Author Topic: So I just saw the ending of Skyward Sword in HD(dolphin)...  (Read 2649 times)

Offline Nile Boogie Returns

• Tropical Freeze
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
and I think I want the WiiU Zelda to be a direct sequel to this game. I have some issues with SS and it's not my favorite Zelda game by a fair margin, but the things that the game got right, was RIGHT! Presentation on the whole was outstanding. The story, I feel is one of the better of the mainline series and the villain was flamboyantly well done with personality and vigor. Gameplay is my biggest problem but thats another topic indeed. While I don't want an HD remake, remaster, definitive edition, redux , remix or any other adjustment to this game, I feel like the world building that was created here and manifest in future games needs to be fleshed out.

I like the art style from both NintendoLand and "Tech Demo" as well, so if they were to go that route I would not oppose. 

*Always name you character "Link", it's the right thing to do!

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
Re: So I just saw the ending of Skyward Sword in HD(dolphin)...
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2014, 12:27:56 PM »
Skyward Sword's look is probably my favourite thing about it.  I would be fine with the series continuing with that graphics style.  It has all the pros of the Wind Waker look but without the Looney Tunes cartoon feel.  But that tech demo looked great and I'd probably prefer that.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2014, 12:29:42 PM »
A Link Between Worlds defaults the name as Link and asks if you want to change it. I always just named him Link because, you know, that's his name.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2014, 12:30:39 PM »
I'd enjoy if they were to take that tech demo further into the anime/gothic style TP tried to achieve.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2014, 12:47:55 PM »
I like my colorful and vibrant Zelda's better. It allows for a deeper transition in tone, from happy and cheery to dark and gloomy.

I also didn't have a problem with the controls at all. I found them to be fantastic for most things. The bow especially was the best it has ever been. And putting a spin on rolled bombs was completely underused. I also think the sword fighting spiced things up. It made even simple enemies a pain if you weren't paying attention. And lastly, SS made Link the most mobile he's ever been thanks to the stamina meter.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2014, 12:50:59 PM »
Maybe it's just from replaying it recently through the remake, but I really love the full-on toon style in Wind Waker. That game is just stunning in HD, probably the best graphics I've ever seen in a game, and I'd love to see what they could do with that style working on Wii U from the ground up.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

• Tropical Freeze
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2014, 01:18:00 PM »
I didn't mean I disliked the controls per se (although I thought they overthought the motion controlled flying parts). I mean there are parts of the game that dragged on.

The music notes fetch quest, parts of the songs quest and some other parts I could have did without. I didn't like the lack of a true overworld. Plus the sky, as a whole didn't have as much to do as I would like. Funny thing is, as I type this I feel like I'm being nitpicky as clearly the best parts of the game clearly outweigh the worst. Still, something didn't click like previous games..

I like my colorful and vibrant Zelda's better. It allows for a deeper transition in tone, from happy and cheery to dark and gloomy.

I love this contrast as well. A fully realistic, photo-like (skyrim) world can make a game feel truly ominous and odious and fearful but i find it harder for these games to show joy and amusement without it feeling forced.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 01:21:29 PM by Nile Boogie Returns »

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2014, 01:24:54 PM »
I'm actually playing through Skyward Sword for the second time since release with my brother right now, and though I think it's all around rock solid, the art direction is a real highlight. I too would be totally fine if they kept going with the impressionism thing, and would in fact like it if they went even toonier. Box art Liiiiink.

But seriously, how cool would it be if the "painting" style changed for different environments, times of day, weather conditions? A cheerful morning in the sunny countryside starts out with Van Gogh swirls, and later on on a stormy beach the game looks like a Turner piece.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2014, 05:28:05 PM »
It's certainly the best style of a 3D Zelda so far, and I like the style in Zelda Battle Quest also. Hopefully they'll use a style similar to one of these.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2014, 03:16:30 PM »
I would love to see a Zelda game where the styles switch up like that.  The SS water color style  for the overworld into a more Gothic style for a castle dungeon would be super cool.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

• Tropical Freeze
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2014, 03:06:10 PM »
This is proof that God is real...and he loves me!

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2014, 01:33:11 PM »
My favorite parts of Skyward Sword were its art style, its music, and the motion controls. :)
Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)