Author Topic: Nintendo Nexus: Next-gen name?  (Read 25483 times)

Offline Unseensoul

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Nintendo Nexus: Next-gen name?
« on: March 25, 2003, 08:36:58 AM »
I'm new here so I dont know if a topic like this has been posted before...  Anyways, to my point.
I've read a couple of post in the forums and saw that people talking about what the name of the new system should be.  I saw a few posts saying that the next system is going to be called "Nexus".

Although the name sounds cool, I dont think Nexus will be a good name for the system...  It sounds too... mature.  Well all know Nintendo main focus is the younger audience and mature gamers are second.  Calling it Nexus almost sounds like they're targeting the older gamers...I just dont see my younger sister having a "Nintendo Nexus".   I dont see "Nexus" mixing with a Nintendo console. I doubt they'll use it. It could works for a code name, but as the official name, it doesnt.  Annnyywwwaaayyy, that's my two cents.

What's your take on this subject? What's a good name?

-Unseensoul

Offline Termin8Anakin

• Auuuu =\
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2003, 06:15:24 PM »
Nexus is a kick-ass name!
Some people here would have said Nintendo N-Gage, but that has since been taken by Nokia for a GBA rival.
You know what I think would be a cool (but weird) name?
2Cube.
Comin at ya with High Level Course Language and Violence

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2003, 10:53:05 PM »
I like Cube^3 or Cube^2.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline GlaciusX

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2003, 01:22:52 PM »
I like the sound of Nexus, I was thinking Nintendo could go Retro with NES - what do you think¿

Offline rodtod

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2003, 05:58:03 PM »
I say the name could be Nintendo RodPod  
will the real rodtod please stand up, please stand up, please stand u-[SMACK!]

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2003, 02:39:43 PM »
Nexus sounds great, but I'm pretty sure the name has already been copyrighted by another company for some completely different product. The reason, I believe, Nintendo Nexus sounds so good is because you have the repitition of the "n" sound, which is very appealing to the ear. Anyway, I think the next Nintendo console should not include the words game, cube, or Nintendo in the main title (we should be bucking the trend of naming successing consoles similarly to their predecessors, like Sega's been doing). Here's some ideas from me:

Infinite
Nemesis
Proxima
Xeon

"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline Chris150

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2003, 09:50:56 AM »

Nexus sounds great, but I'm pretty sure the name has already been copyrighted by another company for some completely different product

I think Nexus is a brand of shampoo... I saw a bottle of it in my house.
AC Info:
Town: PsiWater
Name: Chris(space before the C)

Offline StRaNgE

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2003, 07:44:07 PM »
see the nexus for yourself

nintendo nexus

Offline JonTD

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2003, 10:06:20 PM »

Originally posted by: mouse_clicker
Xeon

Considering the line of chips from Intel, I doubt Xeon would pass Nintendo's legal department. Nexus probably would, though, unless some sort of computer hardware or gaming product has already trademarked the name.

I think the next Nintendo console should not include the words game, cube, or Nintendo in the main title (we should be bucking the trend of naming successing consoles similarly to their predecessors, like Sega's been doing).

Why?

Originally posted by: StRaNgE
see the nexus for yourself

nintendo nexus

Those specs are a little off. For one, I still wonder if we'll see a 2.0 GHz processor in the Gamecube. At any rate, there's no way we'll see a 2.0 GHz part from IBM on a 0.13 micron process in 2005. Furthermore, what's up with the USB and what are those dial things below the controller ports? I doubt we'll be seeing Blue-ray (at least, I don't feel so strongly about it YET) or a Gameboy cart slot.

I've already pointed out in another thread that IF Nintendo went with MoSys they'd be using 1T-SRAM-Q at the least. Even more advancements will probably come along from MoSys by then. I'm really not so sure about those bus numbers either.
- JonTD
(Does anyone even remember me these days?)

Offline JonTD

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2003, 10:07:05 PM »
- JonTD
(Does anyone even remember me these days?)

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2003, 11:49:04 AM »
Yeah, I just remembered that Xeon was an Intel processor (maybe that's why I was thinking of it ).

Anyway, I don't think game, cube, or Nintendo should be in the main title because it's boring and unoriginal. I don't like the name Playstation 2 because it's simply Playstation with a 2 slapped behind it. Super Nintendo was a pretty boring name as well, just a small addition to the Nintendo. Same for the Nintendo 64. Gamecube I like because it's really original for home consoles. I'd like to see something just as original and new next gen. Sega's the only company, I think, that really amde some great console names (Master System, Genesis, Saturn, Nomad, Dreamcast).
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline THE ONE

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2003, 12:44:02 PM »
YOUR ALL FORGETING ITS FAKE AND MOST LIKELY WILL NEVER EVER HAPPEN....................

AND THEIRS IS A NEXUS.COM WEBSITE ABOUT SOMETHING WAY DIFFERENT THAN THIS.......

OHH MY GOD AHHHHHHHHHHHHH AHHHHHH NOOO AHHHHHHHHHH HELPPPPPPPPPPP AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2003, 02:28:41 PM »
For starters, THE ONE, you can stop using all caps. Second, we do know that the Nexus is a mock up- we're just speculating about what Nintendo's next console will be like and since the Nexus is the best fan's opinion yet, we feel like discussing it.

Offline noentiendo64

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2003, 03:29:43 PM »
I am pretty sure Nintendos next system will include the word "game", like Nintendo´s top product, the Game Boy, even if the gamecube is less than succesful. Playstation 3 is a no brainer, and Xbox 2 is a pretty sure call, since all the money MS is eagerly spending in it is to create a strong brand identity for future products.
Now, the best "Game" name I can come up with is GameGear, but it was used before... GameStation? Gamebox? I think maybe GameCore would be a possibility. Does it sound like a magazine name?

If the word Game stays, what would you add to it?

Offline manunited4eva22

• Got 1337?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2003, 04:24:44 PM »
Gamebox is what my neighbor thinks gamecube is called.

t1-sram at 256MB...hahahaha
I would think .10 process or below, but weirder things have happened.

Offline DevilishDude

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2003, 04:26:16 PM »

I think Nexus is a brand of shampoo... I saw a bottle of it in my house.

NEXUS!  
:: My name Smeedle
:: Tingle, Tingle... Koolah Limpah! These are the magic words Tingle created himself. Don't steal them!

:: Homestar Runner Quote Of The Week:
:: Ow! My Stomach Lining

Offline rodtod

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2003, 01:32:44 PM »
Hey, www.nintendonexus.com isn't registered yet
will the real rodtod please stand up, please stand up, please stand u-[SMACK!]

Offline NarmaK

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2003, 12:00:05 AM »
A four dimensional cube is called a tesseract. Look tesseract up on google or something and u can find a java representation of it in 4 dimensions in a window and stuff. nexus is corny, a nexus is just a 3 dimensional web whoo hoo.

what about gba2 whats it gonna be called, i would guess unisex gamer ultimate or UGU.

Offline StRaNgE

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2003, 08:54:19 AM »

Those specs are a little off. For one, I still wonder if we'll see a 2.0 GHz processor in the Gamecube. At any rate, there's no way we'll see a 2.0 GHz part from IBM on a 0.13 micron process in 2005. Furthermore, what's up with the USB and what are those dial things below the controller ports? I doubt we'll be seeing Blue-ray (at least, I don't feel so strongly about it YET) or a Gameboy cart slot.

The little dials are supposed to represent channels for the built in wavebird technology.  A gameboy slot  would be awesome, having the gameboy player built in like that would sell systems like mad!

It might even sell as much as the GBA in that  case.

Offline RahXephon

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2003, 08:22:04 PM »
how about.....
N-Garde, you klnow like en-garde in fencing... you know.....  Take that Nokia.

But seriously, I would love the name nexus,  but even if nintendo was considering, they'll can the name just to come out with something to total surprise us.

Nintendo Dolphin.
Fry's Grandma in the past-"Killed., In an atomic Blast.... No sir I don't take much comfort in the fact the trigger function worked perfectly."
Fry-"There there, if it makes you feel any better, his body was vaporized, so there's no chance of him coming back as a zombie."
Fry's Grandma-"I'm no

Offline Belmont

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2003, 05:07:52 PM »
 Back when SEGA released the Genesis (many , many years ago - geez, im getting old), I thought it would be cool if Nintendo went with the name REVELATION for the successor to the NES, for 3 reasons : 1. I thinks its cool! 2. The superior graphics and power would be like a revelation. 3. The obvious biblical reference (genesis may be the beginning, but revelation is the end!).  Insted we got the highly innovative SNES (whopee).

Maybe the NINTENDO REVELATION will be the successor to the Gamecube???
A Belmont a day, keeps Drac' at bay!!

Offline Johnny

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2003, 10:41:55 AM »
I have the gamecube, but I think Nintendo Nexus is totally lame, and yes it is going back to the style like N64 which was a failure. I think Nintendo should go with dvd drive, I mean sometimes I can't fit my Gamecube in a slot because of having to open the cover to put a disc in. So Nintendo please go with a smiliar DVD-Format so that it can be eject in and out. One question, does it still play miny dvd-rom???
Johnny Taing

Offline NarmaK

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2003, 11:47:14 AM »
ok update on my tesseract idea, name it nesseract then the next one can be called snesseract

whoo hoo go nesseract erm Nintendo Entertainment Super System Erm Roogle And Cat Toes NESSERACT

SOUNDS COOL DONT IT

Offline mariomeatball

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2003, 05:27:57 PM »
I like the sound of Nexus.

Also, I think it would be sweet if Nintendo went old school. You know:

NES
SNES

And then maybe something like...

Ultra Nintendo Entertainment System- UNES- or some other adj... just an idea.

Offline SmellySocks

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2003, 05:44:37 PM »
Good idea, Mario!  I would absolutely love it.  Imagine the nostalgia!
What's that smell?