Author Topic: A Recipe for a Good Spider-Man Game  (Read 1125 times)

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
A Recipe for a Good Spider-Man Game
« on: June 26, 2012, 08:30:54 PM »
With the release of the new movie based video game The Amazing Spider-Man, one thing comes to mind about this game. The past few Spider-Man games have recieved lukewarm reception, and the quality of each title has been mediocre in some cases. However, what are some ways to make really good Spider-Man game?

Gameplay:

The gameplay of this dream Spider-Man game should emulate the battle system of Batman: Arkham City. Of course Batman always moved like an agile tank in his own game, but Spider-Man ahould move more like a cheetah. Fast and agile, and quick to take down his opponenets.

Mission Structure:

The side missions and main storyline should emulate Batman: Arkham City.

Graphics:

The graphics of the game should be some kind of hybrid between cel-shading and life like appearances. Something similar to Borderlands, Skyward Sword, Red Steel 2, and possibly XIII. The overall graphical style should appear to be a living comic book where the character models appear to be live action with a vinear of cartoon animation over their body. Of course a cel-shaded Spider-Man has been done before, but this new system should be something new, advanced and fresh.

Characters:

The game should find a way to interweave all of the heroes and villains into the story without crowding each other out. The way that Batman: Arkham City did this was superb. The next Spider-Man should find a way to have Spider-Man fight all of his villians, with some of his allies picking up the slack in DLC form.

Developer(s):

The developers for this game should be a combination of Raven Studios and Infinity Ward. Both developers have made excellent super hero games in the past, so both studios should co-develop the game. Let Infinity Ward work on the free roaming and side missions and Raven Studios could handle the single player and battle system.

Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
Re: A Recipe for a Good Spider-Man Game
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2012, 08:58:36 PM »
It's funny, because from what I heard about the new game (for 360/PS3), it does some of the things you want it to.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
Re: A Recipe for a Good Spider-Man Game
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2012, 09:34:18 PM »
So... essentially, it should be like Batman: Arkham City, except more agile. Meh.

I think any comic book-based video game suffers from an attempt to cover the depth of its title character, and ultimately fails. Which is largely why I think they should be avoided, even if they're "alternate timeline" renditions of character stories. There's just too much mythos and interconnectedness within comic book universes that diehard fans will hate for not being more faithful, and entering fans will dislike for being too cluttered.

Arkham Asylum got very lucky in its concept- locking the character in prison with all his enemies. But Arkham City was an overblown affair that was a bit too big to handle- and the ending was a foolish attempt to make something epic out of a character and a story that is in not way in canon in the first place. Unless that specific "Arkham" franchise is continued, the ending- and even the game, holds no relevance.

The best made superhero game(s), in my opinion, are the X-men Legacy games and the Marvel- Ultimate Alliance series, which attempted to tell comic-faithful stories while also being lighter on the character emphasis because it's a video game- there's no way you can connect with the characters based on the limited resources.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 09:47:19 PM by Evan_B »
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.