Author Topic: Rumors Persist, Sony to Do Something Big  (Read 4889 times)

Offline nemo_83

• Dream Master
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
Rumors Persist, Sony to Do Something Big
« on: May 06, 2006, 04:32:59 PM »

I'm in a state of confusion; I continuously read that Sony is up to something. I've read some say what Sony is going to show at E3 is going to be recieved negatively for some reason; some say it is a controller redesign. How could that be recieved negatively? Maybe because at the core it means they have to change the hardware which pisses off already frustrated PS3 developers struggling to port their games between the CELL and 360's CPU. Beyond that it means they can't launch this year (cue Sony fanboy spontaneously combusting on E3 showroom floor). It also means they better watch their steps because I assume Nintendo is well protected by patents. Does Sony really want another Immersion style lawsuit (though on a scale much larger next time)? Will Sony be able to have any kind of rumble in any controller they have? Then you have to take in affect the Sony fan(boys) who have convinced themselves that what Nintendo is doing is lunacy, some will not like that Sony has made them look like fools. Also you have Nintendo fans and the general media who are going to say to Sony, "Do you think you can pull this $hit on us, you copied this from Nintendo and we're not going to ignore it." There are more to things to consider but these are the biggies I think.

Life is like a hurricane-- here in Duckburg

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
RE:Rumors Persist, Sony to Do Something Big
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2006, 05:01:46 PM »
For those that aren't sure what Nemo is talking about , the BIG rumor about PS3 is that Sony is somehow incorporating some sort of motion sensor into the new PS3 controller.

The question is, if they were to figure a way around the patents, how much motion sensing are we talking about here? A little tilt and twist or 100% copied "3-D" motion sensing capabilities?

If Sony does do the middle ground between Graphic(MS) and control(Nintendo) how would their fans react? Especially after calling Nintendo crazy for having a "3-D" motion controller to Sony doing their best to copy it...

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
RE: Rumors Persist, Sony to Do Something Big
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2006, 05:59:12 PM »
I wouldn't doubt it if Sony does, they've copied other things Nintendo's done in the past so it'd be no surprise if they did this.  

And if they did, watch as everyone will praise Sony for doing it because to the mass public, whatever Sony does is cool.  
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2006, 07:01:30 PM »
They've already doubled the control stick and the LR shoulders.

Remote already has dual/3d motion sensing, they can't double the motion sensing. They already have more buttons, no need to do that. From the boomerang shape, one can only assume the redesign will become a four-pronged nunchuck (though this is only 1/3 more prongs than the N64 had). Sony must copy what Nintendoes.
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline nemo_83

• Dream Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2006, 07:12:29 PM »
I believe they will use some laser sensor and/or camera that allows their game pad to have pointer control.  It isn't 3D motion sensing like Nintendo's remote, and it doesn't allow for control for each hand but it means their games will have have more advanced interface than 360 which may sway the dollars of many wondering whether they should get a 360 or PS3 to go with their Revolution, ****, I mean Wii.  

batarang

Don't direct link to images not on your own server.

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2006, 08:07:16 PM »
First off, the fanboys will follow whatever Sony does, it's in their very nature after all.

Secondly, if Sony does do this, then I feel that Microsoft will be very screwed being the odd one out without any kind of motion sensing in their controller, and would likely miss out on a lot of support on account of it.
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2006, 08:53:25 PM »
It's probably just a controller redesign. Nothing too major, probably won't direclty copy Nintendo. I bet it's just a minor change in the shape making it 14 and a half percent less crappy.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline SixthAngel

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2006, 09:58:02 PM »
I think regularly Sony wouldn't copy something like this because it is a risk Nintendo is taking that could backfire.  With the recent success of the DS I can see them changing their mind about copying the new interface though.

Offline TrueNerd

• Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2006, 12:00:34 AM »
You can't half-ass something like this. You either go the full monty or you don't go at all. Plus, this will be entirely a reactionary move, like Sony is scared of losing to Nintendo. It will make them look weak, and rightfully so. I will not buy a PS3 if they try and pull this sh*t.  

Offline odifiend

• "Who's the tough guy now Vinnie?"
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2006, 06:52:50 AM »
Probably changing the name to Frii
Kiss the Cynic!

Offline Kraven

• One of the goofier Spider-Man villains
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2006, 07:03:07 AM »
The system will be called the Playstation Thwii, and will have all the same functions as the Wii.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2006, 10:21:49 AM »
This is just Sony trying to make people talk about the PS3 a bit. Right now Nintendo is occupying everyone's mind and Sony can't have that.

Offline jasonditz

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2006, 10:47:09 AM »
Sony needs to worry more about getting the PS3 to market it a timely fashion and at less than the price of a used car.

I probably won't make my decision on what console to get first until after E3 (I'm leaning towards the Wii obviously, but with some reservations until we know more about it), but at this point Sony doesn't even enter into it. And I eventually got a PS2 and was quite happy with it... it's just that the PS3 seems, much like the PSP, priced towards a much richer market than I.

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2006, 11:13:58 AM »
WiiS4
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline SixthAngel

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2006, 11:14:20 AM »
Good point jasonditz.  With the already (estimated) ludicrous price of the ps3 wouldn't adding something like this just bring the price through the roof?  I don't think they will copy it but instead mention some sort of half-assed add on just to keep some people blind about what they are missing.

Offline Requiem

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2006, 11:31:12 AM »
Not only that, but Nintendo's techonology is still unproven. They would be stupid to copy it now and watch it flop in a year.

A company like Sony, that is in a huge financial hole, can not afford to do something so controversial.
"Hey....

I'm not a whore, ok? Really.....really, I'm not.

But, if she slips man....if she slips, I slide!"

Qoute of the Summer

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2006, 11:41:37 AM »
Hmm...if I were Sony...what would I do?....hmmm....

umm...build in the eye-toy 2 (which would have limited color-based motion sensor technology) into the ps3?

Umm...yeah...this is a toughy...

~Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline nemo_83

• Dream Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2006, 12:25:20 AM »
So yeah, I really had my finger on the pulse on this one.