Author Topic: Give me Mario Kart or give me death  (Read 141256 times)

Offline Bartman3010

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Mario Kart Discussion (TALK ABOUT MARIO KART HERE)
« Reply #375 on: June 17, 2003, 02:38:02 AM »
Could this have all the N64 levels in it like Super Circut had all the SNES levels?

That would be very very cool....
- Bartman

Mario Kart DS - 111728-668174
Metroid Prime Hunters - 3866-1460-2555
Tetris DS - 105680-429364

(Send PM if interested, you probably arent)
Better yet, check out #mariokartds on Esper.net, featuring the FriendCodeBot!

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: June 17, 2003, 06:54:24 AM »
Or maybe a select few, like in SSBM.  Though perhaps a better track selection; Saffron City was always a much cooler level than that Kirby one.

Does anyone know if you have to have two copies of the game to do LAN?  I imagine you only need one, but I have no idea, so that's just a wild guess.  I have a friend that has a cube, but I'm not sure if he's buying Double Dash or not.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline DRJ

• View Profile
« Reply #377 on: June 17, 2003, 09:45:53 AM »
I would really like to see the include the old N64 tracks, or at least Sky Scraper and Block Fort. Thoe two were my favorites.

You will need two copies of the game to play on two cubes   You could network 8 cubes together but you would also need 8 games. Sounds like a way to steal more of my money (Stupid Nintendo... stop making such good products, you are bankrupting me) but I guess one cube is not powerful enough to run the game over a Lan.
Ralph: Hi, Principal Skinner! Hi, Super Nintendo Chalmers!

Offline Shorty McNostril

• Blue text is gone :(
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
RE: Mario Kart Discussion (TALK ABOUT MARIO KART HERE)
« Reply #378 on: June 18, 2003, 06:50:48 PM »
I dont know if you've already said this but maybe you can choose both driversas well as a particular model of kart from a list or something.

Offline DRJ

• View Profile
« Reply #379 on: June 18, 2003, 07:38:05 PM »
You get to select both characters, but all players get to choose at the same time (like in Mario Kart 64) so you would have to be fast to get both characters you want if other players want it too.

You get to select any kart you want to, so mario and yoshi could team up and use wario's kart. etc.

Handling will be based on the driver, not the kart.

Offline Boffo

• View Profile
« Reply #380 on: June 20, 2003, 01:21:57 AM »
Actually, handling IS dependent on the kart, not the drivers.  And it's the special weapons that depend on the drivers.

Offline DRJ

• View Profile
« Reply #381 on: June 20, 2003, 08:27:58 AM »
It has already been stated that handling is determined by the driver. This way there is some strategy to switching drivers. Some will be better at turns etc.

Special weapons are also determined by the character.

Offline Boffo

• View Profile
« Reply #382 on: June 20, 2003, 01:49:32 PM »
No, you are wrong.

"In the past, rider characteristics were determined by whichever Nintendo character was selected, but in Double Dash!! you'll pick two characters and a kart, so what determines things like handling, weight, and max speed? According to Nintendo, that's now tied strictly to the kart selected, not the characters."

http://cube.ign.com/articles/402/402170p2.html

Offline DRJ

• View Profile
« Reply #383 on: June 21, 2003, 11:28:32 AM »
I stand corrected. Thanks for the link.

I think I will like it better this way. Since you can be your favorite character no matter what, and just pick the kart depending on how you would like it to handle.

Offline Don'tHate742

• View Profile
« Reply #384 on: June 24, 2003, 09:02:27 AM »
naw that's no fun, I always like rushing for the better handlers in the game (yoshi, toad, etc). Also, I was liking the idea of swiching characters if the road gets too tricky, so you put your best driver forward or if you get hit and come to a complete stop then you put your best accelerator forward. That would add a fair amount of strategy...
"lol in my language that means poo" - Stevey

"WTF is your languange" - Vudu

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: June 25, 2003, 09:43:58 AM »
I prefer the kart idea, because for one, it makes more sense, and second because you can pick so much stuff!!!  WHOO!!  Two people and a kart, how good can it get?!?!?!?
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline Lecter

• View Profile
« Reply #386 on: July 03, 2003, 05:07:43 PM »
Anyone else not like the two people to a kart idea? I'm definetly getting this game, but I wanted a more Mario Kart 64 feel. Just one guy to a cart, with updated graphics and tons of unlockable courses and new characters. One thing about the Mario Kart series, is there are never many unlockables. Its easy to beat the game in a day (as with the SNES version and Mario Kart Advance) just hope this game has tons to do. Graphics look great though.
Currently Playing: Devil May Cry, Red Faction 2, GTA 3, Animal Crossing.

Currently Reading: Hannibal, Dreamcatcher.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: July 05, 2003, 05:58:08 AM »
You thought Mario Kart for the SNES was easy? Maybe it was harder for me because I was alot younger back then, but during that special cup the other drivers were impossible.  I hope DD will be just as hard as the SNES game if not harder. And I love the 2 character per kart idea.  
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline DRJ

• View Profile
« Reply #388 on: July 07, 2003, 05:50:14 AM »
I like the two character per kart idea. It will allow for more strategy. Lets say you have one character with a lightning bold and then let him drive so you can still collect weapons with your second character. Then at just the right second you switch characters on the fly and use the bolt to take everyone out.

Plus I also like the unique weapons for each character idea. Hopefully the weapons are all pretty sweet.

There definately need to be unlockable characters and courses.  There need to be al least 10 more characters to make sure that everyone can get someone that they like. And I also want the Block Fort and Skyscraper to be either playable battle arenas or unlockable ones.

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: July 07, 2003, 08:25:10 AM »
I like the two character deal.  10 unlockable character is a lot, so don't give your hopes up, but I imagine that there may be a few.

So far, the courses also look awesome.  Seems you can get shot up by those weird duck things on Gelano Beach or whatever, among other things.  The courses look very cool indeed. . .  

Offline DRJ

• View Profile
« Reply #390 on: July 07, 2003, 09:41:47 AM »

10 unlockable character is a lot

If they have Toad I'll be happy, everything else would just be icing.

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: July 08, 2003, 03:37:04 AM »
Yeah, Toad'd be cool.

It'd be great to have 10 unlockables, but it's extremely unlikely.

Offline Mr.Tipper

• View Profile
« Reply #392 on: July 08, 2003, 10:59:40 AM »
I just know that this game is gonna be fun as hell, and about the extras, I hope that Link and Samus couls sneak in to the game.
The name is Tipper, Harry Tipper

The light is my strength
I was a fool for trust in the light

Offline SuperLink666

• View Profile
« Reply #393 on: July 08, 2003, 02:25:28 PM »
^Won't happen want to know why?

It's called MARIO KART
www.warppipe.com
GameCube games - Playable online!

Offline Mr.Tipper

• View Profile
« Reply #394 on: July 08, 2003, 06:00:02 PM »
I know that! SuperLink666.
The name is Tipper, Harry Tipper

The light is my strength
I was a fool for trust in the light

Offline Boffo

• View Profile
« Reply #395 on: July 08, 2003, 10:46:43 PM »
Nintendo to make MKDD faster.

"Although the Mario Kart: DD demo was the same one shown at E3, Nintendo has confirmed that they are indeed working on a power-slide and a speedier engine. "

http://www.ultimategamez.com/extras/specials/NintendoGamerSummit03Recap.shtml  

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: July 09, 2003, 05:53:43 AM »
Who honestly thought that Nintendo was totally dropping the power slide?

Good thing it's faster, however.  That had me sort of worried.
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline DRJ

• View Profile
« Reply #397 on: July 09, 2003, 06:16:33 AM »
There will be at least 3 speed levels 50cc, 100cc, 150cc. Nintendo knows that people wont want to drive karts at 10 mph. Nintendo has had a lot of time to do this game right and I have no doubt at all that it will be great.

P.S.

Add Toad, Either as an unlockable player, or if there is no room get rid of baby Luigi.

Offline WesDawg

• View Profile
« Reply #398 on: July 11, 2003, 03:49:59 PM »
OK, so I read this on IGN tonight:

"Optimistically, I was ready to jump off the starting line when the light flashed to green. It wasn't long before I felt as if my hopes for the title took a nosedive off a cliff edge. I crawled off of the white line, almost as if I was in some sort of terrible surreal world, where nothing worked properly and moved in slow motion."

Is it just me, or is that bit extreme. I understand using exageration sometimes when you've got a point to make, but the points been made. It's like Fran just couldn't think of anything else to write.Anyways, sometimes journalists just piss me off, and I guess I wanted to vent, so there it is.

Offline DRJ

• View Profile
« Reply #399 on: July 11, 2003, 04:41:54 PM »
From some of the videos the karts seem to be going at their normal speed, like in N64 150cc. They are not supposed to go super fast. If you want lightning fast cars get FZero. Anyways you dont win a mario kart race by being the fastest, its all about taking shortcuts and using items at just the right moment.

This game will kick ass, so just be patient.