Author Topic: Iwata Promises Cheap Games  (Read 16754 times)

Offline brian577

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
RE: Iwata Promises Cheap Games
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2006, 02:29:35 PM »
I wonder what formats would be supported, would Nintendo require the HD to use a proprietary format or something standard like FAT32, Rev probably won't be compatible with HFS+, so using a Mac formated drive will probably be out of the question.  What about using WiFi to transport it to a PC HD?

Offline BigJim

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2006, 02:43:45 PM »
I shop at NewEgg a lot. LOL. I'm a geek. Cheapest internal and external 80GB HDDs on Newegg are $47 and $80 respectively.  Cheapest 40GB HDDs is $42/$75. But you're right that buying an HDD and enclosure separately is cheaper. Done that before myself. Not declaring a rule, just using an "ish".

I think it's important we all not take Iwata's quote out of context. He says any type of storage CAN be used, but it doesn't mean it will be. It's just a possibility.  
"wow."

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2006, 03:29:33 PM »
Firewire is nice.  It's faster and is a nonbus system so no matter how much you add to it it will keep it's speed.

I'm betting that the internal 512 is reserved for Nintendo and Developers.  Games could go through a key process when copied over that involved your Rev Freind Code.  Since Nintendo gives those they can make sure there unique.  Then when you go to another Rev you can unlock it by your Freind Code and a password.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline KirbySStar

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2006, 03:57:11 PM »
What happens if just in theory your Rev breaks?  How do you get all those games you downloaded again?  I think Nintendo would have to have people make accounts so they don't have to buy those games all over again.

Offline Djunknown

• HEY! HEY! LISTEN!
    • View Profile
RE:Iwata Promises Cheap Games
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2006, 04:07:51 PM »

"I really don't think that there's going to be a lot of acceptance by current customers of the $60 price tag. They may allow that for a limited number of premium titles, but not all."

Amen. Heavy hitters like Elder Scrolls IV have the right to be 60 USD, but something like Rumble Roses XX should be current gen price (If not less...).

As far as flexible storage is concerned, it sounds too good to be true for the time being. I have to hear more. (e3 no doubt.)

One other way publishers are trying to control costs these days is by including advertising in games. It's a controversial move, one that has riled many core gamers. Iwata said he has tracked the trend, but admits it confuses him somewhat

The companies that do that still charge the same prices, they're not passing the savings on to the consumer. Its bullsh1t from here to infinity.

"We do not deny the possibility that Nintendo will be doing something like this in the future," he said. "Personally, though, I don't really think it's going to be a significant source of revenue to our industry."

Mario Party 8 brought to you in part by....
Ma ma sa, ma ma coo sa
Ma ma se, ma ma sa,
Ma ma coo sa

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2006, 05:13:24 PM »
MS doesn't allow this diverse storage potential because they wouldn't be able to suck the consumer dry through their own brand hardware in order to make up alot of their losses from the system itself. This is what makes Nintendo systems great, since they don't have much need to make up losses on each system sold, they can open things up a bit!
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2006, 05:15:39 PM »
I think some are fogetting the potential of this announcement, we may very well see DC and Saturn games available for Rev now since storage is no longer a problem!

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2006, 05:18:20 PM »
Indeed we may VGRevolution 'cause i just read on IGN that Iwata said that new partners for the VC have joined after GDC and they will reveal them in the future (E3 I guess).

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2006, 05:42:14 PM »

Originally posted by: jasonditz

Firewire ports only cost like a quarter per system, so they're not prohibitively expensive. The minor speed difference between the two probably isn't worth the hassle (if they're not bothering to put ethernet ports on the thing), but it would've been nice since I already own the firewire drive.

USB2 would be about on par and it uses the same connector as all USB devices. It may wind up requiring USB2 devices, which are still pretty damn cheap and flexible.

USB 2.0 has a raw data rate at 480Mbps, and it is rated 40 times faster than its predecessor interface, USB 1.1, which tops at 12Mbps. Originally, USB 2.0 was intended to go only as fast as 240Mbps, but in October 1999, USB 2.0 Promoter Group pumped up the speed to 480Mbps.

source

Firewire is still technically faster, but not by a whole lot.

---------

Performance Comparison - FireWire vs. USB 2.0
    Read and write tests to the same IDE hard drive connected using FireWire and then USB 2.0 show:

Read Test:

5000 files (300 MB total) FireWire was 33% faster than USB 2.0
160 files (650MB total) FireWire was 70% faster than USB 2.0
       Write Test:

5000 files (300 MB total) FireWire was 16% faster than USB 2.0
160 files (650MB total) FireWire was 48% faster than USB 2.0

source

USB2 would be MORE than fast enough for the Rev to load data off it for gaming purposes.  
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline jasonditz

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2006, 06:11:53 PM »
Honestly, USB 1.1 would probably be plenty. I just think throwing in firewire and giving us a choice would've been a nice touch... much like throwing in an ethernet port. That stuff costs virtually nothing and it add versatility.

Speaking of which, I've got a 1.1 USB Zip drive, I wonder if that'd be supported.

Offline jasonditz

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2006, 06:16:19 PM »

Originally posted by: KirbySStar
What happens if just in theory your Rev breaks?  How do you get all those games you downloaded again?  I think Nintendo would have to have people make accounts so they don't have to buy those games all over again.

Pray to God they don't take the iTunes route in this instance. Having to rebuy them all would not be a popular decision.

Offline ruby_onix

• Obsessive Sailormoon Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2006, 07:19:40 PM »

"I cannot imagine any first party title could be priced for more than $50."

First party Nintendo titles are typically $5-10 cheaper than third party titles, because Nintendo is somehow able to get their games printed without paying a royalty.

So this obviously confirms that Rev games will be $60.  
Poor people should eat wheat!
I'm about to go punk up some 3rd parties so they don't release games on other hardware, ciao!
- Ken Kutaragi

Offline WuTangTurtle

• aka ShaolinKilla
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2006, 07:21:53 PM »
ah, thank Iwata san!  Cheaper games means more people will be willing to buy games they haven't heard much about.  Like he pointed out big games like GTA, Zelda, Halo and what not will be snatched up for $60 or so, but new original content won't make sales untill they hit that $29.99 price point.

Heck some people aren't willing to spend that much for name brand games!  Today at work a guy wanted "Ultimate Spiderman", i told him it was 60% off (Sam Goody Store Closing) and he said "Wow so how much is it then?", I replied back "$19.99" and he tells me "oh, well no thanks!".

Seriously if a game like that can't sell for $20, no wonder devs won't even take a chance on original games.

Oh and the storage thing is music to my ears!  I have a 250gb external hard drive and oddly enough i bet the Rev and the HD are going to look beautiful next to each other...........hmm i think the Rev might actually be the same size, lol, and it would look cool with both of them on their stands!

Offline BigJim

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 29, 2006, 07:30:47 PM »

Originally posted by: BigJim
I think it's important we all not take Iwata's quote out of context. He says any type of storage CAN be used, but it doesn't mean it will be. It's just a possibility.

Super bubble burst power, activate!
"wow."

Offline Artimus

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 29, 2006, 08:35:25 PM »
Can someone explain to me why most first-party DS games cost MORE than third party?

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 29, 2006, 09:57:46 PM »

Originally posted by: Artimus
Can someone explain to me why most first-party DS games cost MORE than third party?

Hehe, that is something I've been wondering. Remember Nintendo stating that in America first party would be 29.99? Seems to me that NIntendo has pulled a sneaky trick on all of us suckers, raising the prices 34.95, but hey at least they are great games. If I all I have do is to get a 4.95$ knife in my back for games like AC, MKDS, and Hunters I'm all for it.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 29, 2006, 10:37:16 PM »
DS games cost 40 Euros here. Yep, Iwata definitely needs to talk with NoE about "acceptable pricing".

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 30, 2006, 02:07:33 AM »

Because most first-party DS games are built from the ground up for the DS.  Most third-party DS games are little more than GBA ports with minor touch screen features thrown in for an extra bullet point on the back of the box.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Artimus

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 30, 2006, 03:37:44 AM »

Originally posted by: vudu

Because most first-party DS games are built from the ground up for the DS.  Most third-party DS games are little more than GBA ports with minor touch screen features thrown in for an extra bullet point on the back of the box.

Trauma Center?

Offline SS4Gogita

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 30, 2006, 06:35:40 AM »

Originally posted by: VGrevolution

Hehe, that is something I've been wondering. Remember Nintendo stating that in America first party would be 29.99? Seems to me that NIntendo has pulled a sneaky trick on all of us suckers, raising the prices 34.95, but hey at least they are great games. If I all I have do is to get a 4.95$ knife in my back for games like AC, MKDS, and Hunters I'm all for it.

Notice those games, though.  What do they all have in common?  Yeah, they're all WiFi Connection games.  That's why those are $35.
::Vincent Anderson
::Staff Writer
Planet GameCube

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 30, 2006, 07:34:59 AM »
Wario Ware, Kirby and Electroplankton were not WiFi games though.

*edit* Neither are Super Princess Peach, Mario and Luigi, Advance Wars, True Swing Golf or Metroid Prime Pinball (although it did come with the rumble pak)
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 30, 2006, 08:54:46 AM »
For what will probably be most first positive post in a while (lucky for me nobody notices my endless ranting because unlike some other people's, all mine is perfectly justified and nobody can argue the point), it's nice to see that they're doing what Ian likes most.

OPTIONS!

Now.. who's to wager the totally unlikely option that even iPod is compatible?

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 30, 2006, 10:38:34 AM »
Why wouldn't DS games cost more than GBA games?  It is a newer system.
Really, I think GBA games should cost 20-25 and they should lower the cost of DS games some.
As for this news, I'm satisfied with it.  I didn't really expect Nintendo to up their prices much.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 30, 2006, 10:45:23 AM »

Originally posted by: Caliban
Indeed we may VGRevolution 'cause i just read on IGN that Iwata said that new partners for the VC have joined after GDC and they will reveal them in the future (E3 I guess).
Really? Interesting..

"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 30, 2006, 02:38:02 PM »
Yup, here's the link http://revolution.ign.com/articles/699/699033p1.html , and here's the quote: "Finally, the Japanese executive hinted that more virtual console partners were on board and would be announced at a future date. "A number of different publishers are now interested in participating in this virtual console system," he said. "As far as the details, though, I believe we will wait for another opportunity before discussing them."