Author Topic: Component cables available online at launch, NOT IN STORES till mid. dec, AVAILABLE BY PHONE ORDER NOW!  (Read 7176 times)

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
Looks like Perrin was wrong... again!

But fear not, apparently Nintendo is letting us order the cables over the phone if we call them ALREADY!

We have made a limited number of the cables available for purchase prior to the launch. The cable will cost $29.95 USD and $35.95 CDN. Expedited shipping is available for an additional fee. There is a limit of one Component Video Cable per customer.

Read it here at GoNintendo!

I hear the phones are all full and the operators are flabbergasted, not realizing that these items are for sale! I'm gonna call 'em as soon as I can!

~Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Jin-X

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Hope this barrage of phone calls makes them realize once and for all that a lot of people want the damn component cables so they get them in stores ASAP and stop this half-assed crap they're pulling with the cables.

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
Sigh, looks like I won't be getting my component cables for launch....=(  Makes me sad, I want to play Zelda in best quality.  Not too big of a deal though, I have been playing games for years without them

I'll just order online as soon as possible.
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
AHHH! They're so busy they automatically shaft my call!

~Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com

Offline Chris1

• View Profile
I've been calling the last 10 mins, no luck!  Ive been thanked for calling Nintendo about 40 times

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
Wow.  I called Nintendo eariler and got straight in.  Guess it was before the rush...
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
Sonuvab!tch. Seriously, WTF is Nintendo thinking. Component cables should be sold right alongside the Wii on Sunday.

Whatever, guess I will be ordering them tomorrow right at opening and hopefully I will receive them Monday morning.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
I've said this before and I'll say it again - it may not be Nintendo's doing.  It may possibly be that retailers just don't want to carry the component cables.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Nile Boogie

• that is why you fail
    • View Profile
Nile Boogie is...

0699-9217-4212-6889

Philadelphia Penn, 19130

Yet they were all over the place for the original Xbox and PS2?

Offline Jin-X

• View Profile

Originally posted by: UncleBob
I've said this before and I'll say it again - it may not be Nintendo's doing.  It may possibly be that retailers just don't want to carry the component cables.

You got anything to support your claim, because I can't think of a reason why they wouldn't want to carry an item with such strong demand.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
And?  I see cases and cases of PS2 and XBox games at various stores and tiny sections of GCN games... do you think it's because Nintendo doesn't want to ship out tons of GCN games to retailers?

Offline Jin-X

• View Profile
That was after GC became the clear #3 in the US market, and yes at some point there actually where less games shipped for GC than the other 2 due to the sales. This is a system launch, those things always do well, combined with the fact that there are way more Wiis than PS3s for sale and the Wiis very strong hype/buzz (whatever you want to call it). Oh and some lil game called The Legend of Zelda launching with it.

But who would have thought that so many people want the best possible connection to their tv for a videogame system? Crazy aint it?

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
Interestingly enough... I'm also in the market for a Wii RF Adapter...

~Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
I'm not saying that there aren't people who want the cable.  I'm saying that after two systems in a row that performed less than spectacular at the retail level combined with a new system that isn't pushing graphics, it's pretty easy to see why retailers might not want to dedicate limited inventory space during the holiday season to an item that's not going to be a huge seller even if Wii takes off and there's three in every household.

Offline Jin-X

• View Profile
Well I think the "not a huge seller part" is being disputed by the rush of people calling Nintendo. As for the retail space, its freaking cables and stores like EB/Gamestop are just game stores, why wouldn't they stock a big accesory like that?

And for that matter, where the hell are the S-Video cables? Or is everybody gonna have to play with the "forgot your eye glasses" effect of composite?  

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
Let's say Nintendo has 100 live reps. Let's say that it takes about five mins from start to finish to place an order for the cables.  Let's say they've been placing orders non-stop for three hours.

That means Nintendo just sold 3,600 cables (180 mins \ 5 mins each * 100 reps).

That's barely one cable per US Wal*Mart store alone.

And that's saying Nintendo has 100 live reps.  And that they've been taking orders non-stop for three hours.  And that it's only taking five mins per order.  I called shortly before 7 (apparently before the rush) to do something as simple as getting a subscription tied to my MyNintendo account and that took almost nine mins (according to my phone's timer).

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
Tomorrow I'm going to make a call to my local BestBuy/FutureShop, if they won't have any component cables at launch then I will call this 1-800 number to get me some cables, even if I have to pay the 2 buisness days fee.

Offline Jin-X

• View Profile
But all those people are ones that saw it recently online and made a mad dash to the phone, and only the ones that have credit cards. Look the point really is that it's 2006 and to only offer composite is, well, pretty damn retarded; whether they are getting away from the graphical arms race or not is of little relevance because people want to connect their consoles to their tvs the best way possible so games can look their best, and composite is a real old way of connecting video sources, one that frankly looks like crap.

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
I just wanted to say that there is waaaaaaaaay too much man nipple on this thread.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
So... who in NOA do we blame?

I say we take this issue to the regginator himself! He'll know what to do!

~Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com

Offline zxkork

• View Profile
Hell Yeah! Calling tommorow morning, thanks for the heads up!
Wii will rock you

Offline zxkork

• View Profile
Hell Yeah! Calling tommorow morning, thanks for the heads up!
Wii will rock you

Offline Jin-X

• View Profile
I have a feeling that if there aren't any component cables in stores on Sunday, we won't have to complain much because Matt Casamasina will do it all for us.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile

Originally posted by: Jin-X
But all those people are ones that saw it recently online and made a mad dash to the phone, and only the ones that have credit cards. Look the point really is that it's 2006 and to only offer composite is, well, pretty damn retarded; whether they are getting away from the graphical arms race or not is of little relevance because people want to connect their consoles to their tvs the best way possible so games can look their best, and composite is a real old way of connecting video sources, one that frankly looks like crap.

And yet, the only one that, what, 91% or so of household TVs can use?

I'm not saying it's a good or bad idea to only offer composite cables, I'm merely saying that its very possible that it's not Nintendo's fault that stores aren't carrying the product.  The fact that Nintendo is at least offering the cables in some form or another says something - they could simply not offer them at all until retailers decided they want them.

You have to remember, Retailers are already having to have slots for Wii Controllers, Nunchucks, Classic Controllers, Point Cards, ethernet adapters, and Nintendo branded SD Cards (not to mention all the third party stuff like dog tags and controller gloves).  Now, compare this to the PS3 which has a SKU for the controller and the PS1/2 Memory Card adapter (heck, I'll even give you that it has two different system skus).  The fact is, retailers are already taking on lots of inventory for what could be Nintendo's third flop in a row... why take on even more inventory this early so they can sell one, *maybe* two per store.  They're not pushing graphics.  They're not pushing hardcore gamer.  Retail stores, very likely, just don't care about the component cables for Wii right now.