Author Topic: Play Galaxy at Retail Kiosks  (Read 2498 times)

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
Play Galaxy at Retail Kiosks
« on: October 28, 2007, 02:13:45 PM »
Nintendo's holiday blockbuster is now playable at GameStop and other game stores in the U.S.
 http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/newsArt.cfm?artid=14694

It's normal for Nintendo to put playable demos of its games at retail demo kiosks, but we thought it was worth a special mention for Super Mario Galaxy.  The game is now playable at your local game store (including GameStop and EB Games stores nationwide), over two weeks before its release date of November 12th.     Nintendo shipped the full "gold" version of the game for the retail kiosks, so you could theoretically play through the entire game, except that other customers and eventually the staff will kick you off the kiosk or out of the store at some point.  You can even save the game after getting one of the 120 stars, so if you're sneaky and keep your own separate game file, you might actually make some progress over the course of a few visits to the store.    

Not surprisingly, Nintendo is a little concerned about people playing too far into the game, and they have apparently asked GameStop employees (through a corporate memo to stores) to prevent customers from taking video of the later stages.

THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
RE:Play Galaxy at Retail Kiosks
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2007, 03:31:21 PM »
Well it would be playable, if any gamestop ever turned on the damn Wii.
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline Bartman3010

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE: Play Galaxy at Retail Kiosks
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2007, 04:24:21 PM »
I actually got to see the actual disc, box and everything it came in, and played for about an hour into the game at Game Crazy, the store I saw it at first.

I must say, at first I thought this Mario wasnt going to cut it, but after finally spending some time with the game, I've been convinced that I was wrong. It seems odd of Nintendo to offer the entire game to be playable at these stores, and I was even considering making frequent stops to play more of the game, and possibly copy the save file over to an SD card and finish the game at home....maybe.
- Bartman

Mario Kart DS - 111728-668174
Metroid Prime Hunters - 3866-1460-2555
Tetris DS - 105680-429364

(Send PM if interested, you probably arent)
Better yet, check out #mariokartds on Esper.net, featuring the FriendCodeBot!

Offline SkiDragon

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2007, 05:21:07 PM »
This presents a good question. When will they introduce Wii kiosks with actual controllers, like every other system. I know some stores will lend you controllers, usually after letting them hold your driver's license or something, but they need to introduce kiosks with the controllers built in, and held down with a wire or something.

Offline MarioAllStar

• Weird and Wonderful
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2007, 05:47:42 PM »
Thanks for listening.

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2007, 06:18:08 PM »
Hmm, I wonder when they'll start advertising the game. Nintendo's promotion has been severely lacking the last few months
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2007, 06:53:28 PM »