Author Topic: Humble Bundle Expands To eShop  (Read 7302 times)

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
Humble Bundle Expands To eShop
« on: May 26, 2015, 07:29:00 AM »

A whole bunch of indie hits at a low price.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/40308/humble-bundle-expands-to-eshop

Through June 9 at 1pm ET, North American eShoppers will be able to pay what you want for a group of eShop games and support charity as well through the Humble Bundle.

The bundle offers a pay-what-you-want system where by paying the minimum (at least $1 US), you receive a bundle of games with the proceeds split between the developers and charity. Further items in the bundle can be unlocked by beating the average donation at the time of purchase, or by paying at or over a certain amount (in this case, $10 US). The Nintendo bundle supports code.org, a charity that looks to introduce young people around the world to computer science.

The original bundle offers for any donation of $1 or more:

• Guacamelee: Super Turbo Championship Edition (Wii U)
  • Woah Dave! (3DS)
  • Mighty Switch Force (3DS)

Beating the average donation unlocks three additional games:

• The Fall (Wii U)
  • OlliOlli (Wii U and 3DS)
  • Moon Chronicles episode 1 (3DS)
  • "More games coming soon"

A donation of $10 or more will also unlock:

• Stealth Inc 2: A Game Of Clones (Wii U)
  • SteamWorld Dig (Wii U and 3DS)

Article updated per reader feedback to provide additional information about the Humble Bundle process and code.org.

Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
Re: Humble Bundle Expands To eShop
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2015, 02:32:04 PM »
Wow.  This is a very progressive type of sale.

And this is Nintendo, right?
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Mythtendo

• My rims never spin, to the contrary, you'll find that they're quite stationary
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2015, 02:51:53 PM »
Very tempting, especially for what $10 can get

Offline TOPHATANT123

• Wear a hat that's foil lined in case an alien's inclined to probe your butt or read your mind
  • Score: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2015, 03:58:24 PM »
This is incredible value, however it is only for the US. So not only is Nintendo's region locking policies harming their own profits, it has now harmed charities. I would love to give you my money Nintendo but you just don't want it.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2015, 04:03:05 PM »
You know you can still give money to the charity without expecting something in return, right?

I dislike region locking as well, but I can't get behind the idea that it is hurting charities.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2015, 05:46:44 PM »
Well, they have my $10.

I already bought OlliOlli for Wii U and 3DS earlier. If anyone wants either of them, just holler!

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2015, 05:48:46 PM »
This is incredible value, however it is only for the US. So not only is Nintendo's region locking policies harming their own profits, it has now harmed charities. I would love to give you my money Nintendo but you just don't want it.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)

Offline geckog7

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2015, 05:58:15 PM »
I think a Nintendo Humble Bundle is fantastic! Bought one code for myself and sent one to my sister!

Offline Leo13

• Score: 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2015, 06:42:20 PM »
I'll buy 1 or 2 of them. I wonder what that last game will be

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2015, 06:54:27 PM »
Wow, what a fantastic deal for gamers. I own most of the games... but this is still a nice discount for just the couple that I'm missing.

On the less positive side, does a sale like this mean they have written off getting any money from these games otherwise?  Seems like a sign that eShop sales have flatlined...
NNID: ejamer

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2015, 07:11:55 PM »
You forgot to put this image at the end of your post.

Offline Penguin_Of_Thyme

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2015, 07:16:39 PM »
Wow, what a fantastic deal for gamers. I own most of the games... but this is still a nice discount for just the couple that I'm missing.

On the less positive side, does a sale like this mean they have written off getting any money from these games otherwise?  Seems like a sign that eShop sales have flatlined...

Good word of mouth generated now can lead to additional sales long after this humble bundle deal is over.
Jared Rosenberg
Video Producer, Nintendo World Report

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2015, 07:21:34 PM »

Good word of mouth generated now can lead to additional sales long after this humble bundle deal is over.
Plus it means I'll feel obliged to pay more considering what I'm getting as a value, which is good for all parties involved.

Offline kokumaker

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2015, 07:23:34 PM »
How does tho work? I pay $10 and they send me download codes for each of these games? I already have some of them, but would happily gift away some codes I don't need.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2015, 07:45:09 PM »
You know you can still give money to the charity without expecting something in return, right?

I dislike region locking as well, but I can't get behind the idea that it is hurting charities.
You guys are being far too harsh and holding people at a far too high of a standard. Even when one gives and gets nothing directly back in return, one gives because because they want to feel good. Demanding people be completely altruistic about giving is unrealistic hence why most successful charity drives always has a token that a person can wear like a Poppy, "Insert colour" ribbon, bracelets, the acknowledgement from the little thank you and smile said on the spot or the letter thanking you for your support. Why do you think Humble Bundle has a leader board for donations?

Region locking is already something aggravating and profit limiting. Having it pointed out on such an international site points out the absurdity of it all, with charity being an aggravating factor. You can't make a sale if you're not selling it.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2015, 07:51:12 PM »
I don't disagree that most people donate for a prize rather than the cause.

My issue is acting as if Nintendo is actively hurting charities because this promotion is only good in one region.  Would we say that Sony is hurting charities because the Sony Bundle is available in zero regions?

If you want to complain about region locking, by all means, do so.  For the most part, I'm on your side (I'd prefer a system where publishers are given 100% freedom to choose).  But to try and tie it to charity?  Naw, you lost me.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2015, 08:00:30 PM »
I am one of those people who are outside of the stated regions and it lost me. Even if I gave I can't even wear the tokens given by adding it to my library of games. Sure compared to Sony's current score of Zero looks great, but compared to every other bundle that doesn't have such arbitrary limitations, it's hurting the efforts to raise money.

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2015, 08:02:59 PM »

You guys are being far too harsh and holding people at a far too high of a standard. Even when one gives and gets nothing directly back in return, one gives because because they want to feel good. Demanding people be completely altruistic about giving is unrealistic hence why most successful charity drives always has a token that a person can wear like a Poppy, "Insert colour" ribbon, bracelets, the acknowledgement from the little thank you and smile said on the spot or the letter thanking you for your support. Why do you think Humble Bundle has a leader board for donations?
To be fair my reaction was mostly to test something in the forum to article view transfer (it succeeded).
Region locking is already something aggravating and profit limiting. Having it pointed out on such an international site points out the absurdity of it all, with charity being an aggravating factor. You can't make a sale if you're not selling it.
And in the case of Stealth Inc 2 they aren't selling it in Japan.  Are they supposed to find an alternative game or just put a generic 'availability may vary by region' blurb and hope for the best.

I'd be more annoyed that Nintendo seems to have made (based on my quick glance at the eshop page) 0 effort to publicize this whole thing. No matter what level of involvement they have in this it wouldn't kill them to put a thing on those eshop announcements nobody reads.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2015, 08:10:04 PM »
You can just give double to the next PC bundle offered then. ;)

I don't give to charity so that I can wear a badge showing I gave to a charity, so this idea isn't something I can get behind.  If you want to give to charity, there are plenty of options and plenty that give you various trinkets for doing so.

If you want in on a deal, and it isn't offered to you, then you can (and, sometimes, should) complain to these offering the deal.

But the only thing stopping you from giving money to charity is you.  "But, I won't give to charity without getting something in return!" - that's not giving.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2015, 08:18:49 PM »
I am not saying you can't give without expecting something in return, that is the highest ideal of charity, but as I said before, you are holding people to a too high of standard and being pragmatic about it gets more money to charities. Even charities themselves give expecting a little something back whether it be publicity for the cause or the general improvement of society.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2015, 08:43:18 PM »
How does tho work? I pay $10 and they send me download codes for each of these games? I already have some of them, but would happily gift away some codes I don't need.

They sent me a link to a special page where you get the list of games, each one having "Generate Code" beside a box. Click the button, get the code and off you go.

I checked the "Top Sellers" links on both eShops and all of the bundle games are page 1. People who don't know about this will see that and click through to hopefully buy at full price.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2015, 10:10:45 PM »
If I pay full price now, does that mean I will also get "more games coming soon" when they finally update?
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2015, 10:16:30 PM »

They sent me a link to a special page where you get the list of games, each one having "Generate Code" beside a box. Click the button, get the code and off you go.

This was also my experience.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2015, 10:49:10 PM »
Even if i can't use it myself, the mere fact that this is happening at all is a good thing.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2015, 11:02:00 PM »
If I pay full price now, does that mean I will also get "more games coming soon" when they finally update?
If you beat the average you will get the extra games as they are announced. The current average is below $10 so if you want everything, right now $10+ is the way to go.