Author Topic: Two Years Later...  (Read 14698 times)

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
Re: Two Years Later...
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2013, 10:00:46 PM »
You IGN's Game of the Year, that means the overall game of the year.

Also, WiiWare has a lot of good games. There is a lot of garbage, but there are quite a lot of good games too.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2013, 10:04:14 PM »
You IGN's Game of the Year, that means the overall game of the year.
Good God, Lemon! They were talking about DSiWare. Read between the lines... Lemon!

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2013, 10:29:09 PM »
He really wants to be right for once.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2013, 10:42:14 PM »
Im right more often than you.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2013, 11:09:45 PM »
Im right pendantic more often than you.
That's  "I'm".

EDIT: HAHAHAHAHAHA. Also be more passive agressive, it's sure to win you friends.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 11:38:25 PM by oohhboy »

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2013, 12:07:22 AM »
on ds it was shantae
i would think given the nature of this conversation i wouldn't have to clarify that
While there is a lot a garbage, there are also some really great games on the DSiWare service. I'd argue it's better than WiiWare.
that doesn't take much tbh

Yeah. I clearly got that he was referring to IGN's DS game of the year. Good thing we got clarification on what the OVERALL game of the year was. That's what Mass Effect 2 was. But with Pokepal just saying game of the year that could refer to a number of categories such as Xbox, DS, PC. Pokepal never stated specifially which game of the year category but considering that we were talking DSiWare on a DS forum, I don't know why you would jump to Overall Game of the Year winner. Don't be so anxious to correct people. No one was having trouble following the conversation. My forum advice for the day.

Back to the topic: I figured it was Shantae because IGN really tried to promote that game but I always viewed as a conflict of interest since Mark Bozon who worked for IGN back then is the brother of Matt Bozon who created Shantae and I always felt like he was trying to help his brother out and promote the game and hype it up more. Was Shantae considered a DS game of the year anywhere else? It's probably a fine game but I'd put stock in some else's review of it than someone who's partiality could be questioned.

Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2013, 12:19:41 AM »
Was Shantae considered a DS game of the year anywhere else?

Not sure. NWR, GameTrailers, Nintendo Power, Gamasutra, GameSpot, and GameSpy all picked Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies as DS Game of the Year.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2013, 01:03:24 AM »
It has been a slow two years for me on the 3DS. I only have a handful of games outside of the Ambassasor titles.

Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars
Mario Kart 7
RE: Revelations
Kid Icarus (I still haven't finished due to the awful controls)
Paper Mario Sticker Star

Pre-ordered Fire Emblem.

I haven't brought a single thing from the e-shop. In some ways there are more games avaliable, but none of it is what I want. I am still waiting on the yet to be annouced Advanced Wars game, but that's it on the horizon. I don't get any of the indie games, not because they are bad, but because I am better served by Steam. There is a lot of potential left untapped.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2013, 05:41:01 AM »
Go buy Mutant Mudds right fucking now. It may be the best game on the system. My initial list for our 2012 Top 10 feature was Mutant Mudds written ten times.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2013, 07:40:29 AM »
Was Shantae considered a DS game of the year anywhere else?

Not sure. NWR, GameTrailers, Nintendo Power, Gamasutra, GameSpot, and GameSpy all picked Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies as DS Game of the Year.
that was my personal pick
but tbh imagine the backlash they got for picking a dsiware game for that

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 27, 2013, 11:02:07 AM »
I'm not sure there would be that much backlash since they already set a precedent for doing something like that when they made World of Goo the Wii game of the year in 2008 I think. I could be wrong on what year it was so, if TJ Spyke wants to correct it, have at it. Regardless, having done that, for them to choose a DSiWare game as game of the year later wouldn't be that shocking. Plus, I should take a look at 2010 DS games but I think the library was starting to wind down in quality titles by that point with 3DS coming around the corner so I don't think there would be a feeling of any major game getting snubbed by that selection.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #36 on: March 27, 2013, 11:38:21 AM »
You are correct, they gave World of Goo their Wii GOTY. I strongly disagree with that since there were far better Wii games that year (like Brawl). I like WOG, but I fell its over-rated.

And it makes it seem odd for them to pick Shantae when every other major gaming outlet picked Dragon Quest IX. Not saying Shantae isnt a good game (I havent played it, but I have never heard anything bad about it), just makes it a little more odd that they are pretty much the only ones who picked it as GOTY and the director of the game only left IGN 10 months earlier (Mark Bozon worked at IGN until February 2010, the GOTY was announced that December)

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 27, 2013, 01:27:08 PM »
You are correct, they gave World of Goo their Wii GOTY. I strongly disagree with that since there were far better Wii games that year (like Brawl). I like WOG, but I fell its over-rated.

And it makes it seem odd for them to pick Shantae when every other major gaming outlet picked Dragon Quest IX. Not saying Shantae isnt a good game (I havent played it, but I have never heard anything bad about it), just makes it a little more odd that they are pretty much the only ones who picked it as GOTY and the director of the game only left IGN 10 months earlier (Mark Bozon worked at IGN until February 2010, the GOTY was announced that December)
it was Matt bozon who worked on the game, Mark is the one who worked at IGN and i think they're cousins or something

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #38 on: March 27, 2013, 01:47:58 PM »
They are brothers, and both work at WayForward (Matt since 1995, Mark since February 2010). Either way, it casts doubts on the validity of their pick for GOTY since Mark was in charge of IGN Nintendo until a few months before the game came out.

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 27, 2013, 02:10:06 PM »
i thought matt cassimasina was in charge
but its relatively clean compared to other things they've done even then,

Offline RABicle

• Used to be The Finisher
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Pietriots
« Reply #40 on: April 03, 2013, 09:24:20 AM »
Mario Kart 7
Super Mario 3D Land
Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward
Luigi's Mansion: Dark Days
And some eshop ****.

My 3DS policy is to not buy a new game until I beat the previous one. See if I can knock over Lugi's Mansion before Fire Emblem hits the Euro shop, if not i guess we'll see whats next.
Pietriots  - Post ironic gaming log.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 03, 2013, 10:34:34 AM »
I doubt Luigi's Mansion: Dark Days is that long. While the first was criminally short when I 100% that game in single digit hours, twice. The underlying gameplay isn't the type that has a long haul element to it. While they could resort to kill rooms, that isn't really their style unless it is "Extra" or new gameplus stuff where you kill 100 floors of something.

Offline RABicle

• View Profile
    • Pietriots
« Reply #42 on: April 03, 2013, 10:46:26 AM »
Oh good. Cos Zero Escape was an onslaught. 36 hours it took me.

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 03, 2013, 10:57:35 AM »
Oh really? Glad to know it has a lot of gameplay. I've been wanting to buy it for quite some time.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 03, 2013, 11:09:32 AM »
Think of it like a Metroid game. If you played through that game going from one gameplay upgarde to another, that game isn't that long. What makes it look is all the scanning and back tracking for more powerups as you get more equipment. LM is going to play similiar to that except it does it without using a single gun. I figure 10 - 15  hours on a first run without 100% unless they didn't learn anything from the first game.

I would get myself when it gets cheap. Got plenty of other games to play.

Offline Do_What

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 03, 2013, 01:23:52 PM »
My collection is tiny:

Super Mario 3D land
Theatrhythm
Cave Story 3D
Star Fox 64 3D
Paper Mario Sticker Star

Kirby's Pinball Land
Super Mario Land 2
Liberation Maiden
Gargoyle's Quest
Gunman Clive
Link's Awakening DX

It's not been bad for me. I wish virtual console was just loaded up with Gameboy Color titles and I wish retail titles were as cheap on eshop as they are in real life after a couple of months. I really want Luigi's Mansion, but it's hard to buy when I know Gamefly or someone else will be selling it for $25 in four or five months and $15-$20 in eight or nine months. So yeah
(╯°□°)╯︵ â”»â”â”»

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 03, 2013, 11:12:39 PM »
Check it:

Retail:
Super Mario 3D Land (Returned)
Sonic Generations (Returned)
Paper Mario: Sticker Star (Returned)
Resident Evil: Revelations
Kid Icarus: Uprising
Mario Kart 7
Etrian Odyssey IV
Pokemon Rumble Blast
Fire Emblem: Awakening (Digital)
New Super Mario Bros. 2 (Digital)

eShop:
VVVVVV
Pushmo
Crashmo
Mighty Switch Force
Mutant Mudds
Crimson Shroud
Liberation Maiden
Gunman Clive
Bloody Vampire
HarmoKnight

DSiWare:
Cave Story
Shantae: Risky's Revenge
Ivy the Kiwi? Lite
Magical Whip
Soul of Darkness
Four Swords Anniversary
Tetris Party Live

VC:
20 Ambassador Games
Kid Icarus 3D
Kirby 3D
Excite Bike 3D
Megaman
Vanilla Tetris
Super Mario Land
Super Mario Land 2
Super Mario Land 3
Wario Land 2
Zelda DX

That's my street cred, I guess.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #47 on: April 04, 2013, 04:46:52 PM »
Art Academy: Lessons for Everyone!
Ace Combat: Assault Horizon Legacy
Heroes of Ruin
Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon
Super Mario 3D Land
New Super Mario Bros. 2
Paper Mario: Sticker Star
Mario Kart 7
Mario Tennis Open
Pilotwings Resort
Fire Emblem: Awakening
Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance
Theatrhythm Final Fantasy
Tales of the Abyss
Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask
Rhythm Thief and the Emperor's Treasure
Sonic Generations
Crush3D
Kid Icarus: Uprising
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D
Dead or Alive Dimensions
Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition
Pokemon Rumble Blast
Resident Evil: Revelations
Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D
Ridge Racer 3D
Star Fox 3D
Rayman 3D
Tetris: Axis
Crosswords Plus

I typed this up by memory, so I might be forgetting a game. All retail. 30 so far.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)

Offline RABicle

• View Profile
    • Pietriots
« Reply #48 on: April 08, 2013, 08:24:23 AM »
How do you guys have time to play all these games? I have a job and university and girlfriend to do. I wouldn't be able to afford all these either.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 08, 2013, 09:06:06 AM »
How do you guys have time to play all these games? I have a job and university and girlfriend to do. I wouldn't be able to afford all these either.

Time to play them all? No way. But why should that stop me from collecting?

My guess is that most people with big lists are in the same situation: more money than time, but a desire to collect (usually with the intent to play "eventually").

My main hobbies are running, basketball, and video games. Sports have essentially zero cost for me (other than replacing shoes every couple of years) so my entertainment budget is basically dedicated to video games. The only consoles I own are Wii, 3DS, and PSP. Wii doesn't get any new games; PSP only gets attention when PSN sales are appealing; so 3DS gets games almost by default.

Any game I pay more than $10 or $15 for has either been played already or will be played in the near future.  If the price is in that $10-15 range, then I don't mind splurging once every week or two for gaming treat even if I have no intent to play right away.  (I have no plans to buy a new gaming console - either handheld or portable - for years so don't mind having a backlog of games available.)

Just for fun, I tagged my list to show which games haven't been played more than an hour so far. Outside of getting 3 big retail releases close together - 2 at no cost by trading games I had finished playing - it really doesn't look that bad.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2013, 09:29:24 AM by ejamer »
NNID: ejamer