Author Topic: What old franchises should Nintendo bring back?  (Read 12772 times)

Offline odifiend

• "Who's the tough guy now Vinnie?"
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE: What old franchises should Nintendo bring back?
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2004, 03:54:09 PM »
Country?
Kiss the Cynic!

Offline Rancid Planet

• Hobo pill hypnotizes over the internet
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
RE:What old franchises should Nintendo bring back?
« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2004, 05:24:03 PM »

Originally posted by: Kaboth
I wanna see a 2D Donkey Kong Country 4 more than anything else but perhaps Nintendo doesn't have the rights to using Country in the same sentence as Donkey Kong since Rare left.

Well that hasn't stopped RARE from releasing the DKC ports onto the GBA has it?

Offline kennyb27

• President of Nintendo. Seriously!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2004, 05:34:24 PM »
I'm sure that Nintendo does have the right to use "Country" in the name of a new Donkey Kong game.  They probably haven't because no new DK games have been altogether related to the "Country" Series.

Well that hasn't stopped RARE from releasing the DKC ports onto the GBA has it?
I hope you know that Nintendo published the DKC ports on the GBA.
-Kenny

Now Playing: I-Ninja (GC), Pokemon LeafGreen (GBA), Nintendogs (DS), Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour (GC)
Just Finished: Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker (GC), Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door (GC) Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap (GBA)
Need money for: Advance Wars: Dual St

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2004, 06:30:59 PM »
Rare released the GBA ports because Nintendo wanted them to and Nintendo published them(it is a Nintendo property after all).  Also Microsoft doesnt care  about the GBA Rare support since GBA isnt a Xbox compeditor.

On the Tepid Seat the Rare GBA team defended Donkey Konga, Donkey Kong: Jungle Beat  and Donkey Kong: King of Swing.  
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline Famicom

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2004, 02:23:34 PM »
While I agree with Ian's comments to an extent (can't live without my Mario Tennis...and my N64 cart just gave me a "data is corrupted" error ), I'd love to see another Punch Out. And how about that Sin and Punishment?
Oops pow suprise!

Offline nemo_83

• Dream Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2004, 12:56:29 PM »
Next genereation Nintendo needs to use the franchises of Mario Bros (with DK in it), Zelda, Metroid, Kid Iccarus, Mario Kart(Mario Kart meets GTA minus the gore), Mario Party(the minigames should all be 2d platforming stages), Star Fox (flying only), Fzero, and Super Paper Smash Bros; and all of those franchises need to be online multiplayer/coop games.  

Other than that I want to see nothing but new original material.  Nintendo needs a new original AAA shooter in its deck of cards as well as a traditional in house RPG.  
Life is like a hurricane-- here in Duckburg

Offline Perfect Cell

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2004, 06:50:15 PM »
Sports games!

Punch Out, Kobe Bryant NBA, Ken Griffey MLB (Replace Ken with Ichirooooooooooo) The Cube lacks these games...  ID like to see Nintendo pick up the slack.

Offline nemo_83

• Dream Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2004, 07:47:56 PM »
Punch Out has been MIA for a long time.  I miss it badly but I dont expect Nintendo to bring it back.

I heard that Nintendo and EA are working on Nintendo themed sports games posibly for next generation.  Imagine NFL Mario Land.  

Offline notic

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 22, 2004, 12:03:59 PM »
Where'd you hear that?
Check one two~Who got more style than son do

Offline Perfect Cell

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 22, 2004, 01:57:06 PM »
Well Metroid was missing for the same amount of time as Punch Out and it came back this generation.  I still hold hope to see it with the Revolution. Especially if its got some cool Gyroscopes and sensors, so you can duck and weave like the Konami Arcade Boxing game.... That would rock the Cashbaw....

Oh and not horribly original or anything but I want a Smashbrothers 3 Nintendo vs the World for the Revolution. With Joe, and Sonic! Not an old franchise, but so what, i wanted to point that out that i want a cool new Smash Bros for the next Console.  

Offline MaleficentOgre

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 22, 2004, 04:39:52 PM »
That would cost a lot, nintendo would most likely have to pay the other companies for use of their characters.  Also neither of those characters are nintendo exclusive any more.  If they were it would be easier.  If nintendo could somehow work that out, and possibly have it come out around revolution launch time they would have a huge boost over the competition.

Offline Perfect Cell

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 22, 2004, 06:27:23 PM »
Yuji Naka already has said hed like to see it happen... Nintendo has great relations with Sega and Capcom....  Id add Namco too Just to add Pacman.

Would it be expensive? Yes.... but it would sell like Hot cakes .

Nintendo could probably make some deals to pull it off...   Namco got Link for Soul Calibur..  

Offline MaleficentOgre

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 22, 2004, 06:38:52 PM »
I'd like to see Namco make a 3D smash brothers game.  Or just use Zelda characters.  I also wouldn't mind seeing Xevious make a comeback. Wait. . . Gyromite.  Gyromite should make a comeback.  Ikari warriors.  That's it.  maybe tetrisphere. no not tetrisphere.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #38 on: September 22, 2004, 09:16:00 PM »
OMG

IKARI WARIIORSZ!!
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Rancid Planet

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 23, 2004, 12:56:23 AM »
All I want is a damn 3D Bayou Billy game. Is that so much to ask for?  

Offline MaleficentOgre

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 23, 2004, 08:44:52 AM »
I'm sold on the idea of ikari warriors coming back.

Offline nemo_83

• Dream Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 26, 2004, 10:31:35 AM »
The Revolution's supposedly revolutionary hardware would definetly give a new Punch Out the punch it needs to seperate it from all of the other boxing and fighting games ever made.  We would finally be able to control the action on screen directly.  They would truly be able to claim no lucky punches if cameras and/or gyro sensors were translating the speed, strength, and direction of your punches.  The Punch Out games always put the camera behind your character so a control setup where your punches are translatted to the screen would work well.  It would mean either having to use split screen or broadband to play multiplayer.

I think that could become the funnest game of all.

I dont understand why people still insist on Pilot Wings.  They didn't make it on Cube.  Nintendo knows it won't sell as well as other things they could put out.  I don't see how the hardware could progress the game any.  And most of all why waste time and money on Pilot Wings when there is a true demand for Kid Iccarus to come back in a big way like Metroid did.  

With the revolutinary hardware there will be a reason to make original exclusive games on Revolution.  You will be able to do things that the PS3 and Xenon systems could only hope to simulate.  It is not just the matter of coming up with a solution for camera problems in 3d games as much as it is the ability to really grab a hold of that non existent polygon character as if it were a marionete and move it around on screen any way you want to, not just run and jump any more.  We will finally have direct control of the arms of the characters if the rumors turn out true.

Offline MaleficentOgre

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 26, 2004, 03:23:11 PM »
I think kid iccarus is coming back in a big way like metroid.  I think we've all seen it, and I think it has crept back into the shadows.  The game was never officially canceled, which leaves me to beleive that its going to pop up as a revolution launch title.  Probobly just wishful thinking, but I don't think the studio working on it is doing anything after their current project.

Offline Rancid Planet

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 26, 2004, 09:11:59 PM »

Originally posted by: nemo_83

I dont understand why people still insist on Pilot Wings.

For the same reason people insist on Kid Icarus...simple, true, love of franchise. A whole lot of people got turned on to the Pilotwings franchise back when Pilotwings 64 came out. Do to lack of software at the time, if you wanted to play something besides SM 64 this was pretty much your OTHER choice. People have been dying for a new installment ever since.

It's such an odd franchise when you think about it really. Have you ever tried explaining a Pilotwings game to someone who has never heard of it before. You'll get looked at like you have a horn growing out of your head while you're like "No I SWEAR it's FUN!"

Offline nemo_83

• Dream Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 28, 2004, 08:38:51 AM »
I feel it is possibel to see punchout or the kid come back like metroid did but pilot wings was never a hit like those three games.  Pilot wings has nothing to come back to except for the hardcore Nintendo gamers.  Truthfully it just can't be marketed to the mainstreme unless they couple it with a really really really badass comercial.  

If they did a Pilot Wings I would get mad at them for wasting time.  They could put that time and effort into Kid Iccarus instead.  Pilot Wings wouldn't help Ninendo's image next generation as a key launch title.  Then again if they kiddied up Kid I would die.  The game would already have to much running against it with the word Kid in its title and being on a Nintendo console which gives it the imediate idiot's impression that it has to be for kids.

Offline PaLaDiN

• I'm your new travel agent!
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 28, 2004, 08:44:33 AM »
"If they did a Pilot Wings I would get mad at them for wasting time."

What do you mean, if? Factor 5 is already working on it.
<BR><BR>It shone, pale as bone, <BR>As I stood there alone...