Author Topic: The Red Star and Odin Sphere  (Read 12706 times)

Offline Amodaus1

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
The Red Star and Odin Sphere
« on: May 04, 2007, 09:38:23 AM »
Don't know if any of you are intrested in these two titles, but I am, so I thought i spread the word.

As far as the red star, its already out and I've been playing it. Not many, or should i say almost none, of the on-line gaming sites have mentioned this game's release, and its sad because i'm a fan of beat-em ups. I can't say i love shumps but i liked ikaruga a lot, and the shump sections in the red star, while no where near as difficult as ikargua, are really fun, and they constantly change up the gameplay between shooter and beat-em up, and for some sections they mix the 2 together. The best part is that it's multiplayer and you can play with a friend. There are a total of 3 characters to choose from (which is really small, and the third has to be unlocked) but they all play differently. You can level up your weapons, health, special attack by purchasing upgrades at the end of each level based on points you scored (they rank you on how well you do as well). And the melee attack isn't simply limited to pressing X over and over, there is some different moves you can apply which a basic smash brothers approach to control.

Any one who has played guardian heroes on the saturn will probably like this game (depends if you hate hate old school shooters, as that element is heavily intergrated into the game). The special move set you can choose from isn't as wide as that of guardian heroes, and juggling enemies is pretty much not allowed in the red star, and if you ever played guardian heroes you know you could juggle untill the screen glitched out and turned black. I haven't gotten to far into the game, so i don't want to comment on the "magic system" but is seems like each character only gets one special attack, where in guardian heroes everyone had a bunch, and the purchasing upgrade system in this game works differently than the level up system in guardian heroes, but they are about equal. Now i know i made it sound like this game is crap when compared to guardian heroes, but I'm simply comparing it to the best because it's damn good, and better than any other beat-em up i've played so far with the exception of guardian heroes.

The game is $20 brand new, it came out like a week ago here in the states, there aren't many sites with reviews or videos. But if you aren't to lazy you can plug this into your browser -       http://youtube.com/watch?v=1ApKHGLbyAw         -and you'll see the first 2 levels of gameplay (really 3 but the 2nd stage is just a boss fight)

Also the game is based off of something, i think a comic, but i'm unsure. If your looking into getting the game because of the story I think you should reconsider as the story elements are weak. The game is really a throw back to old genres that just aren't really produced anymore. It's very good. If you like guardian heroes I'd say go for it. If you played and enjoyed god hand you'll like this game too (and the camera is never a problem)

Man i guess i ranted about red star to long. Anyway, anyone else looking into Odin Sphere. The game looks nice, and i definetly like the direction the combat is in, but i'm unsure if the combat is more secret of mana like than street fighter like. The art is also a plus. If anyone knows more about the combat system or nature of the game let me know.  

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
RE: The Red Star and Odin Sphere
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2007, 10:24:34 AM »
I played Red Star at a Gamestop demo station about three years ago. I liked it.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2007, 01:03:00 PM »
Odin Sphere looks delicious, luxurious art style, 2D side-scrolling action rpg, and from what little I've read (http://ps2.ign.com/articles/783/783630p1.html)) it seems the gameplay mechanics are quite good for my liking.

Edit: Holy sh!t, I hope the music in Odin Sphere is like what is played on http://www.atlus.com/odinsphere/, gorgeous and astonishing.

Offline SixthAngel

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2007, 03:20:08 PM »
I was looking for The Red Star in stores and wasn't able to find it.  I'll check again soon because I've been looking for an awesome co-op game like this.  Odin Sphere is also looking great.  I hadn't heard of it before but anything Atlus puts out I tend to love.

Offline Amodaus1

• View Profile
RE:The Red Star and Odin Sphere
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2007, 04:59:48 AM »
I don't know if your going to be able to find the game at a local retail store. I found out the game is limited print, but you can still order it for the $20 initial price on-line from gamestop and amazon. I've heard on other forums that the game is becoming increasing difficult to find and isn't stocked in many areas. While i don't know how true that is, i do know the game is 3 years old, and the publisher probably just wanted to dump the game off to gain SOME revenue back. Hopefully they'll ship more copies, but i haven't heard anything.  

It's definitly a good fun co-op game, so if your looking for one it's a good choice, and at $20 brand new, it isn't to bad. Apparently you can get it for cheaper "from Buy.com and HAVE NOT used google check out with them before, you can get a $10 discount for using it. It comes out to around $13 with shipping" I ripped that off from another forum, hope it helps.

Offline TrueNerd

• Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2007, 06:59:33 PM »
Odin Sphere is like sex for the eyes. However, I wonder how much I'd actually be into the game...

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2007, 12:31:46 AM »
Red Star is in all stores here. Looks like a normal budget game to me.

Odin Sphere looks like *wants*.

Offline Infernal Monkey

• burly British nanny wrapped in a blender
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2007, 12:33:46 AM »
Yeah I've seen Red Star all over the joint here. Picked it up, it's pretty bloody good. :]

Offline Amodaus1

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2007, 08:02:49 AM »

Originally posted by: Infernal Monkey
Yeah I've seen Red Star all over the joint here. Picked it up, it's pretty bloody good. :]

As long as you got it and enjoyed it, spread the word.

Yeah I'm not sure how odin sphere will play over the long term, but it LOOKS good.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2007, 03:25:00 PM »
Odin Sphere is an Action/RPG?  If so, I might pick it up! ( ARPGs)  
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Ghisy

• Pronounced "GC"
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2007, 09:31:38 PM »
Odin Sphere looks realllllllly good but I'll wait for a review.
Because I'm being cautious with Atlus' games...
~Ghisy~
(pronounced GC!)

Currently playing: My Japanese Coach (DS), Resident Evil 5 (PS3), The Conduit (WII), Street Fighter IV (PS3)

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2007, 03:07:28 AM »

Originally posted by: Ghisy
Odin Sphere looks realllllllly good but I'll wait for a review.
Because I'm being cautious with Atlus' games...

If you wait for a review Atlus will run out of copies and it will never be sold again...
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2007, 03:14:51 AM »
I don't trust reviews with Atlus games...Both Swordcraft Story and Riviera got mediocre reviews and I enjoyed them thoroughly...(Maybe I should just say I don't trust reviews period...)
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline nitsu niflheim

• Eye-Candy Andy
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2007, 03:23:51 AM »
Also, don't wait to get this game if you are interested.  Atlus games have a history of disappearing quick most of the time.
Currently Reading:  Odd Apocalypse ~ Dean Koontz
Currently Watching:  ?

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2007, 04:23:07 AM »
Neither Swordcraft nor Riviera got released in Europe. Shame because Swordcraft DS 2 sounded nice.

Offline Amodaus1

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2007, 05:05:24 AM »
Yeah I'm worried about this game being sold out too, so i think i'll pick it up once it hits stores.

The nice thing about it is that the retail price is $40, the suck is that only in Japan can you get the pre-order bonus of the art book.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2007, 05:22:59 AM »
The bad thing for me is I would have to pick up a PS2 as well since mine broke last year.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline Ghisy

• Pronounced "GC"
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2007, 11:07:59 AM »

Originally posted by: Ceric
If you wait for a review Atlus will run out of copies and it will never be sold again...

Well, I have hope for a review somewhere online the same month it'll be released.
Call me a dreamer if you want to.
Btw, does the game have a US release date? The only one I found was June but it is for Japan.
~Ghisy~
(pronounced GC!)

Currently playing: My Japanese Coach (DS), Resident Evil 5 (PS3), The Conduit (WII), Street Fighter IV (PS3)

Offline Amodaus1

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2007, 04:15:32 PM »
It's out on the 22nd of this month here. And you can definetly expect reviews a day or 2 before the retail date because all the major sites are drooling over this game, mainly becuase its pretty, because i BARELY see them go into depth about the combat (which is the part i mainly intrested in).

Either way, red star is out now, and thats some good cheap gaming that everyone should try(as long as you like beat-em ups / shoot em-ups / or co-op games to play with a friend)  

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2007, 04:19:45 PM »
It's supposed to come out by the end of this month I think. (Amodaus1 was quicker haha)

I don't think there will be any problem in finding Odin Sphere if you are waiting for a review. I've recently ordered for my PS2 new copies of "Disgaea: Hour Of Darkness" (2004), "La Pucelle: Tactics" (2004), and "Shinobi" (2002), from dvdboxoffice.com, these games are quite rare too, but ebay might be your solution if you will have a really hard time finding Odin Sphere.  

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2007, 07:14:16 PM »
I got Disgaea from the rerelease (also almost got Shinobi from a clearance sale but someone else was faster since I wanted to read reviews first, ended up buying Nightshade instead). Still haven't played it much, you have to level so much between missions and if you unlock a new character type you have to level that one up from zero too. Takes forever to get anywhere.

While we're on the subject of unknown new games, anyone know stuff about Demon Chaos or Final Armada?  

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2007, 03:24:22 AM »
Is this the same Red Star that Acclaim was working on before going bankrupt?

Offline Ghisy

• Pronounced "GC"
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2007, 10:26:28 AM »
Do you think Odin Sphere will have a Japanese/English option for the voice overs?
Because the official website says it'll have fully-voiced dialogues.

edit: according to Gamespot "Atlus is promising more than 40 hours of gameplay, and players will be able to play the game with Japanese or English voice actors."
PLEASE LET THEM BE RIGHT!!!!!!!
~Ghisy~
(pronounced GC!)

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2007, 10:35:43 AM »
I prefer Japanese as long as the have English subtitles.

Offline SixthAngel

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2007, 12:50:40 PM »
Grim Grimoire is another game that is coming out soon.  It is made by the same people who are making Odin Sphere and as you can see has a similar look to it.  This is a strategy game from a side perspective and I am really looking forward to it as well.

Offline nitsu niflheim

• Eye-Candy Andy
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2007, 07:32:36 AM »
I'm not all that interested in GrimGrimoire.  I prefer my strategy games like the Disgaea/Fire Emblem type.
Currently Reading:  Odd Apocalypse ~ Dean Koontz
Currently Watching:  ?

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2007, 07:47:13 AM »
I prefer my strategy in realtime but it seems that's just me.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2007, 07:51:43 AM »
I be more interested in that game if it was on the Wii.  From watching the videos of Bloodworth playing it it looked like it would benefit from the pointer interface.

Offline Ghisy

• Pronounced "GC"
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2007, 08:42:21 AM »
Okay so I caved in and pre-ordered Odin Sphere on Ebay today for 35 bucks (plus shipping).
Hopefully it'll be good.
~Ghisy~
(pronounced GC!)

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2007, 09:04:22 AM »
Yes, it's the same Red Star that Acclaim was publishing.

Offline MaleficentOgre

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2007, 02:22:15 AM »
Red Star is kind of fun. and a good deal since I payed like $15 for it. I'm getting odin sphere simply because it's the prettiest game I've ever seen.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2007, 05:22:03 PM »

Offline Ghisy

• Pronounced "GC"
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 25, 2007, 06:46:26 AM »
My copy of OS should ship soon!!
~Ghisy~
(pronounced GC!)

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 25, 2007, 10:44:35 AM »
Mine too, it's taking foooreeeeever though but it should ship soon.

Another review, from IGN: http://ps2.ign.com/articles/791/791756p1.html (8.8/10)

Offline MaleficentOgre

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 25, 2007, 03:03:29 PM »
I just started up odin sphere and it's a truckload and a half of fun. in case you're wondering it's a scourge tanker. which is more than an ultra magnus truck, but not quite an omega prime truck. still it's crazy fantastic

Offline Magik

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 27, 2007, 07:10:51 AM »
Odin Sphere = Most beautiful 2D game EVER!

Offline Ghisy

• Pronounced "GC"
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 29, 2007, 08:47:10 AM »
Heck yeah!! My copy of Odin Sphere was shipped today!
~Ghisy~
(pronounced GC!)

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 29, 2007, 09:05:59 AM »
Odin Sphere looks like teh sexiness. Game Crazy didn't get Odin Sphere and by the time I heard of the game, it was too late to preorder. Damn... damn, damn, damn....

Offline SixthAngel

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 29, 2007, 11:58:57 AM »
No luck for me.  I wish stores would carry more then just preorders for games like this instead of having a billion of the next big advertised game.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 29, 2007, 11:03:22 PM »
I found some copies of Odin Sphere at Walmart ($40). I don't think anyone knows they're there. I'll check if its available for rent at work. If not, I think the price is pretty reasonable. I don't want to depend on scouring used game shops. No sir.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 30, 2007, 06:40:23 AM »
Still undecided... It's probably not coming out here so I'd have to import but I can't really be bothered...

Offline Ghisy

• Pronounced "GC"
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 31, 2007, 05:54:57 AM »
Eeeeeeeeeeeee! Odin Sphere is here!!
Turns out it was shipped last week!
I think I know what game I'm gonna try out this weekend.
~Ghisy~
(pronounced GC!)

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 31, 2007, 04:34:37 PM »
I think I get my game tomorrow, it's my free day and I only work the next day at noon, so basically it will be an Odin Sphere marathon for me too.

Offline Amodaus1

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 01, 2007, 05:39:48 AM »
I got it on the 23rd, but its good. It's not the guardian heroes styled brawl mixed with rpg elements that i wanted but its still good. Also its hard, but then again i set it to hard so i don't know what normal is like.

However, as pretty as it looks, if i had to but my money down on which one was more fun, it'd have to be red star. I know odin sphere got more press and looks better (and it is a fun game) but you guys sould check red star, esspecially with a friend.

And i didn't know GrimGrimoire was developed by the same guys, thats good news

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 01, 2007, 08:23:04 AM »
I ordered it today (or yesterday? I forgot) but Play-Asia says it's in stock in 1-2 weeks, combined with airmail that means I can expect it in mid-late july, just in time for that godawful university project to be over.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 01, 2007, 01:31:20 PM »
Can I just say that I don't know for how little I've played but my eyes and ears are bleeding from such an overflow of sensations, geez.

Amodaus1, normal is normal, not too hard nor too easy, I've died plenty of times against Belial but that's because I'm not putting any strategy into play.

Offline SixthAngel

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 02, 2007, 10:00:09 PM »
I just picked  Odin Sphere and wow!  I loved it from when I controlled the little kid reading the story book and picking up the cat and then it just got awesome.

Offline Ghisy

• Pronounced "GC"
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 03, 2007, 01:27:37 AM »
I played my first game of Odin Sphere today: the game is graphically impressive!!
The gameplay seems a bit odd though, it's basically an action game with some RPG elements. One thing is kinda frustrating: stages are really short to my liking.
~Ghisy~
(pronounced GC!)

Offline SixthAngel

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 07, 2007, 10:47:30 PM »
The Red Star and Odin Sphere are both great.  Red Star is getting very hard on the levels I just got to, my friend and I were getting killed by a bosses millions of bullets, mortar guys, and ground soldiers.  That is not a complaint, I liked how it took us time and forced us to make a strategy so each of us would concentrate on certain aspects according to what we and our characters are best at.  When games like this come out now it makes me think that Sony should have just kept the ps2 out and not released the 3 for a few years.

Does anyone who has Red Star know what Kyuzo's 3rd weapon does?  Whenever I use it the giant bullet just bounces of the enemy and I can't find any faqs with the info.

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 08, 2007, 03:33:21 AM »
I took the plunge and bought Odin Sphere.  I played it last night, but didn't have enough time to get far at all.  It certainly is beautiful.  The story is presented in such an over-serious way that it's almost funny, though.

I'm considering Red Star, but only if I can convince a friend to play through it with me.  Such games are only really worth playing co-op.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 27, 2007, 02:36:55 AM »
Wow, Odin Sphere arrived earlier than expected.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 28, 2007, 09:24:40 AM »
Gah, I just gave up in frustration vs. Briggan, after countless tries I finally managed to get him down to 20% health, he grabs me and takes me from ~130 HP to zero. Thanks. Bah. Also that pow bar is annoying, it's hard enough to squeeze some hits in, stunning the character if you do too many attacks without standing still for a while is way too much. How far in do you have to play to see the 10/10 worthiness of the game?

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 29, 2007, 05:38:07 PM »
Well I think this game(odin) deserves a 7.5 - 8.5 at max, the power bar is annoying since you can't do any string of long combos and forces you to flee. I like the 2d look but I hate how each stage is pretty much a circular rotation with a "cartoon" effect on the background where you think the background looks different except it comes back as recycled. I think Vanillaware/Atlus should of fine tuned the controls since sometimes they tick me off and detract from the experience.
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 29, 2007, 07:17:27 PM »
The only issues I've had with the controls are that your fourth strike takes forever to do so if you start it you can forget about reacting to the enemy's next attack and the f###ing retarded interface conventions of the Playstation platform (X confirms, O cancels? WHY???).

Offline SixthAngel

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 30, 2007, 07:00:16 PM »
I don't see a problem with the power preventing infinite attacks since I rarely ever dizzy when not fighting a boss.

The volcano area is killing me.  The strong fire lizards just rock me constantly.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 30, 2007, 09:19:44 PM »
BTW, is it normal that berserkers take you down 50% with one charge attack (in the city level) or does that mean I'm way below the recommended HP level?

Either way this feels like a crappy brawler so far, kinda like Viewtiful Joe if you removed all level variety, special moves and puzzles, i.e. everything that makes it great and added experience and inventory management.

Offline SixthAngel

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 30, 2007, 10:27:12 PM »
That sounds about right for the charge attack.  I suggest you keep an eye on the silouette at the top of the screen since it gives you more notice when he is off screen and gliding helps a lot, do it all the time.  Make more painkiller potions then you think you need as well until you get the health potion recipe.  If I remember correctly the castle gives you many kinds of mandragora which you will miss in the next area.

Making compromises between high experience fruit, high health fruit and alchemy is pretty complicated and it is taking me a while to get the hang of it.  This game must be enormous because I have played a lot and I still haven't left the first story.  

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 01, 2007, 09:38:06 AM »
Heh, my HP level seriously went up the moment I got access to the kitchen. And yeah, I'm constantly doped up on painkillers when fighting bigger enemies. I like how they managed to make all items desirable so there's no kind you just dump when you need to free some space up or sell when you meed a trader, almost everything is useful in some way.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 18, 2007, 01:31:15 PM »
I just got the game in today.  I've been through the first 2 chapters and on the third.  I NEED more storage for goodness sake.  I have the two bags that come with her and a small bag but I'm always running out of room.  I don't like what they did with the cold mountain it was sort of mean.  Did anyone else notice that when you go to a level there is almost always a merchant selling something that can give you resistance to the Status Ailment of the chapter but it cost 100.  Which gets me to how hard it is to make money in the game...

Thought good game good game.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 19, 2007, 06:36:16 AM »
Money making becomes easier as you get better, in the second chapter I'd easily bring home 70+G from the first few missions already.

Also the ice mountain is not the only stage with an annoying condition you constantly have to use potions against.

Offline SixthAngel

• View Profile
« Reply #60 on: August 01, 2007, 06:51:41 PM »
I just beat The Red Star and it was awesome.  I played through it all on co-op with a friend.  This game is great and at times very hard.  We would have to try new strategies and positions on different bosses until we finally became good enough to follow the patterns and take them down.  Even after losing a bunch of times it never got old because we could see the progress we made.  The last boss, Troika, especially gives you a beat down.  After beating the game it unlocks cool arenas to play, a new character, and more things to unlock through the arenas.  If anyone has a friend to play a game with this is an absolute must.  

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 01, 2007, 07:47:02 PM »
I got stuck in OS at the second story epilogue because I can't figure out how to kill those slimes.