Author Topic: PC Woes  (Read 3089 times)

Offline CO_Hawke

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
PC Woes
« on: July 17, 2003, 08:17:14 PM »
The other day I went to download.com, so I noticed the game download section.  They had Doom, so I said "yay Doom!!", so I downloaded it, started playing, but got bored after about 5 minutes so I quit.  But when I quit my desktop was horizontal!!!  You know how you're supposed to see it vertically?  Mines was horizontal.  So I went to the System Recovery on my HP PC, it erased everything I had on my PC but it solved the problem.  Can anyone tell me what happened?  This isn't the only time this has happend, it also happened when I downloaded Infantry.  I use Windows XP by the way.

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
RE: PC Woes
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2003, 08:18:14 PM »
I have no idea what you are talking about.  Can you be a little more descriptive of the problem?  Maybe with some screenshots?
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean

Offline CO_Hawke

• View Profile
PC Woes
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2003, 08:27:05 PM »
I'm not very computer smart but I'll try to describe the problem as best as I can.  You know how you have, say, the MyComputer icon on the upper left corner of the screen?  Well, when I had this problem that icon, along with all the others, were now on the upper right corner of the screen.  In other words, say you turned your monitor on its side, that's how it looked, all the icons were on the long side of the screen.  

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2003, 08:30:00 PM »
right click on your desktop.  Click Arrange by Name, Auto-Arrange, and Align to Grid.

Offline CO_Hawke

• View Profile
PC Woes
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2003, 08:37:21 PM »
That's it??!!(I am an idiot)  But I'm still paranoid about having to download games though.

Offline CO_Hawke

• View Profile
PC Woes
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2003, 08:38:29 PM »
Oh and thanks by the way.

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2003, 05:25:20 AM »
downloading things from the internet is just fine in most cases.  Don't trust downloads from disreputable sites if you are that paranoid.  In other words, don't download .doc or .zip files from P2P programs, and don't visit warez sites.    Download.com is a very reputable site, and the Doom download is totally legit, as the source code for the game was released to the public domain years ago.  If old games are your thing, then check out the underdogs, which is a huge archive of abandoned games, including a few of Silicon Knights's classics.

Truth be told though, I have about 20GB of stuff I downloaded from the internet, and I don't even have a virus scanner installed right now.  When I did have one, it was one that I got from the internet.  

I am basically a trusting fellow, and I RARELY get a virus.  When I do, it's usually because I networked mine and my sister's computer, and some of her virulent stuff managed to get into my own.  Her computer is like a big breeding ground.

Oh, and you are welcome btw.  

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
PC Woes
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2003, 07:08:01 AM »
Woah, Grey Ninja, that site is teh awesome.  I am currently downloading Blood Omen: The Legacy of Kain because it was the first one i found that I had heard of.  

17%.......19%........21%......22%........20%  WTF!?!?!?!?

As time goes by.....100%
YAY.
PLAY.
TODAY>
What's this, I want to play.....but which one of the hundreds of icons do I click on?

*click-click*  

does't matter.  none of them do anything.  except make a cut little error pop up.

ooh...ooh...what if I click on this folder here?

"KAIN"  oh this must be it!

*click-click*

"This game requires a CD to play"

Oh.. I get it, I have to BUY thegames...

WTF?!
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2003, 07:20:42 AM »
heh.  No problem.  I would really advise the Legacy of Kain game though, as it has all the music and FMV cut out of it.  I played about the first 20 minutes of it before deciding that it wasn't worth my while and put it on the back shelf.  I still have some small hope that I can find the PC or PSX version on a real CD someday.

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
    • View Profile
PC Woes
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2003, 07:23:14 AM »
oh, you posted.  well, read my above post.  I edited it to show you that I don't know what happened.

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2003, 07:30:58 AM »
It has a crack included with it though.  you can play the game, you just can't watch the movies or listen to the music.

Just copy Kain.exe from the crack.zip file to the KAINFNL directory, and run Kain.exe from KAINFNL, and it should work just fine.  This is a case where reading the .nfo file would be a help to you.  

EDIT:  gone.

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
    • View Profile
PC Woes
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2003, 07:50:48 AM »
Thanks Grey.

Offline Uglydot

• Jesus
    • View Profile
PC Woes
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2003, 08:33:14 AM »
They have Zork!  Thank you!

And Abuse...and the increadible machines....

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
    • View Profile
PC Woes
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2003, 12:22:21 PM »
Zork.  Here have some really, really boring zork

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2003, 12:39:59 PM »
I have one of the Zork games, and I made it pretty far, but one of the puzzles eventually became unsolvable for me, and I quit.

Anyways, glad you guys enjoy the site.  Don't bother with the Freespace 2 rip though.  It's worthless without voices and FMV.  It's a bit much to expect someone to read quickly while being shot at.