Author Topic: The Official IWATAON Speech Thread  (Read 141090 times)

Offline Dirk Temporo

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
RE:The Official IWATATON Speech Thread
« Reply #425 on: September 15, 2005, 07:11:10 PM »
;_;

I just realized... This awesome controller, and no Rogue Squadron to play with it.
"You've had your dream old man. It's time to wake up!"
-Travis Touchdown

Offline BigJim

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: September 15, 2005, 07:12:20 PM »

Originally posted by: KnowsNothing
It doesn't force anything.

I meant "force" in a positive way.  If a developer thinks about doing nothing more than porting a game to Revolution, they are foolish. They will either adapt to have a unique game in some way, or not port it at all. Hence the question. Do they accept or shun?

Making nice with Nintendo for PR sake is different than real-world action. The games are going to have to sell this controller, for sure. The big name titles, and new titles, need to arrive will bells on. They need to prove that this isn't the ultimate gimmick, and that it makes total and complete sense for gaming going forward.

I'm OPEN to the possibilities.
"wow."

Offline slacker

• View Profile
RE: The Official IWATATON Speech Thread
« Reply #427 on: September 15, 2005, 07:18:19 PM »
I can't give Nintendo enough credit for this controller.  Its innovative and every game on this system is going to play differently.  Even ports with slight changes to accomodate the unique controller will play differently.  I hope the technology is damn close to perfect, cause if its not, Nintendo is screwed.  Perhaps we will see a return of Punch Out, maybe even Duck Hunt.  I'm going crazy thinking of all the we gameplay possibilities.  Now, show me the games!!!

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: September 15, 2005, 07:21:15 PM »
Bring me Wild Gunmen!  Gyromite would kick ass too.  Sports games will be so immersive now...I just can't wrap my head around how great this is going to be.

Controller=BAD ASS
"If a man comes to the door of poetry untouched by the madness of the muses, believing that technique alone will make him a great poet, he and his sane compositions never reach perfection, but are utterly eclipsed by the inspired madman." Socrates

Offline Nile Boogie

• that is why you fail
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: September 15, 2005, 07:21:19 PM »
Nile Boogie is...

0699-9217-4212-6889

Philadelphia Penn, 19130

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: September 15, 2005, 07:21:42 PM »
no ones stopping another  team from making rogue  squadron ..maybe that team can make i t fun...
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: September 15, 2005, 07:23:26 PM »
So ... are the folks at Microsoft crapping their pants right now or are they laughing their ass off?
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Galford

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: September 15, 2005, 07:23:31 PM »
Every controller since the SNES has had at least 6 actions buttons(a,b,x,y,l,r,ect).  
Why is Nintendo going to force me to buy an add-on for 6-button fighters when I haven't had too since 1992???

Still, I can see how this could be the ultimate 3d controller if the software is designed properly.
I want to see things in action, then I will make my final decision.
Wii Code - 8679 5256 1008 2077

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
« Reply #433 on: September 15, 2005, 07:25:16 PM »

Originally posted by: ThePerm
no ones stopping another  team from making rogue  squadron ..maybe that team can make i t fun...

Hey, hey! Just because the third was lacking (fourth if you count the Naboo game... *shudder*) doesn't mean one should discount how cool the second entry was.
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline soracloudtidus

• snes owns and all of you know it
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: September 15, 2005, 07:27:32 PM »
At first I thought what a piece of... but then I started reading more carefuly and saw some posibilities. Those who risk it all win it all, so as a nintendo fanboy I'm still hurt for all the things that has happened in the past and I still am. But things like this makes the lost fanboy inside me scream in joy. I hope that when the games come out the real nintendo fanboy in me comes out too for the sake of me.
Currently Playing: WoW, New Super Mario Bros,Legend of Zelda: Phanton Hourglass

Offline Artimus

• View Profile
« Reply #435 on: September 15, 2005, 07:27:45 PM »
I think this controller is really testing people's comfort zones. It's seperating the sheep from the visionaries, basically.

Offline BigJim

• View Profile
« Reply #436 on: September 15, 2005, 07:29:07 PM »
There's no doubt, this controller SCREAMS "play with me" if even out of curiousity. Is it REALLY as organic and natural as Iwata says?

There's also no doubt that Revolution really will have very unique content. There's no way it can't.

I THINK my main concern is how the controller will retrofit current style games. Yes, many genres will evolve because of these changes. But I'm concerned about controls being "fixed" when they weren't broken. I love the classic control of Mario and Zelda.  Do I *want* to swing a sword, or bop Mario up and down to make him jump?

These are questions without answers.... but they are natural questions that such changes bring up. I do have faith.
"wow."

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: September 15, 2005, 07:30:37 PM »

Every controller since the SNES has had at least 6 actions buttons(a,b,x,y,l,r,ect).
Why is Nintendo going to force me to buy an add-on for 6-button fighters when I haven't had too since 1992???

You have never been able to move your controller left, right, up down and all kinds of directions and direct the action on screen either.  You have never been Link, swinging the master sword.  Until now.
"If a man comes to the door of poetry untouched by the madness of the muses, believing that technique alone will make him a great poet, he and his sane compositions never reach perfection, but are utterly eclipsed by the inspired madman." Socrates

Offline Artimus

• View Profile
« Reply #438 on: September 15, 2005, 07:31:24 PM »
The fact that all the sites who used it are excited says everything.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: September 15, 2005, 07:33:11 PM »
As has been said earlier, this is like a repeat of the DS announcement...Gamers were like "WTF" and devs were all "WOW THIS ROCKS" and we know how the DS ended up...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: September 15, 2005, 07:34:36 PM »
Using Link as an example, I think it's obvious there will be some sort of on screen sensitivity adjusting available whereas you could adjust the controller to swing the sword with just a slight jerking motion in any direction.  Or you could adjust it to require long, swiping stabs, using your arm.  Kind of like mouse sensitivity.   That's what has me excited.  The options are endless.

EDIT: I really wish Nintendo would allow me to market this.  I have so many ideas that will sell this thing...

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: September 15, 2005, 07:35:11 PM »
After much thought and reading of acticles, I have gone through many emotions after first laughing at the pictures. Excited, scared, bored, confident, angry, curious, happy, confused... Now I'm a mix of them all. And let me tell you, having eight emotions at once isn't a good feeling, especially when some of them are sort of contradicting. But I think I'll hold in my opinions on this controller until I get some more info on what games will be using its features.

Offline Dirk Temporo

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: September 15, 2005, 07:36:03 PM »

Originally posted by: soracloudtidus
At first I thought what a piece of... but then I started reading more carefuly and saw some posibilities.

THIS IS THE PROBLEM!

Casual gamers and non-gamers DON'T read into things. They're all going to stay with what your first impression was.
"You've had your dream old man. It's time to wake up!"
-Travis Touchdown

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: September 15, 2005, 07:36:33 PM »
Final thoughts for the night:  INTERESTING.  There's no doubt now that I will buy a Revolution.  The question is, will I buy another system to go with it?

It's going to take a lot of work to get this to play a wide variety of N64 games well.  Backwards compatibility with SNES and NES should be good, though.  Third parties will be forced to give us more interesting games, but that might mean they simply don't give us that many games, or the games they give us are poorly tuned to the Rev controller.

Revolution's success will depend a lot on how well Nintendo shows off the new features in the launch lineup, I hope Nintendo has a good selection of games to show the system off.  I'm really excited about what Nintendo can do with this, and I'm looking forward to playing the new games.
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline MANTI5

• View Profile
« Reply #444 on: September 15, 2005, 07:37:41 PM »
I owned the Power Glove, even if this is a hundred times better it doesn't yet interest me at all. There have been many controllers that have come and gone that do what this one does(not individually) and have ALWAYS been seen as a gimmick and their sales show it. This is the first time an entire system has been based on one though, it may be tough convincing non-nintendo fanboys that it's a good idea.

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: September 15, 2005, 07:37:43 PM »

THIS IS THE PROBLEM!

Casual gamers and non-gamers DON'T read into things. They're all going to stay with what your first impression was.

So you have to show them how to use it, in cool ass THX 1138 type ads (or Minority report!), or have demo units to allow people to actually experiment with it.  Showing is selling.  

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: September 15, 2005, 07:40:24 PM »
"Do I *want* to swing a sword, or bop Mario up and down to make him jump?"

That's the big question.  Personally I don't.  Zelda isn't about sword swinging.  It's about an adventure.  I'm afraid we're going to get too many unnecessary aerobic controls when a simple button push will suffice.

I'm thinking Japanese publishers will love this and American ones will hate it.  EA isn't excited about it.  They just see it as another platform to port to.  They don't care how the port plays, they just want to get the product out there.  American third parties will design games for the PS3 and then do the bare minimum to port it to the Rev.  They are not going to make a special Madden just for the Rev.  They will make an inferior broken Madden because they don't feel like putting in the effort.

Japanese third parties are more creative and tend to release exclusives on different platforms instead of multiplatform releases so they'll be more interested.  Ports are going to SUCK unless they add more buttons.  The Rev is going to live or die on exclusives.

Edit:
"As has been said earlier, this is like a repeat of the DS announcement...Gamers were like "WTF" and devs were all "WOW THIS ROCKS" and we know how the DS ended up..."

The DS didn't break traditional gaming though.  Every Gameboy game ever made is playable on it's control layout.  Cube games won't even play on this.  The DS adds to what was already there.  This removes TONS of stuff.  I can safely say that EVERY Cube game I own is unplayable on this controller without a major retooling.  Even Ikaruga has three buttons and thus wouldn't work without an attachment.

If they just put six buttons on this thing it wouldn't be so bad.  With two buttons this thing is out-of-date.  This could be an improvement but it's not because it removes a bunch of stuff.  So this is just different .  Not better, DIFFERENT.  Therefore it has no advantage over the competition.  The choice for a developer is Nintendo or Sony and MS.  It should be Nintendo OVER Sony and MS.  I'll bet they put more buttons by E3.

Offline Don'tHate742

• View Profile
« Reply #447 on: September 15, 2005, 07:42:34 PM »
Good God...the similarities between my idea and the actual controller don't end.

If you read IGN's article about what the Developers say about the controller, you'll notice a very important detial.

You can use two "remotes" at the same time. You know all those crazy ideas of mine....you know playing a "real" boxing game, or an archery game....ya, it's possible, just like I said A YEAR AGO!

I hate it when I'm right

I'm not sure if FPS's will be as crazy cool as I envisioned due to the lack of a second gyration part of the controller, but then again....couldn't they just make an attachment?

If they were to make an all-in-one attachment, then it should definitely have an analog stick, at least 4 face buttons, 2 triggers, and of course gyration. This all in one attachment would be very similar to the mock-up I drew a long ass time ago.

I think it's a waste of an attachment if all it had was an analog stick and 2 triggers. If anything were to be added, 4 face buttons would be perfect.

Other than that and say adding a rechargeable battery, this controller is absolutely astonishing. They should definitely redesign the controller though, and make it look like you know.....a controller.
"lol in my language that means poo" - Stevey

"WTF is your languange" - Vudu

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: September 15, 2005, 07:42:36 PM »

They will make an inferior broken Madden because they don't feel like putting in the effort.

EA has already stated their sports games would be the first to take advantage of the unique controls.

As for swinging the sword, as I previously stated, I think there will be a sensitivity meter to adjust just how far you have to swing to get the onscreen link to swing his sword.  Anywhere from an inch to the full swing.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: September 15, 2005, 07:42:37 PM »
Jesus Jumping Christ! The Revolution controller is the most amazing peripheral I have ever seen. I don't blame Sony or MS if they copy it, because it's simply amazing. I thought it was going to end up being something stupid, but that has changed 100%. Nintendo is one of the most innovative companies out there. Gaming will never be the same. Great job Nintendo, great job.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA