Author Topic: METROID PRIME 2  (Read 96273 times)

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
RE: METROID PRIME 2
« Reply #600 on: January 06, 2005, 09:48:07 AM »
I completed MP2 on Boxing Day [December 26]. Needless to say, this game was difficult but i like that. The difficulty was at a point where I can get trampled all over, and know that it's my fault.

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
RE:METROID PRIME 2
« Reply #601 on: January 06, 2005, 01:39:00 PM »
Agreed, Caillan, but if you're on a gaming forum, chances are you play enough to have a fair degree of skill as far as video games go.  You play them, and you play them often enough to be good at them.  Wind Waker was primarily trying to appeal to a less skilled audience, introduce people to the game.  I remember them talking about that in interviews a lot, a new generation of Zelda fans.  I think it could have been harder, but the fact that it wasn't didn't really bother me.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline Gamebasher

• Flaming the competition...
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: January 08, 2005, 07:59:32 AM »
"Wind Waker was primarily trying to appeal to a less skilled audience, introduce people to the game. I remember them talking about that in interviews a lot, a new generation of Zelda fans. I think it could have been harder, but the fact that it wasn't didn't really bother me."

Really?

Well, then does that mean that Retro is o n l y interested in selling their new game to highly skilled, educated gamers hardcore type players who donĀ“t mind fighting bosses so tough you have to go back and back and back again to the last save point until you tire of it and give up? Even despite all the walkthroughs, since they basically just say the same thing, and help nothing. Nomatter how much you want to see the rest of the gameworld awaiting beyond the Boss you now face, you canĀ“t go anywhere. Not just stuck, but dead-stuck.

To me, that spells too much frustration, and less entertainment. Like I said in my previous replies to this topic, I think that they (Retro) will wind up scaring many casual gamers away (the ones they want to attract, to increase the sales), because of the magnitude of difficulty in even the early bossbattles. I gave up at Amorbis, because I couldnĀ“t see what I was fighting, it is too dark and the radar didnĀ“t help me a bit. I was also feeling that the camera was set too low on the ground in relation to the towering boss attacking above, so that it became impossible to feel in control of the situation. I didnĀ“t feel that once with any Boss in MP1!

I think the people who increased the difficulty in MP2, should have tried to play the bossbattles themselves. Or maybe invent a better controller which wonĀ“t have you twist your fingers, on top of them gliding around in handsweat, when attempting to operate Samus in battlemode! No kidding, thatĀ“s how I felt. Maybe my hands are too big, still not much different from other guys hands here.

So, to go back to where I quit: entertainment became harassment after 15 tries and a decision to stop playing. I even sold the game, and bought two other games instead. I simply realised that it would become a hell to play through, and I would just fling the controller into the wall multiple times until either it or I broke down in raving rage over a game made much too difficult for good measure. Just love the Metroid Prime worlds, but when I canĀ“t proceed to see it, itĀ“s an over and out thing for me. Hope they make the next one, more like the first one.

Nintendo is the originator of videogame innovation! The Great Mover of the Industry. Past, present and future. Rightfully, the King of Videogaming!

Offline PaLaDiN

• I'm your new travel agent!
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: January 08, 2005, 08:55:41 AM »
"Well, then does that mean that Retro is o n l y interested in selling their new game to highly skilled, educated gamers hardcore type players who donĀ“t mind fighting bosses so tough you have to go back and back and back again to the last save point until you tire of it and give up? Even despite all the walkthroughs, since they basically just say the same thing, and help nothing. Nomatter how much you want to see the rest of the gameworld awaiting beyond the Boss you now face, you canĀ“t go anywhere. Not just stuck, but dead-stuck."

Wow. I can't help but feel you're grossly exaggerating. If you're not, though, this probably isn't the game for you.

MP2 doesn't coddle you like most games out there, and I appreciate that. There's no fun in just going through the motions... the game does challenge you to survive at points, to use everything you've learned thus far in overcoming the enemies you face, especially the bosses... but I wouldn't have it any other way. The bosses in MP2 are easily among the most enjoyable I've ever fought in any game.

The funny thing is I don't even consider myself much of a hardcore gamer. You're not going to gain my sympathy by flashing that card. If I could do it, I don't see why anybody else couldn't.
<BR><BR>It shone, pale as bone, <BR>As I stood there alone...

Offline Uglydot

• Jesus
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: January 08, 2005, 08:58:32 AM »
Does the late game of MP2 get harder?  Because so far I am finding it to be easier than the first Prime.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: January 08, 2005, 09:20:30 AM »
...Insane...You need to go back to playing Prime, because it's bosses were FAR easier than MP2's...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Gamebasher

• View Profile
« Reply #606 on: January 09, 2005, 06:41:55 AM »
Bill Aurion,

THANKS!

NOW I know I am not the only one who is trouble by the INCREASED difficulty of the Metroid Prime 2 bosses!

Take that, you so-called non-hardcore gamers. CanĀ“t get it hard enough? YouĀ“re in the minority! If not so on this Forum, you are in the mainstream gaming world!! ThereĀ“s nothing that explicitly demands over-hard bosses to make a good game! And the first one, with it fantastic exploration-elements stand as testimony to that!! It was actually POSSIBLE to proceed and to get to see the whole game through to the end. Not so with this one.

I always thought there should be something for everyone in a game, but this game has been overdone in the level of difficulty. And then itĀ“s just not fun anymore.

And another thing: I DO like the Metroid series! Only this game I donĀ“t, for the stated reasons.

Nintendo is the originator of videogame innovation! The Great Mover of the Industry. Past, present and future. Rightfully, the King of Videogaming!

Offline Uglydot

• Jesus
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: January 09, 2005, 07:35:33 AM »
I never mind difficulty in games, I get them down eventually.  I HATED the artifacts.  I just hated looking for them for some reason.

Offline parodyofanangel

• View Profile
« Reply #608 on: January 09, 2005, 01:58:23 PM »
I just dont know? I really thought this game was simple. I thought that the original game was harder. I thought that this game was better than the original but, I thought that this game needed a better story line. Other than that I thought that it was great. I had alot of fun in this game. I now wear the T shirt I got from the pre-sale at work often. I love this game.

Offline mantidor

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: January 12, 2005, 02:13:05 PM »
I finished the game like minutes ago! ^_^ it was really great, it was definately harder than the first prime, but its the kind of difficulty that makes you come back again and again until you find out the way to kill the bosses, like the final boss, how every time I came backto fight it I got better and better, it was really rewarding.

I got stuck in some parts, specially with the keys, and Im guilty that out of desperation I look for in faqs a couple of times, but I played the game almost entirely without any help aside from the hints that the scans gave, my final time and percentage (this is a bit embarrasing because it took me too long) 27:50 scans: 94% items 90%

My only complain about the game was Samus' model without her suit, I liked more her face in the first prime. Overall it was an awesome game.  
"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #610 on: January 12, 2005, 02:23:41 PM »
Errrr, let's spoiler tag these so not to get people upset...

Well get used to it, because this is her official look...The one in Prime was horribly off...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

« Reply #611 on: January 12, 2005, 04:14:19 PM »
Yeah, she looked close to this in Super Metroid, and the look was sloidified in Fusion.  I belive this Samus is here to stay.  Besides, its not like you see her out of suit often...

Offline mantidor

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #612 on: January 12, 2005, 05:55:06 PM »
I shouldve just said "very minor complain"

lets follows Bill's advice

the look of her in echoes its a bit more "cartoony" while in prime her face looked very real, I suppose thats why I like it more, but its not that I dont like this one.

Something I really liked was her eye expression when dark samus in her last agonizing moments came close to her, that was great! we didnt get to se her full face, but we still could figure out her feelings just by looking at her eyes, great indeed.
"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline Gamebasher

• View Profile
« Reply #613 on: January 14, 2005, 04:42:28 AM »
Here is a link to a new IGN article, the content of which I feel could be fuel for my anti-Metroid Prime 2 "campaign":

IGN speculates on Metroid Prime sales numbers and their implications

Could it really be that a lot of other people, too, found the sequel to Metroid Prime annoyingly difficult, and so decided to buy other games on offer, instead?

Of course, I think so! I even heard that people chose Halo 2 over Metroid Prime 2, because it was more "accessible", or something like that.  

Offline PaLaDiN

• View Profile
« Reply #614 on: January 14, 2005, 05:19:48 AM »
Oh, yeah, that's what's happening.

People are telling each other how difficult MP2 is, and because everybody's a [edit due to offense], that results in less sales.  

Offline Gamebasher

• View Profile
« Reply #615 on: January 14, 2005, 06:51:40 AM »
Not so, my friend!

You are being extremely offensive here, mind!

I am NOT a crybaby wimp, and the others are not crybaby wimps either, because we found the gameĀ“s bosses or other things about the game too much! So, again I say, you are in the minority, if you think it should be so so hard and that only coming back and back and back to figure out how to beat the bosses is fun. There are other ways to make a game fun, and to get the majority to think that! Nintendo knowĀ“s that, and have so far, except for Mario Sunshine, not made any games that were too difficult for good measure.

Have it your way, let others have it theirs! You should definititely refrain from calling people abusive names! That game is far more difficult, than the first one, and itĀ“s just not fun to play anymore. This is entertainment, allright, not a military mission!! There is indeed a very clear dividing line between when itĀ“s fun and entertaining and where itĀ“s just not at all fun, but instead annoying! In the first game they had figured out how to be the first thing. In the second, they went over the edge, probably for fear of not being inventive enough in the gamedesign, and it became the last thing!!  

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: January 14, 2005, 06:55:09 AM »
You must realize that sometimes games are going to be tailored to a different audience.  They might be harder than you like them because other people like them to be that hard.  It just so happens that Metroid Prime 2 is one of those games, so all I can recommend is that you play another game that's easier.  There are plenty, I'm sure you'll find one you like.
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline PaLaDiN

• View Profile
« Reply #617 on: January 14, 2005, 08:14:08 AM »
Gamebasher, I was being silly. I didn't think anybody would take "crybaby wimp" as a serious insult. I'll edit it out if it's a grievous offense.

Regardless, why do you think you have the right to decide where the line is? I say there's also another, more prominent line, when a game becomes so easy it's just not enjoyable anymore because all you're doing is going through the motions... I'm glad Metroid Prime 2 is not near that line. If developers listened to what you say, more games would be closer to that line... and I don't want that happening.

You say "enjoy your games, let others enjoy theirs"... but that's not what you're doing, what you're doing is taking a game I'm perfectly happy with and requesting changes that would make it worse.

And what's with this "repeating boss" business? The most times a boss killed me in MP2 is 2.

Offline nemo_83

• Dream Master
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: January 15, 2005, 12:38:16 AM »
I thought I was going to like the puzzels that worked between both worlds, instead I have found they are all the same puzzels over and over, go to dark world, activate switch and return to light world.  Instead of finding things hard in the game I find them tedious.  I imediatly recognize the answers to every puzzel in the game, I can't move as fast as I can solve them.  I guess what is lacking is the NPC AI and interaction.  I think back to games as old as Perfect Dark and MGS2 having much smarter characters than these pirates in Prime.  I'm tired of fighting the Ing, I hate the Dark World, and I find myself playing for twenty or thirty minutes before getting tired of the game and rushing to find the next save point so I can quit.  Beyond all that is emaculate about the game, I just am not having fun with it.  I've fought bosses and beat them in this game with more health than I had when I walked into the arena.  How is that suppossed to happen?  More variations of alien sentient species in the next game could make things a little more enjoyable.  There is a lot about the game I like, and a lot of little things like character animations, story, lack of voice acting, controls, and so on that just bother the living hell out of me all of the time in the game.  Like, what was up with that hideous space marine's eye in that one cinematic?  Why is Samus so short compared to the marines?

The worst thing though is how I've spent several hours hunting down the same crap I found in the first game.  I was at least hoping for some new stuff.  The light and dark beams use ammo and offer nothing but the ability to open white and black doors, it makes me want to barf.  The echoe beam sounds cool and underused.  Why couldn't there have been a rocket pack?  What about the ability to switch suits with a dead pirate and go stealth deep into their base?    
Life is like a hurricane-- here in Duckburg

Offline Gamefreak

• View Profile
« Reply #619 on: January 15, 2005, 06:53:25 PM »
Halo 2 is more accessible? Have you tried Legendary?

Anyway.... Thought this might interest you guys. IGN has finally postd their overall multiplatform GOTY 2004 awards... All editors from all IGN sites voted. While Prime didn't get the top award, it did very well. To very surprising categories, seemingly proving that IGN isn't crazy after all...

For best graphics, Half-Life 2 got the award. Big surprise. Now guess which game was the single runner up? Metroid Prime 2! IGN seems to really adore this game's art direction, placing it second overall in graphics for 2004 over the likes of technically impressive PC juggernauts such as Far Cry, DOOM 3, Rome: Total War, and Riddick. The only other console game that might have been a challenge was Ninja Gaiden, but I don't know how much of a chance that had in the IGN editor's minds.

And finally, for overall Game of the Year, IGN chose to have one winner and two runners up. Half-Life 2 won the overall award, fairly unsurprisingly. Remember, IGN's overall GOTY was voted by all IGN editors, and there are a lot of IGN sites. One for each console, the PC, the handhelds, hardward, sports, cars, blah blah. And guess who the two runners up for Game of the Year were? Halo 2 and San Andreas? Nope. World of Warcraft or Metal Gear Solid 3? Nope. These four may be the most rabidly publicized, but the IGN editors voted Burnout 3 and Metroid Prime 2 to go down as their top 3 games of 2004 along with Half-Life 2. Not bad for an arcade racer and an overblown expansion pack (of epic proportions, to be sure...).  

Oh, and Samus is shorter than the Marines because she is a chick a the marines are big buff dudes. And yeah, if you look up various nerdy pieces of info from old nerdy Nintendo sources you'll find out that Samus is like 6'4" or something crazy like that. Now her suit only looks like it adds maybe 3 or 4 inches to her height.. But still a six foot chick is pretty ridiculous and I think Nintendo was just trying too hard back then to stress the point that Samus is a big tough manly girl.. And Retro probably laughed and shrunk her back to a normal height....  

Offline Gamebasher

• View Profile
« Reply #620 on: January 16, 2005, 10:35:01 AM »
Paladin, I accept your apology. I can also cross the line sometimes, and will apologize if I do.

Let me comment on your reply. You wrote:

"Regardless, why do you think you have the right to decide where the line is? I say there's also another, more prominent line, when a game becomes so easy it's just not enjoyable anymore because all you're doing is going through the motions... I'm glad Metroid Prime 2 is not near that line. If developers listened to what you say, more games would be closer to that line... and I don't want that happening."

I think I have that right, from a personal viewpoint and from playing through lots of games that dissapointed as opposed to the few that really delighted me. Metroid Prime was dead-on accurate as regards effort vs. reward, which is not the case with this sequel. I agree, that when a game becomes too easy, itĀ“s also not fun. But what I was saying in my last reply to the post here was that I on the contrary found this game too difficult. Either way, thereĀ“s no balance! I definitely not saying that games should be too easy, but they should neither be too hard!

So what I want developers to do, is to have playtesters of al kinds of both hradcore and softcore kind play through games they are making, in order for them to decide when they have hit the exact right balance between not to easy and not too difficult! They did that with Metroid Prime 1, why didnĀ“t they do it with the sequel? There are people, who are dreading that dark world on the other side, and just wanting to escape from it the moment they get in there. Do you think, then, that itĀ“s appropriate to also increase the difficulty of the bosses in such an environment? I donĀ“t! I donĀ“t even think the games is anywhere near as beautifull as the first one. The awesome ice worlds, and the just as awesome fire worlds have been totally omitted, and instead this scary dark one is there. I really feel that beautifull surroundings play an all-important role in any game! In particular, if the game is very very hard. That has a direct bearing on how you feel about it. And in my opinion, the choice of environments in this sequel, has made it a nightmare to play! So I canned it!!

"You say "enjoy your games, let others enjoy theirs"... but that's not what you're doing, what you're doing is taking a game I'm perfectly happy with and requesting changes that would make it worse."

What I was really saying, was that there is more people who dislike this game, than there was the first time around. This games sells less, for obvious reasons, just look at my reply earlier in this topic and see the IGN newsarticle stating the latest sales numbers for MP2 and their comments to it! I was not trying to ruin your oppotunity to get such games, I was merely expressing my own opinion, and that is all there is to it. However, that opinion is shared by many. And the majority vote will always be the one who decide how a game should be!

Offline nemo_83

• Dream Master
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: January 17, 2005, 12:11:03 AM »
I feel Samus would be about the size of Uma Thurman.  Lean and tall, but not butched out six foot four.  Not all of the marines were dudes and they can't all be seven foot tall.  Samus looks like a little girl on the court with NBA players.  

What do you guys think about a Metroid Revolution thread now?  
Life is like a hurricane-- here in Duckburg

Offline PaLaDiN

• View Profile
« Reply #622 on: January 17, 2005, 12:15:39 AM »
No. If you make one I'll cry with anticipation every time I see it.

There's nothing to discuss anyway.

Gamebasher:
"However, that opinion is shared by many."
Do you have anything to back this up? I didn't think the complaints were widespread...

Offline Gamefreak

• View Profile
« Reply #623 on: January 17, 2005, 08:09:30 AM »
So.... how do you guys feel about IGN naming Metroid Prime 2 the runner up to Best Graphics (behind only Half-Life 2) and a runner up to Game of the Year with Burnout 3 (Half-Life 2 got GOTY)? I think this just proves IGN XBOX and IGN PS2's immaturity and inability to ignore hype. They rated San Andreas and Halo 2 9.9 and 9.8. They are fine games to be sure, but there is no way the PS2 version of San Andreas deserves a 9.9 with it's clunky controls, technical issues, and pitiful graphics... And this is the third PS2 GTA and it's still not fixed. As for Halo 2, just like the original it is an unfinished, rushed game, and this time there are graphical issues and abnormalities too. Anyway, at least it shows the rest of IGN isn't crazy, because they got all the editors from all IGN sites together to vote on the awards, and they named Metroid Prime 2 the 2nd best looking game of the year (above even DOOM 3, Far Cry, Riddick, and Rome: Total War) and named Metroid Prime 2 in the top 3 overall games of 2004. I want to see the rest of their top ten though, I'm curious as to what order they put the rest of 2004's best games in (Rome: Total War, Far Cry, Halo 2, San Andreas, Snake Eater, Ninja Gaiden, World of Warcraft....).
Oh, and Paper Mario 2 got best RPG. It's been sweeping this award on all sites...

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: January 17, 2005, 08:26:58 AM »
It deserves it (Paper Mario 2, that is).

A Metroid Revolution thread would be pointless.