Author Topic: 9/11  (Read 3560 times)

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
9/11
« on: August 30, 2011, 09:55:25 PM »
Anyone have a story they'd like to share about 9/11? Whether it be what you were doing at the time or even if you were there that day at NYC.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
Re: 9/11
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2011, 10:07:30 PM »
Boy, this thread certainly isn't destined to go badly.

Well, as for me I was in college at the time.  I had late morning classes (11 AM), so I was up listening to the radio and playing games.  Same old, same old.  Then over the radio there's a sketchy announcement of a small plane (the reporters were very unsure of the details at the time) hitting the World Trade Center, and there was speculation that something might have gone wrong with a private plane.  Then the second one hits, and the truth becomes gradually clear.

Naturally, my classes were canceled for the day, and my mother asked me to go pick up my sister from our local high school.  High Schools being ridiculously full of bureaucracy, they made me wait until the entire school was released for the day.  At least I only had to wait a good half hour or so.

And yeah, that was kind of all the non-political stuff that happened that day.  Aside from a major occurrence of mass murder, it was a pretty typical day.   ::)   I continued to listen to the radio while playing...something.  It was September 2001, so it was very likely something GameCube and adventure-y, but I don't remember what.

Later in the day, I went in to work at my local drugstore, and as you might expect there was a sudden mad dash by people to purchase anything with an American flag on it.  We had the radio going all night, and people were pretty tense, but it was otherwise an ordinary night at work.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 11:13:30 PM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2011, 10:17:07 PM »
Surprising, I remember quite a bit from that day, considering I was only in first grade.

I remember my teacher telling us what had happened. She had simply said something had happened and that two buildings fell down. After school ended my mom told me more about it, but not much. She probably didn't want to scare me. Hell, I wouldn't have wanted to know if I was the age I am now.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2011, 10:24:55 PM »
I was in 10th grade, chemistry class I think. The principal came onto the intercom and said that the United States had been attacked (this was right after the planes flew into the towers and before we knew more). In shop class (which was the last 2 periods of my day that year), the teacher just let us watch the news coverage. I remember feeling numb, and spent the rest of the day watching the news.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2011, 10:35:50 PM »
I was sleeping in before an otherwise busy day. I found out about it the following morning while checking the news. Meh.
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2011, 10:40:53 PM »
How did no one tell you about it during the day?

Offline zachs1997

• Mr. Yuk Is Mean! Mr. Yuk is Green!
  • Score: -47
    • View Profile
    • zachworlds
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2011, 10:58:59 PM »
I was 4.  When it happend but I still remember the fighter plane noises in the air cause there where no other planes in the sky
If I had a dollar for ever time I have heard that. Because a dollar is worth more than a nickle.
Zachworlds.enjin.com

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
  • Score: 52
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2011, 10:33:00 AM »
I woke up and was pissed off that some news thing had taken up all the TV channels and I couldn't watch morning cartoons. Then I went to school and there had been an arson attack overnight, slowly my friends and I started to piece together the conspiracy.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 10:35:48 AM by Dasmos »
Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2011, 03:58:28 PM »
Starfox 3D was supposed to come out on 9/11/11
but NoA decided to delay it to 9/9/11 instead.

I'm not sure if they were trying to avoid 9/11, but depending on how you look at it, it's still being released on a date that reads 9/11

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2011, 05:43:08 PM »
I woke up after the first plane hit and the news was all that was on TV.  I was living with my parents and working at a photo lab.  I saw the second plane hit on live TV while I was eating my Waffle Crisp® cereal.  Then I went in to work and found that someone had set up a TV, and we pretty much spent the day watching the news trickle in.  It was a slow day.  I didn't know anyone there, so it didn't really affect me beyond the shock of seeing death on such a scale.  Then I came home and found that Cartoon Network was showing Kwickie Koala cartoons instead of regular programming.  I was ticked off the next day when they skipped an episode of Mobile Suit Gundam as a result, but it didn't matter because they just stopped showing the series the next day.  That Sunday, they skipped the Teddy Bomber episode of Cowboy Bebop on its first run.  So yeah, even though I was a grown man, I was still primarily affected by the lack of cartoons.  I at least got a nightmare out of the Challenger disaster.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2011, 05:53:57 PM »
I was in highschool, inbetween classes. I remember, as I gathered **** from my locker, my friend coming up to me and saying "Dude America is UNDER ATTACK!" I said back to him "Bullshit...Who the **** would be dumb enough attack us?" That's when he walked off to the TV around the corner.

I followed him and er'body was there watching the towers, still standing, smoking with flames as the pundits were shitting themselves.

The bell rang but everybody, including myself, stood there and watched. The principal came on the intercom and told us to go to our class rooms. So we eventually did. But then all we did for the rest of the day was watch the news as our teachers tried to put it in perspective.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2011, 06:47:52 PM »
I was in college at the time.  I didn't have class that day until the afternoon so as typical I slept in.  Odds are I had stayed up late the night before doing something on my computer, which was typical for me at the time.  Remember I'm in the Pacific time zone so a lot of this stuff happened very early in the morning.  My Mom woke me up and told me that airplanes had crashed into the two towers of the World Trade Center and the Pentagon and that the speculation was that terrorists had hi-jacked the planes.  It took a while for to realize the magnitude of it.  I remembered the Oklahoma City bombing and figured it was something like that.  Just thinking "what a bummer" and not thinking "this is so significant that for the rest of your life people will ask you where you were on September 11".  I remember when the first news of the fourth plane surfaced and how it had crashed without hitting a target.  The towers had not fallen yet and think they did while I was in the shower or something because I don't remember seeing that live on TV.  The towers falling is what really raised the death count and that's when the severity of the incident started to sink in.

I ended up going to school and just sort of living the day like I normally would.  We still had classes but there were TVs in the hallways that people were following the news on.  I think because I'm in Canada and the whole thing was on the other side of the continent, it did not affect my day much at all.  It wasn't talked about to the level that you would assume in retrospect.  I don't really remember much of the day at all.  It just ended up being a normal day of classes with some big tragic news occuring in the morning.

In fact it seemed that it became a bigger talking point in the days after.  Suddenly all sorts of people who had never been to New York or DC in their entire lives and did not know anyone from there were taking days off work to cope with the event.  There were people talking about it like it was some personal tragedy that they experienced firsthand, even though they merely watched it on the news like the rest of us.  I suppose one should be bothered by mass loss of innocent human life though we're bombarded with bad news all the time to the point where I think it's become normal to be desensitized to the death of strangers.  Perhaps that's not a good thing but it is what it is.  Anyway it became hard for me to determine who was legitimately bothered and who merely wanted the attention of being associated with the event.  As a result I became rather cynical about the whole thing, which isn't really fair to the numerous people who did die or lost loved ones or survived the attack or were directly involved in some way.  Unfortunately to this day I still associate it with phonies who wanted to play "victim" to get sympathy.  That's a shame.

It does however make sense that we still remember it ten years later.  It was a terrible tragedy and one of the saddest moments in American history.  And it has affected all of our lives.  Don't want to get political but if you go on an airplane, you know how things are different now.  You can't ignore how 9/11 has changed things.

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2011, 08:24:14 PM »
You can't ignore how 9/11 has changed things.

Ain't that the truth! We have far fewer freedoms now than before, and it's not because of some Muslim extremists. If this thread proves anything, it's that people still have that fear conditioned into them. :(
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• My Butt is Ready :reggie;
  • Score: -63
    • View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2011, 07:12:58 AM »

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2011, 08:37:34 AM »
Knock knock!

Who's there?

Nine Eleven.

Nine Eleven who?

I told you never forget!
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline RABicle

• Used to be The Finisher
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Pietriots
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2011, 01:32:36 PM »
I was watching TV and then the news came on and then I remember some guy talking with the buildings in the background and as he was talking it collapsing. He turned around and was lost for words, and then said
"There are no words."

Stayed up till like 3am glued to the telly.

Pietriots will be making a very special update to commemorate 9/11.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2011, 01:34:41 PM by RABicle »
Pietriots  - Post ironic gaming log.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 71
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2011, 02:53:20 PM »
I was in my senior year of high school when it happened, didn't hear about it until I went back home for lunch and found out my brother's college was closed because of them taking airport overflow.

Watched nothing but for 2 days straight.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2011, 07:02:50 PM »
I was in bed sleeping when the first plane hit.

My mom called and told me to turn it to the news. I saw the 1st building burning and the newscaster was talking in shock and disbelief... then

HOLY **** a 2nd plane hit the other tower live on TV...
now I was in a state of shock and disbelief.... I remember feeling like i was still dreaming and none of this could be real.

And I don't remember how much time had passed, but then watching as the towers fell and people were screaming and running and covered in soot. it was insane. None of it could've been real, all of this just felt surreal. Just thinking back to it now made my chest feel weird.

What a crazy day. Hope nothing like that ever happens again.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2011, 08:13:03 AM »
I was asleep until 3pm or so that day so by the time I got up it had all already happened.
is your sanity...