Author Topic: Powerstone for PSP  (Read 6995 times)

Offline Gamebasher

• Flaming the competition...
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Powerstone for PSP
« on: February 23, 2006, 08:51:02 AM »
This is great news!

Ever tried the games Powerstone 1 and 2 from Capcom for the Dreamcast?

The best fighter I have ever played, packed with the best free-roaming action ever to grace a console, and now it´s coming back!

Frenzied battles against NPC´s for hours on end, and you can even play it with other PSP owners! Coming to a place near you this Fall!! Powerstone G-E-T!! Yiiiii-haaaa!!

Powerstone right here!
Nintendo is the originator of videogame innovation! The Great Mover of the Industry. Past, present and future. Rightfully, the King of Videogaming!

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
RE: Powerstone for PSP
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2006, 08:59:03 AM »
That IS sarcasm, right?
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2006, 09:05:52 AM »
Powerstone is a great game, but Capcom is making a mistake putting the game on PSP.  I think the game would play much better and smoother on the DS.  

Reasons:

1)Top Screen needs to be a map, or better yet bottom screen needs to be a map, with the ability to tap the screen and lock the camera onto an opponent.  Too often Powerstone was too difficult to keep track of fights in its vastly crazy world.

2)The Wifi and Online support for this game would be nice with the DS.  Again the map feature would allow you to create larger levels to balance more fighters well.

3)Nintendo fans love Capcom and would probably support the game better than PSP buyers.  (Heck there are more sold units of the DS than PSP why Capcom would you betray us?)

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2006, 09:22:33 AM »
Capcom's support for the PSP has been surprisingly good.

I think they're hoping all of the idiots who bought the system as a movie player instead of a cheaper portable DVD player might want to buy a game or two one of these days and they intend to be the only ones who have games out when that happens.

As for Powerstone, both games were good, but they pale in comparison to SSB.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2006, 09:26:41 AM »

Capcom's support for the PSP has been surprisingly good.
Seven games, six of which are ports/remakes.  Surprisingly good, indeed.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
RE:Powerstone for PSP
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2006, 09:35:35 AM »

Originally posted by: vudu
Seven games, six of which are ports/remakes.  Surprisingly good, indeed.

What other company has brought out 7 games for the thing, other than EA who makes games for everything regardless?

Also, you can buy a DC, both Powerstones, and four controllers for less than a PSP.

Playing PS:2 with four people on PSPs is a $1,000+ endeavor and no one will be able to tell what's going on because the screens are too small and that game confused players on a 32" TV.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2006, 09:51:53 AM »
Capcom can stand out on the PSP

Offline capamerica

• ^______^
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2006, 10:14:32 AM »
as I said on Digg, This blows. PowerStone fans have been asking for PowerStone to be ported or a new game be created on the PS2, Xbox or GameCube ever since the Dreamcast died. And what do we get a lame direct Dreamcast port to the PSP. This is so stupid.

As S_B pointed out the game just won't work on a small screen, to much is going on. I remember playing this with my friends and you can get confused easily in PowerStone 2 on some of the levels and thats on a big 32" TV, Its just going to be very frustrating on the PSP.

Even if I did have a PSP (I have yet to see enough games I want available on it to justify buying one) I wouldn't buy PowerStone for it. I much rather dig out my old Dreamcast and play on that.

You can easly get a Dreamcast for $25 and PowerStone 1 goes for about $8 and PowerStone 2 I've seen for $20. and Dreamcast controlers are about $5 each.
"Alright, you know what? I'm just giving in and looking at the breasts."
Crow ~ MST3K
<BR>-- I like my food like I like my women Chinese, Japaneses, Korean, Filipino, Vietnamese and Hot! --

Offline hudsonhawk

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2006, 12:18:16 PM »
This is the first game on the PSP that I would actually buy - if it had online multiplayer.

I disagree that it wouldn't work on the small screen of the PSP - the multiplayer matches would get crazy on the Dreamcast (that is, the 4-player matches in PStone2), but since you're not sharing the screen the camera will be able to zoom in a lot further.  You don't really need to see all the action, so long as something let you know when there was a loose stone.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2006, 12:04:50 AM »
Grrrrr... Why does Capcom have to make all these remakes PSP exclusive? Why can't they give us PS2 ports like they did for all the other "exclusives" for non-PS2 platforms?

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2006, 05:00:52 AM »
Hudsonhawk:  Which is why Powerstone is actually perfect for the DS.  It really frustrates me when companies see an easy port and just throw a game at a system without thinking if that game would be better else where.  Obviously, Powerstone's entire game mechanics would work much better and provide a more complete experience on the DS.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2006, 05:04:02 AM »

Originally posted by: KDR_11k
Grrrrr... Why does Capcom have to make all these remakes PSP exclusive? Why can't they give us PS2 ports like they did for all the other "exclusives" for non-PS2 platforms?

Capcom subscribes to the new "Sega Business Advice Fanletter"...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2006, 08:11:49 AM »

Originally posted by: hudsonhawk
I disagree that it wouldn't work on the small screen of the PSP - the multiplayer matches would get crazy on the Dreamcast (that is, the 4-player matches in PStone2), but since you're not sharing the screen the camera will be able to zoom in a lot further.  You don't really need to see all the action, so long as something let you know when there was a loose stone.

Actually, I think that this is game where all four players MUST be on the screen at the same time because of the sheer number of ranged attacks involved.

Otherwise, players will be shooting you and you won't know where they are until you move closer to where the shot came from.

Offline jasonditz

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2006, 12:57:24 PM »
I agree a dual screen powerstone would be awesome, but anything that keeps this franchise alive is a good thing... I don't think it's going to sell me a PSP though.

Offline Djunknown

• HEY! HEY! LISTEN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2006, 07:03:28 PM »
a Power Stone port would suck on the DS. One, because the visuals would be butchered; the DS is no Dreamcast. Imagine trying to port SSBM to the DS. It wouldn't be pretty. Two, Capcom would pigeon-toe some DS feature that wouldn't help. If they didn't use any of the DS's features, then someone would bitch that this game wasn't unique enough.

1)Top Screen needs to be a map, or better yet bottom screen needs to be a map, with the ability to tap the screen and lock the camera onto an opponent. Too often Powerstone was too difficult to keep track of fights in its vastly crazy world.

That'd probably work for part 1, but not for part 2. Once there's 3-4 player mayhem, focusing in on one player would be moot.

3)Nintendo fans love Capcom and would probably support the game better than PSP buyers. (Heck there are more sold units of the DS than PSP why Capcom would you betray us?)

Because they can, they did, and they will. See RE 4, Viewtiful Joe, and Killer 7.

Powestone on the PSP should suffer minimal porting pain. Heck, with its wide-screen, that'd be better than a map.
Ma ma sa, ma ma coo sa
Ma ma se, ma ma sa,
Ma ma coo sa

Offline darknight06

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2006, 07:23:47 AM »
Powerstone's gonna take a cut somewhere on the graphics front on PSP.  As far as VRAM is concerned the PSP is no Dreamcast and I've yet to see a PSP game with the kind of texture quality some of the best on the DC have.

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2006, 07:26:31 AM »
The screen is still too small.

PS:1, maybe, but PS:2 just had so much crap going on at the same time that there's no way in hell a screen that size will be able to give you the resolution you need to keep track of any amount of it.

Offline kirby_killer_dedede

• I SUK AT DIS ENTERNIT OK
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2006, 11:19:52 AM »
Actually...I believe a PSP is as powerful or more powerful than a Dreamcast...

But anyway, I'm excited.  This'll probably be the first game I purchase for my PSP (which I've had for nearly a year and have only been using for mp3s, yeah, blasphemy) mainly because I loved Power Stone and fighting games are a genre that would function well on the PSP because it wouldn't need that horrible, horrible analog "nub."
WHY HELLO THAR MR. ANDERSUN

4 8 15 16 23 42

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
  • Score: 52
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2006, 09:49:43 PM »

Originally posted by: Gamebasher
This is great news!

Ever tried the games Powerstone 1 and 2 from Capcom for the Dreamcast?

The best fighter I have ever played, packed with the best free-roaming action ever to grace a console, and now it´s coming back!

Frenzied battles against NPC´s for hours on end, and you can even play it with other PSP owners! Coming to a place near you this Fall!! Powerstone G-E-T!! Yiiiii-haaaa!!

Powerstone right here!
Why are you happy? I thought you couldn't play handhelds because of your eye seizures.
Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2006, 10:08:49 PM »
Actually...I believe a PSP is as powerful or more powerful than a Dreamcast...

Really? I don't. The way the devs talk about it it's way below the DC in power.

Offline darknight06

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2006, 06:36:32 AM »
From what I've seen of practically every PSP game on the market, it doesn't nearly have the texturing capability of the DC.  And at least according to the screenshots I've seen the graphics appear to have taken somewhat of a downgrade.

Offline capamerica

• ^______^
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2006, 08:20:34 AM »

Originally posted by: darknight06
From what I've seen of practically every PSP game on the market, it doesn't nearly have the texturing capability of the DC.  And at least according to the screenshots I've seen the graphics appear to have taken somewhat of a downgrade.

It wouldn't surprize me if it was downgraded to save on battery life.
"Alright, you know what? I'm just giving in and looking at the breasts."
Crow ~ MST3K
<BR>-- I like my food like I like my women Chinese, Japaneses, Korean, Filipino, Vietnamese and Hot! --

Offline darknight06

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2006, 12:04:38 PM »
Even with that in mind 2MB of VRAM is nothing compared to having 8MB, and historically DC to PS2 ports have been quite tricky for certain games, I can only imagine this being more of an issue on the PSP's more limited resources.

Offline Myxtika1 Azn

• The Master of the Fists
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2006, 12:14:29 PM »
Dasmos, your avatar gives ME eye seizures.

I've played Powerstone 1 on the DC with a couple of friends.  We could not get into it at all, especially after we have experienced the goodness that is called Super Smash Brothers.  I would give this game a try if it came out on the DS, though.
500 years ago, I shook the Pillars of Heaven.  Why should I fear a runt like you?

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2006, 03:19:32 PM »

Originally posted by: Myxtika1 Azn
I've played Powerstone 1 on the DC with a couple of friends.  We could not get into it at all, especially after we have experienced the goodness that is called Super Smash Brothers.

Same.

We played it and PS:2 for a bit but eventually went back to SSB.