Author Topic: Full List of GameCube Remakes Announced  (Read 25672 times)

Offline Slade

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Full List of GameCube Remakes Announced
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2008, 04:58:44 PM »
Considering Metroid 2 Wii was shown at an E3 presentation ages ago, they've waited a long time to do this. That being said, they don't need to do this. The games had better have new content other than controls, or this will be exactly like Capcom's RE0 version: a cheap way to make money off the hardcore without actually giving them anything. So, this is Nintendo's plan? Give its loyal audience the same games full price with almost nothing new. Oh wait, they've been doing this for years. But these games were released a generation ago.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2008, 10:51:22 PM by Slade »

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2008, 05:05:20 PM »
Yeah because all Nintendo is releasing are these remakes. Come on people stop with the dramatics and complaining it gets OLD especially after a stellar conference with new games for the core base.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2008, 05:14:02 PM by GoldenPhoenix »
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2008, 05:13:07 PM »
Psst... I prefer the original Pikmin.

AMEN.  Pikmin 2 was great; Pikmin was magical.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2008, 05:35:52 PM »
Nintendo (actually Miyamoto) announced plans to port GameCube games to the Wii ages ago.  It happened long before this past E3.  It happened long before part of the fanbase developed abandonment issues.  It happened before the Wii even launched.  Check the date on this report.

This is the fulfillment of plans set into motion over two years ago.  It has nothing to do with Nintendo not liking some of you anymore.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2008, 05:37:42 PM by UltimatePartyBear »

Offline AV

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2008, 06:09:30 PM »
I'll buy Metroid Prime 2 if it has online multiplayer. That would be AWESOME. Awesome controls.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 03, 2008, 06:19:19 PM »
However, notice that Wii gamers got all the PS2 bonuses. We didn't just get RE4 with motion controls. We got more content, too. I expect that in the GC remakes.

To me the PS2 content was a reasonably decent justification for the Wii version.  I'm not too keen on reissues but Capcom actually had no slightly compromised versions of RE4.  The Cube version was missing extra PS2 features but the PS2 version didn't have as good of graphics as the Cube one.  So the Wii version is like the definitive version with a new controller scheme added in.  You could argue there was demand for a version that combined all the elements of the Cube and PS2 versions.  Note that it also has classic controller support if you want the original controls something I really doubt Nintendo will offer.  They didn't offer it with Zelda.

Capcom didn't have to create anything new though.  Nintendo will.  So the odds of significant new content happening is pretty low.  And even then again is that a good use of resources?  Couldn't they put that effort to something new that isn't, you know, already playable on the Wii if you do the ten seconds of research required to know that?

I do like Jonny's point though about how this forces Nintendo to do more with Pikmin 3.  My only concern is who will they make Pikmin 3 for: the original fans or the new audience?  If the Wiimake is significantly different then that might not result in the type of sequel existing Pikmin fans would prefer.  It guess it all depends how these turn out.

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 03, 2008, 06:31:25 PM »
Nintendo (actually Miyamoto) announced plans to port GameCube games to the Wii ages ago.  It happened long before this past E3.  It happened long before part of the fanbase developed abandonment issues.  It happened before the Wii even launched.  Check the date on this report.

This is the fulfillment of plans set into motion over two years ago.  It has nothing to do with Nintendo not liking some of you anymore.

Preach it. Anyone that thinks this is new news is a fool riding the "nintendo doesnt love me" bandwagon. The only reason we're discussing it is because we finally know some of the great GC games Nintendo plans on upgrading to Wii.

With that said, if you bought Pikmin/Metroid Prime (1 + 2 for each) during the GC era or any time after, good for you. If you havent, guess what; nows your chance!
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Schadenfreude

• It's human nature
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 03, 2008, 06:50:01 PM »
I did not enjoy the time limit of the original Pikmin; I couldn't take the pressure. I've been told Pikmin 2 gets rid of that and makes improvements.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 03, 2008, 06:53:30 PM »
I aam waiting for Super Mario Sunshine remake like they mentioned before!

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 03, 2008, 07:32:23 PM »
The new control scheme was spot-on, all the PS2 bonuses were awesome. I happily payed $30 for it.

I should have been more explicit. Capcom didn't exactly deliver on the widescreen front, and I just hope Nintendo doesn't follow their example.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 03, 2008, 07:52:38 PM »
Anyone that thinks this is new news is a fool riding the "nintendo doesnt love me" bandwagon.

To be fair I don't think you could really call Miyamoto talking about the possibility of Wiimakes at some hypothetical time as "news".  At best this was a rumour coming true.

Offline D_Average

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 03, 2008, 07:58:13 PM »
I aam waiting for Super Mario Sunshine remake like they mentioned before!

My thought is Nintendo knew about that tech when they developed the game and contemplated releasing a peripheral for it.
Don't hate me, hate the money I see, clothes that I buy
Ice that I wear, clothes that I try....

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 03, 2008, 08:03:35 PM »
Anyone that thinks this is new news is a fool riding the "nintendo doesnt love me" bandwagon.

To be fair I don't think you could really call Miyamoto talking about the possibility of Wiimakes at some hypothetical time as "news".  At best this was a rumour coming true.

I believe Iwata mentioned how the Wii could be a platform not only for simple, cheap games like cooking sims but also home to enhanced rereleases of GC games. In fact I explicitly remember him saying both of these in the same context indicating they were seriously considering it.So your spin doesn't quite make sense Ian. This was one of various things Nintendo was seriously considering doing with Wii.

Also not sure where you get this "rumor" coming true thought because a rumor at its core in the gaming industry is something that is "whispered" about in unnamed sources. Miyamoto clearly stated what they may do with the Wii and like I said, Iwata did as well, that is far FAR from a rumor.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2008, 08:05:29 PM by GoldenPhoenix »

Offline LuigiHann

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 03, 2008, 08:12:31 PM »
Yeah, I'd really like to see Luigi's Mansion and Mario Sunshine released with Wii cursor controls. Shame not to see them on this list.

Also, I'm a bit hesitant to be excited about Jungle Beat. Using bongos as a control method is interesting. Using the Wii remote to simulate bongos is interesting. But using the Wii remote to simulate using bongos as a control method is a step too far, and just ends up being stupid.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2008, 08:14:30 PM by LuigiHann »

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 03, 2008, 08:52:20 PM »
GOD I hope this isn't what Retro's been working on. Maybe 3 guys AT MOST if they are though.. AT MOST.

I wouldn't count on new features you guys. These are budget-priced, remember? They don't have to justify repurchases from people who've already played them, they're going after the people who didn't own GCs using the price as the reason, and not angling for repurchases from us.

AS FOR PRICE, the Japan Price sounds just a tiny tad on the high side. Wii Sports sells there for what... 5800? Zelda: TP sold for 6800? I guess that 3800 really is sensibly priced from several angles, but in my mind that translates to $35 or $40 US and that is just ludicrous (except for Pikmin!).

I do like this idea though, especially the Jungle Beat wiimake. Jungle Beat was vastly underappreciated, and deserves a second showing to an expanded audience. As for Pikmin... original Pikmin FTW! OH I'M IN HEAVEN! That's another game that I hope becomes a more stable Nintendo franchise.

Chibi-Robo is a strange choice, but I never quite "got" the game, and for it's fans it may be in the same situation I described for Jungle Beat. The Metroids are sort of... *eh* (Maybe I'll think about rebuying the first one).

I don't get the Mario Tennis choice, does Nintendo think the core gameplay wouldn't end up changed much in a Wii sequel, so why not just re-use it already?

When it comes from Miyamoto, it isn't a rumor.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline ATimson

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 03, 2008, 09:46:20 PM »
I wouldn't count on new features you guys. These are budget-priced, remember? They don't have to justify repurchases from people who've already played them, they're going after the people who didn't own GCs using the price as the reason, and not angling for repurchases from us.
Not many new features, no, but at a minimum I'd expect to see Wiimote/nunchuk controls (as opposed to the Classic Controller or GC controller), and 16:9 support. (Also progressive scan, but I think that pretty much every first-party title except Luigi's Mansion supports it.)

AS FOR PRICE, the Japan Price sounds just a tiny tad on the high side. Wii Sports sells there for what... 5800? Zelda: TP sold for 6800? I guess that 3800 really is sensibly priced from several angles, but in my mind that translates to $35 or $40 US and that is just ludicrous (except for Pikmin!).
Personally, I'm expecting these to retail for $30 here.
Grr. Argh.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #41 on: October 03, 2008, 09:50:20 PM »
"I don't get the Mario Tennis choice, does Nintendo think the core gameplay wouldn't end up changed much in a Wii sequel, so why not just re-use it already?"

Nintendo is saving money.  They know Namco is inept and Camelot can't do any better.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 03, 2008, 09:55:53 PM »
I DO believe they'll all feature wiimote + nunchuk controls. After all, why remake them if not?

However, I think we should basically throw any hopes of online out the window.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 03, 2008, 10:12:13 PM »
Not many new features, no, but at a minimum I'd expect to see Wiimote/nunchuk controls (as opposed to the Classic Controller or GC controller), and 16:9 support. (Also progressive scan, but I think that pretty much every first-party title except Luigi's Mansion supports it.)

Personally, I'm expecting these to retail for $30 here.

I stand corrected, as per UncleBob, all 7 games support Progressive Scan.
Games Nintendo should also re-release:

1080: Avalanche
Wave Race: Blue Storm
Wind Wanker
Cubivore
Geist

... And if they never make sequels for 'em they should release:

Fzero-GX
Luigi's Mansion
« Last Edit: October 03, 2008, 11:04:16 PM by DAaaMan64 - »
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline ATimson

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 03, 2008, 10:12:32 PM »
I DO believe they'll all feature wiimote + nunchuk controls. After all, why remake them if not?
Because they're looking for a quick buck? ;)

However, I think we should basically throw any hopes of online out the window.
Are there any multiplayer games they've announced besides Metroid Prime 2? (I haven't played DKJB, Pikmin 2, or Chibi-Robo, admittedly.) Or perhaps more to the point, are there any good multiplayer games that they've announced? :P
« Last Edit: October 03, 2008, 10:14:29 PM by ATimson »
Grr. Argh.

Offline ATimson

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 03, 2008, 10:17:34 PM »
Of the seven games these DON'T have progressive scan:

Chibi-Robo
DK Jungle Beat
Given how late those came out in the system's lifetime, that's rather disturbing. This site seems to think that both are 480p; could it just be that they aren't listed on the box, or have you actually tried them?
Grr. Argh.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 03, 2008, 10:42:28 PM »
I would buy Geist with pointer controls. Oh, I so would buy Geist with pointer controls...

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 03, 2008, 10:52:31 PM »
I just plugged them both in and they do feature Pro-Scan modes on the GameCube.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline TheYoungerPlumber

• Thy Rod and Staff
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #48 on: October 03, 2008, 11:02:25 PM »
mario tennis is a good move if they get the wii controls spot on. mt on gc was already a very mild update to the n64 version and it looked beautiful.

I hope this doesnt mean no more sequels for these series. perhaps like S&P on VC they are testing consumer interest?

pikmin 2 is unopened back home...
::Michael "TYP" Cole
::Associate Editor
Nintendo World Report

"Only CHEATERS mess up!" -Waluigi

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 03, 2008, 11:03:29 PM »
I just plugged them both in and they do feature Pro-Scan modes on the GameCube.

Ah okay, I stand corrected :) neither of them said on the back of the box.
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.