Author Topic: NEW hardware news! (Wii has LAN adaptor)  (Read 6357 times)

Offline AnyoneEB

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE: NEW hardware news! (Wii has LAN adaptor)
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2006, 12:54:39 AM »
Shecky: I am not complaining about the ethernet not being built-in, but I will probably need the USB adapter because college wi-fi networks tend to have all kinds of annoying security measures. I guess I will find out when I actually try to set up my Wii, though.

Offline Shecky

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
RE: NEW hardware news! (Wii has LAN adaptor)
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2006, 04:20:24 AM »
Gamecube LAN titles will most definately *not* be supported.

AnyoneEB: I understand that for some people, the wired option is more viable.  On the bright side, the Wii should have a far more robust handling of wireless networks - including the various serurity protocols.  The Wii doesn't have the same constraints as the DS has.

What urks me is the people who blindly complain about the lack of built in ethernet and then turn around and complain about the lack of HD.  Wireless networking is expanding faster than the HD TV market!  If your all for new technology, lose the wires!

One last note about the Nintendo WiFi adapter.  **If** it's a 802.11b adapter, look for Nintendo to have a "HighSpeed" or "Max" or something like that version when Wii releases.  Basically releasing a 802.11b/g adapter.  If they do, remember that 802.11b is pleanty fast for gaming (assuming your in a reasonable proximity to the adapter) and that Wii would be able to take advantage of the full speed of the link.  The DS artificially limits the speed to limit power consumption.  My point, you don't have to upgrade... try it first.  

Offline blackfootsteps

• Recovering GoldenPhoenix fan.
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
RE:NEW hardware news! (Wii has LAN adaptor)
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2006, 05:44:16 AM »
The problem for me with the Wi-fi Usb dongle is the range. My lounge is way too far away for it to pick up the signal of the dongle.  
“I waited all day. you waited all day.. but you left before sunset.. and I just wanted to tell you the moment was beautiful. Just wanted to dance to bad music drive bad cars.. watch bad TV.. should have stayed for the sunset...if not for me.â€

Offline Artimus

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE:NEW hardware news! (Wii has LAN adaptor)
« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2006, 06:24:24 AM »
The ethernet adapter just means you can use a cord instead of wireless. AKA an ethernet cable, one of these:

If you have high speed then you almost certainly can support this. If you have high speed you CAN support either ethernet cables or wireless. Wii supports all.