Author Topic: G4 Interview with Iwata Reveals New Details  (Read 54158 times)

Offline TheYoungerPlumber

• Thy Rod and Staff
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
G4 Interview with Iwata Reveals New Details
« on: September 28, 2005, 12:00:57 AM »
Nintendo is proposing ideas to publishers?  Revolution will be targeted as a secondary system to hardcore gamers?  Iwata spills the beans on these topics and more in G4's twenty minute interview.

On Tuesday G4 ran an interview with Satoru Iwata, conducted by Geoff Keighley during Tokyo Game Show 2005.  The aired interview was severely edited and came across as mostly useless; fortunately G4 has posted a lengthy unedited version on its website.  While much of what Iwata discusses about Nintendo DS and Revolution is familiar, he does add a few surprising (and troubling) comments on the Revolution and the company's strategy.    

When asked about Revolution's graphical capabilities and High Definition support, Mr. Iwata claims that users will not see a discernable difference between Revolution and Xbox 360/PS3 games on standard definition sets.  Although the president does not explicitly reconfirm the omission of HD, Iwata explains that Nintendo feels mainstream appeal is far more important than graphical prowess since current non-gamers have no interest in the visual quality of current games.  In fact, he goes as far as to say Nintendo hopes those hardcore enough to care about the graphical differences and buy a PS3 or Xbox360 will also buy a Revolution, since the Revolution will provide unique experiences.  A bold statement--one clearly demonstrating a shift in Nintendo's console strategy.  Nintendo isn't trying to be number two: it is aiming for the top spot from a different angle--one that is profitable for both Nintendo and its partners.    

Iwata also discusses Nintendo's recent interactions with publishers and developers.  He explains that western publishers initially were wary of the freestyle controller, but quickly became receptive once Nintendo introduced the nunchaku attachment.  Iwata also reveals that Nintendo has approached publishers and developers with gameplay concepts, proposing how their established franchises could benefit from Revolution's controller.  The spokesman claims that, "without exception," all third parties have responded positively to such "concrete proposals," and Nintendo has found the meetings constructive and enjoyable.  He refused to mention any specific collaborations, but he promised many familiar titles and suggested the Revolution could have a large launch line-up "in 2006."    

Finally, the interview touches on The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess.  Iwata apologizes for the delay but insists Nintendo will keep its promise to release the game on the GameCube.  However, the president expresses interest in the franchise's possibilities on the Revolution, alluding to the promotional video's sword fighting.    

You can access G4's full interview with Satoru Iwata on its TGS 2005 home page.

::Michael "TYP" Cole
::Associate Editor
Nintendo World Report

"Only CHEATERS mess up!" -Waluigi

Offline ruby_onix

• Obsessive Sailormoon Fanatic
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE: G4 Interview with Iwata Reveals New Details
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2005, 01:38:16 AM »

Although the president does not explicitly reconfirm the omission of vital buttons, Iwata explains that Nintendo feels mainstream appeal is far more important than controls since current non-gamers have no interest in gameplay.

Edit: Win!
Poor people should eat wheat!
I'm about to go punk up some 3rd parties so they don't release games on other hardware, ciao!
- Ken Kutaragi

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
  • Score: 52
    • View Profile
RE:G4 Interview with Iwata Reveals New Details
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2005, 01:45:26 AM »
This makes me wonder who Nintendo are trying to attract? Non-gamers only or are they trying to cater to everybody.
Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).

Offline Nephilim

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2005, 02:51:57 AM »
nothing new and exciting
the questions were was too general and easly allowed Iwata to change the subject

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2005, 03:17:07 AM »

Originally posted by: ruby_onix

Although the president does not explicitly reconfirm the omission of vital buttons, Iwata explains that Nintendo feels mainstream appeal is far more important than controls since current non-gamers have no interest in gameplay.

Edit: Win!

Oh ho ho, I get it...Because Nintendo doesn't know what gameplay is, right?  Oh wait, that's not the bloody case at all...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Avinash_Tyagi

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2005, 04:45:59 AM »

This makes me wonder who Nintendo are trying to attract? Non-gamers only or are they trying to cater to everybody.

How does the comment that they are not going for HD support make you think that they aren't going for the hardcore gamers?

All they are saying is that they are going for a much larger market than just the Hardcore gamer, as for HD support who cares?  I'm not concerned with the graphics at this point, I want better gameplay, besides its definetly going to be better than GCN level so what more do you need  

Offline mantidor

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2005, 05:09:35 AM »
does the z button in the GC controller count as vital button for ruby? just wondering... because theres a D pad, an analog stick and four buttons accesible with this configuration, why would you need more knowing what the remote does?  
"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2005, 05:28:27 AM »
I think Ruby is joking.

Nintendo knows that most hardcore gamers are too hardcore for innovation. They have narrowed their tastes over time and wouldn't think you're innovating, they think you "didn't get it". Take Metroid Prime, it's a first person shooter and many claim Nintendo didn't "get it", namely that FPSes should be about accurate targeting and combat. That Metroid Prime is a different type of game doesn't cross their minds.

Offline denjet78

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2005, 06:18:41 AM »
I just reread this and I think it would be appropriate to add this little opening:

*** WARNING ***

This post may contain a certain gamers pent up aggression. Read with caution. And for the love of god, don't flame because you feel personally attacked or that the opinions expressed herein are unacceptable in regards to your own.

*** WARNING ***

Considering that Nintendo wouldn't be able to compete with Sony or MS on equal footing, and let's face it why the hell would they want to, I don't see the whole "second console" thing as anything bad. They're seeing that the PS3 and the XBox 360 are going to be multimedia machines that also (take a good long look at that word as this is the direction console gaming is headed) play video games.

On the other hand, Nintendo is setting themselves up as the "games only" alternative with all sorts of extra little game related dodads and ideas to intregue gamers with. When the market finally does become completely obscured and Sony and MS jump ship from games, considering the small amount of revenue each company is actually making from them, Nintendo will still be there. And if you see a problem with this concept, remember that it worked before. Just because PCs played games that didn't stop consoles from appearing and becoming far more popular.

I see this as more of a buffer than anything else. Sony and MS are forcing the market in a certain direction. In order for Nintendo to survive, and games overall, they have to differentiate themselves from the competition so much so that they're seen as a completely different market. There's no other way to do it other than to become a multimedia giant as well and pull console gaming even further out of focus at which point I will stop playing games all together.

As for approaching developers with new game concepts, this is a great thing. In fact, I'd say that if they weren't doing this they'd be in a heap load of trouble. I'm just hoping that they're only spreading new gameplay ideas, and not just franchises, around. This generation with farming out franchises was an interesting idea, but it brought almost zero return. After the Sonic adventure titles, did any Sega game remain exclusive to the GC? Namco basically pulled the same thing. And we ALL know about the whole Capcom debacle.

And I'm sick to DEATH of the whole argument about graphics and hi-def, of which you don't need EITHER to make a great game. If you want to make that the whole crux of your argument against Nintendo, then you're better off getting a PS3 or an XBox 360 as chances are, you'd never be willing to give a great new gaming idea a chance anyway because it didn't fit into you narrow minded perceptions of what a game "should" be.

Oh, I'm sorry... I meant to say what Sony and MS TOLD you a game "should" be and you believed them because hey, they've got that kickin' rad ad campain and Nintendo's for the I LOVE HALO 2s right?

GOD DAMN RETARDED HILLBILLY..... URGH!@

Calm... calm....

Anyway, there's nothing "troubling" here. This is what most Nintendo gamers have been thinking Nintendo was going to have to do sooner or later anyway. As is, I'm a bit upset that they put DVD playback in the Rev anyway. I don't NEED another DVD player. I already have 2... and I only have 1 TV, which is not hi-def because that crap is still WAAAAAAY too expensive.

Edit:

Wow...  I didn't know there were word filters on this forum.

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2005, 06:43:17 AM »
The only thing is....

....the DVD attechemt in optional  
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline trip1eX

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2005, 06:53:45 AM »
In the interview Iwata said the nunchuck expansion is particularly aimed at Western customers and fps games.

I think this is for the hardcore.

Offline mantidor

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2005, 06:54:35 AM »
hehe

DVDs are so mainstream now that it actually makes sense to put the add-on functionality,while going with blue-ray, although understandable because sony is behind the format, is a huge risk. For start ps3 will bomb around here in latinamerica because its near impossible to pirate blue-ray disks, since you know, theres hardly even blue-ray players to begin with.

It will be interesting that I finally will be able to prove that piracy around third world countries like mine does indeed has a big impact in the overall success of a console. I see the ps3 failing overall unless they manage to get blue ray mainstream, HD TVs cheaper and the ps3 under 300, which none will happen.
"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2005, 07:04:32 AM »
Time for a math word problem:

So if Sony sells 50 million PS3s and Microsoft sells 40 million 360s, then nintendo sells 30 million Revolutions to PS3 owners and and 20 million Revolutions to 360 owners, not mention 10 million Revolutions to people who don't own either console, who sells the most consoles?*

*all numbers are arbitrary Ian.

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2005, 07:10:40 AM »

Considering that Nintendo wouldn't be able to compete with Sony or MS on equal footing

You know, I don't think it's a matter of not being able to compete; I think it's a lack of willingness.  MS jumped in, copied what was popular among the hardcore, and grabbed a huge market.  Nintendo on the other hand is never satisfied with just copying another company's gameplay model, they constantly experiment with new hardware gadgets, rarely sacrifice profits, and seem more concerned with the quality and innovation of their games than popularity.
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2005, 07:44:33 AM »
Targeting the Rev as a secondary console for hardcore gamers is not a good idea.  To hardcore gamers the "war" is incredibly important.  The winner gets the most third party games so it's incredibly important to pick who you think is going to be the winner.  By encouraging the purchase of another console Nintendo has admitted they're not even going to TRY to win and that's going to turn off a lot of hardcore gamers.

Most people buy only one console.  So if Nintendo is saying ahead of time that buying the Rev alone won't suit a hardcore gamer's needs then for most there's no point in owning a Rev.  If you're only going to buy one Nintendo is not even an option.

Iwata basically just told me not to buy a Rev.  I'm not cool with the controller but I'm open to the possibility that Nintendo could win me over with some killer games.  But if they're not even going to try to improve things then I'm not going to bother.  The possibility of Nintendo improving things is what has allowed me to put up with sh!tty third party support, and waiting months between games, and having weak rental selections.  I don't like dealing with the BS that comes with owning the last place console.  So if Nintendo isn't going to even try why should I bother?  Why not just wait until a year later when the Rev is in the clearence bin and I can get all the games in one big blob for next to nothing?  I knew the Cube wasn't going to be number one overnight but I felt it had potential to fix a lot of the problems of the N64 era so I was going to give it a chance.  If the Rev is a secondary console then the problems of the Cube won't be fixed and I'm not buying two consoles because Nintendo can't get their act together.

Plus having a secondary console will KILL multiplatform third party sales and that will really damage third party interest.  Multiplatform games only work if people buy the console as their only console.  EA makes Madden for the market leader and then ports over.  The Rev will not get the best version of Madden but if the Rev is the only console the userbase owns they'll get it anyway because they can't get the better PS3 version.  But if Nintendo encourages the userbase to also own a PS3 then the option of the better version is there and the Rev version will sell much worse.  Ever notice how third party sales dropped like a rock after Nintendo cut the Cube price and it became somewhat of a defacto secondary console?  This is why.

I'm not so keen on Nintendo approaching developers with ideas either.  Nintendo is probably the best developer in the world but they're not perfect.  There are certain types of games they just aren't good at.  Plus Nintendo has the idea that in order for a console to be for everybody every game has to be suitable for everybody and as a result their lineup has little variety.  I like third party games because they're not Nintendo games.  They're different and sometimes you want different.  If Nintendo has a lot of input in what games third parties make then the "everybody" approach is going to have influence and it may result in a very homogenous lineup.  It's like how Nintendo got third parties like Camelot, Treasure, Namco & Sega on board and then had them make games that were no different than Nintendo first party stuff and the unique talents those third parties bring to the table weren't used.  Plus if you have to suggest ideas to third parties then your innovative concept probably isn't all that great.

These comments, in my opinion, highly suggest that non-gamers are clearly the target demographic for the Rev and traditional gamers are an afterthought.  Why else would Iwata actually suggest the idea of buying a competing console if you're a hardcore gamer?

Offline Artimus

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2005, 07:51:33 AM »
I've decided not to buy Revolution. Ian is right, Nintendo is no longer interested in quality products.

Offline mantidor

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2005, 08:28:28 AM »
"I'm not so keen on Nintendo approaching developers with ideas either. Nintendo is probably the best developer in the world but they're not perfect. There are certain types of games they just aren't good at."

I really, really, really doubt Nintendo will give a bad suggestion to a third party about how to use the controller. Third parties like Camelot, Treasure, Namco & Sega made "Nintendo" games because thats what the franchises they used were, I highly doubt  Nintendo wouldve tell Capcom to add turtles in a RE game for instance. Having Nintendo suggesting ideas is nothing but a good thing.

"Plus Nintendo has the idea that in order for a console to be for everybody every game has to be suitable for everybody and as a result their lineup has little variety."

E games range from Zelda to Animal Crossing and Pikmin. I dont know how could it be posible to have more variety than that.

And to finish, Ive find out that the "hardcore" and "casual" label are so loosely defined that they can end up meaning completly opposite things. Ive read both of these comments in forums around the interweb an both made total sense giving the context of the discussion:

"The Rev will alineate hardcore gamers for being so different, casual players will love it for its simplicity"

"The Rev will alineate casual gamers since they cant play Madden on it, hardcore gamers will give it a chance though for offering such interesting and new gameplay elements"

So if you pay close attention, in the interview Iwata seems to  refer to "hardcore" gamers as graphic whores who want their HD gaming.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2005, 08:28:53 AM »
The Revolution potentially has an advantage this generation for the multi-console user. If using the NRC wand is compelling enough, then people will buy the Rev version of that third party FPS that is also available on the ps3 and 360

Offline RABicle

• Used to be The Finisher
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Pietriots
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2005, 08:33:38 AM »

Originally posted by: Ian Sane
BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH SAME OLD DOGMA RINSED

Rite tahts it im baning u
Pietriots  - Post ironic gaming log.

Offline NRevolutionR

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2005, 08:35:49 AM »
Ok,

breath

breath

breath

MAN, ALL OF YOU FUNKERS NEED TO LEARN HOW TO READ!!!!! or Ill go on you.

It clearly states that Nintendo is indeed going after number one.

Come on Lan, sometimes you are justified, but mostly you are just playing the SHAT out of your character.
Quote<BR>    opĀ·tiĀ·mist<BR>    n.<BR>    1. One who usually expects a favorable outcome<BR>    2. Bill Aurion<BR><BR>    Quote<BR>    pes'siĀ·mist<BR>    n.<BR>    1. A person who expects the worst<BR>    2. Ian Sane

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2005, 08:36:59 AM »
"I'm not so keen on Nintendo approaching developers with ideas either. Nintendo is probably the best developer in the world but they're not perfect. There are certain types of games they just aren't good at."

This is so stupid...Do you think maybe the devs would not use the ideas if they felt they didn't work?  I mean seriously...It's like "OMG EVERYTHING WILL GO AS I SAY IN IAN LAND!"

These comments, in my opinion, highly suggest that non-gamers are clearly the target demographic for the Rev and traditional gamers are an afterthought.

Yeah, even though Iwata and Miyamoto has said MANY times that they balanced the design of the Rev controller so it will attract new gamers as well as please traditional gamers...It doesn't please you?  Sorry, Ian, but you don't qualify as a gamer...

Why else would Iwata actually suggest the idea of buying a competing console if you're a hardcore gamer?

Where were you when it was revealed that the Revolution is about playing games a new way?  You won't be buying a Revolution solely for ports that can be found on the other consoles, right?  If you do, then why buy a Nintendo system in the first place!?

And I LOVE how you haven't detailed exactly how Ninty would benefit from following the same ****ing gameplan as Sony and Microsoft...Why?  Because you CAN'T, plain and simple...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2005, 08:45:02 AM »
"If using the NRC wand is compelling enough, then people will buy the Rev version of that third party FPS that is also available on the ps3 and 360"

Only if the Rev version is the best version.  That relies on third parties actually making use of the Rev's features and not just making a PS3 game and then going a cheap and dirty port.  There's kind of catch 22 there.  Third parties usually use the market leader as the "base" console and then port from there.  However the Rev needs to be the base console in order to be the market leader.  So Nintendo has to get third parties to break the "rule" and give them special treatment for their ports.  That's going to be really hard to do.

Plus the Rev version has to be perceived as better and not just be different.  The Madden games supposedly had exclusive connectivity content on the Cube.  But the PS2 had online play.  It was an "either or" situation and most thought that online play was better.  So the Rev way of playing the game has to be seen as better and not just a different way to play.  But that's important for the Rev's success period because of the controller.  The remote has to be seen as better than the traditional controller or it will just be different and have no real advantage.

Offline Artimus

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2005, 08:50:59 AM »
So basically Ian, what you're saying is that because third parties don't have high standards Nintendo shouldn't be innovative. Did it ever occur to you that the third parties should be following Nintendo not vice-versa? Just because it's not a sure-fire thing doesn't mean Nintendo should just do the wrong thing.

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2005, 09:01:00 AM »
"Yeah, even though Iwata and Miyamoto has said MANY times that they balanced the design of the Rev controller so it will attract new gamers as well as please traditional gamers"

Just because they say it doesn't mean that they WILL.  For the first few years of the Cube's life Nintendo always made vague promises about revealing their online plans too but they never happened.  They've promised to target mature gamers and to improve third party relations as well and in opinion they haven't delivered on those.  I need more proof than Nintendo's say-so.

"And I LOVE how you haven't detailed exactly how Ninty would benefit from following the same ****ing gameplan as Sony and Microsoft...Why? Because you CAN'T, plain and simple..."

I HAVE.  You just don't accept what my arguement is.  I think that Nintendo's greatest problem is that they themselves screw themselves over with all sorts of stupid little mistakes and oversights as well as horrible marketing.  If they stopped handcuffing themselves all the time and allowed themselves to be on even ground with Sony and MS they would do MUCH better.  MS pulled ahead of Nintendo by merely being competent.  They did nothing exceptional, they just didn't screw up as much as Nintendo did.  When Nintendo releases a normal console and seemingly does everything right and still can't get it done then I'd say it's time to try something out of left field.  But they have NEVER put up a decent fight against Sony.  They've always shown up for the fight with their hands tied behind their back.

They're going to compete no matter what bullsh!t they spin up to think that they're not.  It doesn't matter what they do.  The fight's coming to them and running away from it, like they're doing with the Rev, isn't going to save them from it.

How about for once you give me your reason why the Cube is in last place?  What proof is there that the only way for Nintendo to compete is to go off on a tangent aside from Iwata saying so?

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2005, 09:09:32 AM »
Wrong, MS pulled ahead of Nintendo in the US market by blowing through 4 BILLION DOLLARS in as many years