Author Topic: Nintendo to Wiiify Gamecube games?  (Read 13325 times)

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
RE:Nintendo to Wiiify Gamecube games?
« Reply #50 on: August 21, 2006, 08:04:55 PM »
Frankly, I see a better benefit out of this. If Nintendo can do this and add Wii functionality to old gamecube games, they should use it for their own research and development.

Think about. They could add wii functionality to Mario Kart Double Dash. Then, they could test out the game and see what types of tracks work and what don't. They can then fiddle with ways to control. All of this research can then go into the next Mario Kart built specifically for Wii and will mean they can make a Mario Kart game that is absolutly perfect for the Wii.

Frankly, that's what they should be doing. Putting Wii in existing games and testing to know what's going to work for the future, thereby saving time of having to create whole new games from scratch and tinkering and experimenting with controls while many parts of the game or vision are missing or incomplete.

As for selling the old games with new controls, I'm not for it. I have not bought the Game Boy Advance ports of old Nes and Snes games. I just don't the need. I own all these games and there's been talk of being able to load old Nes and Snes games to a person's DS besides just being available on the virtual console. So, I'd rather wait and see. The same is with the Gamecube games. Some of these games I've put long hours into, like Rogue Squadron, F-Zero and Mario Kart. Wii functionality would be nice, but after having played the game for so long before, I'm not going to play it that much. I want something new.

If you want budget titles, that's what you can use the old gamecube games for. The system is backwards compatible. I've never owned a Gameboy Advance. But I have 5 GBA games now. That's because I bought a DS and thanks to Backwards functionality, I bought some games that I was interested in but never enough to buy a Gameboy Advance. I think the same thing could hgappen wioth Gamecube games. If a lot of people didn't own a Gamecube but were interested in some old Gamecube titles, chances are, if they buy a Wii, they'll take advantage of the backwards functionality.

If they do add Wii functionality to old games then I suggest one of the following:
a) They sell games in a compliation, like 4 or 5 games on one disc
b) they package the game with it's new original Wii counterpart, thereby giving extra value to the purchase.
c) they use it as a promotional item

Frankly, the best choice to me is b. It also has the added benefit of keeping people from ruining the joy and pleasure of experiencing the new control scheme in a game. If I played Mario Kart Double Dash with the Wii controls, what would be the thrill in playing the actual Wii Mario Kart? Sure, there'd be new courses and characters and most likely internet play. But playing it with the remote will have already been experienced.

This is why games like Mario 64 and Zelda: OoT were big. Games like Banjo-Kazooie, Donkey Kong 64, StarFox 64, Mario Kart 64 and Mario Golf were big. It was the first time these characters were in 3-D and their universes could be explored in 3-d. You were able to control them in these worlds with the analog stick for the first time. And it was a new gameplay you were experiencing for the first time. Metroid Prime was bigger than Metroid Prime 2. Why? First time experiencing Metroid in 3D. While there are other factors that can be argued, the truth is, the first time you play something with a new control scheme, it leaves a much larger impression than playing a second game with the same scheme.

That's my warning.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 22, 2006, 12:44:19 AM »

Originally posted by: UncleBob
A dedicated team of trainees even.
Gotta put all those newly graduated DigiPen students to good use and also get them some real.world.experience.

Offline WalkingTheCow

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE: Nintendo to Wiiify Gamecube games?
« Reply #52 on: August 22, 2006, 01:31:30 AM »
Essentially I believe this would be one of those moves that is great for some players, not for others.

Namely, those of us who have played all the gamecube greats will have a lot less reason to be excited about these "wiimakes". But for convertees it WOULD just be a nice incentive to play some great older games with neat new controls.

I hope they do it, and I also hope they don't do much of it. They should do it for the games that will benefit the most and not get out of hand. And I do agree that this is the sort of thing that you create a new team to do. This should absolutely not take away from the development of brand new games.

Otherwise. . . eh.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 22, 2006, 04:32:48 AM »
Khush: Option b nullifies your research argument.

Cubetoon Editorial it's sort of relevant
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #54 on: August 22, 2006, 04:45:30 AM »
I don't understand the hate for this idea.

There are some games that really don't need vast upgrades each generation to be a new game.  (Sports Games, Racing Games, ect.) And there are some games that are so classic that playing them over and over again is just great.  So if you can get a game you love in a package with new controls for a budgeted price why not?  If you don't want the game don't buy it.

Personally, I would love Nintendo to do this.  Double Dash was a sweet game, and to be able to play the game with Wii Controls, and perhaps 2 new tracks or characters would be sweet.

A small development team or 2 could be designed to the ports, and at the end of the day we have a fantastic new experience to play, and Nintendo gets to focus on new games as well.

Remember Nintendo isn't just focused on a gaming revolution with how we play, but also working on actively reducing the cost of games for everyone, we should actually be thankful.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 22, 2006, 04:53:12 AM »
Double Dash it would be really cool if the designed the Tracks from Mario Kart DS full resolution and then scaled them down.  That way you could just move those over and have all those tracks plus throw in Mission mode and more multiplayer battle style tracks.  Also internet done the same way as MK DS.  Though I thought there wasn't enough unlockables in either game.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline SixthAngel

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 22, 2006, 05:29:45 AM »
I don't really like this idea.  Regardless only a few of the most popular games would probably ever get this treatment.  I see the new versions being bonuses like the zelda collectors pack or released on a small scale.

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 22, 2006, 06:16:04 AM »

Originally posted by: Spak-Spang
Personally, I would love Nintendo to do this.  Double Dash was a sweet game, and to be able to play the game with Wii Controls, and perhaps 2 new tracks or characters would be sweet.

That's one of the things I don't want to see.  Double Dash broke a lot of what I liked most about the Mario Kart series.  I'd greatly prefer a new Mario Kart game, and I know enough about how Nintendo works to suspect that they would not release a new Mario Kart until a couple of years after they release the Double Dash Wii-make.

On the other hand, some of their non-franchise games would be well suited to the treatment.  Chibi Robo, for example, might be a fun experience if you actually did the scrubbing and digging motions.  Plus, the controls were kind of imprecise to begin with, so it would be hard to mess them up.  Luigi's Mansion might also work well, but for any game that might have a sequel on the Wii, what would be the point?

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 22, 2006, 06:57:23 AM »

Originally posted by: Ceric
Double Dash it would be really cool if the designed the Tracks from Mario Kart DS full resolution and then scaled them down.  That way you could just move those over and have all those tracks plus throw in Mission mode and more multiplayer battle style tracks.  Also internet done the same way as MK DS.  Though I thought there wasn't enough unlockables in either game.

LOL, that's a whole new game as far as Mario Kart goes. Just wait for Mario Kart Wii (which I hope turns out awesome)

They added about that much to Super Mario 64 DS and that was released as a new full priced game.

All I think they'd add to games are new controls and WiiFi functions. Actual full remakes would actually require a lot of effort. Too much effort to make doing this to more than a few games feasable. Mario Kart Double Dash would be awesome online because snaking isn't a huge an issue in it as it is in MKDS so it wouldn't be as broken. It's my favourite Mario Kart and i'd play it a lot more with this simple added feature.

Offline Athrun Zala

• Tween Idol
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • TM!
« Reply #59 on: August 22, 2006, 07:39:27 AM »
I don't see what's the hatred about.....maybe it's because I don't own many games......or maybe because the VAST MAJORITY OF THE WORLD hasn't played those games anyways.....

remember kids, this time Nintendo is trying to cater those who HAVE NOT played those games yet....
Quote from: [b]Professional 666[/b]
JOIN MY ASS

IT'LL BE LOTS OF FUN
Best. Quote. Ever. XD

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #60 on: August 22, 2006, 07:47:33 AM »
Double Dash !!

<3 Daisy !!
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 22, 2006, 08:54:21 AM »
There's a lot of talk about how this is good for all the people who didn't own a Cube like non-gamers and people switching over and such.  That arguement makes me hate the idea even more because it now falls into the BIG issue regarding the whole non-gamer strategy: Nintendo focusing too much on new buyers at the expense of their existing fans.  F*ck it!  This console is backwards compatible and has the VC.  If you want to play an older game then get off your ass and seek it out and let the rest of us get NEW CONTENT.  "Well some people haven't played it yet" isn't a valid arguement to me because there's nothing stopping them from doing so.

And you pro-wiimake people are being incredibly naive.  You KNOW Nintendo will exploit this if it takes off!  GBA ports?  Numerous Pokemon rehashes?  Like almost any company Nintendo will gladly resell you old product if they think they can.  If this takes off we will have six month gaps where nothing but rehashed content is released.  This is the game equivalent of double-dipping DVDs.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 22, 2006, 08:56:05 AM »
See guys, even Ian hates this idea.

It just goes to show you what an excellent idea it is!
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 22, 2006, 09:05:14 AM »

Originally posted by: Ian Sane
There's a lot of talk about how this is good for all the people who didn't own a Cube like non-gamers and people switching over and such.  That arguement makes me hate the idea even more because it now falls into the BIG issue regarding the whole non-gamer strategy: Nintendo focusing too much on new buyers at the expense of their existing fans.  F*ck it!  This console is backwards compatible and has the VC.  If you want to play an older game then get off your ass and seek it out and let the rest of us get NEW CONTENT.  "Well some people haven't played it yet" isn't a valid arguement to me because there's nothing stopping them from doing so.

And you pro-wiimake people are being incredibly naive.  You KNOW Nintendo will exploit this if it takes off!  GBA ports?  Numerous Pokemon rehashes?  Like almost any company Nintendo will gladly resell you old product if they think they can.  If this takes off we will have six month gaps where nothing but rehashed content is released.  This is the game equivalent of double-dipping DVDs.
You have no indication that these "wiimakes" will take away from NEW game developments, like I mentioned earlier maybe they will probably farm these "wiimakes" out to beginner studios like DigiPen campuses that Nintendo sponsors or maybe new studios made up of newly graduated DigiPen students(something relatively low-cost).

And in order for Nintendo to resell me rehashes of old content I have to first be willing to rebuy that content, and since I haven't done it yet, I really don't see how it will affect me then. If you don't want it don't buy it, its obviously not intended for you so leave it alone. As long as Nintendo keeps their concentration on support through NEW games and 3rd parties do the same then I don't see what the problem is.

Also like someone else mentioned earlier, there are still a few games that I haven't bought yet and I'm waiting for the price drop to happen. If they "wiimake" these games with little improvements and release them at the budget price I was waiting for, then I feel like the winner in this situation, cause not only did I finally get the game I was waiting for at the price I was waiting for, but I likely got a superior version of it too.

Offline JonLeung

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 22, 2006, 09:16:52 AM »
Nintendo has done remakes before.  Multiple times and often.

People have been willing to buy Nintendo's remakes.

This has never really been a huge problem for Nintendo's ability to make new games.  (Some of you have mentioned more than once that Metroid Fusion was the only first-party non-remake GBA game for all of 2002, but that didn't bomb the GBA, at all.)

And now people are complaining that Nintendo has explicitly stated that they may do what they've always done?

Seriously.

And come on...there are Wii controls mixed in now too.  With the same GameCube architecture it's much easier (I imagine) that it could take less resources than a remake/port might take otherwise.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 22, 2006, 09:27:55 AM »
Yeah_we_are_mindless_zombies_and_we_don't_know_what_to_buy_so_we_will_buy_anything_Nintendo_releases@sarcasm.com

lol

hmmm, where are those relax pills that i usually have to give to patient 91FK1F5?! damn don't tell me he's gone smile again, heck i'll just use k3 to put him back in place.

Offline Garnee

• Zig.
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 22, 2006, 10:07:40 AM »
You guys have no idea how much I wanna play Luigi's Mansion on the Wii.
Yeah, I do play mafia games.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 22, 2006, 10:18:13 AM »
"As long as Nintendo keeps their concentration on support through NEW games and 3rd parties do the same then I don't see what the problem is."

In that case there is no problem but history shows that won't happen.

"Some of you have mentioned more than once that Metroid Fusion was the only first-party non-remake GBA game for all of 2002, but that didn't bomb the GBA, at all."

No it didn't bomb the GBA but that's not the point.  The point is that for almost a year my GBA was a fancy paperweight because Nintendo was content to resell SNES games instead.  Much like the whole marketshare debate the issue is how it affects the userbase.  There is a likely scenario that a lot of us will be stuck waiting for months for new first party games to show up.  Yeah if Nintendo also makes a sufficient amount of new stuff it's all fine but I don't see how anyone can trust Nintendo to do so.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 22, 2006, 02:01:21 PM »
There's no need to make a leap of faith over the issue of whether Nintendo will focus on new games or rehashes. With MP3, Mario Galaxy, and SSBB alone spread from now until Holiday 2007 are the milestone games Nintendo doesn't look to be going down the "re-release" route. Throw in bunches of other Nintendo-published projects like new IPs, an anticipated Wii Sports/Music etc. line, non-games, new virtual console games, etc. and Nintendo seems to be on firm ground where releasing new content is concerned.

The REAL question is, as ever, how third-parties will hold up their "newness" enthusiasm.

Hopefully Red Steel, Rayman, Heroes, Trauma Center, and Sonic: The Secret Rings are the rule rather than the exception, followed to a lesser extent by inclusive all-platform but Wii-enabled ports like Madden, C.O.D. 3, and NFS:Carbon.

Same situation with the DS. Nintendo, in the end, is delivering, and we're just wondering how long it'll take the majority of third parties to follow suit.

~Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 22, 2006, 03:41:42 PM »
I actually think that with the testing and tweaking involved with Brining the Wii controller to an old GCN game that it would be tempered.  I'm sure Nintendo will not let people just rerelease games with a little new content and only WiiClassic support.  They probably go just rerelease the Cube version.  I also would be more against this if it wasn't so hard to find good copies of many different Gamecube games.  Think if I had more competition to find them?  I joined Gamefly just because the had a lot of games I couldn't find or were to much to warrent a buy without a try.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 23, 2006, 05:30:16 AM »
In my mind, Super Mario Strikers and Battalion Wars were the two MAJOR candidates for Wiimakes. But now that these two games are getting outright sequels instead, is Miyamoto just speculating, have we misunderstood him? What possible GC games could Nintendo want to Wiimake for the Wii now?

Or were Miyamoto's "Wiimakes" meant to refer to the now announced Super Mario Strikers Charged and BWii, games that are probably benefitting heavily from the GC-Wii development ease and are probably not attempting to push any boundaries graphically, such that they might even be re-using or simply re-vamping old assets and models?

~Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 23, 2006, 05:37:32 AM »
The second one.  I think you hit it on the nose.