Author Topic: GAMEPADS ARE REGION LOCKED! Well...  (Read 4108 times)

Offline Nile Boogie Returns

• Tropical Freeze
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
GAMEPADS ARE REGION LOCKED! Well...
« on: March 20, 2014, 12:31:19 PM »
Who's genius idea was this? My kids dropped the GamePad down the steps. While it didn't break, I wanted to grab an extra pad when the inevitable happens (also I think there will be games that support 2 pads announced @ E3). So I called Nintendo and the GamePad is NOT covered under the 12month warranty. Although I feel that's strange in itself being that it's an integral part of the system, I won't argue the point. Then I asked how much to repair a PAD, $95.00 plus tax and shipping. Hell for all that I might as well import a new one from japan. NOPE, I won't be doing that. Seems there is a region specific firmware that must be.....awe who gives a ****. This is just dumb. Games I understand but controllers? Controllers that can't play anything without the system? Why? There are plenty of people here that are smarter than me and can explain this to me. Can you boot the system from a Pro Controller? That may be an option.

For a company that caters to adults and kids alike, they seem a bit oblivious to the family dichotomy of having a controller with a screen.

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
Re: GAMEPADS ARE REGION LOCKED! Well...
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2014, 12:42:30 PM »
Yeah, this came up shortly after launch.
You can boot up the system with the Pro Controller.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2014, 03:10:39 AM »
You can boot up the system with the Pro Controller.
Or wiimote.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2014, 12:23:12 PM »
What's crazy is the repair price is way more than the cost to actually build the Gamepad.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2014, 03:49:58 PM »
I wonder how much they would charge for one if they did sell them separately. $120? 150? Ugh.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

• Tropical Freeze
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2014, 10:12:39 PM »
They go for about a $150 on ebay. This is the 1st time in my gaming life I couldn't buy and extra...well anything. I wish there was another way. I don't wanna scam a big box store or even GameStop(it's easy but its not my way)

Also while technically correct about booting the system via Wimote or Pro Controller, I tested this today and the system is gimped Verbal Kent without a pad.

Ideas?

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2014, 12:25:19 AM »
Wait until they go on sale in the US?

I'm confused - your controller is *not* broken and you want a second one now, just in case?
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

• Tropical Freeze
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2014, 03:10:11 AM »
Five kids ,3 under 5 years old. My Gamepad WILL break. My L3 button it already broken. I want one for me and the wife and one for thew kids to use with corn chip hands and capri sun straws used as a stylus.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2014, 04:45:25 PM »
What kind of damage did it sustain? You didn't say.

It is weird than the GamePad wouldn't be covered under warranty, although it wouldn't cover accidents. The repair price is crazy.

• Tropical Freeze
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2014, 09:04:05 AM »
L3  doesn't work, and now L button is inop. Its the beginning of the end for thos thing my friends. I'm going to try and fix it myself first. just need to order that screw driver.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2014, 10:51:36 AM »
With any luck it is just a few cheerio crumbs or cheeto powder. I make a rule when small children are playing with my game systems that no food is allowed to be consumed as well. But I have the luxury of them not being my own kids. I realize that the dynamic changes when they are living with you.
My Game Collection

• Tropical Freeze
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2014, 01:03:26 PM »
Update: Fixed the L button(melted jolly rancher goo)  and I know how to fix the L3 button. Thankfully, it's not going to cast me more than 10 bucks and 20mins. Did Nintendo put the kibosh on 3rd party GamePads? I realize it's only a niche market for the GamePad for now but I would think MADCATZ or somebody would come up with a alternate form factor or button layout. Maybe the no lag technology thats in this thing is not yet ready to be shared.

Moral of the post: "Only let grubby fingers on systems that are from the previous presidency"

• Tropical Freeze
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2016, 12:02:28 AM »
UPDATE:

Bought a brand new GamePad from a mom and pop games store for $60 USD. I WIN NINTENDO!

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2016, 02:15:14 AM »
I should hunt around for another or buy a second system cheap if I can. I imagine the homebrew scene could lead to a lot of neat things in the future with dual gamepad support.
My Game Collection

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2016, 08:36:52 PM »
Homebrew scene for Wii U probably isn't going to take off since the system is dead now, but luckily Nintendo stopped giving a **** a whole ago and hasn't updated the console, so all Wii U systems are exploitable.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2016, 01:41:58 AM »
I think Nintendo never imagined that kids would play the Wii U. So, the blame is on you, really.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.