Author Topic: The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword  (Read 615526 times)

Offline walsh_Fever

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Re: The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
« Reply #1525 on: July 09, 2011, 07:21:35 PM »
I am soooo looking forward to this new Zelda game!! ;D

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #1526 on: July 11, 2011, 06:56:49 PM »
I've said it before but Skyward sword is using Resort controls as their baseline.

Flying sounds a lot like the plane game in resort.  Whenever a new control method is revealed look at Resort first.

I'm still waiting for an explanation as to why this control method makes sense.  If the whole idea is to be more immersive, you don't fly a plane in real life by rotating and pointing your wrist.  If that was Nintendo's goal, you should be holding the Wii Remote upright like a flight stick and steering it by tilting the remote, something oddly enough Zack & Wiki of all games got right.  If I'm flying a bird in Skyward Sword, shouldn't I be doing something like mimicking holding the reins of the bird (holding the Wii Remote sideways); steering the bird by tilting the remote left or right; and spurring the bird by a quick shake of the remote?  The Resort controls just don't make sense here.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #1527 on: July 11, 2011, 07:09:02 PM »
I've said it before but Skyward sword is using Resort controls as their baseline.

Flying sounds a lot like the plane game in resort.  Whenever a new control method is revealed look at Resort first.

I'm still waiting for an explanation as to why this control method makes sense.  If the whole idea is to be more immersive, you don't fly a plane in real life by rotating and pointing your wrist.  If that was Nintendo's goal, you should be holding the Wii Remote upright like a flight stick and steering it by tilting the remote, something oddly enough Zack & Wiki of all games got right.  If I'm flying a bird in Skyward Sword, shouldn't I be doing something like mimicking holding the reins of the bird (holding the Wii Remote sideways); steering the bird by tilting the remote left or right; and spurring the bird by a quick shake of the remote?  The Resort controls just don't make sense here.
Unfortunately Lair has ruined that control for everyone.  You have to wonder why certain control decisions are made.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #1528 on: July 11, 2011, 07:23:50 PM »
Unfortunately Lair has ruined that control for everyone.  You have to wonder why certain control decisions are made.

Hah, I've never played Lair so it never occurred to me that that's basically what I just described.   :D   Still, the Motion Plus-equipped Wii Remote is in a whole other league than the Sixaxis when it comes to Motion control, so it could probably do those controls justice.  Not having to do split-second turns like Lair had would help as well.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #1529 on: July 11, 2011, 07:42:01 PM »
As long as the controls are precise, functional and fun, then I do not care if my actions mimmick the screen.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #1530 on: July 11, 2011, 07:43:32 PM »
As long as the controls are precise, functional and fun, then I do not care if my actions mimmick the screen.

In which case, why not just allow us to use a control stick?  Why even bother with motion controls for this?  Save them for the swordplay, where it would actually make a difference.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 07:54:46 PM by broodwars »

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #1531 on: July 11, 2011, 08:05:24 PM »
I must be one of the few who thinks flying with the gyroscope is actually more fun.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #1532 on: July 11, 2011, 08:47:51 PM »
I must be one of the few who thinks flying with the gyroscope is actually more fun.
I don't like Turn Key, other forms of Gyro controls I like.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #1533 on: July 12, 2011, 12:52:13 AM »

I'm with you all the way!
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #1534 on: July 13, 2011, 11:48:32 PM »
I like holding it more like bike handles and tilting it that way than twisting it like a key, I find that easier to use.

Offline Caterkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #1535 on: July 15, 2011, 07:22:29 PM »
Interesting Zelda quotes

http://www.n-europe.com/news.php?nid=15907
Well, one thing I want to emphasize here, when talking about the Wii U Zelda HD experience, is that we really built it specifically to be an experience. The idea is using Zelda as the backdrop for one of these HD experiences, what kind of representation Zelda can make there. But this is really just to show people what kind of things the console can do. And so, it’s not necessarily the case that we would use that graphic style or depiction the same way we would in a new Zelda, when there is a new Zelda for the Wii U. Just like the map functionality that was also implemented in that experience - it’s simply us giving an objective look at the kinds of things that can be done with the HD hardware. And Zelda happened to be the filter through which we view it in that experience. So nothing is defined right now as far as how we’ll proceed.

It does bring up a question that I think we are examining and will continue to examine, which is “Looking at the capabilities that are in our hands, what kinds of gameplay possibilities are out there for a Zelda game that goes online, maybe something that goes multiplayer?†But it’s all about, for us, finding a clear direction to take that online functionality, to use that online functionality. Once we have that, I think things will move forward. But, until then, we’re in the process of really asking ourselves, “How will this be a natural extension - a natural and enjoyable extension of what makes the series the series?†So that‘s something for the Zelda team to continue to examine as we move forward.

But in general, the timeline for new hardware is actually shorter than the timeline for a new Zelda game. And because of that, when they don’t line up correctly - and that’s often the case - it’s extremely hard to coordinate getting that title out as a day one title. But when possible, of course it’s something that we understand is great and we like to do it. And, naturally, I realize that it is in some ways a problem that Zelda games take as long as they do. I would like to get them out faster. That’s something that I consider a personal challenge and it’s something that I look into.

I'd like some multiplayer Zelda adventures in 3D!

RomanceDawn

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #1536 on: July 19, 2011, 12:06:42 PM »
This is cool.

Skyward Sword at Comic-Con and a Big Chalk Art Zelda Drawing.

Offline Caterkiller

• View Profile
Comicon Zelda Impressions
« Reply #1537 on: July 26, 2011, 05:12:50 PM »
So I played allot of Zelda at Comicon this weekend. My thoughts:

-Sword fighting is so much more engaging. I battled one Moblin and everywhere I swung he would block, I tried to just rush through him to get through the demo but it was like he knew where I would be swinging. So I had to cool it a bit, and just watch him for a moment. All I can is it is it EXTREMELY satisfying FOR ME to try and hit around the enemies guard. I noticed others just doing waggle as if it were TP, for some enemies it worked cause they got lucky, and sometimes it didn't. The majority of the people there were just waggling and I don't think they could really appreciate/comprehend what Nintendo was trying to do.  I don't blame them since our minds have been trained for waggle after all.

What I really noticed is that it isn't so much of your arm in relation to the game, but where the remote is pointing. So as I fiddled with that I noticed if I point the remote up Link would hold it up and charge up, which was cool. I didn't have to raise the remote above my head, even though for some reason that felt better. When I moved my wrists alone I could see Link moving his wrists as well, as if I was in a light bulb screwing motion. With that being said sometimes I would swing and it would come out wrong. So I did some trial and error to really figure out how the remote and links arm were working together.

This is the best I can explain. Swing as frantic as you want (big swings or small), but make sure you follow through with a point of the wiimote. I noticed sometimes I would swing and link just did not do what I was expecting. For example I would swing with the remote facing forward, but if I added a bit of follow through pointing it in the direction of my swing Link's action would come out as expected.

What also makes it seem like it's no good from time is doing a vertical slash up or down. Most people naturally just rest their arm forward so that's why link always looks lame running in the videos with the sword leading the way. So from there some times I just could not make a good vertical slash up or down. What I found is that if the enemy guards in a way that you need to do a vertical slash, point the remote up or down first to get the sword ready for the motion. The vertical slash was unreliable when I was me trying to do it while the sword was pointing straight, left or right. So by initiating the sword in the center at a downward or upward starting point it made verticle strikes very reliable.  Let me tell you though I had a blast fighting the stalfos, he would guard and I would have to upercut him from a lower 45 degree angel and trust me it just feels good!

Link would do a spin slash sometimes and I still don't know how it happened. I need to read some hands on impressions.

Flying felt just like Resort which was fine. Saw many people having trouble with it. Just don't turn too hard or over turn and it is very easy. Kind of like when as kids we first played racing games and tried straighten out of a turn with another turn causing you to just go back and forth like crazy. Flying does feel great and there are allot of tiny little islands(WW sized I bet) I was told we could access in the final game. I just hope one day we can take the bird to the ground and fly over hyrul after a certain point.

That new bad guy replacing Ganon did some interesting things, but I felt his boss battle wasn't nearly as fun as the stalfos. But one thing I noticed I thought was great, he could yank the sword out of Links hand and throw it to the ground! I don't know about some of you, but WWs ability to pick up enemy weapons were great and things of the sort were lost in TP. Though this isn't that at all, it gives me hope that more elements like that will be appearing in the game. Also I whipped out a bomb and a moblin got afraid then ran for it! Hopefully those little enemy personalities from WW will be back in full force.

Edit: Last thing!

I did my best to rush through the temple as fast as possible before the 10 min time limit. Tried several times but only made it as far as the swinging vines. I noticed someone using the beetle to explore and noticed they were flying that thing all over the place. I'm so used to rushing through Zelda puzzles that I completely forgot how much potential the new item had. I saw this guy fly to near the top of the super high ceiling and saw little rooms that link could get up to. For the first time Since MM, I looked at a physical obstacle and could not even imagine how I was supposed to get there in the long run. Man it was exciting!

Edit again: Last thing for real this time.

Oh and you can walk while using items in first person this time around. For some reason I did not check to see if I could swing the sword while running around in first person.

During my multiple hands on moments with the game, for my own personal reasons I tried to keep Ian's point of view in mind.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 07:08:54 PM by Caterkiller »

RomanceDawn

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #1538 on: July 26, 2011, 06:27:26 PM »
Excellent impressions. I can't wait to try it out myself. I always figured you had to start wide in order for a stroke to register. So if you were to slice from left to right, you had to start over next to your left arm then swing across your body. If that's what it is (and that seems to be what you're describing), I'm all for it. More physicality needed, the better.

I love how you felt dumbfounded when reminded of MM. I love that feeling in a game. It instantly broadens the scope of the game.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #1539 on: July 27, 2011, 12:15:08 AM »
Should we go back to Wii Sports Resort fencing mode to practice for SS, or is the fencing in SS so different that I shouldn't even bother with loading up WSR?

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #1540 on: July 27, 2011, 12:48:29 AM »
Don't bother.

I mean don't bother, it's being moved to Wii U anyway.
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #1541 on: July 27, 2011, 12:52:18 AM »
Not a chance, the reports are that the game is done (whereas Twilight Princess wasn't when it got moved to Wii).
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline King of Twitch

• View Profile
« Reply #1542 on: July 27, 2011, 01:07:20 AM »
10 minute demo at E3 and comic con?

[marquee]2012[/marquee]
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #1543 on: July 27, 2011, 01:44:10 AM »
I mean don't bother, it's being moved to Wii U anyway.

That's sad to assume, but probably true. I'm not waiting another year to play a LoZ home console game though.

Offline King of Twitch

• View Profile
« Reply #1544 on: July 27, 2011, 02:25:32 AM »
You could always go back and play something like Wind Waker in the meantime. Or one of the good ones, like Twilight Princess.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #1545 on: July 27, 2011, 04:02:48 AM »
You should try and pull an Andy Goergen and try to beat all of them in order leading up to the Skyward Sword release and quit halfway through.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline alegoicoe

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1546 on: July 27, 2011, 12:37:35 PM »
I am glad that Ganon is not in the game, look at Majoras Mask, he was not in the game and it turn out really well, its fresh and does not tire out the old nemesis.
Nintendo Network ID: LivByDCreed
Switch Friend Code: SW-4906-9561-1308

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #1547 on: July 27, 2011, 12:40:19 PM »
How does the Shield work?
Can you still lock on?

Offline Caterkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #1548 on: July 27, 2011, 01:41:15 PM »
For the shield you have to jerk the nunchuck. You could pop it out at anytime but of course it is always easier to lock on with the Z(?) button first. If I remember correctly link held it out for a moment then put it away automatically. But you don't just sit and block like the old days, you have to time the shield with an opponents strike to throw them off balance. It feels just fine but there is no button assigned to it. It reminded me of something within Metroid Prime 3, the feeling of it anyway. I do recall though that if I didn't time the shield right, enemies would hit through Links defense. It wasn't a constant barrier even though it was up. But instead of just tanking hits it felt much better to throw an enemies balance off.

I know some people expressed negativity about real time health item usage but I thought it felt really cool and somewhat realistic to drink my potions and try to dodge attacks at the same time. Wasn't difficult at all and even if you don't like that a fairy will still release itself from a bottle if you die.

One other thing I forgot to mention about using the sword. Once again I realize pointing the remote is key. I saw several people having actual trouble with the 3 eyes watching Link, you know that puzzle where you swing the sword in a circle to confuse the eyes? It is not so much about lifting the wiimote(though can) but you have to point the remote in the appropriate direction so in can register. I did it over and over again 100% without fail because it is ALL in the WRIST. Keep it in mind when we all get the game and wonder why our stupid swords are not moving like we want them to.

I have not played Wii Sports Resort in a long time and don't have it with me at the moment so I can't compare right now. I will say the controlls were very good, but because of the nature of it sometimes movements will happen when you don't intend them to. I also had to recalibrate the controller a few times because it got really messed up from someone else playing. I would say it is 90% there as far as great motion control goes, there is still room for advancement in technology. Still though I know how much some of you are dreading the motion plus, but it just makes combat feel so much better.

RomanceDawn

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #1549 on: July 27, 2011, 06:50:19 PM »
So basically the shield can throw an enemies attack off like a Guard Impact from Soul Calibur 2 and you have the oppertunity to attack more then you would normally? Except it is with Motion instead of a button combonation.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.