Author Topic: REVIEWS: Sonic and the Secret Rings  (Read 32316 times)

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
RE:REVIEWS: Sonic and the Secret Rings
« Reply #50 on: March 06, 2007, 05:44:54 PM »

Originally posted by: Jonnyboy117
It's very telling that about half the people in this thread agree with the review, and the other half disagree.

Counting them, it's more like 75% (users, not posts) seem to disagree...

Haven't played the game, so I won't comment myself, but the users in this thread are clearly more in favor of the game.
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 06, 2007, 05:58:26 PM »

Originally posted by: Smash_Brother

Originally posted by: GoldenPhoenix
I think I should be made a staff member and give a second opinion!

No, they can't have a staff member give Elebits a 12 out of 10 without the site looking bad.

Though, I should point out that I gave Elebits a 7.5 in my review and Evan gave it a 6.

Now its YOUR turn to agree with him, I guess.

Actually don't tell anyone this but I would probably give Elebits an 8-8.5, and tend to exagerrate my exuberance for it
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 06, 2007, 05:59:40 PM »

Originally posted by: Arbok

Originally posted by: Jonnyboy117
It's very telling that about half the people in this thread agree with the review, and the other half disagree.

Counting them, it's more like 75% (users, not posts) seem to disagree...

Haven't played the game, so I won't comment myself, but the users in this thread are clearly more in favor of the game.

::Plays menacing music:: Clearly that indicates my 3rd party inflation theory.

Offline SixthAngel

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
RE: REVIEWS: Sonic and the Secret Rings
« Reply #53 on: March 07, 2007, 06:49:40 PM »
Its called a self fulfilling prophesy.  Everyone was asking if the game won't be bad, not if it will be good.  The thread in the main forums was "I hope secret of the rings doesn't suck."  Reviewers, especially Nintendo fans, will come in looking for faults whether they like it or not.

On another note it is nice to see a game where I actually die on a Nintendo console, your supposed to die in games sometimes.

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 07, 2007, 06:56:04 PM »
Okay, did you unlock the AX Cup and finish Story Mode on Very Hard in F-Zero GX? Or get through Metroid Prime / 2 without ever dying? If so, I salute you..

About the review, sadly I haven't trusted NWR reviews for a long time now. Especially with the Wii, I've found that I enjoyed a lot of the games reviewed quite badly here, and would rate them higher. Then there are the games which I find are quite overrated, so it's inconsistent, really. I'd go as far as to say that it's true that PGC has gone downhill, and the forums are the main attraction to me now. I rarely visit the main site.

I find that my views line up best with N-Sider's reviews.. too bad they don't do many. If I'm unsure about a game, I usually sort through a few reviews, then instead of concentrating on the reviewer's opinion, I look at their pros and cons. Then I decide if I'll be able to handle the negative aspects, or if I consider them "negative" at all.
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 07, 2007, 08:42:24 PM »
Okay, did you unlock the AX Cup and finish Story Mode on Very Hard in F-Zero GX? Or get through Metroid Prime / 2 without ever dying? If so, I salute you..

That's how many games over how many years?

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 07, 2007, 10:23:15 PM »

Originally posted by: SixthAngel
Its called a self fulfilling prophesy.  Everyone was asking if the game won't be bad, not if it will be good.  The thread in the main forums was "I hope secret of the rings doesn't suck."  Reviewers, especially Nintendo fans, will come in looking for faults whether they like it or not.

On another note it is nice to see a game where I actually die on a Nintendo console, your supposed to die in games sometimes.

I especially like games that you die because poor level designs and crappy controls that make it more difficult than it should. I'm beginning to wonder if some of the Sonic supporters who praise it for its so called "challenge" would be thrilled to death if a company (maybe even Nintendo) created a game where you have to battle hundreds enemies at once, with gimped controls, horrible framerate, 1 life (No continues), and obstacles scattered every couple of inches that can give you instant death. That would be hard wouldn't it? And I'm getting the impression if a game is "hard" regardless of WHY it is hard, is a great game. Who cares about game design, controls, innovation, presentation, it should be HARD above all else because that equals great.

Offline Svevan

• Not Afraid of Being Afraid
  • Score: -9
    • View Profile
    • Continuity
« Reply #57 on: March 07, 2007, 10:44:48 PM »

About the review, sadly I haven't trusted NWR reviews for a long time now.

Sorry to hear that Ice. Wish I could convince you otherwise, but your opinions don't seem to match up. I think time will vindicate us, but time could also indict us - we shall see.

Edit: Please know that I believe, as most of NWR does, in using the whole scale. In truth, a 5.0 isn't a negative review, just a middling one. I had a lot of bad things to say about the game, but the score reigns that in - some people may enjoy it, but I don't think anyone should lay out 50 clams for it.

This also applies to Elebits, which I gave a 6.0, which means it is in many ways a good game (with lots of flaws). I think it's funny that IGN has to defend their 6.9 (which is apparently really low for them) when Matt's opinion of the game is probably pretty close to mine. 6.9, though, is a really positive score. For reference, I would've given Double Dash a 7.0.
Evan T. Burchfield, aka Svevan
NWR Message Board Artist

My Blog

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 08, 2007, 12:54:58 AM »
I interpret scores as
0-6: Not worth buying except as a joke present (heh, I remember the look on the face of a friend when I handed him Britney's Dance Beat as a birthday present, of course I gave him a real present after he was over the shock).
7: Somewhat good, maybe worth it in the bargain bin but don't expect it to be fun all the time.
8: Good. Should be worth buying, at full price if it's a genre you're very interested in, in the bargain bin if it's not as interesting to you. The game will be mostly fun with only few unfun spots.
9: Great. Worth retail price. Fun throughout.
10: A lengthy way of saying 9.

Two digit ratings are rounded to the lower value (i.e. 8*% is read as 8)

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 08, 2007, 02:07:32 AM »

I especially like games that you die because poor level designs and crappy controls that make it more difficult than it should. I'm beginning to wonder if some of the Sonic supporters who praise it for its so called "challenge" would be thrilled to death if a company (maybe even Nintendo) created a game where you have to battle hundreds enemies at once, with gimped controls, horrible framerate, 1 life (No continues), and obstacles scattered every couple of inches that can give you instant death. That would be hard wouldn't it? And I'm getting the impression if a game is "hard" regardless of WHY it is hard, is a great game. Who cares about game design, controls, innovation, presentation, it should be HARD above all else because that equals great.

That sounds like NetHack.  A lot of people love it.  I've never tried it, though.

Offline Svevan

• Not Afraid of Being Afraid
  • Score: -9
    • View Profile
    • Continuity
« Reply #60 on: March 08, 2007, 05:43:14 AM »

Originally posted by: KDR_11k
I interpret scores as
0-6: Not worth buying except as a joke present (heh, I remember the look on the face of a friend when I handed him Britney's Dance Beat as a birthday present, of course I gave him a real present after he was over the shock).
7: Somewhat good, maybe worth it in the bargain bin but don't expect it to be fun all the time.
8: Good. Should be worth buying, at full price if it's a genre you're very interested in, in the bargain bin if it's not as interesting to you. The game will be mostly fun with only few unfun spots.
9: Great. Worth retail price. Fun throughout.
10: A lengthy way of saying 9.

Two digit ratings are rounded to the lower value (i.e. 8*% is read as 8)

Well KDR, that's not the way we score, as shown in our Reviews Policy section. If most people agree with you, it's no surprise that NWR is "not trustworthy" anymore because there's a disconnect between our scoring system and the public's perception. We're just tired of all games being rated somewhere between 4.5 (terrible) and 8.5 (pretty good). 4.5 should mean bad, but not terrible, and 8.5 should mean a lot more than "pretty good."

Evan T. Burchfield, aka Svevan
NWR Message Board Artist

My Blog

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 08, 2007, 06:10:25 AM »

Originally posted by: Svevan
If most people agree with you, it's no surprise that NWR is "not trustworthy" anymore because there's a disconnect between our scoring system and the public's perception.
So you feel it's okay to change the universally agreed upon convention?

Why don't you just change definitions to words while you're at it?  I've decided that the word dumb should mean "a person who is a fair and unbiased reviewer".  Svevan, you're dumb.

While I can see what you're trying to do, in all honesty NWR doesn't have enough swing to change the standard.  If you go and try to anyway it confuses consumers.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
« Reply #62 on: March 08, 2007, 06:27:56 AM »

Originally posted by: Svevan
We're just tired of all games being rated somewhere between 4.5 (terrible) and 8.5 (pretty good). 4.5 should mean bad, but not terrible, and 8.5 should mean a lot more than "pretty good."

The problem is that people are conditioned to assume 45/100 is failing, and 70/100 is fair.

Speaking about a incident from my site, as we have a similar stance that all number ranges should be filled, I was invited to attend the world premiere of Godzilla: Final Wars. Following the event, I published a review of the film with a 5/10 rating. Although disappointed, my stance was that it was a middle of the road feature that some would enjoy and some would not, a prediction which has played out in the years past. However, it became quite controversial as many assumed I was giving it a failing grade instead.

Our solution was to change the rating structure away from the 10 point scale, which, although limiting choices for numerical grading, did allow the more even distribution of movies to scores to be accepted.  
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 08, 2007, 07:00:59 AM »

Originally posted by: GoldenPhoenix I especially like games that you die because poor level designs and crappy controls that make it more difficult than it should.

I don't like those games, but I don't think SR was one of those games. If I died in the game, it was my FAULT: I didn't see where the spring was positioned or I jump cancelled and missed the platform.

Why? It's not because of POOR LEVEL DESIGN, it's because I f*cked up. And I know that because the NEXT time I go through, I jump cancel at the RIGHT time, hit the platform, jump again, air-dash, cancel, repeat.

It's a rhythm which I admit was hard to get down, but once you actually DO get it down pat, people watching you play it are impressed because it looks really complicated, and it is until you've mastered it.

I played through one of the levels the other day and I made it look GOOD: I flew through it, nailing jumps, jump cancels, homing attacks, etc. with perfect timing to maximize my speed through the level.

This illustrates two things for me:

1. The control may be difficult to grasp, but it's not beyond the mastery of a skilled player.

2. Levels are filled with obstacles and opportunities for Sonic to die intentionally, but the fact that he starts only a few feet back from where you die is evidence that Sega made it easy to try the same area again and again.

Did you know that the 360/PS3 Sonic has lives and, if you lose all of them, you start at the beginning of what might be a VERY long level? SR spared us from that hell, and given the circumstances, I don't think it's wrong to ask the player to master a particular stretch of level before being able to pass it.

I'd much rather have challenging sections which are difficult to master instead of one long "hold forward and watch the level go by" run through a level like the original SA games.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 08, 2007, 07:44:07 AM »
Svevan: First and foremost a rating to me is a judgement of value, i.e. how much it's worth paying. Bad but not terrible is no different from absolutely horrible for that purpose, neither is worth buying.

Perhaps if you don't want the implications numbers carry you could use a deviation from zero system where zero is the par and the higher something is above zero the better it is with anything below 0 being sub-par.

Offline Koekoenutt

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 08, 2007, 07:52:53 AM »
No one is asking for a "hold forward and watch the level go by", but I still stand by my statement that the controls could have been worked on way more, and didn't really have much thought put into them. Smash Brother, I want to know really though, have you ever died in the game becuase you slipped up the controls in anyway? Have you ever died becuase you were trying to go backwards and all sonic would do is something other than move backwards? Have you ever died because you did a complete stop and the controls made you fling left or right suddenly accidently? Have you ever died from the controls not picking up the forward flick and attacking the enemy on time, or having the controls accidently flick forward? Have you ever had to go back to a level you should have been able to pass, but held it off for another 10 levels for upgrades, when it's from the second or third world and your on one of the last. There is not ONE mission or level in the game that frustrated you to no end?

I don't mean to be a "Whiner", but you seem to totally ignore anything bad about the game at all. This isn't a 9-10 rating game, and you act like there isn't any downfall to the game at all. I mean, The controls were decent and in tacked enough for me to complete most of the game after beating it. They did their job as they were supposed to, and could have been way worse. I agree with this, but I also think the controls could have been way better. You're only arguement to this is you have to get used to it and later in the game it makes it easier, but even then.. it's still easy to accidently do something you don't want to with how the scheme is, and I think that is flawed. Also, Not EVERY level starts you only a few feet back at the beginning of the section. Only levels that are REALLY long, like the first mission of the worlds.. or missions that you need to and do the levels in sections. Granted this is most of the levels, but it's still a problem on some.

I call out on poor level design, because I think the levels could have flown together a lot more. I have said that some worlds are done with such greatness, and really shine through out the game. I expect to die, and I expect to have hard challenges to get passed.. but this game does have a lot of missions and a good amount of content to play through. I think a good example of a hard challenging design, was any Water Temple in a Zelda game. A lot of people had problems with it, and it was challenging. SOME missions that you had to beat in Sonic to progress through did not have this type of thought put into them. A good amount of content in Sonic could have been brought out better, and the game does have it's problems. To act like the game doesn't have any problems at all, besides the player playing it and their skills, is beyond me.    
My Game IGN Game Collection List

Nintendo Wii Code: 4255-0170-3378-8998

Tetris DS: 370317-922331
Mario Kart DS: 060219-722474
Clubhouse Games: 3479-8100

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 08, 2007, 07:53:13 AM »
I do have to say colleges don't help with this.

A: >90%
B: 80-89
C: 70-79
D: 60- 69
F: <60

or (If you went to grade school where I did)

A: >93%
B: 85-92
C: 78-84
D: 71-77
F: <71

Also for a job right out of college they are looking for a 3.0 or better.  So you must be "above average" to be considered.  Just how society seems to gear things.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 08, 2007, 08:39:05 AM »

Originally posted by: Koekoenutt Smash Brother, I want to know really though, have you ever died in the game becuase you slipped up the controls in anyway?

Define "slipped up". Like I said earlier, I've screwed up and died in the game plenty of times, but then I came through at a later time and smoked that part of the level. That says to me that it was not the level's fault but my own inexperience.

Have you ever died becuase you were trying to go backwards and all sonic would do is something other than move backwards?

I'm sure I have, but screw-ups in general happened less after I had ample time with the game to learn the controls. After I learned exactly what angle I had to hold the Wiimote at to make Sonic walk backwards, it didn't happen anymore.

Have you ever died because you did a complete stop and the controls made you fling left or right suddenly accidently?

Honestly, no. I hit the brake button or I jump and hold down the jump cancel and you immediately perform a dead stop. It took me a while to get used to using the brake button, but once I got used to it, it worked a lot better for me, especially holding brake, then holding jump and Sonic will immediately begin charging his jump where he's standing. THAT came in handy MANY times.

Have you ever died from the controls not picking up the forward flick and attacking the enemy on time, or having the controls accidently flick forward?

Not really. I've made Sonic perform the forward dash because I was too jumpy at some points, but again, that's my fault: if I just don't make any sudden forward movements, I don't have an issue with it.

Have you ever had to go back to a level you should have been able to pass, but held it off for another 10 levels for upgrades, when it's from the second or third world and your on one of the last. There is not ONE mission or level in the game that frustrated you to no end?

I did that with one of the "Head to Head" levels, but because I knew it would be easier when I had more speed upgrades. Those levels tend to become REAL easy once you have some decent speed.

Also, I should note that I NEVER shut off Sonic's speed at any point in the game, even levels that would have benefitted from it. These games are supposed to be about barreling full speed ahead and that's what I did when and where ever possible.

You could say that the controls could be a bit tighter, sure, but I scratch my head after reading about the problems people have had with it. I do think the controls for switching rails was a bit weird, but I recently got that down pat as well: there's an exact angle with the Wiimote you need to stop at in order to perfect leap from one rail to the other.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 08, 2007, 08:47:44 AM »
I really hate the logic that you can "learn" the controls, there are 2 different types "tough" controls. Challenging control schemes and broken control schemes, both of which you can adjust to with time, but the point is that a game that is focused more on break neck speed (which Sonic SR fails at in alot of its missions) should have tight controls, not ones you have learn goofy angles you need to hold controller in order to get it to do what you want. Sonic SR, like I've repeated over and over, is a great example of poor innovation, it tacks on tilt controls which is bad enough, but top it off by making them floaty and unnatural feeling which take forever to adjust, when it could have used the nunchuck and utilized the Wiimote in some unique way.

BTW not sure comparing the game to the PS3 and Xbox 360 verisons is fair (though I'm sure you could get "used" to the game and its controls), because that Sonic iteration is atrocius in not only controls but everything else, at least SR does some things competently.  

Offline SixthAngel

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 08, 2007, 09:17:53 AM »

I really hate the logic that you can "learn" the controls, there are 2 different types of controls. Challenging control schemes and broken control schemes, both of which you can adjust to with time, but the point is that a game that is focused more on break neck speed (which Sonic SR fails at in alot of its missions) should have tight controls, not ones you have learn goofy angles you need to hold controller in order to get it to do what you want. Sonic SR, like I've repeated over and over, is a great example of poor innovation, it tacks on tilt controls which is bad enough, but top it off by making them floaty and unnatural feeling which take forever to adjust, when it could have used the nunchuck and utilized the Wiimote in some unique way.

BTW not sure comparing the game to the PS3 and Xbox 360 verisons is fair (though I'm sure you could get "used" to the game and its controls), because that Sonic iteration is atrocius in not only controls but everything else, at least SR does some things competently.

Actually broken control schemes can't be adjusted to over time.  Broken means it doesn't work and adjustment won't help.  Smash has had no problem adjusting so the control scheme would be challenging.  What do you expect from an entirely new control scheme with entirely new inputs?  You haven't played twelve games that use the same controls yet so it will take a little time to get used to.

Offline Koekoenutt

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 08, 2007, 09:19:26 AM »
The thing is Smash Brothers, I have beaten the game and actually received a lot of silver medals by the time I traded in it last night. There were a few missions I didn't get to complete, and what not, but I finished most of the game after beating the story. I understand all these fundlementals of the game, the whole breaking and jumping and what not. I mean, the controls were in tacked enough to play it. I mean, really, don't get me wrong because in the long run, I did enjoy the game. I really hate how people call me whiney though, and then act like there isn't anything wrong with the game itself. Many of reviews and a lot of people have complained about the controls. I noted in the Wii Section's Sonic thread, that my one buddy who plays Xbox360 all the time hated the game. After he watched me play it and soar threw some levels and have the controls down pat, He started playing it a little more and liked it kind of. He still couldn't stand the controls though, and that's understandable since he didn't really have time to get the hang of things.

The sliding on rails was annoying and weird to get the hang of, but I found that to be less of a problem and annoyance than other things. The breaking wasn't the issue for me, it's when you start back up and sometimes I found it to quickly jolt to the left or right, even though sonic is moving slowly forward. It's not until after you let go of the brake, that I found it real easy to move to the left and right, and yet you move so slow forward. It seemed out of place and broken. I admit that it has helped me move around something when I stoppped right before it, but it's the same loose controls that made it able to accidently bump into something when it was completely needed.

I never turned off Sonic's speed abilities either. I always kept them as fast as I could. I would take off quick grinding sometimes or even quick air, and I never really found his speed to be an issue. His speed is totally controllable if you know how to slide and brake right. I liked to use the short jump to gain acceleration, but the short jumped to me seemed broken even. A lot of times you really need to slow yourself down, and slide to attack an enemy. Sure there are ways to get around it, and things you can do to adjust to it, but a lot of times the controls felt clunky and broken. Anyone can "learn" controls, no matter how horrible they are.

The game needs precision like no other game, and the controls do not fall into being precise. You can grow used to it, memorize the level and obsticales, go through a section knowing exactly what you need to do over and over just to get the hang of it.. but in my opinion, doesn't make the controls better afterwards. The controls are clunky, and just because you force yourself to get used to it, doesn't make it perfect. They seemed slapped on, just to use the WiiMote's technology over finding a good rythme and a comfortable level of controls. I think a good example is how people use the Gamecube controllers for VC titles. They suck for the most part and are always put together in a horrible way compared to the classic controller. You can get used to the buttons easily, but the button mapping could have been much better.

I think a big problem is jumping backwards too. I ended up having to run backwards instead of jumping back, which is an ability you gain as you level and should be utilized better in the game, and just so clunky feeling to do that move. Once you got Sonic to move backwards, it was fine.. but to get him to stop dead on and start it right away, was kind of tricky and could have been layed out way better.

When I mean slip up, It's easy to hit jump cancel and slide button when you meant to hit the brake button. It's easy to attack an enemy when you meant to slide forward while jumping, or vice versa. It's really easy to slip up on the rails and not do what you really want him to do, unless you want to take it real slow. When you're shooting for a gold or silver, it's way to easy to slip the controls and timing up, and it's even harder to recover. I'm not asking for it to be dumb-downed or anything like that, I mean.. When I play FPS on my computer, I play them on Hard right off the box, as with any game practically that gives you a difficulty setting. I like a challenge, but learning such loose and broken controls for such a precise, intense game.. that put things in the game just to piss you off to make it hard, instead of creatively making it a challenge.. I find to be a lot different.

If you want an example of it.. Think of how they just pop a few enemies in front of you or drop a pillar at the last second. You really think this was in the best interests? Don't you think a good level design could have made it where you could take a higher road, which is harder to get to and you need to do a few things first like jump off 3 well placed enemies, so you could easy fly passed that part and not deal with it. I think so, because some of the missions/worlds do that in Sonic, and it really works out well. Some worlds/missions are thought out brillantly, and then you run into those that just make things pop out so you die and have to memorize that part. It's not about reflexes, it's about dying at that part first so you know it's coming next time. So you can hold the jump and slide, and actually clear the part before it even shows up. I found way to many levels doing things like this, and wish they would have kept the level design consistant and not choppy. When I mean choppy, I mean not throwing in a level that took you 10 minutes to create just to make the game longer. Collect Zero Coins? Great, Lets take the level you played 2 rounds ago, make it exactly the samething, but lets just add a bunch of coins at the very end to make it different and a challenge. Things like that piss me off.  

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
« Reply #71 on: March 08, 2007, 09:25:05 AM »

...there are 2 different types of controls. Challenging control schemes and broken control schemes, both of which you can adjust to with time...

Under which of the two would the original Mario Bros. fall under?
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 08, 2007, 09:31:53 AM »

Originally posted by: Arbok

...there are 2 different types of controls. Challenging control schemes and broken control schemes, both of which you can adjust to with time...

Under which of the two would the original Mario Bros. fall under?

Personally I feel SMB would fall more in broken because of the terrible "slide", but at least the vast majority of the game was designed around it. Another game that comes to mind is the Tomb Raider series, the controls are terrible and quite broken since they are overly floaty, yet you still can master them if you play alot. More complex control schemes seem to be in some sports games (Tony Hawk maybe?) or even SSX Blur but I am just getting that from the reviews. Sonic and the SR does not match the floaty controls well, it is about speed and prescision, yet the controls don't seem to be designed around that.

Offline Koekoenutt

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 08, 2007, 09:33:25 AM »
I don't think using the original Mario Bros. controls really is to great of a debate, since they were very limited to what they could have used. Years later, developers have way more to work with and actually have to think more about controls than what a couple of buttons do and a d-pad.  

Edit: I take that back, but I do think that the depth of controls have given developers more freedom. Sometimes I think developers are just lazy and over look controls for the most part. They think about them, and then they don't put in second thoughts about it later. I think it was easier back in the day to work a game around the controls you made, but now it seems people just don't really care as much as they used to. There are those companies that do however.  

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 08, 2007, 09:35:28 AM »

Originally posted by: Koekoenutt
I don't think using the original Mario Bros. controls really is to great of a debate, since they were very limited to what they could have used. Years later, developers have way more to work with and actually have to think more about controls than what a couple of buttons do and a d-pad.

I just used it because he asked what I would consider it, personally I think many of the old SNES and NES games felt broken control wise in how "floaty" things were which did not mesh well with the platforming.