Author Topic: The Grinder: Hunter The Reckoning + Left4Dead  (Read 46072 times)

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
  • Score: 30
    • View Profile
    • Web Design Web Hosting Computer Sales and Service
The Grinder: Hunter The Reckoning + Left4Dead
« on: May 26, 2009, 11:00:35 PM »
http://wii.ign.com/articles/986/986663p1.html

I think I can get behind this game more than the Gladiator game. I'm looking forward to more details at E3.

Currently 4 characters to choose from
Game is built for online cooperative play
Light RPG elements based on an unannounced system
+65 enemies on screen with 60 fps during initial tests
Boss characters
Wii Speak support
Motion+ Support
« Last Edit: May 26, 2009, 11:03:58 PM by bustin98 »

Offline Dirk Temporo

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
Re: The Grinder: Hunter The Reckoning + Left4Dead
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2009, 11:12:00 PM »
I think I can get behind this game more than the Gladiator game.

I'm on the fence calling you cancer, but with L4D and Killing Floor, "co-op zombie killan FPS" is a pretty spoken for genre.
"You've had your dream old man. It's time to wake up!"
-Travis Touchdown

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2009, 11:13:49 PM »
High Voltage is really embarrassing many of the 3rd party efforts, the game looks amazing and actually looks fun!
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2009, 11:22:42 PM »
Looks phenomenal. I really like both of the concepts HVS has shown today. They both seem very strategic.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2009, 11:39:57 PM »
If the Conduit is even remotely fun, you can consider this game pre-ordered.

Online Hunter: Left4Dead Wii with M+ has me really looking forward to this game.

HVS is really trying hard to fill in some software gaps that Nintendo and lots of other 3rd parties have ignored.
All we need is a high quality 3rd person over the shoulder shooter/adventure game.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2009, 11:41:31 PM »
You're thinking of Muscle March.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2009, 11:46:39 PM »
You're thinking of Muscle March.
you talking to me?
do we have a thread on Muscle March?

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2009, 12:23:02 AM »
there's also split screen coop mode currently running in the demo, which is also pretty awesome for those who may not have access to play together using a Wi-Fi connection.

ARE YOU HAPPY NOW SPLIT SCREEN BEGGERS AND PLEADERS? Can a NWR staffer test out this mode at E3?

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2009, 12:24:13 AM »
HVS is smart.  They are taking a huge risk with high dollar, HIGH TALENT support of the Wii, however, they are getting this support in at the perfect time, since they can get games realized with little competition from similar genres. 

Basically, HVS is proving the Wii can do the same exact games as the other consoles, and is doing it in such a way as it is embarrassing the larger developers. 

HVS deserves the support of ALL Wii owners...or at least all Wii owners that don't consider themselves casual.   

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2009, 12:35:59 AM »

Impressive looking.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2009, 12:38:02 AM »
What I like most about the photos is that I don't recall HVS being into "touching them up" like so many others do.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2009, 12:50:38 AM »
What I like most about the photos is that I don't recall HVS being into "touching them up" like so many others do.
Not to mention that these photos are in game and early

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2009, 01:07:03 AM »
HVS deserves the support of ALL Wii owners...or at least all Wii owners that don't consider themselves casual.  
More like they deserve the support of people who have interest in these types of games. Not every "hardcore" gamer has interest in shooters and fighters.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2009, 01:15:47 AM »
More like they deserve the support of people who have interest in these types of games. Not every "hardcore" gamer has interest in shooters and fighters.

OK it deserves support from everyone but people that think Boom Blox has poor controls. ;)

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2009, 01:21:51 AM »

OK it deserves support from everyone but people that think Boom Blox has poor controls. ;)
I never said that, I just said the shooting levels don't work because the shots are off-center in relation to the on-screen cursor. That's not an opinion, it's a fact.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2009, 01:52:41 AM »
Sounds pretty God damned great. Holiday 2010 = a year and a half left in production, right?
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2009, 10:05:48 AM »
Call me a total pessimist, but when a glorified port house all the sudden is showing three new IPs they are working on simultaneously, I start to doubt their ability to execute.

Also, those don't look like screens at all to me... they look like mocked up concepts...

I could be wrong, but who knows.  At the very least I don't agree with this hype approach..... to me it reads like they aren't confident one of their games could stand on its own this E3 so they are taking the quantity approach.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
  • Score: 30
    • View Profile
    • Web Design Web Hosting Computer Sales and Service
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2009, 11:28:15 AM »
This is doing a couple of things: its putting HVS on gamers lips just before the big show, which is going to drive traffic to their booth. Its also getting the word out before any other game that is competing for the same gamers is announced at the show. They're putting up speed bumps for other developers. Because what could come out of E3 has the possibility to run everything else down.

There could also be similar games coming. Announcing their games first is just stregthening brand name recognition.

Maybe HVS has a history, but they have to try to grow out of that mold, right? Even painters start out copying other people's work before creating their own.

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
  • Score: 52
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2009, 11:31:23 AM »
looks bleh
Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).

Offline Deguello

• Cards makes me ill.
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2009, 11:40:34 AM »
Even world class developers started out making questionable things.

For example, Square started off making NES ripoffs of Sega arcade games.  Then they made Final Fantasy and a bunch of Ultima fanboys made fun of it.  Nintendo's first game before Donkey Kong was quite bleh, too.  RadarScope or something. 

Just because High Voltage they had to start out in the contract work doesn't mean they don't have talent.

And I totally agree with GoldenPhoenix, High Voltage, a "glorified port house," if you will, has totally shamed and faced major third parties on the market leader.  We shouldn't even be having this discussion.  The majors should have been able to crush this young upstart like a grape  Instead, they allowed High Voltage to grow unhindered by ignoring the largest userbase.  It's why High Voltage gets hype just for trying.
It's time you saw the future while you still have human eyes.

... and those eyes see a 3DS system code : 2750-1598-3807

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2009, 11:44:54 AM »
Call me a total pessimist, but when a glorified port house all the sudden is showing three new IPs they are working on simultaneously, I start to doubt their ability to execute.

Also, those don't look like screens at all to me... they look like mocked up concepts...

I could be wrong, but who knows.  At the very least I don't agree with this hype approach..... to me it reads like they aren't confident one of their games could stand on its own this E3 so they are taking the quantity approach.

By my eyes, those are all real-deal in-game shots.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2009, 11:53:10 AM »
Even world class developers started out making questionable things.

For example, Square started off making NES ripoffs of Sega arcade games.  Then they made Final Fantasy and a bunch of Ultima fanboys made fun of it.  Nintendo's first game before Donkey Kong was quite bleh, too.  RadarScope or something. 

Just because High Voltage they had to start out in the contract work doesn't mean they don't have talent.

And I totally agree with GoldenPhoenix, High Voltage, a "glorified port house," if you will, has totally shamed and faced major third parties on the market leader.  We shouldn't even be having this discussion.  The majors should have been able to crush this young upstart like a grape  Instead, they allowed High Voltage to grow unhindered by ignoring the largest userbase.  It's why High Voltage gets hype just for trying.

Outside of Motion Sports games and some key non-combative Horror titles, upcoming we have "major" "big-budget" yet justifiably niche Japanese projects (that people claim will turn Wii's fortunes around...) and a couple "audience-targetted" "accessible" ON-FREAKING-RAILS SHOOTERS.  3rd Excuse Makers have set themselves to allow smaller guys like HVS to appear as credible competition.

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2009, 11:55:12 AM »
Don't get me wrong, I'm not for a moment saying that they shouldn't try and break the mold to become a big time IP house....

I'm just saying that trying to do it with three different and new games at once comes off as fishy to me.

Pro, why do you think those look like the real deal?  They don't have any aliasing, HUD, or anything to make them look engine generated in my mind.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2009, 12:25:33 PM »
Don't get me wrong, I'm not for a moment saying that they shouldn't try and break the mold to become a big time IP house....

I'm just saying that trying to do it with three different and new games at once comes off as fishy to me.

Pro, why do you think those look like the real deal?  They don't have any aliasing, HUD, or anything to make them look engine generated in my mind.

If you can't go by looks, I'd go by historical precedent with Conduit, they didn't touch up the first images either with that game. I don't think HVS is into that stuff. In regards to making 3 games at once, Conduit has probably been mostly done for a few months with bug testing being their primary focus, their resources could be diverted elsewhere. Also do we have any idea how big they are? If they have a fairly big development team splitting duties it is very possible.

Also like Deg said, every company has to get their star somewhere and HVS got their money from making licensed stuff (If I recall few of them were "bad", more like average) which from everything I understand is a pain in the butt to do if you care about any kind of quality control.