Author Topic: Xenoblade Chronicles - Impressions  (Read 41778 times)

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
Re: Xenoblade Chronicles - Impressions
« Reply #50 on: September 07, 2011, 12:56:00 PM »
Answer: Level up. Bad idea though, I'm now over 40 hours in and just hit level 50. I just don't think it's possible.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 07, 2011, 02:29:46 PM »
Sounds like there are quests in there for some kind of Play through Plus mode after you beat the game.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Shorty McNostril

• Blue text is gone :(
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 07, 2011, 04:05:05 PM »
OK.  So I have just started making my way to the Bionis Head and Dunban has just joined my team  I'm sitting around level 29. 

I have to say this is the most involved in a game that I have been for quite a while.  I am enjoying it quite a lot.  It's all pretty user friendly when you get used to how the battles work. 

As for a point you mentioned earlier KDR, about feeling like you are just contributing to the battle rather than leading it, I prefer it that way.  It actually feels like my team are pulling their weight rather than just stealing my oxygen.  And usually they aren't too stupid when we are fighting. 

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 08, 2011, 06:12:21 AM »
Yeah, mostly I have only minor issues with the party AI though it can get really annoying when Shulk decides to use the Buster instead of Enchant while fighting mechons (leaving the rest of the party to do 1 damage per attack until Shulk's special ability has recharged from zero). Fortunately ether spells seem to work on mechons even without Enchant so I can still play a spellcaster even with the AI handling Shulk.

Also when equipping stuff the C button is your friend, sort it by the stat you want to optimize your gear for.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 08, 2011, 02:26:58 PM »
Man, I just got the seventh character and boy did they throw a ton of new mechanics in for him. He uses a completely separate set of gear, armor can come in four varieties changing his class and the shoes are actually secondary weapons that determine the special attack he has. I read elsewhere that that's maybe the 75% point of the game so this is a really late addition considering all the extra rules.

Offline Mannypon

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 12, 2011, 02:49:53 AM »
Finally recieved my copy sometime last week and I haven't been able to pry myself away from this game since. Its been a while that a game has had me playing at least for 1 hr even after pulling a double shift from work and knowing that I have to be up in another 6 hrs to put in another double shift.  I'm loving everything about this game.  Its taken what the Jrpg genre and added everything I love of the western rpgs.  I was in the first area of the game for nearly 5hrs and I still want to go back and take care of a few enemies that I couldn't handle before.

One thing I will say though is that I think this game has probably the best intro to a Jrpg that I've ever played.  Usually Jrpg start you off slow with little action but the sh*t hits the fan fairly quick in this game lol.  Anyway, just had to pop on here real quick to throw my support at the game.  Heading off now to get in some more hours lol.

Offline Scatt-Man

• Score: -5
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 12, 2011, 03:02:52 AM »
Still waiting for ze Zavvi copy to arrive. August 15th is when it was dispatched. *Sigh* Another dude in Australia who lives in Melbourne, 1,000km south of me, recieved his a week ago. *Sigh*...*sigh* Damn British mail. >_>

Offline Shorty McNostril

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 13, 2011, 02:51:21 AM »
It's easier to go buy it from a shop. :P

Offline Scatt-Man

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 13, 2011, 10:03:07 AM »
Yeah, but importing is so much cheaper. And I was stupidly convinced I'd recieve the game long before the 15 days it took between the release difference of the two regions.

I guess I'll wait for the recommended 30 - 35 day limit before querying Zavvi on where da funk mah gamez is! That'll be in 3 - 8 days' time. I need a hug, dudes... *hugs monitor*

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 13, 2011, 10:12:28 AM »
Yeah, but importing is so much cheaper. And I was stupidly convinced I'd recieve the game long before the 15 days it took between the release difference of the two regions.

I guess I'll wait for the recommended 30 - 35 day limit before querying Zavvi on where da funk mah gamez is! That'll be in 3 - 8 days' time. I need a hug, dudes... *hugs monitor*
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline Scatt-Man

• View Profile
« Reply #60 on: September 13, 2011, 12:38:43 PM »
Nnbaww!! :)

So I go to my mailing address every day, but not 'til midnight, right? Right. SUCCEESS! It's finally here! It's got 'Priority A' written on it, so I wonder if somethin' happened...

Heh, too bad I started playing FFXII for the first time just 24 hours ago. Emulation with fast forwarding is a wonderful thing with RPGs, y'know? I feel I won't get Xeno's maxmimum enjoyment-stuffs if I were to start right now...maybe.*Sits Xenoblade on shelf whilst staring sternly at the British mail system.*

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 13, 2011, 12:56:46 PM »
Nnbaww!! :)

So I go to my mailing address every day, but not 'til midnight, right? Right. SUCCEESS! It's finally here! It's got 'Priority A' written on it, so I wonder if somethin' happened...

Heh, too bad I started playing FFXII for the first time just 24 hours ago. Emulation with fast forwarding is a wonderful thing with RPGs, y'know? I feel I won't get Xeno's maxmimum enjoyment-stuffs if I were to start right now...maybe.*Sits Xenoblade on shelf whilst staring sternly at the British mail system.*
...and thus another case of Lindermann syndrome begins to blossom.

I also believe it was the ponies.

Offline Scatt-Man

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 13, 2011, 01:11:20 PM »
*Looks at untouched copy of Little King's Story*

Yeah, but it's emulation. Free!

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 13, 2011, 01:14:58 PM »
*Looks at untouched copy of Little King's Story*

Yeah, but it's emulation. Free!
Really?  Do you think that copy of Little King's Story would be untouched if it was truly free?

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 13, 2011, 01:51:59 PM »

Just go play Xenoblade and you'll Lindemann FFXII instead.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 13, 2011, 02:17:20 PM »

Just go play Xenoblade and you'll Lindemann FFXII instead.
He didn't pay for it.

Offline Scatt-Man

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 13, 2011, 02:49:55 PM »
Yeah, I doubt I'd ever be able to go through what I've already done on FFXII again were I to move onto Xenoblade. And Little King's Story is a retail copy. ROMs and ISOs are just throwaways, usually resulting in much less fun than otherwise would've been the case had you paid cash-moneys for the game.

*10 minutes into a slow starting game through emulation* "Bah, I'm done!" *delete*
*10 minutes into a $60 game* "This'd better get better soon, considering I spent moneys on it." *soldiers on*

Oh right, Xenoblade... I don't even want to take it out of the shipping envelope. The pressue, ya know? Good news, though! FFXII's Mimic Dungeon-thingy place's shadows didn't like the emulator very much, causing the area to become completely garbled for a good five minutes. Was the emulator triyng to give me a hint? :3 I ploughed through it though. *has a little cry*

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 24, 2011, 12:34:11 PM »
I'm gonna declare a victory for good taste. Xenoblade has a higher Metacritic score than Gears of War 3.

Offline Shorty McNostril

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 24, 2011, 06:11:53 PM »
Just started playing again.  Got a bit slack for a week.  Just got to the Eareth (sp?) Sea.  DAMN IT IS HUGE!!!!!

As much as I love the idea of large open environments, why can't they at least put something to do as you swim, and swim, and swim, and swim, and swim, and swim around the ginormous area.  I've been swimming around the perimeter for about a half hour and I'm only a bit over half way around.  I still have to go through all the middle yet.

But yeah, still enjoying the hell out of the game. 

Offline Shorty McNostril

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 01, 2011, 03:06:35 AM »
Damn, this game just keeps. on. going.  That is awesome.  I just finished the prison Island chapter and assumed that would be the end of the game.  And then it just keeps going again.  And is really showing no signs of slowing down.

This is well worth a purchase. 

I really hope NOA does change their mind.  I really feel sorry for all our North American friends.  There has just been so much detail and effort put into this game.  Hopefully Nintendo take a leaf out of Monolith's book and start putting this kind of effort into Wii U console and game development.

Offline Scatt-Man

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 01, 2011, 05:14:14 AM »
I'm also curious as to when this game actually wraps up. I'm on a beach, deserted with someone after something kinda big happened. ~60 hours I think I've put into it so far. :3

Offline Sundoulos

• My mascot is a type of toxic algae
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 01, 2011, 04:45:02 PM »
Sigh...I'm ready to get started on it.  I'm just waiting for my copy to arrive in the mail!
"A creature revolting against a creator is revolting against the source of his own powers--including even his power to revolt...It is like the scent of a flower trying to destroy the flower." - C.S. Lewis, in a preface to Milton's Paradise Lost

Offline Shorty McNostril

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 01, 2011, 06:09:42 PM »
I'm also curious as to when this game actually wraps up. I'm on a beach, deserted with someone after something kinda big happened. ~60 hours I think I've put into it so far. :3

That is exactly where I am up to.  The story is so involving in this game.  I love the characters too.

Online broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 07, 2011, 09:41:28 PM »
Against, perhaps, my better judgement considering how loaded this Fall is with games, I just finished ordering Xenoblade from Zaavi based on James' recommendation.  The site says it'll ship within 24 hours, but taking their 15 days into account for importing I expect I'll probably have this game the week of the 17th.  With Arkham City coming out that week, I don't know when I'll get to playing this but I'm looking forward to it.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Shorty McNostril

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 08, 2011, 11:19:01 PM »
Put aside a LOT of time for it.  I have just passed 110 hours and I still don't know how much further I have to go.