Author Topic: EA Confirms Accelerometer Rumors  (Read 12224 times)

Offline SS4Gogita

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
EA Confirms Accelerometer Rumors
« on: April 28, 2006, 05:12:23 PM »
For a second time in as many days, John Schappert divulges some juicy tidbits concerning the Wii version of Madden.

In an interview with IGN today, EA Canada's head honcho John Schappert indirectly confrimed on two separate occasions that the Wii's nunchuck attachment does indeed include an accelerometer and will even be used in the game.    

IGN Wii: Does you use the trigger buttons on the nunchuck unit?    

John Schappert: You know, the buttons are all still being mapped out. It does use the trigger buttons right now. I don't know how much we'll have locked in for you at E3 because we are still working on the final button layout, but it does use the trigger buttons, and it does use the accelerometer in the nunchuck unit as well for juking.    

IGN Wii: Perfect. Could you just for clarification purposes give us an idea of how a typical play might work using the controllers?    

John Schappert: So, you take the controller, jerk it up to snap. Quarterback now has the ball. Your passing icons are now up. Take the wand controller and you'll see that the four directions on its D-Pad represent four of your receivers; the A button is your fifth receiver. Point to one of those receivers that you want to receive the ball and with your hand gesture a throwing motion to pass. Now, the harder you throw, the more that's going to be a bullet pass. The softer and the more you lob a throw, the more that it's going to be a lob. When you receive the ball, you run with the analog stick on the nunchuck and if you want to juke, you use the nunchuck to gesture it. And if you want to stiff-arm, you use the wand.

Schappert also confirmed that an online mode was being worked on and should be ready by the launch of Wii.  You can check out the full interview by clicking here.

::Vincent Anderson
::Staff Writer
Planet GameCube

Offline AManatee2

• View Profile
RE:EA Confirms Accelerometer Rumors
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2006, 05:53:47 PM »
wow.

this sounds freaking awesome.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
RE: EA Confirms Accelerometer Rumors
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2006, 05:59:18 PM »
Fantastic, now this one can pulled off the rumour list...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Artimus

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2006, 06:05:18 PM »
This is a WONDERFUL interview, I hope everyone reads it. The first time in months someone didn't sidestep real questions.

This could be such an amazing E3. I particularly like how he said the Tiberion team were impressed with the Wii's graphics.

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
  • Score: 52
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2006, 06:09:39 PM »
If Wii can actually make me want to play a Madden game, anything is possible.
Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).

Offline trip1eX

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2006, 06:28:38 PM »
EA also said they were going to use forcefeedback in the passing game.    

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2006, 06:31:15 PM »
seriously dasmos....i usually hate sports games because their too retarded for me to figure out but this one seems so intuitive that i wouldnt mind playing it...dont know if i'd actually run out and by it.
and F*CK im pissed. i just finished reading that interview for the hell of it to see if EA actually was doing something unique for Wii and thought that maybe PGC didnt catch it (since no one here seems to care about EA) and had something new to bring to the table. i was on earlier today and this wasnt updated so i was stoked...now i feel like a fool

i hope thats not nintendos "one final secret that will blow you away" cuz even though its good news, its not particularly mind blowing. if they anounced that before the motiong sensing controls of the remote, then it would of been better news.
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Jensen

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2006, 06:37:07 PM »
I don't see why an accelerometer is needed in the nunchuck unit.  The only way that I see dual motion control being practical is if that is all you're doing, such as in a drumming game, or when using a sword and shield, and in those cases, two revmotes seems like a better idea.

Each hand controlling two sets of directional controls seems overly complicated.  

Offline Artimus

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2006, 06:53:52 PM »
Two sources (one Nintendo, one from GameInformer I think) have said the accelerometer isn't the final secret. Besides, they wouldn't let it leak this close if it was.

Offline trip1eX

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2006, 06:59:56 PM »
I think the accelerometer in the nunchuk could be used in a boxing game too.  And that would be sweet because it seemingly eliminates the need for a 2nd remote.  

Also the beauty of the gyros in the nunchuk is the functionality is invisible to the beginner.  It keeps everything looking simple while underneath there's a lot of functionality if needed.

Basically putting this stuff in the nunchuk gives it the potential functionality of at least another 4 buttons or so.  Alot more if it can also do gestures.  

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2006, 07:17:33 PM »
Oh yeah, 480p confirmed in that interview...

(Where are you, ruby_onix? )
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Shecky

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2006, 07:27:45 PM »
Hurray for frame rates! - "As for graphics, we'll be showing Madden in 480p and 16x9 widescreen mode running at 60 frames per second. I think it looks great."

The nunchuk isn't as precise but I sounds like it can detect some basic movement, which could be used in clever ways.

FPS: Keep you gun trained in a location as you use the nunchuk to open and/or push open a door.  Such an action doesn't need precision.

Offline Shecky

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2006, 07:29:44 PM »

Originally posted by: Bill Aurion
Oh yeah, 480p confirmed in that interview...

(Where are you, ruby_onix? )

Was it ever in question?  I mean it had no doubt that I could do it... The big question would be how hard Nintendo makes getting the darn cables again.

Edit:
I mean it had no doubt that I could do it.... should be
I mean I had no doubt that it could do it ... wait that should be
I mean I had no doubt that Wii could do it...    

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2006, 07:32:52 PM »
Nice interview. Now the only thing I want to know is if I can use a CRT monitor to play my Wii games to take full advantage of the 480p at least.

Offline ATimson

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2006, 07:34:17 PM »

Originally posted by: Shecky
The big question would be how hard Nintendo makes getting the darn cables again.

Seeing as how they've been using the same AV cables for three systems, I suspect that it'll use the same digital out as the GameCube had. So, for you, getting the cables will be quite easy.

Grr. Argh.

Offline Shecky

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2006, 07:45:49 PM »

Originally posted by: ATimson

The big question would be how hard Nintendo makes getting the darn cables again.

Seeing as how they've been using the same AV cables for three systems, I suspect that it'll use the same digital out as the GameCube had. So, for you, getting the cables will be quite easy.

That would make my day... although I expect that they plan on marrying the two cables.  Standard A/V and Component.  Having two ports just adds cost.  The D connector has 22 pins which should be enough to carry both types of video and sound.

What that means is that I envision having to buy another cable, as the GCN cable only has video (I expect a Wii version that has video and audio)

Diagram of what I expect:

D Connector <-----> Composite (Yellow RCA), SVideo, Audio (Red/White RCA);  I expect that to be bundled likely.

D Connector <-----> Component (Blue,Green,Red RCA), Audio (Red,White RCA)

Edit: The GCN version of the cable has also been discontinued... this could be b/c the future Wii version of the cable will work with the GCN, but not the other way around.

Offline Jensen

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2006, 07:55:58 PM »
I'd like cables without a proprietary connector, so I can just use my own.

Offline Shecky

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2006, 07:59:10 PM »

Originally posted by: Jensen
I'd like cables without a proprietary connector, so I can just use my own.

They use it to save money (and space).

Offline Griffin

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2006, 08:34:53 PM »

Edit: The GCN version of the cable has also been discontinued... this could be b/c the future Wii version of the cable will work with the GCN, but not the other way around.

Actually, I don't think they are. I just got some myself about a month ago. However, they were backordered for like 3-4 months (they gave me a sweet discount, which ended up being cheaper /w tax and shipping than the original pre-tax/shipping price), so it's possible they discontinued it AFTER I had placed my order.
INCONCEIVABLE!!!

AC Info:

Name: Mike
Town: PhatCave

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2006, 08:44:29 PM »
Definately a promising interview, if EA is willing to revamp their Madden franchise for Wii, than anything is possible! The future looks even more bright for Nintendo's Wii!
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2006, 08:48:09 PM »
At E3 last year, the only output jack on the Revolution (as it was called then!  and still is in my heart) was the D-port that GameCube used for component video.  So I think that port can definitely handle both audio and 480p video.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline soracloudtidus

• snes owns and all of you know it
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2006, 09:47:13 PM »
Well to anyone who still hasn't  read it go read it now!!! It's one of  those few interviews you read that has honest answers. Reading this interview got me interested in checking out that Madden game, and the only football game I 've played was NFL BLitz but I'm not a big fan of football. This is just what the Wii console needs, unique games, unique experiences with games so you can attract the casual gamers and if this game comes at launch it will be a super Hit for the Wii.Reading that they are also working on other projects makes me feel very happy as a FPS or even RTS games can be unique experiences on the Wii. I just hope game companies try as hard as EA is doing and not try to milk money the easy way by porting games only. I wonder how a MMORPG could be played on Wii, I hope the big N makes a MMORPG on the Wii, but that's another topic for another day..or another topic.
Currently Playing: WoW, New Super Mario Bros,Legend of Zelda: Phanton Hourglass

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2006, 10:27:54 PM »
Wow, that was a good interview. How weird. I'm not a big fan of Madden or EA, but jeeze, I think they might both turn out to be pretty good on the Revolution.  

Offline Termin8Anakin

• Auuuu =\
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2006, 10:50:38 PM »
I was just sittin here wondering what the f**k an accelerometer was.

I googled it, and hot DAMN am I excited now, and it's in the nunchuck one, no less!
When did rumours of this device even start anyway? I had never heard of it till now.
Comin at ya with High Level Course Language and Violence

Offline ruby_onix

• Obsessive Sailormoon Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2006, 11:05:21 PM »

Was it ever in question?

After getting burned twice by Revolution resolution assumptions (HDTV and SVGA, not counting the holograms), I thought people were a little too quick to jump all over the remaining best-case scenerio. Especially with there being question marks around the issue (the single undefined output port, and Nintendo's half-hearted GameCube-era support).

I wanted specs before I'd accept it as fact. But people like Bill said specs didn't matter, and that I should turn in my Nintendo Fanboy Card if I didn't automatically believe the best things about Nintendo.

I find it funny that EA was the one to finally confirm it, not Nintendo. Maybe a few days before Nintendo might've given us some limited specs.

And in case I haven't met my negativity quota for the week...

IGN Wii: You mentioned that Madden runs in progressive-scan and widescreen modes. Is this something you've been encouraged to do by Nintendo or are these visual options you have pursued on your own?

John Schappert: I won't say that Nintendo so much encourages us. Any help we ask for it certainly gives us. That's just something we're doing.

Poor people should eat wheat!
I'm about to go punk up some 3rd parties so they don't release games on other hardware, ciao!
- Ken Kutaragi