Author Topic: The NWR Mailbag Talkback Thread  (Read 51162 times)

Offline WindyMan

• It was the dog.
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • WindyMan's Roller Derby Notes
The NWR Mailbag Talkback Thread
« on: January 07, 2007, 04:56:22 PM »
This is the catch-all talkback thread for the weekly mailbag update.  If you have any comments, wish to add something to the mailbag responses, or want to point out a gross error by the mailbag poobah, please do so in this thread.

Please, do not ask mailbag questions in this thread.  Use the mailbag submission form for that.  
Steven "WindyMan" Rodriguez
Washed-up Former NWR Director

Respect the power of the wind.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
RE:The NWR Mailbag Talkback Thread
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2007, 05:38:38 PM »
There's a typo. You said Composite instead of Component.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2007, 06:18:36 AM »
What's wrong with the other mailbag talkback thread?  I answered your question in there from last time and no one even cared to read it.  
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Djunknown

• HEY! HEY! LISTEN!
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2007, 03:52:20 PM »

The cannon room save bug, for those not aware of it, occurs when you save your game of Twilight Princess at a certain point that won't let you progress on through the game when you reload it.

Can I get some specifics on that? I understand the need to avoid uber-spoilers, but I'm in interested/paranoid at what times these bugs happen. I just beat the Sky temple and beat the cave of ordeals. Am I safe?

So it goes without saying to make a copy of your save in case something happens right?
Ma ma sa, ma ma coo sa
Ma ma se, ma ma sa,
Ma ma coo sa

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
RE: The NWR Mailbag Talkback Thread
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2007, 02:01:56 AM »
Djunknown, you're past the cannon room bug.  It was in the room in which you found the cannon that eventually shot you to the Sky temple.  If you had saved in there, what's-his-name would have vanished, so you wouldn't have been able to ask him to leave the room so Midna could turn you into a wolf and teleport.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2007, 09:35:57 AM »
My question wasn't answered.

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2007, 09:50:09 AM »
Holy crap, I can't beleve they actually responded to my letter, now I love you guys all the more (despite all your whinning)
Wemen are like Artichokes, you have to work hard to get to there hearts.

http://duhduhduhduh.phantomhourglass.org/main.php?id=8534

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2007, 10:09:09 AM »
Quick note.  Windy says Wii Points are cheaper to buy directly with credit card because they don't charge sales tax.  That is not true of everywhere.  I get charged sales tax here in New York State.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline WindyMan

• It was the dog.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2007, 11:09:34 AM »
That's because New York sucks.  California is wonderful!

(It's probably because Nintendo has the store in NY, so they need to charge sales tax on account of them doing direct retail business in that state.)

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2007, 11:37:33 AM »
Who complained about the single player in MP2, I will crush them.

They will have had all of 2005, 2006, and soon 2007 to finish smash bros with online. Surely that's enough time?

You said Forever Blue "...was announced ... in the weeks before the GameCube launch" but I think you meant Wii launch.
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2007, 11:47:10 AM »

Originally posted by: MJRx9000
They will have had all of 2005, 2006, and soon 2007 to finish smash bros with online. Surely that's enough time?

The team was assembled to create Brawl in October of 2005... so they have had all of 2006, not two years now.
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2007, 11:56:38 AM »
Wait a minute, Forever Blue was announced before the Gamecube was released?!!! That is definite news to me seeing as I didn't hear about it at all until E3 of 06.  Or was that just another typo in the second to last email?

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2007, 12:11:53 PM »
Forever Blue = Too Human Under the Sea
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2007, 12:57:39 PM »

Originally posted by: Professional 666
Forever Blue = Too Human Under the Sea

????? clerify that could ya?

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2007, 12:59:45 PM »
Never Happening.
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline Djunknown

• HEY! HEY! LISTEN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2007, 01:42:51 PM »
Good to see more of the forumers  getting their letters published. Great questions!

If MP3 comes out during the first half of the year with online play, then we can breathe a small sigh of relief. MP3 is a heavy hitter no doubt, which should prompt the 3rd parties to take notice. But alas, we still don't know...

I've had problems finding Wii points (Or anything Wii-related for that matter.) too. Who knew this would be a hot item? In stroke of luck though, I stopped by Meijer's (Large catch-all chain like Target or Wal-mart) and found one lone card. I snatched it without delay, but still makes me wonder if the either the demand is too high or supply is way to low...
Ma ma sa, ma ma coo sa
Ma ma se, ma ma sa,
Ma ma coo sa

« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2007, 02:30:33 PM »
MP# shouldn'n at least come out within a month of Halo 3, I don't want Halo's popularity to overshine MP like it did when #2 came out.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2007, 02:59:48 PM »
To the guy asking about the XCM universal cables - XCM usually makes some great quality stuff, so if you want that cable, buy it. I don't have one, I actually have a Pelican System Selector Pro component switcher that I bought 2 years ago ($100), so I can't guarantee it'll be satisfactory, but it should get the job done, and it will be out of sight. That other Pelican switch is pretty ugly. If you find the one that I have, it's basically "standard" DVD player size and has 9 inputs in it, including 4 optical audio jacks. You can also swap out the buttons to match your systems (although since I bought mine 2 years ago, there's no XBox 360, Wii, or PS3 buttons).
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline WindyMan

• It was the dog.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2007, 03:43:58 PM »

Originally posted by: MJRx9000
You said Forever Blue "...was announced ... in the weeks before the GameCube launch" but I think you meant Wii launch.

Oops, thanks for pointing that out.  Fixed now.

I've been having GameCube on my mind for the past few weeks.  You'll see why next week.

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2007, 05:54:01 PM »
Is that a hint?
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2007, 05:59:47 PM »
Never mind, I found my answer in a Gamespot interview.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2007, 07:30:01 PM »
I know, that sucks balls that they want to charge me sales tax even in the Shop Channel. What's worse is that don't seem to accept debit cards since I get an error everytime I try to use my Visa debit card (it says it's unable to verify the card).  
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

• Voice of Reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2007, 02:51:59 AM »

Originally posted by: WindyMan
The only way Nintendo can satisfy everyone looking forward to Brawl is to release it before March 2008 and have online four-player battles.

With all items and all stages available.  I know some people turn them off.  They can keep doing so, but I for one won't be satisfied unless the online game is indistinguishable from the offline game.  Yes, it is a tall order.

(It's probably because Nintendo has the store in NY, so they need to charge sales tax on account of them doing direct retail business in that state.)

I have to pay sales tax here in Texas, too.  You technically owe sales tax (or use tax) to your state regardless (unless your state has no such tax), but I think Nintendo has to collect it if they report to the state's tax authority at all, which they do if they have any operations there.  I don't know what they've got in Texas.  They probably have servers in the Dallas-Ft. Worth Metroplex.  They may also have regional sales and support offices.  Texas is a good location for such things.  California is, too, of course, but the home office probably takes care of the whole west coast.

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2007, 03:19:57 AM »
Retro in Austin.  It isn't a retail outlet, but maybe it doesn't matter.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------

• Voice of Reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2007, 04:57:33 AM »
Ah, yes.  How silly of me to have forgotten.  Maybe if they could put out a game more than once every other year, I'd remember they existed more easily.

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2007, 05:44:36 AM »
I pay sales tax in Illinois for my online Wii Points purchases.  It sucks.  
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2007, 05:59:18 AM »
Man, I have no idea what is in Illinois.
---------------------

Offline Blue Plant

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
    • My site.
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2007, 06:03:00 AM »
Bought 1,000 points via the Shop Channel last night for 10.00 flat here in Florida.

• Voice of Reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2007, 06:56:05 AM »
Well, Chicago is in Illinois, and it's a major Internet backbone hub, so if my WiiConnect24 server theory is accurate, that could be the reason.  I'd wager that Nintendo has servers in at least four major Internet hubs across the U.S. to minimize the number of hops from any given Wii to a WC24 server.  The data on the servers (VC downloads, software updates, weather and news data) can be propagated from the main servers at intervals, and then when all the Wii owners go to download Zelda, the load is distributed across the country.  Seattle is close to NOA and a good hub for the West Coast, Chicago is ideal for serving the Midwest, DFW is good for the West and part of the South, and there could be one or two to cover the rest of the country (probably Atlanta and DC).

Of course, I don't know for a fact that Nintendo has servers spread across the country (although I think it's likely), nor do I know whether maintaining servers there is enough to require them to collect sales tax.  It would make sense to me, because the transaction could be argued to take place entirely within the state's borders.  

Offline Smoke39

• Smoking is only bad for you if you're not made of smoke already
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2007, 07:27:29 PM »
How come so many letters sent to the bag have questions punctuated with periods instead of question marks?
GOREGASM!

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2007, 10:56:49 PM »
I tried out Wii Media Center X the other day, and it sucks.  Well, it's not that it sucks, it's just early on in development and can't really play anything. And they never really tell you that until you've tried it.

Right now there is no music playback at all, and you can only play flash (flv) movies.  So, uhh, have fun with that.
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2007, 07:33:11 PM »
HAHA!  From the looks of the new mailbag it would seem that TYP has a fan.
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline TheYoungerPlumber

• Thy Rod and Staff
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2007, 07:49:36 PM »
I suspect he submitted his entry without providing a name.  Of course, the form yelled at him for not providing a nickname so he cursed me.
::Michael "TYP" Cole
::Associate Editor
Nintendo World Report

"Only CHEATERS mess up!" -Waluigi

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2007, 06:39:11 AM »
To the e-mailer complaining about the AIAS, I don't like them either but this guy doesn't know what he is talking about. The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences (and the ones for TV and radio) also require companies to pay to be members (and receive services). It's to help pay for services since the AIAS is a non-profit organization. Other similar organizations like the Screen Actors Guild/Writers Guild/Directors Guild/etc. also require membership dues. I think the AIAS only requires a $1,000 fee as well.

Besides, I care more about the awards given by the people at the Game Developers Conference.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Chode2234

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2007, 10:56:09 AM »
I think Zelda TP did define the gamecube.  It was a direct response to the criticism of wind waker and the Gamecube philosophy (n64 carry over on some accounts).  It was Nintendo saying "please come back" and it was an important moment in the history of the gamecube.  The very fact that it was ported over to the Wii solidifies the image of the gamecube that I have:  A great system that never could get out from under its own weight.  A capable and almost perfect system that never lived up to its potential.  

I loved my gamecube (till I sold it to pay for my wii), but the fact that Zelda was released a year later and on the Wii is very significant in understanding the Gamecube.
Wii:  0279 2707 3253 3306

Offline Smoke39

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 06, 2007, 12:12:19 PM »
Not to mention the 'Cube version is superior. ;b
GOREGASM!

Offline Alfonse

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 07, 2007, 02:08:58 PM »
I consider snubbing Twilight Princess just because it happened to be a Wii launch game too to be equally arbitrary.

It is well known that the Wii version is significantly different from the GC one. Besides the control scheme (which tends to favor ranged weapons over melee combat), the world itself is actually reversed. So that world that is supposed to harken back to OoT in its geography doesn't (though when flipped, it does resemble LttP).

Furthermore, Twilight Princess belongs to the GameCube as much if not more than Wii because Wii is a GameCube. It may be a "pimped" GC, but the beating heart of it is still a GC. It was born a GC game, forged in the earliest tech demos for GC. It was the Zelda game Nintendo promised us over 5 years ago, and they promised it to us on GC. It didn't take much advantage of the "pimped" nature of the hardware, as texture diversity and quality were not improved.

Lastly, there's this fact. When it's all said and done about Wii, Twilight Princess won't deserve a mention there either. Because there's going to be another Zelda game, built for Wii from the ground up around that controller. And it's going to make TP-Wii look like a relic controller-wise. It will define Wii, as much as MP3 or Mario Galaxy. So too much of a Wii game to be a GC definitive, too much of a GC game to be a Wii definitive. So what, it gets lost between the cracks just because it happened to release at the wrong time?

The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences (and the ones for TV and radio) also require companies to pay to be members (and receive services).

First, the Academy doesn't require that a movie's production company be a member in order to win an Academy award. That was the point I was making; that to even be considered for an award, you have to pay money.

Consider that if Tetris had been developed as an indie game and created a revolution akin to when it was released. AIAS wouldn't be able to give it an award because the developer isn't a member. Whereas the motion picture Academy can give awards to those who aren't members.

Second, the Academy actually does something besides host awards. Outside of the DICE Summit (which is not much), the AIAS does precious little besides give out awards to members.

Other similar organizations like the Screen Actors Guild/Writers Guild/Directors Guild/etc. also require membership dues.

Those are more like unions than the AIAS. Your membership dues actually go to fund something.

Offline Shecky

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2007, 03:45:41 PM »
I finally downloaded LoZ:LttP and have no issue with control on the GCN controller so far.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #38 on: February 11, 2007, 05:19:10 PM »
Why do some people continue thinking that Rare/Microsoft have ANY say in GoldenEye 007? The only people who have any say are:

MGM (owners of the Bond franchise)
Activision (current holders of the license)
Nintendo (holders of the license when they published GE, Rare had no more control than Spike does in Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 2 or Bizarre Creations do with the Project Gotham Racing games)

Nintendo would just have to work out a deal with MGM, and maybe Activision.

Offline Djunknown

• HEY! HEY! LISTEN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 12, 2007, 01:20:10 PM »
Concerning Mario Kart 64, the only real complaint I have is that I can't switch from Speedometer to the Map on the fly.You can always switch perspective from the start position.

But it does raise a point about other N64 games. Zelda Oot and MM work without problems (Mario 64 as well), but can anyone think of a N64 title where the 'Cube/Classic Controller won't cut it?

Ma ma sa, ma ma coo sa
Ma ma se, ma ma sa,
Ma ma coo sa

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 18, 2007, 08:38:53 PM »
Isn't it rating inflation to have a whole range (0-5) of ratings that all mean "this sucks, don't bother"? I could understand two ratings, bad and atrocious but more differentiation than that isn't necessary.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 18, 2007, 08:54:15 PM »
Wait a second, why can't a patch be released for a Wii game? Patches don't have to be behemoths so they should save on the flash memory without much trouble (Or if worse comes to worse use the freaken SD CARD)
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Podings

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 18, 2007, 09:35:37 PM »
What, no-body's told Wolfen 359 yet, that the shield on the Z-button in Smash Bros. Melee is not the same shield as the one on L and R? It wasn't in the reply, so I assumed it'd be first I'd find in the talkback.

Anyway, goes like this: The shield on the Z-button is more reminiscent of the shield from the original Smash Bros.; it comes up after a grab-attempt, and decreases in size particularly slower than the L and R shield. It is, however, also less durable., suggesting that it is meant primarily for protection after a fumbled grab-attempt, of which there are quite many, compared to the first game, where grabs and throws played a much bigger role.
I'm the love child of an NES and a C64.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 19, 2007, 01:53:57 AM »

Originally posted by: LassePalle
A score of 4.5 means that the game is slightly below average.

Originally posted by: MailBag
It just so happens that when taking the average score of games from the major gaming magazines and websites, the figure comes out to be somewhere in the low 7.0 range.

If 7.0 is average, IMHO, 4.5 isn't anywhere near slightly below average... ?
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline WindyMan

• It was the dog.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 19, 2007, 05:34:35 AM »

Originally posted by: UncleBob

Originally posted by: LassePalle
A score of 4.5 means that the game is slightly below average.

Originally posted by: MailBag
It just so happens that when taking the average score of games from the major gaming magazines and websites, the figure comes out to be somewhere in the low 7.0 range.

If 7.0 is average, IMHO, 4.5 isn't anywhere near slightly below average... ?

There are some inconsistencies in lingo that the staff uses, which will be addressed in the future.  Sorry for the confusion there.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 19, 2007, 05:53:10 AM »
Why say 5 is the average game when by any means it's not the average? How do you define an average game if not by averaging all games? Some kind of quality that you feel is half way between Charlie's Angels and Metroid Prime? If all (relevant) games rate higher than 5.0, shouldn't the average rating be there so you have the most room to rate the games people care about? If you don't want that many numbers because you think there's no way to tell whether something is a 93% or 94% game, why not simply cut the numbers? Give some rating system where zero is 7.0, better games get positive numbers and worse ones negative numbers?

Offline WindyMan

• It was the dog.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 19, 2007, 06:50:13 AM »

Originally posted by: KDR_11k
Why say 5 is the average game when by any means it's not the average? How do you define an average game if not by averaging all games? Some kind of quality that you feel is half way between Charlie's Angels and Metroid Prime? If all (relevant) games rate higher than 5.0, shouldn't the average rating be there so you have the most room to rate the games people care about? If you don't want that many numbers because you think there's no way to tell whether something is a 93% or 94% game, why not simply cut the numbers? Give some rating system where zero is 7.0, better games get positive numbers and worse ones negative numbers?

The 1-10 score scale is fixed.  1 is the low end of the bad side of the scale.  5 is the midpoint, where the good and bad sides of the scale meet.  10 is the high end of the good side of the scale.  Just because most games score in the higher side of the scale doesn't mean the scale should be readjusted.  It means that developers are making decent games most of the time.  Wouldn't you agree with that?

A game should not be looked down upon because its review score happens to fall below the average.  Calling a game "below average" is a misnomer*.  What if the average score for a genre is in the high 8.0 range?  7.5 would be a score less than the average score in that category, and although that's a good score, it's looked upon unfavorably due to its being "below average."  That's not kosher.

It's funny how people complain that review scores are too high.  (KDR, this isn't directed toward you specifically.)  Go to any site with reader reviews, like IGN or GameSpot.  Compare the average reader review score with the score given by the site.  Guess what?  100% of the time, the reader score is higher than the site score.  If most people think the review score scale is set too high, why don't the people who review games with their own scale generally agree?  It's because they want to make the scale fit with their own personal view of whether or not a game is worth buying.

The problem is, they've already bought the game.  Therefore, the tendency is to rate it a higher score than what it really deserves.  Here's a good example.  GameSpot gave Avatar Wii a 5.6.  Their readers gave it a 7.4.  (We gave it a 6.0.)  Do people want to admit they bought a 5.6~6.0 game for $50?  Nope.  They bump up their score a point or two to justify the purchase to themselves.  What other reason would reader review scores be higher, without fail?

This is why basing review scores off of the average is incorrect.  Because the average of all review scores is always in flux, and the perceived value of average by people who read reviews is inconsistent, using it as a baseline for all other review scores doesn't make a lick of sense.  You can't base a review score off of a moving middle point.  Just like you can't pitch a tent in quicksand.

*(If this sounds hypocritical, understand that we are addressing this point internally.)

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 19, 2007, 07:52:18 AM »

Go to any site with reader reviews, like IGN or GameSpot.  Compare the average reader review score with the score given by the site.  Guess what?  100% of the time, the reader score is higher than the site score.
O RLY?

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 19, 2007, 08:09:53 AM »
Reader scores are usually because of votes, I don't trust those because most people will just vote 0-1 or 10 even if they haven't played the game just because of the way they're currently hyped. Reader scores rarely go to 9.0 or higher for that same reason, someone will always vote 0 and if it's just fanboys of another system.  

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 19, 2007, 08:32:12 AM »

Reader scores rarely go to 9.0 or higher for that same reason, someone will always vote 0 and if it's just fanboys of another system.
By jove!  He's right!

Twilight Princess Wii
Twilight Princess GCN

Offline retledge

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 19, 2007, 08:39:08 AM »
Regarding the comment that Nintendo hasn't released a headset for the DS, that's probably true for us outside of Japan. (Nintendo of Japan released one on September 14th?) At this time, the usage for a headset is minimal - no games really use it. Once those games come out - there will probably be headsets for the rest of us, neh?

Offline WindyMan

• It was the dog.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 19, 2007, 08:42:38 AM »

Reader scores are usually because of votes, I don't trust those because most people will just vote 0-1 or 10 even if they haven't played the game just because of the way they're currently hyped. Reader scores rarely go to 9.0 or higher for that same reason, someone will always vote 0 and if it's just fanboys of another system.

True, but many times the lows will cancel the highs.  Statistically, my argument is still valid.  If so many people will vote a game down, why are the reader reviews still so much higher than the site reviews?  And it's not just for one game on a single platform, either.  It's for every single game on every single platform.  That's hard to argue against.

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 19, 2007, 09:21:10 AM »

True, but many times the lows will cancel the highs.  Statistically, my argument is still valid.  If so many people will vote a game down, why are the reader reviews still so much higher than the site reviews?  And it's not just for one game on a single platform, either.  It's for every single game on every single platform.  That's hard to argue against.
I swear, I just picked ten games off the top of my head and punched them into IGN's search.

Metroid Prime Hunters  IGN Review:  9.0; User Review:  8.8
Resistance:  Fall of Man  IGN Review:  9.1; User Review:  7.9
Final Fantasy VII  IGN Review:  9.5; User Review:  9.4
Super Mario Sunshine  IGN Review:  9.4; User Review:  8.9
Seaman  IGN Review:  8.3; User Review:  7.9
Family Guy  IGN Review:  4.1; User Review:  6.8
Gran Turismo 4  IGN Review:  9.5; User Review:  9.2
Panzer Dragoon Orta  IGN Review:  9.2; User Review:  8.9
Battalion Wars  IGN Review:  8.8; User Review:  8.5
Castlevania:  Circle of the Moon  IGN Review:  9.0; User Review:  8.8

In every case but one (Family Guy) the IGN Review is higher than the average User Review.  It's probably skewed a bit because the games I tended to think of were for the most part great games (I saw a Family Guy banner ad, which is why I thought of it) but it still shows that there are many instances where "professional" ratings are inflated.

Offline WindyMan

• It was the dog.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 19, 2007, 09:35:33 AM »

Originally posted by: vudu

In every case but one (Family Guy) the IGN Review is higher than the average User Review.  It's probably skewed a bit because the games I tended to think of were for the most part great games (I saw a Family Guy banner ad, which is why I thought of it) but it still shows that there are many instances where "professional" ratings are inflated.

Or at least, IGN's.  But that's a different topic.

As long as you guys don't think our review scores are inflated, we're cool.  We're pretty low on the Game Rankings table of average review scores, though, so at least we're consistent about things.  

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 19, 2007, 03:42:59 PM »
I wonder if, on every review page, like, in it's own column, there should be a small bit about the reviewer, like, some of their previous reviews/scores, their likes/dislikes and, perhaps when possible, quick links to other reviews on the same game done by other members of the staff.  This would give the reader a little more insight - for example, if they're reading Stan's review of a new Mario Tennis for the Wii and they see he gave it a 10, but they also see that he gave the GCN version a 10, and if they've played the GCN version, perhaps that'll help them judge where Stan is coming from with his review score.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

• Voice of Reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 20, 2007, 02:17:27 AM »
They've got some of that if you click on the reviewer's name.  There's enough on the staff pages to figure out whose tastes line up with yours, although they lack dislikes.  If there's more than one review of the same game, in the row of links about the game, there will be a number after the reviews link.  It could all be more obvious, and I haven't found a way to look for other reviews by the same person.  I'd like to see that in the future.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 20, 2007, 03:47:35 AM »
True, but many times the lows will cancel the highs.

A 1.0 and a 10.0 cancel each other out to 5.5, that'd still drag a rating of 8.0-9.0 down. It's very difficult to recover from a low vote once you're at the upper end of the scale, look at TP at Gamerankings, it was the #2 game of all time before three ~80% reviews got added and now it's not even in the top ten anymore.

Also careful, many people vote before a game is out purely on how hyped they are, if you read a review when it's first posted the user score may be higher than it will end up a year later after the people who vote on the actual quality have played enough of the game to judge it.

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 26, 2007, 06:13:16 AM »

The March 5 date comes from Nintendo's Wii site, although Nintendo's press materials still list the game as a Q2 2007 release, I doubt they'd keep an incorrect date in public view for very long.

Actually, March 5th is the older date and it was more recently changed to the more vague Q2.  
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline tonythekitty

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 26, 2007, 02:54:34 PM »
Now am I correct in understanding that the only thing that prevents us from downloading other regions Virtual console games is the region of the unit itself? Does this mean that if I buy a second Wii from japan then I can download Neo Geo games? Or would I not be able to use my credit card to buy points off of it?
To err is human but to really F@*K things up takes Sony.

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 26, 2007, 03:26:47 PM »
Yes, you can do just that.  As long as you can navigate the menus, you're golden.
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: April 08, 2007, 04:37:38 PM »
About outputting the Internet Channel in 720p - I'm sure it's actually possible to do. Even the PS2 can output at 720p and 1080i (HDTV Player, and GTA4), the Wii's GPU is much more powerful than the PS2's.

Offline WindyMan

• It was the dog.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 08, 2007, 05:13:38 PM »
Yes, but the video chip still needs to support the video mode.  Computers can't output high resolutions unless the video hardware supports it, even if it had enough power to do so.

Offline Smoke39

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 08, 2007, 06:22:25 PM »

Moving the camera to the over-the-shoulder perspective is what really made everything come together. Such a good idea, it was, that many shooters since then have adopted it as the standard camera angle.

You say that as if RE4 invented the idea of an over-the-shoulder shooter.  Max Payne did that (and did it well) years ago.  
GOREGASM!

Offline WindyMan

• It was the dog.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 09, 2007, 06:51:42 AM »

Originally posted by: Smoke39

Moving the camera to the over-the-shoulder perspective is what really made everything come together. Such a good idea, it was, that many shooters since then have adopted it as the standard camera angle.

You say that as if RE4 invented the idea of an over-the-shoulder shooter.  Max Payne did that (and did it well) years ago.

Music games have been around forever, but it wasn't until Guitar Hero that everyone started to take them seriously.  The over-the-shoulder camera had been around before Resident Evil 4, but now it's standard in games like Gears of War, GRAW, Rainbow 6 and a lot of other shooters.  RE4 perfected the camera angle, which is why many games after it now use it.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 09, 2007, 10:53:24 AM »

Originally posted by: Smoke39

Music games have been around forever, but it wasn't until Guitar Hero that everyone started to take them seriously.  The over-the-shoulder camera had been around before Resident Evil 4, but now it's standard in games like Gears of War, GRAW, Rainbow 6 and a lot of other shooters.  RE4 perfected the camera angle, which is why many games after it now use it.

If I recall correctly, Max Payne had an almost flawless camera angle with the over the shoulder view. Personally I think the main reason why RE4 was copied wasn't because of the "Perfect" camera angle, but that it was vastly more popular than Max Payne ever was, so it gets all the credit.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 09, 2007, 01:13:49 PM »

Music games have been around forever, but it wasn't until Guitar Hero that everyone started to take them seriously.

Really?  I guess those millions of different versions of DDR for every system under the sun - not to mention all the DDR rip-offs and DDR-esque TV apparances (King of the Hill, South Park, etc...) were just fancruft?

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 09, 2007, 05:57:11 PM »
Max Payne didn't quite nail it. The aim point doesn't take into account of where the player charater is, especially with duals. You can aim right at some ones head and shoot bullets around it. RE4 by removing duals and using the laser, eliminated the difference between the camera and the player charater.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline Smoke39

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 09, 2007, 07:17:30 PM »
Lots of first person shooters have a slight disconnect between the crosshair and where the weapon is aiming, since the barrel isn't held right in the center of the screen.  Are you saying the first FPS to have a weapon with a laser sight should be credited as being the first game to get the first person perspective right?  What about Winback?  It controlled almost exactly like RE4 all the way back in the N64 days, right down to the aiming button and laser sight.

All I'm saying is that while it was absolutely an excellent decision for the Resident Evil series, RE4's camera wasn't anything particularly new.  As for GoW and others, I'd say their choice of camera angle had more to do with the fact that those games are so cover-based, with the whole sticking to walls novelty.  Implementing the same mechanic in the first person would give you a face full of wall a lot of times.
GOREGASM!

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 10, 2007, 03:10:16 AM »
I think RE4 is one of those games that isn't particularly innovative, but is so well polished, and put together (not to mention popular) that it became the standard for future games. I'd say the same about Guitar Hero as well, though not nearly to the extent of RE4 since the DDR games have always had a big following.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 10, 2007, 06:07:12 AM »
I would argue that is was more innovative than that you give RE4 credit for Golden Phoenix. The game was has a number of gutsy gameplay mechanics that bucked the norm to what was expected out of a 3rd person shooter.

The greatest of them was that fact you couldn't move and shoot at the same time. It could be said that they simply carried that from the previous games, but they could have chossen to follow everybody else and allow shooting on the move. By not allowing movement while shooting, it forces the player to constantly answer the question of fight or flee. Other games made after this like GRAW has a similar mind set, but is extreamly restrictive as you can only fight or flee from cover. Any other option is attemped suicide.

Another thing they brought into the game was hit locations that meant something outside of damage calulations. Other games before it simulate damage on individual parts, eg Goldeneye. But RE4 made wounding a valid tactical option as it allowed you to save ammo and use an area attack.

The laser corrects the error between the camera, gun and aim point without resorting to multiple cursors or a jumpy self rangeing cursor.

Integrated Knife.

Max Payne, remembering back then was popular as hell. If it didn't do anything else, it brought bullet time to the masses. But it didn't bring just that. It allowed games to have a heavily stylised story and heavy action all in one neat package. No longer were shooters confined to things like the gates of hell or nazis. It effectively begain the physics race that still rages today.

But I cannot credit it for the camera system. It was too far from perfect or even flawless. When doing a Hollywood dive alot of the time, you can't see past Max's backside. As discussed already, the disconnect betwwen the PC and camera.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 10, 2007, 06:16:24 AM »

Originally posted by: oohhboy
I would argue that is was more innovative than that you give RE4 credit for Golden Phoenix. The game was has a number of gutsy gameplay mechanics that bucked the norm to what was expected out of a 3rd person shooter.

The greatest of them was that fact you couldn't move and shoot at the same time. It could be said that they simply carried that from the previous games, but they could have chossen to follow everybody else and allow shooting on the move. By not allowing movement while shooting, it forces the player to constantly answer the question of fight or flee. Other games made after this like GRAW has a similar mind set, but is extreamly restrictive as you can only fight or flee from cover. Any other option is attemped suicide.

Another thing they brought into the game was hit locations that meant something outside of damage calulations. Other games before it simulate damage on individual parts, eg Goldeneye. But RE4 made wounding a valid tactical option as it allowed you to save ammo and use an area attack.

The laser corrects the error between the camera, gun and aim point without resorting to multiple cursors or a jumpy self rangeing cursor.

Integrated Knife.

Max Payne, remembering back then was popular as hell. If it didn't do anything else, it brought bullet time to the masses. But it didn't bring just that. It allowed games to have a heavily stylised story and heavy action all in one neat package. No longer were shooters confined to things like the gates of hell or nazis. It effectively begain the physics race that still rages today.

But I cannot credit it for the camera system. It was too far from perfect or even flawless. When doing a Hollywood dive alot of the time, you can't see past Max's backside. As discussed already, the disconnect betwwen the PC and camera.

Sounds like alot of what you give RE4 credit for was done by PC shooters and action game. So no, I don't consider it innovative. Gutsy for a console game, MAYBE, but innovative, not really. I seen battle damage, so to speak, in various games before RE where shooting various parts of the body impact their movement in some way (heck I believe the first Resident Evil had something like that). Not sure I would give much innovation credit to the stopping and shooting, because they probably implemented that to make it more user friendly when you were aiming at your enemy's body parts (perhaps even to emphasize that fact).

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 30, 2007, 08:07:54 AM »
About the question regarding a PC monitor - (almost?) every PC monitor will let you display a 16:9 signal correctly even though it's on a 16:10 display. You can manually adjust how the image is stretched, or choose for it to not be stretched. You'll just have (very small) black bars at the top and/or bottom of the screen. XCM also just released a USB box that lets you play your Wii on a PC screen (via USB), and you can use it to record as well. $59 on divineo.com if anyone's interested.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 30, 2007, 10:31:32 AM »
Max Payne's camera system was different than RE4's.  

Offline Jome20

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 30, 2007, 07:35:46 PM »
I was very interested by the last letter in this edition of the Mailbag.  I can actually relate to what this person was saying.  Especially regarding the excitment of the titles that were out around the launch times.

I have noticed that there have been several people I know that say they NEVER really play their Wii since Zelda: TP.

I myself have at times, stopped playing my Wii for several weeks at a time.

I have also noticed that the Wii's initial launch window games seem to be shallow or lack depth.  Some may even see them as Tech Demoes.  Although that's certainly not a good thing, I relate this to the DS launch.  That had several games that seemed to be rather short, many that seemed gimmicky, and plenty that didn't really know how to utilize the DS to its fullest.  I believe the same will be the case for the Wii eventually and that we haven't even scratched the surface of what the system and controller setup is capable of.

I am amazed that the Wii is selling out like crazy.  Because for the past decade that hasn't been the case for Nintendo systems.  But I'm not completely shocked, considering they've had a smart game plan and their competition hasn't been very impressive (although the 360 is doing a decent job).  
I'm a student at DigiPen Institute of Technology, where I work on designing games and hope to do that for a living.  

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 30, 2007, 09:13:05 PM »
The Wii has a very solid lineup, and we forget that the N64 lineup variety pretty much sucked for months. Really the only games worth playing were SM64, Pilotwings and maybe Shadows of the Empire (but that game was a love or hate it) until MK64 came out.

Wii so far has:

Zelda:TP
Wii Sports
Excite Truck
Paper Mario
WarioWare
Sonic (another love/hate game)
Godfather
SSX Blur
Madden 2007

All of these games have received good to great reviews, and are liked (even loved) by a great many people. That to me is a solid lineup, even if you take out the "ports".

Offline UniversalJuan

• View Profile
« Reply #75 on: May 01, 2007, 04:02:47 AM »

Originally posted by: GoldenPhoenix
The Wii has a very solid lineup, and we forget that the N64 lineup variety pretty much sucked for months. Really the only games worth playing were SM64, Pilotwings and maybe Shadows of the Empire (but that game was a love or hate it) until MK64 came out.

Wii so far has:

Zelda:TP
Wii Sports
Excite Truck
Paper Mario
WarioWare
Sonic (another love/hate game)
Godfather
SSX Blur
Madden 2007

All of these games have received good to great reviews, and are liked (even loved) by a great many people. That to me is a solid lineup, even if you take out the "ports".

Where the hell is Loli Golf on this list?  And like hell Wii Sports gets to be on there without Wii Play. And Dragon Ball more than earns its place up there. Also, where the HELL is Trauma Center?! For some reason I get the weird feeling I'm forgetting 1 or 2 titles.

Oh, special Kairon addon, FarCry Vengence ;x
They gave a war, nobody came, imagine all the fuss. They'd have to send themselves instead of...sending us. Yeah (People of the Generation - by Scatman John)

Originally posted by: Luigi Dude
The greatest game of all time is Super Smash Bros Brawl.  It

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 01, 2007, 09:39:39 AM »
Hey, if you're a Nintendo fan, do yourself a favor and don't buy the Wii. Seriously. At least not just yet. I'll tell you why.

The system is still selling well and is hard to find. This is because not just Nintendo fans are buying it but a whole slew of new customers are purchasing it. From people who haven't bought a Nintendo system in years to people playing video games for the first time. If you are a Nintendo fan, you are most likely going to buy this system just because it was made by Nintendo and will have Nintendo games. In a way, it's like your sale is a given. But what is not a given is just how many other people and non-gamers will purchase the system. It's also hard to say how long they will keep hunting for a system if they can't find one. Will they loose their interest before they find one? Therefore, it's better to let those who may want to purchase the system on an impulse or sudden strong interest do so before a Nintendo fan. Every system sold helps Nintendo become the market leader. So, why take a system you're sure to buy whenever you can from someone who may not be so interested in it after awhile?

So, if you're a Nintendo fan, don't buy a system right now. If you need to play Zelda, it was released on the Cube. Frankly, the only game that makes me want to buy the system right now is Super Paper Mario. But I'm sure copies of the game will be available when I do purchase a system in the future along with a lot of other great titles like Brawl and Galaxy. Plus, I may even get a black system. In the meantime, buy some Cube games you never got around to or were interested in playing. Stores seem to be trying to clear them out now and are slashing prices all the time. You can help Nintendo out by buying these cube games that aren't selling. By the time you have exhausted your options for Cube games, you'll be ready to move on to the Wii and what should be a rich catalogue of games.

The end.

By the way, what was with the letter about NWR hiring? Windy just said to hold that thought. I assumed that meant he might answer it another letter but nothing else came of it. It wouldn't surprise me if NWR was going to look for some new staff. When Bloodworth announced he was going, I thought there might be a shuffle in the organization and a new position opening.

Well, if the NWR crew is looking for a helping hand, I'll throw my hat into the ring right now. No need to search high and wide for a candidate. You have some homegrown talent right here in your draft pool (aka forum). So, just call me up from the minors. I'm ready for the big league.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 01, 2007, 10:44:38 AM »

Originally posted by: Khushrenada
Therefore, it's better to let those who may want to purchase the system on an impulse or sudden strong interest do so before a Nintendo fan.

Similar thinking leads to my purchasing third-party games over first-party games when I have a choice (first party games will ALWAYS be on the shelves due to popularity), and is the reason that I do not own Super Paper Mario yet.

Originally posted by: UniversalJuan
Where the hell is Loli Golf on this list?  And like hell Wii Sports gets to be on there without Wii Play. And Dragon Ball more than earns its place up there. Also, where the HELL is Trauma Center?! For some reason I get the weird feeling I'm forgetting 1 or 2 titles.

Oh, special Kairon addon, FarCry Vengence ;x

Haha! Thank you UniversalJuan!

Unfortunately, the titles you've listed and I love are a little more debatable than the one's Golden Phoenix listed. That's why they aren't there: she tried to choose titles which more or less were self-evident in their quality/appeal.

...but I'm gonna throw in Cooking Mama just for the heck of it!

~Carmine "Cai" M. Red
Kairon@aol.com

P.S. We're forgetting TONS of awesome titles on the VC like MYSTICAL FRIGGIN' NINJA BABY YYYEEEAAAAAHHHHHH!!!  
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 01, 2007, 02:20:36 PM »
Khush, you are wrong.  

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 01, 2007, 06:45:03 PM »
About what?

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 01, 2007, 06:56:21 PM »
Your choice of pizza toppings.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 01, 2007, 06:59:48 PM »
Hey man. I listen to Wendy's and do what tastes right. What can I say? I love my spicy perogy pizza.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #82 on: May 21, 2007, 05:02:00 PM »
Xbox 360 is not at 12 million. It hasn't even shipped 12 million yet. It's at about 10 million sold (they shipped 10 million in December, but only did sold by flooding the market. That is what MS announced they would only ship 2 million systems worldwide between December and June).

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 23, 2007, 03:53:47 AM »
I like to say for the record that you can play a good amount of FFIII with the stylus.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

• Voice of Reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 04, 2007, 03:38:55 AM »
Re: June 3, 2007

I would have driven more than an hour to play F-Zero AX, even if only to unlock the blankity-blank AX content in the home version.  Alas, as far as I know the whole thing was just a big Internet hoax, because I never actually saw one anywhere.  There is, however, a drive-in theater still operating here.

« Reply #85 on: June 04, 2007, 11:03:29 AM »
WTF NWR! Did you get my letter about Event pokemon or did it not go through for some reason?

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 05, 2007, 05:49:47 AM »
Hmm... how much does it cost to ship to Namibia? I got a bunch of DS games I wouldn't mind donating and shipping at my own expense. Good Samaritan and all that. Is there any way you can give Toni my e-mail? (If you don't know it by now I may have to start writing my signature again!)

I just checked Play - Asia and I can't find Namibia anywhere on their shipping list!

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
  • Score: 379
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 05, 2007, 08:43:24 AM »
I hate arcades.  Not because they are bad in particular, but they are both overpriced and superficial.  There are two 'arcades' that I know of anywhere close to me that don't count Disney World, Universal Studios, or other Orlando theme parks, one at UF, which is basically about ten machines in number, and the other is a Dave and Buster's in Jacksonville.  The one at UF is alright, in fact, it's one of the arcades I like decently.  It has a few fighting games, an Ultracade, a 2-player DDR machine, a racing game, and a couple on-rail shooters (also a Raiden Jet Fighters(!).  A pretty nice balance for everyone.

Another Gainesville arcade, one in the Oaks mall, consists of racers, rail-shooters, fighters, and a DDR machine, also employing redemption games, though not too many.  The games are in poor service, cost too much to play, and the room is not cooled well, making for an overall un-enjoyable experience.

However, the Dave and Buster's is much larger, and consists of almost exclusively three game types: Racing, Rail-Shooters, and Redemption.  The three 'R's?  No Shmups, no fighters, no puzzle fighters, and virtually nothing unique or worth going there for that you can't really find at home.  Top that off with the limit of needing to be 21 or with someone who is 21 to enter, and add the fact that the games are far too overpriced, and it's just a terrible place to go for games.

Of course, if you really love arcades, there's always Disney Quest, based in Downtown Disney.  Essentially, it is a five-story arcade that is pay-to-enter, while plays free.  It also has several virtual reality 'rides,' which are a bit out of date by now, but mostly fun anyways.  About two and a half of all the floors are based for actual arcade machines, but the downside is that almost every machine will have a short line to play.  This is the only place where I've seen an Ergheiz machine, oddly enough.  If I actually lived a little closer to Orlando, I'd deem this place as worth having an annual pass to get in, but as it stands now, it would take two hours to get there, for me and that isn't worth it.

But yeah, even though I gush about some arcades, I think they suck overall, and on-rails shooters and racers are the almost absolute scum of them.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 05, 2007, 08:48:32 AM »
The only thing I hate about arcades is that the games are too hard, and that they suck too much money outta me. Just let me buy the darn thing and get unlimited plays. I don't want to worry about running out of quarters.

Otherwise, I'm absolutely in love with arcade games! Shooters, Racers, coin shooting games... HECK! One of the biggest surprises of my life was that those HUNTING GAMES were AWESOME FUN when you got unlimited play out of them!

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 05, 2007, 12:34:18 PM »

Originally posted by: Kairon
The only thing I hate about arcades is that the games are too hard, and that they suck too much money outta me. Just let me buy the darn thing and get unlimited plays. I don't want to worry about running out of quarters.

Otherwise, I'm absolutely in love with arcade games! Shooters, Racers, coin shooting games... HECK! One of the biggest surprises of my life was that those HUNTING GAMES were AWESOME FUN when you got unlimited play out of them!

Shooting games are so much fun at the arcade, but they are so hard.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #90 on: June 05, 2007, 12:52:15 PM »
No they're not.

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 05, 2007, 12:55:16 PM »
I agree that they're fun, but when 1/2 of the arcade is shooting games, and the other quarters are racers and redemption, you are going to get bored with the games in less than an hour, especially when they each cost $0.50-$1.00

That's why arcades suck.  None of the owners realize that while shooting games bring in the big money, no one wants to only play shooting games.  People need Shmups, fighters, and beat-em-ups to have some variety so they don't get sick of what's inside.  Blergh!  If only I weren't in charge of everything in the whole world!

Offline 18 Days

• ~*LiL AnGeL*~
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 11, 2007, 12:54:27 AM »
Hey I thought I submitted a question! Why you ignore me like that?
pietriots.com
Calenture

Offline WindyMan

• It was the dog.
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 11, 2007, 06:42:02 AM »

Originally posted by: 18 Days

When you send in a question you're competing with dozens of others.  I used to answer every question that got asked, but not anymore.  Too much work.

I do get everything and read everything, though.

« Reply #94 on: June 11, 2007, 04:25:05 PM »

Originally posted by: 18 Days

When you send in a question you're competing with dozens of others.  I used to answer every question that got asked, but not anymore.  Too much work.

I do get everything and read everything, though.

I think my pokemon question would be something everyone would want to know, did you even get my pokemon question?  I put my name a Viewtiful mario.

Offline 18 Days

• ~*LiL AnGeL*~
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 11, 2007, 05:15:57 PM »
But mine was a serious issue! The whole "DS Phat" thing has gone too far.
pietriots.com
Calenture

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 11, 2007, 09:23:02 PM »
18 days = pwned.

My question got answered last week.

I didn't really care about the answer I was "just feeding the bag" as Windy requested the week before

Offline Nephilim

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 17, 2007, 08:41:21 PM »
You kinda missed the point of his question, you cannot use wiiconnect24 at all
Its not just VC, its everything

I noticed this back in nov, I set my wii to a country next to yugoslavia as I was trying to see if I can get local weather from that region
It totally killed my wiiconnect, had to change it back to Aus

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 17, 2007, 10:25:06 PM »
VAT? SERBIA NOT MAJOR COUNTRY? ?????? ??????? ???
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 25, 2007, 09:51:49 AM »
Responding to the DS VC answer - as long as Nintendo used their own format for said "memory card", and there was protection on the games, just like there is on the Wii, then piracy wouldn't be a concern. The way I see it, there's already a bazillion flash carts out there that pirates *are* using, and enjoying free games - so why shouldn't Nintendo get in on the action and offer a legal alternative, just like the Virtual Console.

Offline LuigiHann

• View Profile
« Reply #100 on: June 25, 2007, 11:19:24 AM »
I still think that since the forecast channel has access to:
A) weather forecasts
and
B) A clock,

It should be able to at least approximate the current weather. It's just absurd to see day and night icons jumbled together in the same area.

Offline Kraven

• One of the goofier Spider-Man villains
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 03, 2007, 05:19:08 PM »
I just wanted to point out a mistake in the newest mailbag, you said that you had to be 18 to get an M game and 21 to get an AO game.  It is in fact 17 for M-rated and 18 for AO.  I work for a certain video game retail chain and have that must be 17 to buy an M-Rated game rule shoved down my throat.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: September 03, 2007, 05:48:02 PM »
Datel already has an SD card for sale with a bunch of gamesaves, I saw it at Wal-Mart the other day.

Offline HadesGigas

• Score: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 03, 2007, 08:30:17 PM »

Then again, no major console was as cheap ($250) at launch and as loaded (free game, no need for memory cards)

Great point. No other major console has been cheaper than that and launched with a free game and no need for memory cards. Only minor consoles that are totally forgettable, like Atari 2600, NES, SNES...  

Offline TheYoungerPlumber

• Thy Rod and Staff
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #104 on: September 03, 2007, 09:32:57 PM »
Adjust for inflation and Steven is still correct....but yeah, that's an iffy statement, Windy.

Atari $200 @ 1977 = $684 @ 2006
NES $200 @ 1986 = $361 @ 2006
SNES $200 @ 1991 = $298 @ 2006

Of course, Wii doesn't come with a second controller...
::Michael "TYP" Cole
::Associate Editor
Nintendo World Report

"Only CHEATERS mess up!" -Waluigi

Offline NeoThunder

• View Profile
« Reply #105 on: September 04, 2007, 01:58:57 AM »
I think your wrong on the age buying of "M" and "AO" rated games

M-rated games are 17 and older
AO is 18 years and older

There is no federal law to my knowledge that requires any retailer to card a customer when buying a game.  

Many retailers DO by choice, and there may be some state laws that require it

You DO NOT have to be 21 or older to buy an AO rated game or 18 to buy a M rated game.  Some states may have laws that invoke your rule but I don't know of any.
Wii# 4120-9638-2308-7614
<BR>
<BR>Mario Kart# 3178-8705-8094
<BR>
<BR>Faith is the complete surrender and acceptence of total control

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: September 04, 2007, 03:39:25 AM »
Are there actually any state laws about that?  I thought they'd all been shot down in court?

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: September 04, 2007, 04:22:58 AM »
I just wanted to say that Datel is coming out of a revised Action Replay that will work, in fact I got an email a couple days ago from one of the employees asking if I wanted to wait for it to be compatible with Wii or get it now.

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: September 04, 2007, 11:22:06 AM »
Any word on freeloader? huh??? HUH!?!?!?! ::cries:: I wanna play NGTNT:EX2

Offline UERD

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: September 04, 2007, 11:54:37 AM »
I asked a Wiimote question a while ago and I don't recall ever seeing it being answered. Do you guys usually get a lot of crappy questions that you have to toss out?  
"I'm looking for shrunken heads w/ DVD playback options. I figure I can hang them in my car like dice. Will you help me?"
- thatguy

"Can you shoot out customizable fireballs? Then why should your Mii be able to?"
- vudu

Offline zero64

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: September 04, 2007, 05:02:40 PM »
About the under level 10 Mews, they certainly exist, just not legitimately. Maybe the people asking for them are not using cheat devices, and/or for some reason want to hold their Pokemon on GTS (e.g. to duplicate them) by asking for an "impossible" match. I'm not sure.

Anyway, you said "they don't know", but I'm pretty sure they do know just about everything there is to know; at least, I was surprised to see how much. If the FAQs on GameFAQs and elsewhere don't convince you of that, search for "pokesav" on YouTube. It's sad how broken the system can be for the legitimate players, with all the hacking that's possible (though there are rumors of Nintendo somehow blocking "impossible" Pokemon, I haven't heard anything yet for sure).

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: September 04, 2007, 05:06:12 PM »
Well, as a person who has duplicated Pokemon with the Wi-fi trick, I can say that you want to pick technically impossible matches to do so with.  I've gotten some obviously hacked pokemon trying to copy something more legitimate.

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: October 14, 2007, 07:36:03 PM »
Things I want to talk about with the new mailbag update:

1.  Nick, the guy who mentioned competition:  First, MS's gaming division is farther in the red then you believe.  So far, only one quarter has been in the black since the launch of the original Xbox, and after last fiscal year, Microsoft added a one billion dollar loss to retroactively to cover the RRoD issues.  That goes to show that Microsoft is actually at least over a billion dollars in the red, but if someone were to do all the numbers, we'd see it's well over that.  It is even questionable whether Halo 3 and Christmas can pull them out for the second black quarter ever, at this point.

2.  Furthermore, you don't have to worry about video game competition.  There are other companies out there that can venture into the market, should others fall out.  It's part of Capitalism, too.  I've been saying that GE could, actually, as well as Apple, or EA, Square-Enix, or even Capcom or Bandai-Namco.  However, if there were no lasting competition, this would not necessarily be a bad thing.  In fact, it might be beneficial to all gamers.  Take a look at video media.  We have the DVD, which has faced no lasting competition.  Anyone could buy one DVD player, and play any movie published between about 1998 up to now, as well as every re-release of earlier movies, too.  Now, we're looking to a new generation of high definition video players, and two formats stand out.  We've got HD-DVD and Blu-Ray, and right now neither is truly making great progress over the other.  As a result, if a consumer wants to be able to play any new release in the current HD standards, that consumer is forced to pay at least three hundred dollars per machine, as well as forced to foot the bill for the movies on top of that.  We went from having access to all the movies to only being able to play half of them without paying a great deal more for an extra, though unnecessary (in theory) device.  Essentially, what I'm saying is that sometimes competition isn't best for consumers.  While it was in earlier years, as game machines increase in cost, this competition is beginning to be harmful to the industry, which cannot support even one high-end machine, let alone two right now, mostly due to cost.  Perhaps it might be better if we let the market regulate itself, and see what happens.  Regardless, you don't need to be worried about the competition.  Just make purchases that benefit you, and as long as everyone else does the same, the best should emerge.

3.  Then, to Mr. Evil King Drool:
Remakes are not a bad thing at all.  Again, I must cite movies.  Ocean's 11.  Godzilla.  Miracle on 34th Street.  Halloween.  The Texas Chain-Saw Massacre.  The King and I.  Annie.  The Manchurian candidate.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_film_remakes_A-M shows there's no shortage of successful movie remakes out there.  Not by a long shot.  Why can't the same happen with games?  A remake isn't a port.  It isn't like taking a black-and-white movie and technicoloring the whole thing.  Look at the Japanese Kingdom Hearts II: Final Mix+, and you'll see a remake of Chain of Memories is included.  Look at Super Mario All Stars.  Look at StarFox 64.  That's a remake, and it's a great one.  Several games have awesome potential to be remade.  Take the recent VC release, Sin and Punishment, for example.  Everyone around here is clamoring for a remake of that one to happen.

Kirby's Super Star is an amazing game.  It easily is the best Kirby game, for length, creativity, fun-factor, and innovation.  The rest of the Kirby franchise after this game (with the exception of Dream Land 3 and Canvas Curse), has been abysmal in comparison.  I'll be happy to own a remake of the game, and I hope that it will inspire a true sequel to it that follows up with the same types of Kirby abilities and game modes.  I firmly believe that remakes of classic games should occur more often.  It helps developers understand the original formulas that gamers loved so much.  It keeps games from becoming bland, boring, and redundant.  I'd love a remake of a classic Sonic title, and I think it would help Sega bring the character back to his roots, as well.  Only time will tell, but I have a good feeling about game remakes.

Offline willem_liu

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: October 14, 2007, 10:27:51 PM »
Wireless USB Keyboard is compatible with the Wii since the latest update.
I'm using a Microsoft Wireless Desktop keyboard on the Wii now.

Offline Maximilian

• View Profile
« Reply #114 on: October 14, 2007, 11:30:39 PM »
I just wanted to reply to Icarus' assumption that Nintendo will repair old GameCube controllers.  Sadly, they will not.  I've had a couple of mine wear out and Nintendo was unwilling to do anything about it.  

Offline Djunknown

• HEY! HEY! LISTEN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: October 15, 2007, 04:14:30 PM »

Once the hockey audience is on the Wii, we'll have a hockey game from EA.

That's a shame there's no hockey game on the Wii the first time around. It begs for it. One possible scheme is to use the Nunchuk for movement, while the Wiimote is held like a hockey stick. Think like Wii Sports tennis, upside down. I'm sure there are other, more viable control schemes that other posters and hockey fans can think of, but the point is, its doable.

If the next installment of Fight Night doesn't make it on the Wii, someone's got to fry. Deep fried.  
Ma ma sa, ma ma coo sa
Ma ma se, ma ma sa,
Ma ma coo sa

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: October 15, 2007, 11:58:05 PM »
Well, the Wii is selling better in Canada than nearly any other territory.

There's a hockey market for it.
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: October 29, 2007, 12:51:52 AM »
Whomever it was looking for a component switch box isn't looking very hard.  They sell the things at Wal*Mart for about $30.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: October 30, 2007, 04:47:32 PM »
In case anyone was wondering about the cheap-o Wii Remotes...

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: January 06, 2008, 04:43:23 PM »
Yay, the mailbag is back! good group of questions too.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: January 06, 2008, 04:50:14 PM »
And a HUGE rant by Windy there at the end. Ayayay. Write an editorial already man!

Offline SkiDragon

• View Profile
« Reply #121 on: January 20, 2008, 02:08:13 PM »
Pertaining patents - while I'm not a patent attorney or anything, I believe you are slightly mistaken on how a patent works. If I recall correctly, a patent does not give you the right to produce something, it merely gives you the right to restrict others from producing it. If I am right, this means that your patent CAN in fact "inherit" from a Nintendo patent, as long as it expands upon it in a sufficient way (where "sufficient" should be replaced with some precise legal definitions that I am not too familiar with). If you are granted this patent, you cannot actually produce said product if it is protected by Nintendo's patent, but you CAN stop Nintendo from producing it, and try to get them to license the rights to your product.  

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: January 20, 2008, 03:10:31 PM »
I tried to submit a question and I got a Railo error. CFM FTW!

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: January 20, 2008, 06:41:54 PM »
Regarding the DS's popularity, Nintendo isn't making nearly as many games because the 3rd parties are now making the good games for it.  The Wii does not have that power yet and so Nintendo is dishing out the first party games to keep it going until it gets better 3rd party support.  Once the 3rd parties make better games for the Wii, they will split their time equally between the two.

Regarding the patents, he could just try to get a job with Nintendo and then pitch the idea to them as well.  Might work.

• Voice of Reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: January 21, 2008, 03:26:33 AM »
I'd recommend the inventor hire a patent attorney.  That stuff can get messy, and only someone who has dedicated a career to working in that system will be able to protect you.

Offline trip1eX

• View Profile
« Reply #125 on: January 21, 2008, 09:35:40 AM »
I don't think the DS has plateaued here in the US.  It has it's best year last year and it's best month last month.

Offline ProlificPoet

• View Profile
« Reply #126 on: January 21, 2008, 03:15:40 PM »
As to why there are so few questions, I've tried to submit a question several days now and keep getting errors (timeout, etc.). I'm guessing others are having the same problem as the error report is coming from the server.

Offline Athrun Zala

• Tween Idol
    • View Profile
    • TM!
Re: The NWR Mailbag Talkback Thread
« Reply #127 on: March 17, 2008, 03:21:27 AM »
The Wii video hardware is simply incapable of outputting an HD signal at an optimal display rate. The best it can muster is 480p at 60hz (or 576p at 50hz for our European friends). While the Wii could technically output at an HD resolution, say 720p, it could only be done at a refresh rate of 40hz.
what what WHAT?
Quote from: [b]Professional 666[/b]
JOIN MY ASS

IT'LL BE LOTS OF FUN
Best. Quote. Ever. XD

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #128 on: March 17, 2008, 11:43:16 AM »
Nintendo published both Banjo games. When Nintendo sold their 49% share of Rare to Microsoft though, part of the agreement was that they also gave up their rights to the Banjo series.

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #129 on: March 17, 2008, 12:31:22 PM »
I just wanted to say that the Sheik/Young Link screen game from a hacked bunch of screenshots that I stumbled upon some time ago.  It was the best angle of Sheik I had.
---------------------

Offline WindyMan

• It was the dog.
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: March 17, 2008, 02:48:54 PM »
The Wii video hardware is simply incapable of outputting an HD signal at an optimal display rate. The best it can muster is 480p at 60hz (or 576p at 50hz for our European friends). While the Wii could technically output at an HD resolution, say 720p, it could only be done at a refresh rate of 40hz.
what what WHAT?
The Wii cannot display games at 720p.  It simply cannot.

However, if someone did something like hack the Wii's video chip, it could technically output in 720p.  The Wii can only output 28,800 scan lines per second in progressive mode, though, so it could only do it at 40hz.  That is, 480x60 = 576x50 = 720x40 = 28,800.

Don't get any ideas of homebrew HD Wii games unless someone gets a'hackin', though.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #131 on: March 17, 2008, 03:05:31 PM »
Do you say that 28,800 number becuz the Wii was designed to that spec, or becuz it's common to NTSC and PAL traditions?  We know it CAN output that many, but who says that's the hardware's LIMIT?
« Last Edit: March 17, 2008, 03:07:29 PM by NinGurl 69 *huggles »

Offline Djunknown

• HEY! HEY! LISTEN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: March 18, 2008, 09:17:57 PM »
But could you imagine the uproar if Nintendo tried dumbing down parts of Fire Emblem or the next Zelda game to make it easier for your grandmother to play it?

They started 'toning' down Zelda since Wind Waker, and wouldn't be the least bit surprised if the next Zelda has accessibility to everyone in mind...

Don't get any ideas of homebrew HD Wii games unless someone gets a 'hackin', though.

The Wii hacking scene has been doing some interesting things already, so again, don't be surprised when someone has at least a proof-of-concept of Wii HD.

Ma ma sa, ma ma coo sa
Ma ma se, ma ma sa,
Ma ma coo sa

Offline Athrun Zala

• Tween Idol
    • View Profile
    • TM!
« Reply #133 on: March 18, 2008, 11:05:15 PM »
what what WHAT?
The Wii cannot display games at 720p.  It simply cannot.

However, if someone did something like hack the Wii's video chip, it could technically output in 720p.  The Wii can only output 28,800 scan lines per second in progressive mode, though, so it could only do it at 40hz.  That is, 480x60 = 576x50 = 720x40 = 28,800.

Don't get any ideas of homebrew HD Wii games unless someone gets a'hackin', though.
The Wii doesn't output in HD because the framebuffer is too small for that (plus some other limitations), which makes it impractical (and practically impossible)

I believe that that 28.800 number is BS however (which is your source for that?)... and let's not forget there are no TVs capable of 40Hz... probably no monitors either.
Quote from: [b]Professional 666[/b]
JOIN MY ASS

IT'LL BE LOTS OF FUN
Best. Quote. Ever. XD

Offline AV

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: July 29, 2008, 02:59:57 PM »
todays was pretty boring

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #135 on: July 29, 2008, 03:12:32 PM »
Well, so was E3, which is what today's mailbag discussed. Here's my question(s):

1) Where are all the good Virtual Console games?

2) What's with the diluge of NeoGeo games lately?
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #136 on: July 29, 2008, 03:16:32 PM »
1)  They already came out.

2)  With the good games out of the way, Neo Geo has less competition.

Offline Djunknown

• HEY! HEY! LISTEN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: July 29, 2008, 10:05:00 PM »
Thatguy wins the MVP award for this round of the mailbag.

Ma ma sa, ma ma coo sa
Ma ma se, ma ma sa,
Ma ma coo sa

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: July 29, 2008, 11:00:40 PM »
that was annoying to read. glad Maxi and D_average shook things up a bit
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline D_Average

• View Profile
« Reply #139 on: July 29, 2008, 11:36:42 PM »
that was annoying to read. glad Maxi and D_average shook things up a bit

Anytime!
Don't hate me, hate the money I see, clothes that I buy
Ice that I wear, clothes that I try....

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: September 04, 2008, 01:04:03 AM »
Thatguy wins the MVP award for this round of the mailbag.

Not me.  Someone used my name, and used it in a terribly offensive manner.  I always go by "thatguy" or "thatguyjr."  No spaces, no caps, and those emails weren't from me.  Really.  I'm hurt.  I'd ask for the email address, but I know Windy wouldn't play that game.  For the record, I'm thatguyjr_at_gmailDOTcom.  Hopefully I don't get spammed a lot, but Windy, if you got an email from anything but that address, it wasn't me.

Pale probably did it.

FOUND IT! http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/forums/index.php?action=profile;u=10772
That's our perpetrator! He's the one we want to kill.  Or...well, he's the one that's almost me.  But he's not!

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #141 on: October 13, 2008, 03:05:58 PM »
Yes, fine, I screwed up Auto's name. I'M SORRY. In my defense, my editor(s) didn't catch that snafu, either. :-)
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline kage1234

• View Profile
« Reply #142 on: October 13, 2008, 03:30:05 PM »
i really don't think "hardcore gamers" are complaining about exciting titles (the conduit, Disaster:DoC, etc.) not being made for the wii, but they're more frustrated w/ the fact that very few of them have a solid release date. it's like they are using their own uncertainty of the release dates as a springboard to just have something to complain about. another thing is the whole chain of rumors that are currently hanging over our heads (Kid Icarus for example) gamers see this stuff posted on websites and automatically think there IS a game like this coming soon. but it is still just a rumor; nothing has yet to be confirmed. people then get mad at developers because they (supposedly) didn't give any info on the game...but how could they? as far as anyone knows, there's nothing even in development. nintendo can only do so much at one time, and they have to make certain decisions about holding back games a couple more months or so. heck, Smash bros brawl was supposed to be a launch title, but it ended up not debuting until almost a year and a half later. but in my eyes that's a good thing (otherwise we wouldn't have solid snake, or sonic) the thing is to be patient

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: October 13, 2008, 05:26:29 PM »
Nintendo still isn't showing me any Wii games that I'm interested in until 2009, which I think is pretty lame.  But if they don't want my money it's their loss, not mine.
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: October 13, 2008, 05:54:03 PM »
If you guys don't buy Deadly Creatures I will personally beat you all with a stick.

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #145 on: October 13, 2008, 07:01:01 PM »
Deady Wha??? ;)
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline D_Average

• View Profile
« Reply #146 on: October 13, 2008, 07:02:54 PM »
If you guys don't buy Deadly Creatures I will personally beat you all with a stick.

Please tell me you're joking.  Said game will be a classic example of decent idea, mediocre implementation.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: October 13, 2008, 07:11:48 PM »

Please tell me you're joking.  Said game will be a classic example of decent idea, mediocre implementation.

I take it you have played it? If not please shut up because those who have say it has lots of potential. Though I'll admit it may not be as cool as FPS "fill in the blank" which you are probably dieing to get. Seriously, this bashing of Wii games especially when impressions have shown promise is getting old and it is quite childish. We get it, you hate Wii and its lineup, but no need to insult my recommendation and a game that has been getting positive impressions.

I'd also throw SPRay in there as a game that could be something to keep an eye out for.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2008, 07:21:41 PM by GoldenPhoenix »

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: October 13, 2008, 08:29:39 PM »
I played Monster Lab at PAX and it was awesome!
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline blackfootsteps

• Recovering GoldenPhoenix fan.
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: October 13, 2008, 08:34:11 PM »
Interesting, it says on wiki that Billy Bob 'I Love Blood' Thornton and Dennis Hopper are voicing characters in DC. That's pretty cool.
“I waited all day. you waited all day.. but you left before sunset.. and I just wanted to tell you the moment was beautiful. Just wanted to dance to bad music drive bad cars.. watch bad TV.. should have stayed for the sunset...if not for me.â€

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #150 on: October 13, 2008, 09:19:43 PM »
Interesting, it says on wiki that Billy Bob 'I Love Blood' Thornton and Dennis Hopper are voicing characters in DC. That's pretty cool.

Yep that was recently announced. At least it looks like they are putting some money into the game. My guess though is that it is very likely it will be delayed until next year to polish things up.

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #151 on: October 13, 2008, 10:38:39 PM »

Yep that was recently announced. At least it looks like they are putting some money into the game. My guess though is that it is very likely it will be delayed until next year to polish things up.

Well if the Super Mario Bros. Movie's very own Dennis Hopper is attached to the project, i MUST buy it.

Offline D_Average

• View Profile
« Reply #152 on: October 14, 2008, 10:04:42 AM »

I take it you have played it? If not please shut up because those who have say it has lots of potential. Though I'll admit it may not be as cool as FPS "fill in the blank" which you are probably dieing to get. Seriously, this bashing of Wii games especially when impressions have shown promise is getting old and it is quite childish. We get it, you hate Wii and its lineup, but no need to insult my recommendation and a game that has been getting positive impressions.

I'd also throw SPRay in there as a game that could be something to keep an eye out for.

All I'm going to say is the main character sounds like a sick horse.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: October 14, 2008, 02:26:17 PM »
Not sure what you are referencing the main characters are voiced by Billy Bob and Hopper. Besides the human characters are secondary and just work to tie things together.

Offline D_Average

• View Profile
« Reply #154 on: October 14, 2008, 02:31:41 PM »
Not sure what you are referencing the main characters are voiced by Billy Bob and Hopper. Besides the human characters are secondary and just work to tie things together.

They sound fine, its the spidey character that I have issue with.  Now granted, most spiders do not talk, squeal, or growl so this certainly presents a predicament when coming up with an appropriate sound.  I'm just not so sure a cross between a lion growl and a pony grunt was the way to go.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #155 on: October 14, 2008, 02:48:37 PM »
how bout a HISSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #156 on: October 14, 2008, 11:38:47 PM »
how bout a HISSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

or pizzicato strings..

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #157 on: August 18, 2009, 11:14:36 PM »
M-M-M-MEGA BUMP!!!

The latest edition of the Mailbag is up. Check it out!
« Last Edit: August 18, 2009, 11:29:56 PM by Mr. Jack »
Check out PixlBit!

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: August 18, 2009, 11:20:00 PM »
link?

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #159 on: August 18, 2009, 11:22:59 PM »
Use the link to the front page from the forum.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #160 on: August 18, 2009, 11:39:05 PM »
::Scrolls to top of page::
::clicks link::
::ends up back on the front page of forum::

Thanks...

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #161 on: August 18, 2009, 11:40:15 PM »
I edited my post to include the link.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline Djunknown

• HEY! HEY! LISTEN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: August 19, 2009, 12:27:27 AM »
    "The quality [of Sonic] is something that will be fixed over time. It's not something where you wake up one morning and say, 'You know what, we're going to improve our quality on this franchise,' and it magically happens."

Resident Evil 4 says hi.

At some point they will have to produce a Wii title with some substance, if only to stay profitable.

Unfortunately, 3rd parties still think Nintendo has cooties...
Ma ma sa, ma ma coo sa
Ma ma se, ma ma sa,
Ma ma coo sa

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #163 on: August 19, 2009, 12:54:02 AM »
    "The quality [of Sonic] is something that will be fixed over time. It's not something where you wake up one morning and say, 'You know what, we're going to improve our quality on this franchise,' and it magically happens."

Resident Evil 4 says hi.

Resident Evil 5 says goodbye

At some point they will have to produce a Wii title with some substance, if only to stay profitable.

Unfortunately, 3rd parties still think Nintendo has cooties...

They (3rd parties) are also allergic to low definition money. Common side effect of the HD vaccine.

Offline Stele

• View Profile
« Reply #164 on: August 19, 2009, 01:12:47 AM »
Welcome back mailbag.  ;D

As for the M+ Zelda question... Tiger Woods seems to calibrate seamlessly. There's a mention of placing it facedown for a few seconds similar to WSR if you feel that it is not calibrated properly.  But there's no popup screens or anything noticeable.  And after 2 months of play now, I've never noticed a problem.  :o

RE4 is the answer to the Sonic and the quality 3rd party games question.  :P

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: August 19, 2009, 08:41:04 AM »
Welcome back mailbag.  ;D

As for the M+ Zelda question... Tiger Woods seems to calibrate seamlessly. There's a mention of placing it facedown for a few seconds similar to WSR if you feel that it is not calibrated properly.  But there's no popup screens or anything noticeable.  And after 2 months of play now, I've never noticed a problem.  :o

RE4 is the answer to the Sonic and the quality 3rd party games question.  :P

Tiger Woods pretty much has you calibrate the remote every time you swing a club because you have to hold B and point downwards. In a consistently active game, calibration becomes more of an issue.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #166 on: August 19, 2009, 12:36:19 PM »
I tried playing Conduit with Motion Plus plugged in, and it was uncomfortable.  The extended unit was always getting in the way while resting and holding the Remote from my lap.

Nyko will have to release a 3rd party sobakawa lap pillow to remedy this issue.