Author Topic: !"$/!"&%$!"(%$!&$°! GIANA SISTERS DS!  (Read 7546 times)

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
!"$/!"&%$!"(%$!&$°! GIANA SISTERS DS!
« on: March 19, 2009, 04:00:33 PM »
Amazon link because that's where I've seen it
Holy hell, how did that come out (or at least get this close to release) without any media warning???
Now some people here may not be familiar with Giana Sisters so I'll explain it in short: You play one of the two sisters (uh, forgot their names), one for the first player (or only if you're playing alone) and one for the second. You move through a sidescrolling level, hit glowing yellow boxes with your head to make gems (100 of which mean 1up) and powerups appear, the first powerup lets you break bricks by hitting them with your head, the second lets you shoot fireballs. There are enemies, most of which are defeated by jumping on their heads... Sounds familiar? Yeah, Nintendo thought the same and actually sued over the game back in the C64 era.

Apparently this new game has new features too, the description talks about touchscreen and microphone interaction as well, apparently requiring you to blow into the mic when using that bubble you see on one screenshot. I'd dock a point for microphone use in principle. Also seems to have archievements because everybody's gotta have those now...

That "game profile" image says 5/5 dexterity, 2/5 logic and 3/5 bite, seems to be like those game descriptions you see on board game covers. Oh and 9/11 for difficulty. Yes, their scale goes to eleven.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
Re: !"$/!"&%$!"(%$!&$°! GIANA SISTERS DS!
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2009, 05:58:30 PM »
I've known about this for quite awhile, they talked about it a couple times on NVC a few months back. Isn' it the sequel to a Mario clone released during the late 80s?
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2009, 04:03:35 AM »
Yes. I heard a story that said that both Giana Sisters and Commander Keen were results of computer game companies offering to port SMB to their respective platforms but Nintendorefused the offers.  CK ended up with some major changes, GS with... less.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2009, 05:01:00 AM »
Yes. I heard a story that said that both Giana Sisters and Commander Keen were results of computer game companies offering to port SMB to their respective platforms but Nintendorefused the offers.  CK ended up with some major changes, GS with... less.

All this Keen talk makes me want to play all the old games. I still have the old floppy disks with them somewhere. Wasn't there a GBC/A game made for Keen?

Giana looks interesting. I was a bit surprised that the link led to the German Amazon site. Makes me wish I stuck with learning German. I searched for it on the US Amazon but it isn't listed there. Is this coming to the states? I wouldn't mind trying out a good Super Mario Brothers clone.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2009, 06:52:07 AM »
There was a GBC Keen game but AFAIK the people who bought it wish there wasn't.

Ah, got the official site: http://www.giana-sisters.com/giana_sisters_en.html
This one's in English too. Oh and there's a video. Seems Spellbound is involved and I think that's where Gessert (the maker of the original) works now. The commentary track says all the old devs are involved but I think there were only 2-3 of them and I'm not sure they still got Hülsbeck.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2009, 12:16:49 PM »

All this Keen talk makes me want to play all the old games. I still have the old floppy disks with them somewhere. Wasn't there a GBC/A game made for Keen?

Giana looks interesting. I was a bit surprised that the link led to the German Amazon site. Makes me wish I stuck with learning German. I searched for it on the US Amazon but it isn't listed there. Is this coming to the states? I wouldn't mind trying out a good Super Mario Brothers clone.

Dope Fish can DIE.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2009, 01:10:40 PM »
The Dopefish Lives!

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2009, 04:03:26 PM »

Dope Fish can DIE.

Was that the big fish that ate you in Keen 4 & 5? I hated that thing!

There was a GBC Keen game but AFAIK the people who bought it wish there wasn't.

Ah, got the official site: http://www.giana-sisters.com/giana_sisters_en.html
This one's in English too. Oh and there's a video. Seems Spellbound is involved and I think that's where Gessert (the maker of the original) works now. The commentary track says all the old devs are involved but I think there were only 2-3 of them and I'm not sure they still got Hülsbeck.

Thanks for the link.
My Game Collection

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2009, 04:05:43 PM »

YES. It scarred me for life when it came (comes) to water levels in games. Unlike time limits, water levels and dope fish DO SCARE ME.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2009, 04:14:37 PM »

YES. It scarred me for life when it came (comes) to water levels in games. Unlike time limits, water levels and dope fish DO SCARE ME.

Evil creature from Hell! That's what it is. I was scared of the game for a long time after it ate me. Water levels are evil places when big fish chase you and eat you. Mario had a similar fish. His name is dread.

And the reviews for the GBC Keen are pretty good on Amazon. it just seems that people looking for the exact same type of game unchanged were the ones who were disappointing in it.

I went to the Giana Sisters site. I couldn't find a trailer available. Is the game coming stateside soon or is it only coming out in Europe? It looks pretty neat, I like how it gives off old school PC platformer vibes. Some of those games were classic.
My Game Collection

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2009, 11:12:14 PM »
If the game has a decent Mario vs. Luigitype mode, then I'll get it!
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2009, 05:06:53 AM »
Doesn't look like it, they say it's 1 player only. No idea about a US release.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2009, 07:39:35 AM »
Well, I got it from Amazon today. Played through the first two worlds (20 levels) in what seemed like half an hour, only died once at the boss of world 2 and got hit once in one level. It was really damn easy so far though there's still 60 levels for the difficulty to ramp up in (and I sure hope it DOES). The levels are pretty short, about SMB1/3 size or possibly even shorter.

Instead of getting the punk ball to break blocks and THEN getting the lightning to shoot fireballs you only need the punk ball to get the fireballs which means you'll have them almost the whole time. They got somewhat of a nerf by being no longer bouncy, they drop pretty quickly and when they hit the ground disappear so you have to jump and shoot at the right height to hit an enemy that's not very close to you. The punk ball also acts as an extra hitpoint now (like Mario's mushroom) so you don't die instantly when you touch an enemy while you have it. All the other powerups were removed, the blocks that give you the punk ball give you 10 gems instead when you already have it. At least the first boss (he's in World 2, there was no boss in World 1 it seems) wasn't vulnerable to fireballs so they aren't a solution to EVERYTHING. The boss was fought in an arena like in SMB3 or SMW (but with a checkpoint at the entrance), not like in the original GS where there were just some really nasty enemies at the end of every fourth stage.

The gems are obviously still there (since they feature in the story), get 100 of them to get an extra life. There are a few (2-4 so far) red gems in each level, if you get all the red gems in a world you unlock the bonus level for it (there are 9 regular levels per world and the bonus level). Some were hidden but so far I've got them all. There are archievements but they seem pretty cookie-cutter, just stuff like "get 5000 gems" and "complete the game" though "complete the game without running out of lives" may have some merit (I'd prefer to see an archievement for "complete the game without using fireballs" and "pick up every blue gem in the game at least once" though).

Of the two advertised new powerups I've only seen one, the gumball. Gives you a bubble that makes you float until you touch any solid ground, nothing spectacular. The ads said you have to use the microphone to float but thankfully you can just use the jump button instead which may save you some dignity when playing in public.

The music is really what they advertised: Remixes of the songs from the original game. Seem kinda out of place on the DS and the remixing makes them feel less memorable. Then again it's a portable game so the sound doesn't matter much.

What I noticed was that I was wishing for a run button, Giana moves about as fast as Mario but there's no run button for extra speed. The physics feel like they were adjusted to make it easier to jump through small gaps, if you hit the corner of a block when jumping upwards you get pushed away a bit to get past it. May be exploitable for corner boosting in a speedrun...

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2009, 06:15:08 PM »
Okay, I'm in World 7 now, the difficulty went up somewhat though level size is fairly uneven, some are short, linear affairs while others are wide, exploration-y. There are no themes to the worlds, they all feel the same. The boss is always the same dragon, too damn easy (then again the game is based on an SMB1 clone so having the same boss in every world with minor differences is expected, right?). He gets a bit harder every time (or at least that's what the manual promises, while he gets more patterns and HP that doesn't really make him much harder) but you can still pretty much cheese him by jumping on him again as soon as his hitstun ends (fairly easy to estimate). While I haven't done more than 2-3 of those jumps in a row it still makes him a joke. Doresn't help that there are two blocks containing punk balls in the arena so even if you do get hit you can recover fairly quickly. I think they should have dropped those to force the player to beat him without much extra health. I've already accumulated so many extra lives (because gems are dealt out in huge numbers) it doesn't matter when I die and I suppose they could have dropped the lives system completely had the gems not been an important part of the GS appearance. Guess they could have turned them into some form of currency though. The only thing you seem to lose on a game over is any mid-level checkpoints (or at least that's what the manual says, never seen it myself), considering the size of the levels they could easily have made you start the whole world over. Oh and there's a score and a highscore table, seems pointless though since you can just replay any level you want and I don't think it just saves level scores and adds them up. Really doesn't look like there's any incentive to replay the game so far. Going for 100% is so easy that it can be done on the first run. The red gems are hidden but I found them pretty easy to find anyway. You often have to go through passable walls but there tend to be hints which ones are passable and if it's just the visible cave full of gems behind them.

I really think they should have separated the fireball from the punk ball (that way you'd also have more reason to search through blocks, once you have the punk ball all you get is gems anyway) and dialled down the gem numbers. The platforming might also be easy because of the collision handling, Giana is fairly wide and you can easily land on a very thin pillar even though it looks very difficult. I've had a case where I ended up standing on the corner of spikes too, may be a collision glitch that could be abused for a speedrun.

The game may have been intended for younger audiences, a bit weird considering it probably appeals more to the nostalgic C64 gamers. Much easier than the original and not just because you can take more hits, some levels include segments from the original game and in the one depicting level3 from the original the bouncing ball that always gave me trouble as a kid got removed (and it was in World 6 or so, the THIRD LEVEL from the original, it had something like 40 levels!). Occassionally I got the feel that they backpedalled on something, e.g. one castle level had a gem between two very hard to eliminate enemies with a cola bottle dispenser and the clue that the bottle can push enemies but the gem was blue with a red gem placed in the open a bit behind that.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2009, 06:01:49 AM »
There are reviews from Australia on Metacritic, I suppose that means it's out there. I don't know any Australian game store websites so I can't check.

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2009, 12:07:36 PM »
Playing this without a massive Wico bat joystick just wouldn't be right.
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline RABicle

• Used to be The Finisher
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Pietriots
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2009, 04:36:49 AM »
There are reviews from Australia on Metacritic, I suppose that means it's out there. I don't know any Australian game store websites so I can't check.
Aussie-Nintendo were giving copies away.
DVD Crave (post internationally) will start selling it on Wednesday
Pietriots  - Post ironic gaming log.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2010, 04:48:42 AM »
It's now on the iTunes App Store, 4€, no idea what that means in USD. If you can bear playing with touch controls only that would be the way to get it for you people living in the regions where it hasn't been released yet.