Author Topic: PODCAST: Radio Free Nintendo: Episode 113  (Read 39912 times)

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
Re: PODCAST: Radio Free Nintendo: Episode 113
« Reply #50 on: September 03, 2008, 12:08:31 PM »
Personally, I'd pay $20 for DWARF FORTRESS.

If I can have fun with a game and the price fits that fun, I don't care if it's on the PS3, DS, or Dos 3.1.

Heck, I went and bought River City Ransom for $15 at a Funcoland around ten years ago just because that game is an amazing brawler/RPG combo (with co-op!). God I love that game... totally worth it to plug it into my NES. Old technology? Bah. A unique, fun, experience.

... Oh, and uh... I'd pay $50 bucks for the Monkey Island games if they ever rereleased...

Kairon makes a good point, what about those classic games that sell for $50-100? I mean that is the ONLY way to get the CD-I Zelda games. ;)
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 03, 2008, 01:46:25 PM »
Personally, I'd pay $20 for DWARF FORTRESS.

If I can have fun with a game and the price fits that fun, I don't care if it's on the PS3, DS, or Dos 3.1.

Heck, I went and bought River City Ransom for $15 at a Funcoland around ten years ago just because that game is an amazing brawler/RPG combo (with co-op!). God I love that game... totally worth it to plug it into my NES. Old technology? Bah. A unique, fun, experience.

... Oh, and uh... I'd pay $50 bucks for the Monkey Island games if they ever rereleased...

Kairon makes a good point, what about those classic games that sell for $50-100? I mean that is the ONLY way to get the CD-I Zelda games. ;)

I WOULDN'T pay for those, and most of the market wouldn't. I think thats why there isn't a large market for these high priced games ;).

I'm amazing how many 60 dollar 360 games and PS3 games people buy.
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #52 on: September 03, 2008, 04:14:53 PM »
I'd pay $50 for Dragon Quest IV if I wasn't (probably) going to get it for free to review.

I currently own four Xbox 360 games but only paid full price for one of them (GTAIV).  I got Crackdown for $15 used, Burnout Paradise for $20 new, and Call of Duty 4 for $40 new.  I've also played through Gears of War and Assassin's Creed through GameFly for the equivalent of $5-10 each.  I think the $60 price tag for HD games is too high, and it's one thing keeping people from buying those systems (but the hardware price is a much bigger issue).
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline DAaaMan64

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 03, 2008, 04:17:03 PM »
I'd pay $50 for Dragon Quest IV if I wasn't (probably) going to get it for free to review.

I currently own four Xbox 360 games but only paid full price for one of them (GTAIV).  I got Crackdown for $15 used, Burnout Paradise for $20 new, and Call of Duty 4 for $40 new.  I've also played through Gears of War and Assassin's Creed through GameFly for the equivalent of $5-10 each.  I think the $60 price tag for HD games is too high, and it's one thing keeping people from buying those systems (but the hardware price is a much bigger issue).

It's not that I'm arguing that people won't or there isn't a market for that, I just won't pay that much ;)

I tend to thing that game systems and games that cost that much are niche anyway.

Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 03, 2008, 04:19:53 PM »
I never pay $59.99 for normal games (I pay premium prices for Collector's Editions, but that's expected).  I keep daily tabs on CheapAssGamer.com and typically get new games in the sub-$50 range.
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 03, 2008, 05:09:52 PM »
I really think the $60 price point for 360 and PS3 is borderline retarded. It is hilarious when you get a BETTER version of most of those games on PC including better technology for $10-20 less.

Offline D_Average

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 03, 2008, 05:21:18 PM »
I really think the $60 price point for 360 and PS3 is borderline retarded. It is hilarious when you get a BETTER version of most of those games on PC including better technology for $10-20 less.

True, but I'd rather game from the comforts of my home theater...

Don't hate me, hate the money I see, clothes that I buy
Ice that I wear, clothes that I try....

Offline DAaaMan64

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 03, 2008, 05:41:12 PM »

yes I agree and for us linux users the persuasion goes even deeper. I also hate installing stuff or wasting anytime configuring.

Frozen Shoe Games

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 03, 2008, 05:43:56 PM »

Which is why it is the gullible fee. ;)

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #59 on: September 03, 2008, 06:02:23 PM »
PLEASE stop quoting that photo!

I am more than happy to buy the PC version of a game under two conditions:

1) Doesn't require a console-style game pad, because I don't own one.  Plus, I would probably rather play that kind of game on a console.
2) The developer/publisher is known for quality PC versions.  Some companies like Activision and Capcom do release their games for PC but in crappier versions.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: September 03, 2008, 06:07:13 PM »
PLEASE stop quoting that photo!

I am more than happy to buy the PC version of a game under two conditions:

1) Doesn't require a console-style game pad, because I don't own one.  Plus, I would probably rather play that kind of game on a console.
2) The developer/publisher is known for quality PC versions.  Some companies like Activision and Capcom do release their games for PC but in crappier versions.

That is true from time to time regarding ports to PC but it seems it is rare. DMC4 and Lost Planet from what I understand are great ports to PC and since I have a 360 gamepad I have no control issues.

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 03, 2008, 06:21:47 PM »
Regarding 1), I bought a game pad for my PC, and it paid for itself after three game purchases, but I thought I heard the 360 controller works with a PC out of the box.

2) What are you referring to, exactly?  Performance issues?  Missing features?

Offline AV

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 03, 2008, 06:23:25 PM »
this topic has gone to hell. and it wasn't my doing. HA HA if anything i added to it with my youtube movies.

I wouldn't mind paying 1500 Wiipoints for a game as long as its a fantastic game.

I had no problem playing $12 for Sin and Punishment for Virtual Console and my friend and I only played it once, but it was really really fun few hours. even if it was only 3 hours I had no problem paying for Lost Winds for $10.

The mental block is set by the fact you can buy 2000 points cards. So $15 is the Vast majority of that card is what 90%. yes you can buy more points online with debat/credit card (30-50 range) but I tend to only buy 2000 points from that anyway since i don't buy games on that all the time so the points usually stay on my wii until something seriously peeks my interest. So the question pops up is the game worth the majority of points i have? 
Not only that do I have space for that?
Like said in the podcast, I don't want to go threw the BS of deleting games. If the file is to big.

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 03, 2008, 08:26:16 PM »
but I thought I heard the 360 controller works with a PC out of the box.

It does not.  There is a version 360 controller for PC.
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline Smakian

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
    • Twitter Feed
« Reply #64 on: September 03, 2008, 09:16:04 PM »
Personally, I've got a USB adapter and drivers that let me use my old Xbox 1 gamepad with my PC.

Of course, the offset for cheaper PC games is the additional money one puts into a truly quality gaming rig versus any of the consoles.
Everyone is entitled to their own opinions. Mine are just the correct ones.

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 03, 2008, 09:37:49 PM »
Yeah, the extra money for console vs. pc games is a "convenience fee" of sorts.  One that I don't mind paying.  If I really want a game for PC (e.g. Oblivion), I'll wait until the Game of the Year Edition is released, and then get that for as cheap as I can.

That is fine if you are talking about graphics on the same system. What Lindy is saying is that a Wii game (or in his example a WiiWare game) is of less value regardless of its depth or even the work put into it than a 360 Arcade game.

As a general rule, yeah.  It's like how I expect to pay more for a PSP game vs. a DS game...because there's more development overhead involved on PSP, I can understand being charged a bit more for the end product.
Jon Lindemann

My Game Backlog

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 03, 2008, 10:16:24 PM »
The corded version of the 360 controller works with the PC out of the box.

On the subject, I liked Karl's bookends. Let's have him edit every week!

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 03, 2008, 10:31:03 PM »
Yeah, the extra money for console vs. pc games is a "convenience fee" of sorts.  One that I don't mind paying.  If I really want a game for PC (e.g. Oblivion), I'll wait until the Game of the Year Edition is released, and then get that for as cheap as I can.

That is fine if you are talking about graphics on the same system. What Lindy is saying is that a Wii game (or in his example a WiiWare game) is of less value regardless of its depth or even the work put into it than a 360 Arcade game.

As a general rule, yeah.  It's like how I expect to pay more for a PSP game vs. a DS game...because there's more development overhead involved on PSP, I can understand being charged a bit more for the end product.

This is an view of end-pricing driven by the cost of making the product, as opposed to a view towards pricing a product according to how much the end user wants it, and what the market can bear. Both are probably applicable, though I personally believe the market-oriented approach is and should be more dominant.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #68 on: September 04, 2008, 11:55:17 AM »
but I thought I heard the 360 controller works with a PC out of the box.

It does not.  There is a version 360 controller for PC.

True, MS sells a PC-branded 360 controller for ten dollars more.  It's EXACTLY the same as the corded 360 controller.  But I have a wireless controller, which doesn't work on PC.  In fact, all 360 SKUs now include the wireless controller.

As for inferior PC versions of multiplatform games, there are numerous examples ranging from Madden to Spider-Man.  Publishers usually dump the PC version onto a small dev studio with little quality control.  That trend may be changing... as more companies now don't even bother releasing PC versions.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 04, 2008, 12:21:06 PM »
It seems there's a receiver available for the PC.  Now that I think of it, though, it's kind of useless.  If I had a 360, I'd buy those games for my 360 so I wouldn't need to use my 360 controller on my PC.  Since I don't have a 360, I'd have to buy both the controller and the receiver separately if I wanted to use a wireless controller, and that's ridiculous.

Offline Yoshidious

• Silent Partner
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 04, 2008, 03:42:54 PM »
As always, it was a pleasure to sit back and listen to an episode of RFN that is not blighted by my own presence. It was also fun to hear Karl's bookends, though it did remind me a bit of those old-fashioned intro-outros for horror movies on TV - Karl is our Vampira, confirmed. Look forward to our forthcoming RFN feature production starring Karl, Plan 103 From Tallahassee.

D_Average, I'm afraid my days were so full due to travel time (from Aurora where we were staying), various convention-related appointments and associated hanging around for things to begin that I had practically no downtime in Denver at all. It was all pretty gruelling in its own way, but it was certainly a very worthwhile experience nevertheless. In any case, I appreciate the thought and regret that I didn't get to see more of the city in my time there.
Greg Leahy
Former RFN Editor

Offline Smakian

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
    • Twitter Feed
« Reply #71 on: September 04, 2008, 04:11:54 PM »
Also- I actually prefer Halo's pacing to the more twitchy shooters. It's more strategic; more about what you do once the shooting starts than who gets off the first, most well-aimed shot.
Everyone is entitled to their own opinions. Mine are just the correct ones.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 04, 2008, 05:28:36 PM »
So how awesome was America, Greg?

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 04, 2008, 05:48:22 PM »
This is an view of end-pricing driven by the cost of making the product, as opposed to a view towards pricing a product according to how much the end user wants it, and what the market can bear. Both are probably applicable, though I personally believe the market-oriented approach is and should be more dominant.

I think the ideal price would be a balance of the two.  The consumer wants a markup that's reasonable, while the producer wants to get as much money for the product as possible regardless of production cost.  I guess what I'm saying is that there's a tipping point where the consumer thinks that the markup is unreasonable, and the producer is just being greedy.  That tipping point for me with DS games is $30.

Of course, even $30 is arbitrary...I might be getting screwed at that point too, but it doesn't feel like it because $30 has been the "magical" price point for portable games for a long, long time.

Makes me want to go out and read a book on how companies determine the price points for their products.
Jon Lindemann

My Game Backlog

Offline D_Average

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 04, 2008, 06:03:44 PM »
D_Average, I'm afraid my days were so full due to travel time (from Aurora where we were staying), various convention-related appointments and associated hanging around for things to begin that I had practically no downtime in Denver at all. It was all pretty gruelling in its own way, but it was certainly a very worthwhile experience nevertheless. In any case, I appreciate the thought and regret that I didn't get to see more of the city in my time there.

Well glad to hear you made it out and back alright!  Did you at least bump into John Oliver?  He had some pretty good interviews while he was here.  I've been listening to The Bugle per your recommendation, great show!
Don't hate me, hate the money I see, clothes that I buy
Ice that I wear, clothes that I try....