mr. L, and well actually the characters themselves.  Though as a game it just didn't make for a cohesive whole.  I'm near the end though so we'll see if it can redeem itself above good.

Yeah, this sums up my feelings of the game perfectly. It was a good game but has some issues that keep it from being absolutely fantastic.

And yes, I prefer Wii Play over SPM. Let the end of the world commence...  
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline TrueNerd

• View Profile
« Reply #153 on: June 13, 2007, 05:18:22 PM »
How? I could see an argument for Wii Sports, but Wii Play? I played that game for 30 minutes and I'm pretty sure I'll never touch it again. What did you find compelling about it?

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #154 on: June 13, 2007, 07:04:30 PM »

Originally posted by: TrueNerd
How? I could see an argument for Wii Sports, but Wii Play? I played that game for 30 minutes and I'm pretty sure I'll never touch it again. What did you find compelling about it?

First of all, you don't question or try to figure out a person's preferences. Yes, I am well aware that Wii Play is an infamous game among fans, but that didn't stop ME from enjoying it. One day I just brought it to SB's house and played it while he was working and I enjoyed it quite a lot. In fact, it surprised me how much I was enjoying it.

Second, I love simple, arcade type games like Wii Play. Its the type of game I like to play waking up in the morning or before I go to bed. Its even more addictive if I decide to get the highest score possible.

In short, I just DO. Get over it.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: June 13, 2007, 07:38:34 PM »
Tanks was the bomb, yo.

Super Paper Mario didn't impress me much. I rented it and was just bored. I'll probably rent it again. I just need to build up the desire to do so.

Offline Ages

• Wii the People
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: June 13, 2007, 09:07:28 PM »
I have to agree with the general sentiment here.  SPM is a good game, not necessarily a great one.  Backtracking is definetely bugging me, and I cannot stand looking for those stupid Pure Heart Statues or whatever the heck they're called.  I guess if anything, I purchased the game expecting something other than what I got.  I was hoping the game was more Super Mario with Paper Mario elements, when in reality it was more Paper Mario with Super Mario elements.
Mr. Madison, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you n

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: June 14, 2007, 05:00:57 AM »

Originally posted by: Ages
I have to agree with the general sentiment here.  SPM is a good game, not necessarily a great one.  Backtracking is definetely bugging me, and I cannot stand looking for those stupid Pure Heart Statues or whatever the heck they're called.  I guess if anything, I purchased the game expecting something other than what I got.  I was hoping the game was more Super Mario with Paper Mario elements, when in reality it was more Paper Mario with Super Mario elements.

Why would you expect a game called Paper Mario to be SUper Mario with Paper Mario elements?  
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline TrueNerd

• View Profile
« Reply #158 on: June 14, 2007, 07:52:54 AM »
Nintendo itself was saying the game was 80% platformer, 20% RPG. In truth, the levels were structured like a platformer, but in the end they were actually very similar to the chapters in The Thousand Year Door. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but I don't think it's any sort of jump in logic to have expected more of a platformer then what we got.

And Pap, I meant no hostility in my question. I was just curious.  

Offline Ages

• Wii the People
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: June 14, 2007, 08:01:50 AM »

Originally posted by: GoldenPhoenix

Originally posted by: Ages

Why would you expect a game called Paper Mario to be SUper Mario with Paper Mario elements?

Well it is called SUPER Paper Mario.  Plus, since the turn based battles were removed, it seemed like the game was going more Super Mario than Paper Mario.  I thought it would've been a bit more linear than it is.  At first it seemed like it was since the first couple of levels were straight left to right ala Super Mario.  
Mr. Madison, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you n

Offline Svevan

• Not Afraid of Being Afraid
  • Score: -9
    • View Profile
    • Continuity
« Reply #160 on: June 14, 2007, 10:09:27 AM »
For the love of Mike.

Even though this thread came first, I'm closing it down and asking you to move to the other one. For now. And forever.

Ooh, moderator gets the last word: the title of Super Paper Mario shouldn't be what determines how "Super" or "Paper" it is. Commence discussion here.
Evan T. Burchfield, aka Svevan
NWR Message Board Artist

My Blog