Author Topic: Wii U Becomes Profitable After One Game Sale  (Read 2062 times)

Offline Traveller

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
Wii U Becomes Profitable After One Game Sale
« on: November 25, 2012, 08:18:00 AM »

Nintendo may be taking a loss on the hardware, but it doesn't take much to recoup.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/32584

In a recent interview Nintendo of America's President Reggie Fils-Aime, has elaborated on how the Wii U hardware is currently being sold at a small loss, the first time in Nintendo history for a console.

Reggie stated that as soon as a customer buys just one piece of software, then that entire transaction becomes profitable.

The Wii U is currently being rolled out around the world, with North America being the first to launch. The system will be launching in Europe on November 30, and Japan on December 8.

Nicholas Bray - Australian Correspondent

Offline Ailingforale

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
    • The Video Game Backlog
Re: Wii U Becomes Profitable After One Game Sale
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2012, 09:29:16 AM »
That's awesome.  How are the sales lately though?  In my store and a few others I've seen you can still easily get a WiiU.  That makes me anxious.
TheVideoGameBacklog.com

Offline Mataata

• Score: 6
    • View Profile
    • My deviantArt page!
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2012, 10:25:34 AM »
That's awesome.  How are the sales lately though?  In my store and a few others I've seen you can still easily get a WiiU.  That makes me anxious.
I heard that, on its launch day, the Wii U sold more consoles than the Wii did on its launch. I'm assuming they're pretty good.
I love the Power Glove! It's so bad!

Offline joshnickerson

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2012, 10:33:55 AM »

I've yet to see a system in the wild, so could be regional or people that really wanted one ordered online.

Offline KITT 10K

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2012, 11:02:25 AM »
I got my Wii U on the 19th, (didn't have the money on the 18th), and when I got home I didn't want to eat or anything. All I wanted was to play it! I love when Nintendo launches a new system because I am always that excited about it! And for those who have the Wii U, my gametag is "KITT_10K". Feel free to add me if you wanna.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2012, 07:20:32 PM »
Is this really the first time a Nintendo home system was sold for a loss at launch? I could have sworn the Nintendo 64 was, but it's tough to find this kind of info out there.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2012, 10:40:23 PM »
Just as i expected was the case

Offline AV

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2012, 11:45:53 PM »
i saw some guy today buy 2 at gamestop ( regular not deluxe) the deluxe are hard to find. Once people get to play with it and see what it does, I think the sales will be fine.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2012, 10:18:47 AM »
I figure the WiiU will be a lot like Skylanders was.  It was easy to get everything before Christmas then afterwards it was much harder.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.