Author Topic: Mirror's Edge  (Read 19347 times)

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
Re: Mirror's Edge
« Reply #50 on: November 10, 2008, 02:06:59 PM »
6 hours seems to be the standard length for hyped up FP"S" games, especially in the "HD generation".

But many of those games get their value proposition via online multiplayer.

I wish I could hate you to death.

I've just got to link everyone to this.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2008, 02:08:44 PM by vudu »
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 10, 2008, 02:23:06 PM »
If it's a REALLY GOOD six hours, I could care less.  Many games these days are like rap albums that have 21 tracks when they should have 10...a whole bunch of filler garbage to give buyers the false sense that they're somehow getting value.  A game that has 20 levels with only 10 good ones is just annoying.

Lindy is right (Oh noes I said it again), if this game is a solid, fast paced 6 hrs with great gameplay design I will not complain. It is like the Call of Duty series, traditionally their campaigns are only 5-8hrs and yet they are so jam packed they have lots of value.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 10, 2008, 08:47:40 PM »
Call of Duty 4 had a pretty good single-player in my opinion.  I didn't expect much, but it was actually well put-together for a game that's so focused on the multiplayer experience.  I was honestly expecting Unreal Tournament-level single player, which they only put in the games because they feel like they have to in order to justify their price tag.  And it also took me about 12 hours I think...6 hours is a huge exaggeration.

Halo 3's multiplayer was fine, but whatever.  I pretty much gritted my teeth through it because I find the characters and storyline of Halo completely unbearable.
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 10, 2008, 09:21:59 PM »
6 hours is a huge exaggeration.

You must have played a different game because ALL of the CoD games take about that long including CoD4 which I beat in one sitting almost.

Offline blackfootsteps

• Recovering GoldenPhoenix fan.
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 11, 2008, 02:05:19 AM »
6 hours is a huge exaggeration.

You must have played a different game because ALL of the CoD games take about that long including CoD4 which I beat in one sitting almost.

On what difficulty can I ask? I have only played one level in CoD4 The helicopter evac from the fairgrounds but on veteran it took me ages. I'm still working on CoD2 on veteran.
“I waited all day. you waited all day.. but you left before sunset.. and I just wanted to tell you the moment was beautiful. Just wanted to dance to bad music drive bad cars.. watch bad TV.. should have stayed for the sunset...if not for me.â€

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 11, 2008, 05:40:49 PM »
Most of those games I play on Normal.  I'll go back and check exactly how long CoD4 took me, but it wasn't 6 hours, that's for sure.
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline Smakian

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
    • Twitter Feed
« Reply #56 on: November 11, 2008, 06:56:45 PM »
My only disappointment so far is that the demo didn't have the hidden bags that it had when I played it at PAX. But I'm definitely excited to go in tomorrow, trade in my bastard copy of Fable 2, and pick this up along with my pre-order bag. Some of my favorite gaming moments are when I get in the groove, if you'll forgive the expression, and pull off some fancy maneuvers flawlessly. This whole game seems designed to channel that feeling. My one concern is that there will inevitably be portions where I'll fall and break the illusion of my own badassness. But we'll just pretend those didn't happen.
Everyone is entitled to their own opinions. Mine are just the correct ones.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 11, 2008, 07:01:20 PM »
along with my pre-order bag.

Good luck with that. It's first come, first serve. That's what my local EB clerk (I think he's the manager) said, and it says on the EBGames site "while supplies last".

I got my runner's bag on Saturday.

Offline Smakian

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
    • Twitter Feed
« Reply #58 on: November 11, 2008, 07:40:06 PM »
The store here, when I reserved I was told that they wouldn't have the bags until the game comes out tomorrow. So hopefully there's one set aside for me as part of my preorder.
Everyone is entitled to their own opinions. Mine are just the correct ones.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 11, 2008, 07:51:24 PM »
I better get my yellow bag or I will be really sad.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: November 12, 2008, 01:40:54 AM »
The bags a nice bonus but it suuuuure is ugly.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 12, 2008, 02:01:24 AM »

You are stoopid.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 12, 2008, 02:29:20 AM »
Don't hate ;)

I know they'll match your banana shoes perfectly, but some of us would rather, you know....not look like a cartoon character.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 12, 2008, 09:41:32 AM »

You are stoopid.
I better get my yellow bag or I will be really sad.

From what I heard the bags are first come, first serve so if you can pick up your preorder as soon as you can.
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline Ymeegod

• Score: -16
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 19, 2008, 12:04:17 PM »
Just finished the game and loved alot of it (great rental but not really a mustbuy since the replay is limited). 

Alot of questions go unanswered and there's alot of plot holes but the overall idea was great IMHO. 

It does feel a bit short and rushed towards the end and the overall production (the anime cutscenes for example) was poor--wish the developer/more like publisher didn't push the game out the door==a bit more polish and this would have been GREAT.

Oh well, hopefully a sequel will be in the works.

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #65 on: January 23, 2009, 08:16:34 PM »
Bumping this thread because it's starting to look like I can't finish the damn game...

http://forums.ea.com/mboards/thread.jspa?threadID=483899&tstart=0

So I get almost to the end and it freezes in the same spot every time?  Three times in a row?  What the hell.  This is the first time something like this has happened to me when playing a console game.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #66 on: January 23, 2009, 09:05:23 PM »
Welcome to western gaming?
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 24, 2009, 04:40:25 AM »
What the hell.  This is the first time something like this has happened to me when playing a console game.

EA: Challenge Everything

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #68 on: January 24, 2009, 12:58:09 PM »
Just finished it.  Neogaf users helped me figure out the freezing issue.  Had to erase the install data for the game and then let the game reinstall itself.

Game was quite fun, though it had some extremely frustrating parts. I wish it didn't make me so pukey.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 03, 2009, 02:55:05 AM »
Mirror Bump!

This game was next on my list downloaded 360 demos.

- The camera work in the game is very good. I want every FPS game to feel like this now.
- The artistic styling of the game is also impressive. It's nice to see a game have realistic graphics but still give a unique look and feel to the worl.
- The actual game play... not as great. Trial and error frantic timed button presses makes this feel like a fighting game where you can't see what's going on. I kept thinking throughout the game how much more I would enjoy the first person view and the stark white world if they let me stop and look around.

I hope the next Mirror's Edge is an adventure game.

Offline NovaQ

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
    • dudeldopp
« Reply #70 on: February 03, 2009, 07:54:06 AM »
^

Hey, long-time reader of the site (since the early GC days) and less-of-a-long-time-but-still-a-while-now lurker (since the opening of the Smash Bros. Dojo for Brawl). This question just came to me after reading your post:

Do you think that, hypothetically, the jumping (namely wall jumping) mechanics of Mirror's Edge could be implemented into the Metroid Prime games? I never liked that wall jumping in that series was limited to a few special, clearly marked areas. It felt like Retro was just semi-unnaturally forcing a favorite ability from the older games into the newer ones. Wall jumping never felt nearly as organic as it did in the older titles.

That kind of jumping could, as Retro surely discovered in their developments, be tricky for the player. But what if the mechanics were set up a little differently than the regular jumping? To do a wall jump, you would have to approach the wall at a particular angle or range of angles, place yourself very close to the wall and, instead of jumping as soon as you hit the jump button, released the button to trigger the wall jump. As soon as you pressed and held the jump button while against a wall at the correct angle, your perspective would suddenly shift to the direction you'd jump toward upon releasing the button (kind of like what you manually have to do in Mirror's Edge with an additional button). Maybe while holding the button, you could adjust slightly where you'll jump with the Wiimote pointer. And, once you released, you jumped.

Having the wall jumping based off of button release rather than button press would give you a little extra delay-time to get your bearings, and it would allow you to "cancel" any accidental wall jumps (say, if you wanted to simply do a second jump near a wall, but accidentally got too close to the wall). Adding the mechanic would likely make the Prime games a little less accessible, but I think it would help bring back some of the most fun aspects of the 2D Metroids.

So, what does anyone think? Complete crap idea, or something that Retro will hopefully work on when they inevitably begin work on another 3D Metroid game?

(Maybe I should take this post to a Metroid thread...)
« Last Edit: February 03, 2009, 07:56:24 AM by NovaQ »
I like to do drawings.
Blaarg
Wii: 7332 2646 9948 9927

Hello new job, goodbye life...

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 03, 2009, 11:39:33 AM »
I suppose it would work, not something I think I would want though.

The jumping in Mirror's Edge and the Metroid Primes feels different. Mirror's Edge feels very organic and less like a video game jump button. Prime feels more mechanical (and easier), which makes sense because of the suit.

Offline NovaQ

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
    • dudeldopp
« Reply #72 on: February 03, 2009, 05:55:12 PM »
You're right about the differences, as Mirror's Edge feels more about working your momentum and finding the best route at the same time. Implementing too much of that feel would probably take away from the exploration aspect of the Metroid games.

Still though, backtracking through areas in the 2D Metroid games with nimble jumps and maneuvers is something I missed somewhat in the Prime series. But maybe it's just something that will have to stay in the 2D games.
I like to do drawings.
Blaarg
Wii: 7332 2646 9948 9927

Hello new job, goodbye life...

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #73 on: February 13, 2009, 02:28:56 AM »
I'm renting Mirror's Edge and have gotten to the second chapter so far.  This is easily one of the most frustrating games I have ever played.  I was really in love with the game until I actually played it.  The controls are a mess -- way too picky about the timing of button presses and facing exactly the right direction.  I had to replay one section at least twenty times, and that's quite early in the game!  (It's the part where you climb down into a storm drain.)
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
  • Score: 52
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 13, 2009, 08:32:12 AM »
I played this at a mate's house the other week. I loved the first level, I like the second level and hated the rest. They really dropped the ball on this one.
Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).