Author Topic: Miyamoto Confirms Revolution Control for Zelda  (Read 41629 times)

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
Miyamoto Confirms Revolution Control for Zelda
« on: March 15, 2006, 05:55:23 AM »
Finally, 100% official confirmation that Twilight Princess will have special control features when played on Revolution. The creator of Mario also discusses New Super Mario Bros. for DS.

In an interview with Nintendo's European branch, Shigeru Miyamoto has confirmed a feature often mentioned and sometimes disavowed by Nintendo execs: that The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess will be playable with the Revolution's motion-sensing controller.    

The full interview is available at the link above, but only for NOE's "VIP Lounge" members.  For everyone else, here are the juiciest excerpts:    

On Zelda:    

“I would say that we are progressing well with completing it," says Miyamoto. “And one of the most important features is that, because Revolution can run GameCube software, when you play Twilight Princess on Revolution you can take advantage of the Revolution controller."    

On New Super Mario Bros.:    

“I told [the development staff] that we really don’t need any story behind this new Super Mario Bros. at all. I have narrowed down the whole story to about half of what my team originally came up with. Peach is kidnapped, Mario has to go and rescue her from Bowser and the Koopa Kids. That’s about all you need to know for the story!" he laughs. “But what you really need to know is that in the quest you are going to encounter some unprecedented play ideas.    

“When it comes to Mario, sometimes you may be able to do an ultra super jump and you are going to see a very unique and unprecedented jumping style. In terms of Super Mario, everybody already expects him to become bigger but this time, with the help of a Super Giant Mushroom, Super Mario can become gigantic, taking up almost all the screen, and he can destroy everything."    

‘And Mario can also become very small, by using another type of mushroom, right?’ we add.    

“Right," says Miyamoto.

Not surprisingly, Miyamoto asks us to wait until E3 for more details about Revolution, although NCL President Satoru Iwata may reveal information sooner, at the upcoming Game Developers Conference.  Planet GameCube will be at both events to bring you the latest news and our own interviews of Nintendo luminaries.    

Thanks to BlackNMild2k1 in our forums for the tip!

THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline RiskyChris

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE: Miyamoto Confirms Revolution Control for Zelda
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2006, 06:12:20 AM »
Oh my god!
=D

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2006, 06:21:43 AM »
I remember this Zelda info being "confirmed" earlier on before Reggie (I think it was him) made a comment that suggested otherwise.  The way we've been switching back and forth it might be a good idea to assume nothing until we see Nintendo demonstrate the remote with Zelda.

Though I want to know why remote support is "one of the most important features" for a Gamecube game.

Offline RiskyChris

• View Profile
RE:Miyamoto Confirms Revolution Control for Zelda
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2006, 06:26:09 AM »

Originally posted by: Ian Sane
I remember this Zelda info being "confirmed" earlier on before Reggie (I think it was him) made a comment that suggested otherwise.  The way we've been switching back and forth it might be a good idea to assume nothing until we see Nintendo demonstrate the remote with Zelda.

"There are no American infidels in Baghdad. Never!"

Offline Rize

• Disgruntled
  • Score: -2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2006, 06:43:11 AM »
Maybe it's not so important to the gameplay, but I'm sure it's important to Nintendo.  It's important because it justifies the idea of buying a GameCube game to play on the Rev.  Think of it as a gateway game for those who never got a Cube.  It'll validate the idea of playing GameCube games on the Rev and make sure that almost everyone buying one at launch knows about the backward compatibility and is willing to use it.  And the features will get a lot of people to unofficially add it to the list of Rev launch titles (assuming it's released at right about the same time as the Rev) making the Rev launch lineup look even more impressive.

From a gameplay perspective... I don't see how it could be used for much more than fishing without completely unbalancing gameplay that is designed for a typical controller.  Guess we'll see.

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2006, 06:45:25 AM »
“I would say that we are progressing well with completing it," says Miyamoto. “And one of the most important features is that, because Revolution can run GameCube software, when you play Twilight Princess on Revolution you can take advantage of the Revolution controller."

There it is, FINALLY.

Though I want to know why remote support is "one of the most important features" for a Gamecube game.

We've been through this before:

1. Cube support sucked because the launch sucked and so did the 3rd party follow up as a result.

2. There are numerous gamers who will ONLY buy a Nintendo system when it offers a Zelda game (specifically a non-celshaded one).

3. Gamers who do not own a Gamecube are more likely to buy a Revolution when they go to buy TP, especially if the game offers Rev controls.

4. This is done so that the Rev will have the best launch possible. The Rev launch lineup could consist of a bunch of games which are better than sex but that doesn't change the fact that there are gamers who consider Zelda to be canon in the world of gaming and will ONLY purchase a Nintendo system for it.

Don't bitch about lack of cube support AND about Nintendo wanting to push the Rev with everything they have in order to ensure it doesn't suffer the same fate as the cube.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2006, 06:53:11 AM »
By the way, this doesn't necessarily mean that Zelda and Revolution will launch at the same time.  Zelda could still come out first with this support, as long as the controller interface is quite finalized by then.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2006, 07:00:15 AM »
What is really funny about this is we had semi-confirmation about this along time ago.

Remember the after the second delay of the game it was stated one of the reasons for the delay was because they got the green light to add new gameplay elements that was being reserved for the next Zelda game.

Well, what would be reserved for the next Zelda game except for perhaps Revolution controls.  For the most part Zelda games have a very simple game concept, design and themes...so I don't see what could have been so special that it left out for the Revolution except controller support.

Now I have a decision to make though.  Do I play the game first on the Cube and experience traditional Zelda or do I play it first on the Revolution and finally experience a new truly unique Zelda game experience.  

I think I am going to wait for the Revolution to play this game now.

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2006, 07:05:37 AM »
"Maybe it's not so important to the gameplay, but I'm sure it's important to Nintendo. It's important because it justifies the idea of buying a GameCube game to play on the Rev."

That makes sense though I still don't like the idea of using a Cube game to try to sell Revs.  When I asked that question I was thinking more in terms of gameplay since that's what I consider important so it's the first thing I thought of.  Logically it can't be too important to the actual game or they'll break the game for Cube owners.  But that's kind of what I'm worried about.  I hope that all he means is that it's important from a business point of view.

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2006, 07:13:30 AM »
I'm sure that's what he means.

Otherwise, he'd have to be implying that Zelda wouldn't work with the cube but the Rev fixes it, despite it being in development for the cube for years.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2006, 07:43:21 AM »
Zelda having Revolution controls is good Gamecube and good for the Revolution.

For one, it is still on the Gamecube which will help support the system which could have used this game a long time go.  But it also helps because it is a Gamecube game people will want to play on the Revolution for the new functions, and as such it helps remind gamers hey I can play Gamecube games on this system.  In doing so newcomers to the Revolution may pick up older Gamecube games they heard about but didn't ever play or buy.

This helps the Revolution as well because now it technically has a new launch title in the form of Zelda...a series that is one of the most popular and beloved franchises ever.  

Nintendo is doing something very smart here.

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2006, 07:50:03 AM »
This actually caught me off-guard, wasn't expecting it.  Interesting news, but I hope the delay was so they could do more to the game than just this.

I'll still probably play the game with the Gamecube controller, as it's sort of the last vestige of this control scheme (as far as Zelda is concerned, and probably Nintendo, and therefore probably me).  But I'll definitely try it with Rev controls, after beating it.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2006, 07:58:59 AM »

Originally posted by: Hostile Creation
This actually caught me off-guard, wasn't expecting it.
R U Serious!? This has been rumored since the first delay and halfway confirmed by NGC magazine a few months ago but was later denied. Now it is confirmed(expect it to be written off as a translation error later ) and I think everyone here was expecting this(except for you)

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2006, 08:06:46 AM »

Originally posted by: Spak-Spang
In doing so newcomers to the Revolution may pick up older Gamecube games they heard about but didn't ever play or buy.

Agreed.

In fact, I think Nintendo should make sure to advertise a "Player's Choice" lineup for all the greatest cube games which are also technically Rev games.

Offline PaLaDiN

• I'm your new travel agent!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2006, 08:14:29 AM »
I guess this is confirmation that the GC is dead and they don't trust Zelda to sell well on it alone. Nintendo says time to move on to the "new" generation.
<BR><BR>It shone, pale as bone, <BR>As I stood there alone...

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2006, 08:25:41 AM »

Originally posted by: PaLaDiN
I guess this is confirmation that the GC is dead and they don't trust Zelda to sell well on it alone. Nintendo says time to move on to the "new" generation.

It's more a statement that they don't trust Revolution to sell without a big name like Zelda.

But companies like Nintendo are always very eager to convince people to move on to the next generation.  They need to recoup R&D and initial manufacturing costs as quickly as possible, as well as establish a large installed base to secure future software development.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2006, 08:32:22 AM »

Originally posted by: Jonnyboy117

Originally posted by: PaLaDiN

It's more a statement that they don't trust Revolution to sell without a big name like Zelda.

But companies like Nintendo are always very eager to convince people to move on to the next generation.  They need to recoup R&D and initial manufacturing costs as quickly as possible, as well as establish a large installed base to secure future software development.

I'm going with Paladin here...Ninty has quite a bit of confidence in how the Revolution will do, particularly in Japan...Ninty has put way too much into Twilight Princess for it to not sell well because it's the Gamecube's last year...People will be more interested in it when they see the instant connection between TP and a next-gen system...

(And I think the "eager to move to next generation" is pure bullshit...A lot of gamers (not myself) are quite anxious to move on to next-gen...)
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2006, 08:48:06 AM »
"It's more a statement that they don't trust Revolution to sell without a big name like Zelda."

Wait... isn't that worse?  I would hope they have a little more faith in their own launch lineup.

If Zelda can sell a few extra Revs that's good.  But the Rev should not rely on a Gamecube game to sell.  It's screwed if it is.  The Rev concept has to be good enough to stand on it's own.

Offline RiskyChris

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2006, 08:54:26 AM »
Maybe, like a baby learning to walk on its own, the revolution must be stood up by a parent first?

Edit: Kinda like a shuttle can orbit the earth on its own, but it needs a rocket to get there first

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2006, 09:07:01 AM »
" R U Serious!? This has been rumored since the first delay and halfway confirmed by NGC magazine a few months ago but was later denied. Now it is confirmed(expect it to be written off as a translation error later ) and I think everyone here was expecting this(except for you) "

I was aware of the rumors.  I'm not all that surprised, I just wasn't sure if they'd do it, and I definitely didn't expect the announcement from out of nowhere.
Also, I'm constantly denying "Twilight Princess will be a Rev only game" rumors, so I instinctively related the two somehow, which threw me for a loop.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2006, 09:12:20 AM »

Originally posted by: Ian Sane
"It's more a statement that they don't trust Revolution to sell without a big name like Zelda."

Wait... isn't that worse?  I would hope they have a little more faith in their own launch lineup.

If Zelda can sell a few extra Revs that's good.  But the Rev should not rely on a Gamecube game to sell.  It's screwed if it is.  The Rev concept has to be good enough to stand on it's own.

*cough* PS2 *cough* ! In other words Ian, before you type think about it again, and again, and again, and again...

Anyway, so Iwata might reveal more info at GDC eh? Not bad, I was kind of hoping that because Sony has started to release a little more info too.

I'm still confused about REV's backward-compatibility towards the NGC games, but then again I expect clarification about this in the least at GDC.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2006, 09:27:35 AM »
Ian, it isn't about how the Revolution needs Zelda, it's about how Zelda can further leverage the revolution.

Remember, Nintendo is really giving this gen a go and they'll need all the help they can get. It would be prideful and careless of them to let TP and its 2+ years of work be just a GC game when the GC has been all but forgotten. If Nintendo really intends to play hardball this generation, then Zelda forward compatibility would only go further to indicating Nintendo's earnest attempts at console success rather than what you perceive.

~Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2006, 09:28:45 AM »
This caught me off guard because Nintendo said about four hundred times that it was not the case.   I don't care if it was rumored months ago, I trusted Reggie and Miyamoto and Iwata when they denied it.

Although now that I think of it, they were all pretty shifty and only said "It will remain a GameCube game," which it will.  Bastards.
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline trip1eX

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2006, 09:36:49 AM »
This news was pretty much a given after Zelda was delayed till fall.  

I think this just shows Nintendo is committed to making the Revoluton launch it's best launch ever.  

btw, I also believe that Nintendo will beef up the graphics for the Zelda game when played on the Rev.  

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2006, 10:10:13 AM »
LEGEND OF ZERUDA: TWILITE FLOP
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.