Author Topic: Has anyone gone to the Video Games Live concert?  (Read 17493 times)

Offline mantidor

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
RE: Has anyone gone to the Video Games Live concert?
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2006, 09:06:14 AM »
At least you are a lot closer than I am.
"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2006, 12:33:21 PM »
Well, I'm going to go, but I have to decide which night...I also don't relish driving to Edmonton and back in the dead of winter, but I'll give it a go.
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline TheYoungerPlumber

• Thy Rod and Staff
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2006, 03:09:15 PM »
Frankly, I have to stand up for Tommy here.  I can't say I agree with his opinion on a lot of games, but he is an excellent contributor to the video game music community.  I was genuinely impressed with him when I met him at GDC, and the concert was excellent.
::Michael "TYP" Cole
::Associate Editor
Nintendo World Report

"Only CHEATERS mess up!" -Waluigi

Offline Athrun Zala

• Tween Idol
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • TM!
RE:Has anyone gone to the Video Games Live concert?
« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2006, 06:30:23 PM »

Originally posted by: mantidor
At least you are a lot closer than I am.
agreed, but I wouldn't say a 48-hour bus trip is exactly near (especially when BsAs is only 8 by bus.... and no language barrier XD)
Quote from: [b]Professional 666[/b]
JOIN MY ASS

IT'LL BE LOTS OF FUN
Best. Quote. Ever. XD

Offline JonLeung

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2006, 06:09:29 AM »
WOO!  Main floor, centre, row C!  

And I thought the good tickets were all gone.  Though they probably will be soon.

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 16, 2006, 09:14:09 AM »
TYP: I agree that Tommy has done some good things for the industry, both in games themselves, the videogames live events, and even, to a degree, Electric Playground.  My only problem is that, going back to EP for a second, he's one of the many responsible for videogame gurnalism's three-ring circus status.  I still respect his other work though, and I love him for bringing this type of concert to the fans.

Anyway, I've got my tickets. I'm stuck in a terrace, but it's still pretty close to the stage and if I can bring my camera it could be a great spot for pictures.
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline JonLeung

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 28, 2006, 01:34:55 AM »
Who was it that said they live in Calgary?  Was it IceCold or was it someone else?

Anyway, whoever it is, they should be happy to hear that there are now two Calgary tour dates.  At least I recall an email about it.  I'm sure the official site would say.

EDIT: I just looked on the site.  Holy crap, November 2007 for you Calgarians?  Is that a typo?  You may as well come up to Edmonton and see it in January, if any good seats are left.  But then again maybe they'll have added some more cool tunes to it by then.

Offline JonLeung

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2007, 05:51:52 AM »
Four days left!

Well, actually, it's three days remaining, but I'm going to the one on the second day (Tuesday).

I doubt (m)any of you share my excitement, unless it's coming to your city soon.

I was having trouble explaining about this concert to my supervisor, even though she plays Halo with her son and Halo is one of the featured series.  Is the concept of a video game concert really so alien to people, even to casual gamers?  How very very sad.

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2007, 10:09:02 AM »
I wouldn't mind attending a show, but I don't believe the tour is coming anywhere near where I live at this point in time. I think most people aren't familiar with a wide range of video games and feel somewhat out of place listening to music from games they have never played (and/or enjoyed) before. I'm sure most of the users on this forum aren't acquainted with everything that is being played (myself included) and perhaps that is somewhat of a turn off.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline JonLeung

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2007, 10:05:57 AM »
The pre-show festival starts in less than an hour, but I'm meeting my friends for dinner and then we'll head down there.  We don't think we'll need two and a half hours for the pre-show festival.

Getting excited!

I think couchmonkey came up to Edmonton just for this show.  Don't know if he went to last night's show or if he's going to today's...

Offline JonLeung

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2007, 01:54:02 AM »
It was AWESOME.

Okay, maybe some of you guys don't care, at least not until it comes close to your city, but I may write a review.

Unfortunately, they didn't play CastleVania.

My friend Clint got to go up on stage and got the highest score so far in Frogger (the interactive symphony part) in all the shows they've done, and won an autographed program book, a manga volume of Ragnarok, and four Future Shop gift cards worth $100.

I didn't stick around for the meet-and-greet, so unfortunately I didn't end up meeting Tommy Tallarico.

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 24, 2007, 05:00:13 PM »
Glad you enjoyed it - I couldn't make it, but I was definitely interested. I wonder if couchmonkey went.
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline JonLeung

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 09, 2008, 03:41:17 PM »

Originally posted by: Tommy Tallarico
Yo Jon,

We have a meet & greet after every show for everyone.  I'm sure we'll probably have some BioWare folks there as well.  Make sure to say "I'm the guy from the Planet GameCube Forums!".

But I'll expect a full report and review of the show from you right here in this thread the day after the show!

I must've forgotten because I don't think I posted it here.  A year too late, if you hadn't read it, but here it is:
http://www.vgmaps.com/Reviews/Review-Concert-VideoGamesLive.htm

I just found this thread again since I just bought tickets last night to see this again here in Edmonton next month on the Family Day long weekend!

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• My Butt is Ready :reggie;
  • Score: -63
    • View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #38 on: January 09, 2008, 04:02:32 PM »
Do they put out CDs or DVDs for these events?

Offline JonLeung

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 09, 2008, 04:07:35 PM »
I believe there is a "Volume 1" CD coming out later this year...but at the show I just remember them selling other stuff.  A friend of a friend there bought the Halo and Halo 2 soundtracks which were available at the show.

They really should put out DVDs of the show, so we can see segments that may not be shown in our area.  For example, being in Edmonton, we saw the premiere of Jade Empire music last year and I think this year is Mass Effect (BioWare is based in Edmonton).  But we didn't get Castlevania, and the Jubilee Auditorium's stage is small which I'm guessing is why the only live-action stuff (other than the audience member stuff) was some Metal Gear Solid stuff, but it was a LOT simpler than what is seen in one of the trailers.  Though I guess they need some reason for people to come to the show...  :/

Offline JonLeung

• View Profile
Re: Has anyone gone to the Video Games Live concert?
« Reply #40 on: February 16, 2008, 10:11:11 PM »
It's tomorrow, I'm excited!

Though a friend in Montreal described the concert (he saw it last week) as being very similar to Edmonton's was last year.  Hopefully they mix things up a bit more for Edmonton's second time, though of course most of the classics are probably always there.

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #41 on: February 16, 2008, 10:16:25 PM »
Yeah, I've been to two and the majority of the concert is the same, though certain ones can be better when they get special guests. (e.g. Koji Kondo at S.F. last year)
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 17, 2008, 05:57:28 AM »
There was one here in Toronto last week, February 9, but none of my videogame friends wanted to go, and I won't go by myself.

Offline pSYCO-gAMER321

• my giant image signature is still kewl
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 17, 2008, 08:17:22 AM »
I went there back E for All started.
This account is over 5 years old.  o.o
FC(JPN): 2781-3170-5058-4631
FC(USA): 4793-8665-4989-8838
SSBB(JPN) 3351-3351-3953

Offline JonLeung

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 18, 2008, 06:27:20 PM »
Well, I saw it, and it was incredible!  And they did mix it up more than last year, with new segments (like Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix...huh?) and new footage (like Super Mario Galaxy footage edited into the Mario segment).

I'm not going to write as detailed an account of it all like last time (enough of it was similar), but I'll recount the new bits and highlights...

1) Last year, Tommy hid in the cardboard box (used in the Metal Gear Solid segment).  But this year, the guy under the box turned out to be Martin Leung!  Of course you've heard of him, and most people who ever saw Video Games Live has seen and heard him live.  Last year in Edmonton, we got his sister Lee Ann, who is also a really good pianist, but it was cool to see the guy who has the legacy.

2) As a surprise to everyone, before Zelda, Tommy introduced a segment that was "the most requested" ever since Video Games Live began.  He said tonight was its premiere and was a surprise to everyone...because it wasn't Edmonton-based BioWare stuff, I was surprised that they would've chosen here to be the first showing.  But to the deafening roar from everyone (including my brother beside me), the Metroid segment premiered.  It began with the title screen and opening text from the first Metroid game, and then after some footage from of it, went into a montage of all the other games in the series.  I believe they covered every single game (including the handheld ones - unlike the Zelda and Sonic segments - they had some Zero Mission, Prime: Hunters, Fusion, and even a brief glimpse or two of Prime: Pinball.  Least represented was II: Return Of Samus).  Finishing off with all the various in-game images of suitless/Zero Suit Samus in mostly chronological-by-release-date order (except they finished off with Prime, which had the most realistic Samus) and then Fusion's "Mission Accomplished" screen was a nice touch.  No Ridley music in there, but of course Ridley did show up a couple times in the montage.

3) Richard Jacques, who has worked on some Sega games, flew in from England.  Here he played music from OutRun 2 on the piano - the camera was focused on him but the orchestra did join in - and while I haven't played that game, I do have to say that medley was one of the most energetic pieces of music I've ever heard.

4) Mass Effect music was the premiere that everyone was expecting.  While I haven't played it yet (it's yet another one of those Xbox games that will eventually make its way to the PC, I'm sure - I'll catch it then), it was interesting to see that they didn't go for the usual "John Williams space opera" vibe.  As Jack Wall and the technical director on the game mentioned on stage a few times before the segment, they were going for a "Blade Runner/Tangerine Dream/'80s ultra-futuristic soundtrack" or something, and I think they got it.  To mix things up, the second half of it was played and sung by local band The Faunts, who apparently did that song in-game as well.

5) Jack Wall pointed out that it was Tommy's birthday, so he had all of us sing "Happy Birthday" to him - with the orchestra and choir joining in, of course.  That was neat.  Not a huge deal, but obviously that can't happen every show!

6) After Halo 3, they obviously came back for an encore.  It was FF VII's One-Winged Angel (again).  But then there was a second encore.  They said they just learned it recently, and it was what me and a friend wanted to see, the Castlevania segment!  I thought they played it before - pretty sure actually - just not here in Edmonton.  Maybe when they said they "learned it a few days ago" it meant with Martin Leung on the piano and Tommy on the guitar as well.  Love that Castlevania music!

I still didn't wait around long enough to meet Tommy Tallarico.  (My friend volunteered to help with the costume contest, so he did.)

Awesome night.  Now I'm sure I'll go again each year if they can keep adding new stuff and have some surprises.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2008, 09:17:33 PM by JonLeung »

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 18, 2008, 06:44:25 PM »
Just listening to Metroid and Castlevania music is worth going to VGL.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 28, 2008, 10:02:33 PM »
On this past June 21 I attended the free (sponsored by Futureshop) Video Games Live concert here in Toronto, downtown at Dundas Square. It was awesome. I loved the music played from Metroid, Castlevania, God of War, Myst, Dragon's Lair, Donkey Kong, Space Invaders, etc.

Upon re-reading JonLeung's last post, I come to the conclusion that either Tommy Tallarico is a liar and did it on purpose what he said, or it was a mishap from his part. As JonLeung posted, "Tommy introduced a segment that was "the most requested" ever since Video Games Live began.  He said tonight was its premiere and was a surprise to everyone... I was surprised that they would've chosen here to be the first showing.  But to the deafening roar from everyone (including my brother beside me), the Metroid segment premiered."
Well, he told us that it was the worldwide premier for Metroid being played in Toronto.

Ah well. I had fun.

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #47 on: July 07, 2008, 03:33:34 PM »
http://Http://gonintendo.com/?p=48654
It seems that they are going to release a Cd in the states.They are going to let Uk download it starting today.While on July 24 they will release it in the States to coincide with VGL playing in San Diego. While Lezpeg, Germany will have a event on August 20th. Then the CD will hit in the UK and the rest of the world.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #48 on: September 11, 2008, 05:47:55 PM »

Northeast Presale Event

We are proud to announce that Video Games Live will be putting on a number of shows around your area over the next couple of months including the first ever game concerts in Massachusetts, Vermont, New Jersey and Long Island, NY! We’re also putting together possible dates for Philadelphia & Pittsburg, PA.

Special VGL Mailing List Pre-Sale tickets for our Boston, Massachusetts show at the Wang Theatre just went on sale and can be purchased using the following link: https://www.broadwayoffers.com/verify.aspx?promoCode=VGLFANCLUB

The special code to get tickets is: VGLFANCLUB

The Boston, MA show is going to be a special one and we intend on having some very special guests in attendance. Please feel free to pass along or post the link and special code.

Here is a listing of all our current shows taking place in the Northeast.

Thank-you so much for your continued support! We hope to see you at one of our performances real soon!

BROOKVILLE, NY
    September 20, 2008 - 8PM
    Tilles Center for the Performing Arts
    Concert Pops of Long Island
    ON SALE NOW!

BOSTON, MA
    November 21, 2008 - 8PM
    Wang Theatre - Citi Performing Arts Center
    PRE-SALE TICKETS NOW AVAILABLE!
    (special code: VGLFANCLUB)

NEWARK, NJ
    December 27, 2008 - (2 shows!) 2PM & 8PM
    New Jersey Perfoming Arts Center (NJPAC)
    New Jersey Symphony Orchestra
    ON SALE NOW!

BURLINGTON, VT
    January 17, 2009 - 8PM
    Flynn Center Performing Arts
    Vermont Youth Orchestra
    ON SALE NOW!
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline JonLeung

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 28, 2008, 07:31:30 PM »
I haven't heard of VGL coming a third time to Edmonton - at least not in the dead of winter as might be expected as they had this year and last - but PLAY!: A Video Game Symphony is.

Which of the two is better?  They look to be about the same in format...though VGL was the first (I THINK, correct me if I'm wrong) and has Tommy...