Author Topic: Game Market is Nintendos for the taking  (Read 4681 times)

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
Game Market is Nintendos for the taking
« on: May 08, 2006, 07:27:07 PM »
This is just a filler topic while we wait for the conference, but i'm excited already after the major screwup that was the Sony one. It seems so freaking easy for Nintendo to destroy the PS3s launch right now. Let's look at this from an outside perspective

$250 vs $600
FF / DQ / Mario / SSB / Zeldavs no confirmed launch games*
Nice Compact system vs Huge Heavy Brick
NES / SNES / Mega Drive / TurboGFX / N64 downloads vs PSX game downloads to PSP
Revolutionary controller vs Poor knock off
Nothing else like Wii vs Xbox 360 is like PS3

I'm probably missing stuff too, add your own!

*What is launching with PS3? They didn't mention ANY at the conference. Ridge Racer 7? Tekken 6? I'm guessing it's just going to be EA stuff at this point, which Wii will have as well.

All this, and Nintendo haven't even dealt out all their cards yet. In 12 hours, they have a MASSIVE opportunity to take the industry back. CANT WAIT!  

Offline Stimutacs Addict

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE: Game Market is Nintendos for the taking
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2006, 07:29:24 PM »
Poor knock off vs Revolutionary controller

oh .. you were joking. i wish i had a sense of humor
I'll shut up now...

Offline BigJim

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2006, 07:32:12 PM »
But the PS3 doubles as a George Foreman Grill. Thus saving you $100.  It helps you lose weight because it cuts the fat.

Jeez, $600 is just arrogance.  
"wow."

Offline kirby_killer_dedede

• I SUK AT DIS ENTERNIT OK
    • View Profile
RE:Game Market is Nintendos for the taking
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2006, 07:38:56 PM »
Wait, is $250 official?
WHY HELLO THAR MR. ANDERSUN

4 8 15 16 23 42

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2006, 07:40:16 PM »

Wait, is $250 official?

Nope.  Speculation.

If Nintendo can produce a kick ass show tomorrow, I will deem this E3, and the PS3, the biggest misstep in video games console history.  Worse than the SNES choosing philips over the Sony cd add on that became the Playstation, and worse than the sticking with cartridges with the N64.  Worse than the Saturn and Dreamcast combined.
"If a man comes to the door of poetry untouched by the madness of the muses, believing that technique alone will make him a great poet, he and his sane compositions never reach perfection, but are utterly eclipsed by the inspired madman." Socrates

Offline Jensen

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2006, 07:42:12 PM »
$199!

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2006, 07:42:43 PM »
My speculation is $200, but Iwata has officially stated it would be "less than $300". So I went with the middle ground.

Offline Michael8983

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2006, 08:01:19 PM »
I'm betting on $200.
The $250 supposably came from a Nintendo rep giving an estimate. Of course he's going to estimate a little higher than what they're shooting for just to be safe.
The only way I could see Nintendo actually going with $250 is if they decide they can get away with it on account of Sony being so outrageous.
But I think 200 will still be the magic number with Nintendo so focused on the maintream and non-gamers. Plus this way they'll get away with advertising the Wii as being a third of the cost of its nearest competitor.

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2006, 08:04:12 PM »

Originally posted by: Mario
Huge Heavy Brick vs Nice Compact system

Shouldn't that be the other way around?
...unless you actually think the PS3 looks better than the Wii
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline trip1eX

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2006, 08:08:53 PM »
Nintendo is definitely on track to create a nice niche for itself for those that just want to play some fun games.

INteresting 3 horse race because the prices are so different for each major player.  

$200 maybe for the Wii.

$400 for a 360 premium.

$600 for the real PS3.

That's a $200 gap between each.   $400 difference between a PS3 and Wii.  That $400 difference can buy a lot of games or even a 27" hi-def TV to play your Wii games at 480p.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2006, 05:01:27 AM »
Hm, I could buy a PS3 or I could buy a Wii and an XC Premium set for the same amount of money... Or I could just get a Wii and a Koopa plushie.

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2006, 05:50:34 AM »

Originally posted by: The Omen

If Nintendo can produce a kick ass show tomorrow, I will deem this E3, and the PS3, the biggest misstep in video games console history.  Worse than the SNES choosing philips over the Sony cd add on that became the Playstation, and worse than the sticking with cartridges with the N64.  Worse than the Saturn and Dreamcast combined.

I couldn't agree with you more. It is almost like everyone wants Nintendo to step up and take over the world. I can't believe the $600 price tag on the real PS3. Terrible move on Sony's part. Let's just pray that Nintendo rocks our socks off in less than 2 hours.

Check out PixlBit!

Offline Avinash_Tyagi

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2006, 07:14:06 AM »
I think they should go for the $200 dollar mark even if they have to release it with only one controller and no game, it would basically become a no brainer for the next holiday season, especially in Japan.

Offline Requiem

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2006, 07:27:17 AM »
I love hyping myself, but I don't want to get to excited till I know exactly what the system has to offer.

Honestly though, The Wii has everything going for it. The best part is: I like how I adore the idea of the system and I'm still cloaked in the consumer shadow. I don't know anything about it, yet I feel an overwhelming urge to buy the system as soon as it releases.
"Hey....

I'm not a whore, ok? Really.....really, I'm not.

But, if she slips man....if she slips, I slide!"

Qoute of the Summer

Offline PaLaDiN

• I'm your new travel agent!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2006, 10:11:04 AM »
Buying this thing on launch day. Standing in line if I have to. Preordering as early as I need to. Paying any price they throw at me.
<BR><BR>It shone, pale as bone, <BR>As I stood there alone...

Offline Stimutacs Addict

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2006, 10:15:00 AM »
I feel like we need a post-pre-E3 press interview so Nintendo can clear up some questions regarding prices (system and downloadables), controller battery life/charge method, the absence of Smash, etc.
I'll shut up now...

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2006, 10:16:20 AM »

Buying this thing on launch day. Standing in line if I have to. Preordering as early as I need to. Paying any price they throw at me.

Pretty much what I have done since the launch of the SNES.
"If a man comes to the door of poetry untouched by the madness of the muses, believing that technique alone will make him a great poet, he and his sane compositions never reach perfection, but are utterly eclipsed by the inspired madman." Socrates

Offline RickPowers

• IT Director
    Senior Editor
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2006, 10:23:06 AM »
I would remind people that Nintendo has never launched a base system at a price over $199.99 (The Nintendo 64 was $249.99 until three days before launch, when they announced a surprise price drop of $50).
:: Rob "Rick Powers" Stevens
:: Senior Editor Emeritus
:: Personal Blog
:: Wii Number: 7294 0910 3012 6153

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2006, 11:13:54 AM »
The cube was £169 here (i think), so im expecting £200 and not a penny/cent higher.

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2006, 12:19:46 PM »
I think Nintendo is playing coy on both price and release date so that Sony and Microsoft can't react much.  Right now, for instance, Microsoft probably feels very comfortable with it's price point, being at least $100 cheaper than PS3.  If Nintendo announces Wii @ $200, that's a little bit scary.  Nintendo may also be considering bundles.  If these controllers aren't cheap (they certainly pack a lot of technology in) then Nintendo may want to bundle two or even more with the system so players don't need to spend another $150+ making their Wii multiplayer.

Oh yeah, and the date.  I think if Nintendo's smart, it will try to lead Sony into the market, but it probably wants to do so late in the year (well obviously, they said fourth quarter).  Not saying when it will launch until Sony commits to a date would let Nintendo give itself a slight advantage.
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2006, 01:12:37 PM »
I'm guessing that, unless Wii comes with bundled NES/SNES/N64 games, or at least one free game, then it will be $149-$179 tops.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2006, 01:16:06 PM »
I imagine Nintendo hasn't revealed the price for no reason other than the fact that they like to hide stuff for no reason whatsoever.  Usually the less logical it is for it to be hidden the more likely it will be while something incredibly innovative like a motion controlled remote is revealed well ahead of time so that Sony can attempt to rip it off.

Offline MaryJane

• Ain't got nothing on Felica Hardy
  • Score: -13
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2006, 01:20:20 PM »

Originally posted by: Ian Sane
I imagine Nintendo hasn't revealed the price for no reason other than the fact that they like to hide stuff for no reason whatsoever.  Usually the less logical it is for it to be hidden the more likely it will be while something incredibly innovative like a motion controlled remote is revealed well ahead of time so that Sony can attempt to rip it off.

Or if you think logically, if Nintendo says they're releasing for $199 on Oct. 1, Sony would still have time to say: "After careful consideration of our dedicated fanbase we have decided to release the amazingly graphically powerful ps3 with our original motion sensing controller for $400 and release on Sept. 29."

Sony copied the remote so, Ninty probably wants to slap them in the face again with price and date without giving them too much time to react.
Silly monkeys; give them thumbs they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive so misguided is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an a eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here.