Author Topic: This Week's Virtual Console and WiiWare  (Read 8138 times)

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
This Week's Virtual Console and WiiWare
« on: January 05, 2009, 07:21:42 AM »
The first update of 2009 gets a dose of Kirby and crabs.
 http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/newsArt.cfm?artid=17481

2009 starts off with a bit of a whimper as this week's Virtual Console and WiiWare update features only two titles. WiiWare receives Konami's Sandy Beach, a sand castle tower defense game, while Kirby's Dream Land 3, the last first party game released on the Super Nintendo in America, lands on Virtual Console.    

Sandy Beach, developed by Konami, is focused on building sand castles and battling invading crabs by using cannons to defeat them. If your castle survives, you can use your metal detector search for beach treasures and more artillery  Sandy Beach has support for up to two players and is available now for 500 Wii Points ($5).    

The late Super Nintendo release, Kirby's Dream Land 3, is this week's Virtual Console game. King Dedede is up to no good again and it is up to Kirby to stop him, with some help from his friends. Kirby's Dream Land 3 is rated E for Everyone and is now available for 800 Wii Points ($8).    

WII-KLY UPDATE: ONE WIIWARE GAME AND ONE VIRTUAL CONSOLE GAME ADDED TO WII SHOP CHANNEL    

Jan. 5, 2009    

A new year means even more new games at the Wii™ Shop Channel, starting with a pair of imaginative titles to kick off 2009 in style. Anyone who loves Kirby™ can keep the confetti flying to celebrate the release of the classic Kirby's Dream Land™ 3 for the Virtual Console™. And if you're already desperate for a warm mid-winter getaway, check out Sandy Beach, a sand castle game on WiiWare™ that's loaded with sunny fun.    

Nintendo adds new and classic games to the Wii Shop Channel at 9 a.m. Pacific time every Monday. Wii owners with a high-speed Internet connection can redeem Wii Points™ to download the games. Wii Points can be purchased in the Wii Shop Channel or at retail outlets. This week's new games are:    

WiiWare    

Sandy Beach
(Konami, 1-2 players, Rated E for Everyone—Comic Mischief, 500 Wii Points): Enjoy a fun day at Sandy Beach as you build elaborate sand castles. You can work peacefully on your sand castle or enter into a battle with invading crabs in Crab Battle mode. Players will strategically build their sand castle and use cannons to defend it against an army of destructive crabs. After successfully defending your sand castle, discover beach treasures and additional cannons with your metal detector to customize your castle even more.    

Virtual Console    

Kirby's Dream Land 3
(Super NES™, 1-2 players, Rated E for Everyone, 800 Wii Points): Kirby, Dream Land's resident hero (and everyone's favorite puffball), must once again save the day when the mischievous King Dedede starts causing trouble. Kirby must travel through an assortment of levels, battling an exotic array of enemies (both new and familiar) determined to stop him from completing his mission. Always armed with his trusty ability to swallow enemies and gain special attacks, Kirby can also unite with some of his animal friends and make use of their particular talents. Featuring detailed graphics, challenging boss battles and the distinct charm of a Kirby game, it's no wonder this title is considered a classic.    

For more information about Wii, please visit wii.com.

Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
Re: This Week's Virtual Console and WiiWare
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2009, 03:24:27 PM »
This is contains one of my favorite abstracts I've written.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2009, 03:32:01 PM »
So, Kairon, how's the beach game?

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2009, 04:27:58 PM »
Someone else has probably pointed this out but WiiWare has really hurt the VC.  We get only one VC release a week now and we used to get two or three.  Logically WiiWare should not eat up so much time and resources that the VC has to suffer.  They're completely different things.  One is new content, one is old.  I think Nintendo just realizes they can get away with less frequent VC releases because they group them together with WiiWare.  I get regular emails about what's on the Wii Shop Channel this week (it arrives on like Friday for some reason) and the way they arrange it it looks like there's a lot going on.  But it isn't really because they group WiiWare and the VC together.

Online NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2009, 04:49:05 PM »
It doesn't really have anything to do with WiiWare, back around August/September we were getting 2 or 3 VC games and 1 or 2 WiiWare games per week. It was a big string of really good VC releases and then Nintendo decided that we had enough good stuff and slowed it to about 1 per week about a month ago.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2009, 04:58:16 PM »
They're too busy not working on a storage solution to port NES games to the Wii
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline AV

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2009, 09:09:10 PM »
It's a 1st party game this week so only One is ok.
I did enjoy the abstract, but I would have liked "Kirby gets Crabs and so Can you this week...."

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2009, 09:13:20 PM »
In general, 1st-party SNES games are very welcome additions.  I can't remember if I've ever played this Kirby, but I don't think I will download it since I recently went through Super Star Ultra (and didn't even think it was all that).

The sand castle game definitely sounds different.  I'll have to watch the trailer on Nintendo Channel.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Djunknown

• HEY! HEY! LISTEN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2009, 09:14:54 PM »
Never gave Kirby's Dream Land 3 a whirl back in the day. Is this a traditional Kirby game?
Ma ma sa, ma ma coo sa
Ma ma se, ma ma sa,
Ma ma coo sa

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2009, 09:35:27 PM »
I didn't play it back then but I recall from NP that it is the same type of game as Kirby's Adventure.I think it had 3 animal helpers.A fish,Owl, and something else. I also remember that player 2 could play as Gooey.I think thats his name.I only played Kirby's Adventure on the VC.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline TheYoungerPlumber

• Thy Rod and Staff
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2009, 09:40:39 PM »
Yes, Kirby's Dream Land 3 is a solid Kirby's Adventure-esque entry. I've played it at a friend's house and am strongly considering this purchase. If I recall correctly, DL3 leverages the animal buddy system to modify power-ups. There were most certainly more than three animals, though. Maybe five. Each level also has an optional mission (that sometimes isn't very clear) to help some random person/thing at the end of the level.

All-in-all, I recall it feeling quite a bit like Kirby 64.
::Michael "TYP" Cole
::Associate Editor
Nintendo World Report

"Only CHEATERS mess up!" -Waluigi

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2009, 10:14:07 PM »
I had Kirby's Dreamland back in the day, and it was awesome. Traditional Kirby game. Animal Buddies. The game is quite easy, but still fun and there are some full aspects that will have you revisit a level with a better game plan for completion purposes... I think... I think I remember that.

Also, 2-player co-op. GOOD TWO-PLAYER CO-OP!!!

So, Kairon, how's the beach game?

I'll get back to you. *pumps fist*
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2009, 12:36:39 AM »
I've wanted Kirby's Dream Land 3 for some time now but the original SNES cartridge is kind of expensive. The collector in me demands I buy games on physical media... but this download costs four times less than the SNES cartridge. :(

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2009, 01:42:48 AM »
Just start collecting downloads.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2009, 02:06:41 AM »
But there's always the fear that downloads won't keep. Collectors can protect their physical collections, but their digital connections are so fragile!

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2009, 05:55:21 AM »
Awww, 4/10.

Offline shammack

• "This space intentionally left blank."
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2009, 07:44:55 AM »
Awww, 4/10.

But is it fun?  Will I like it?

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2009, 08:35:42 AM »
no

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2009, 11:17:44 AM »
Kirby + Hamster = Win.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2009, 12:13:21 PM »
Anyone on the fence about Kirby's Dream Land 3 I have the original cartridge and it's a good game.  I think Super Star is the better Kirby SNES game but Dream Land 3 is still quite good.  It's typical Kirby though so if you're "Kirbied out" this game won't get you back in the series.

But one thing that Nintendo fans may like is that many of the seconday objectives involve cameos from other Nintendo franchises!  I won't spoil who shows up but when I first played it I had no idea about that and some of them were pretty cool surprises.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2009, 01:09:17 PM »
The BIGGEST mark I can think of against Kirby's Dream land 3 is that it's pretty easy. But really, Kirby was meant as a beginner's platformer. So *shrug*

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2009, 01:11:24 PM »
Kirby was always fairly easy so yeah.

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2009, 02:35:17 PM »
Dreamland 3 required me to think outside the box sometimes (and this was back in my grade four days). Best 1997 SNES release ever.
Peachy got himself a 360 Slim. ...Yahoo?

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2009, 02:49:39 PM »
I can't afford Dreamland 3 right now, but I'm definitely buying it in the future.

Offline AV

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2009, 03:56:39 PM »
But there's always the fear that downloads won't keep. Collectors can protect their physical collections, but their digital connections are so fragile!

meh. if your so paranoid you can copy it to SD card, than copy that to computer hard drive, than you can burn that on a CD. So you can have your precious physical media version of it.