Author Topic: AMD buys ATI  (Read 3995 times)

AMD buys ATI
« on: July 24, 2006, 09:49:43 AM »
I was surprised by this turn of events. Nvidia and AMD seemed to have a close business relationship. I wonder how Nvidia and Intel will respond.

AMD-ATI Done Deal
Fiery words fuel debate and debate yields understanding

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
RE:AMD buys ATI
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2006, 09:57:31 AM »
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE: AMD buys ATI
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2006, 09:58:40 AM »
You beat me to it. ;p
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline slacker

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2006, 08:09:42 PM »
AMD needed a chipset maker and ATi is cheaper than NVidia.  Although this makes AMD a competitor to NVidia, NVidia is still in a strong position to compete. Besides, if AMD can't keep ATi's graphics division fairly independent, Ati's ability to compete in the graphics space might degrade because it would be distracted and that leaves only NVidia as king of the graphics card business (although Intel technically sells more integrated graphics chip).  I like AMD's move if I am building a computer with AMD processors, but I think ATi's graphic division might take a turn for the worst in the short term.

Offline raptorspike

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2006, 04:31:46 AM »
I am worried about this. Not only because I am an ardent supporter of nVidia graphics cards and AMD processors. But because this could mean that the best AMD north bridge (nForce) could become extinct, or even worse, move to support Intel!

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2006, 06:21:15 AM »
OMG don't click this link

for slacker & raptorspike who didn't see vudu's link above their post.

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2006, 11:44:55 AM »
So does this mean that the Wii will sport an AMD logo instead of an ATi logo?

Offline Djunknown

• HEY! HEY! LISTEN!
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2006, 03:14:21 PM »
Ahhh, I doubt it. ATI's support for Nintendo and Microsoft won't change this time around. Though I think AMD will get a small cut from the Wii and 360 when the merger is 100 percent complete. We'll see what happens in 2010 or so....

Aside from 'favorable' support between ATI and AMD hardware, what else is going to change? Does AMD now have some leverage with computer dealers like Del, IBM and such (though hardcore PC gamers custom build their rig anyway...)? "Put an AMD processor in your next line of PCs or no ATI for you..."
Ma ma sa, ma ma coo sa
Ma ma se, ma ma sa,
Ma ma coo sa

Offline BigJim

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2006, 10:39:40 PM »
ATI as a brand will still exist. I'd think the ATI logo would be there (if any).

The merger is beneficial for ATI because they will now have their own fabrication capabilities. Before it was always done externally. Now they can do it themselves, and do it better because AMD's process is more advanced. AMD also works with IBM on fabrication, and IBM kicks ass on that front.

And it's beneficial for AMD because they'll be able to create IC's that contain the GPU on the chip. The "system on a chip" concept has been talked about for a long time, and this is another step closer to that. It'd be benecifial for would-be console systems, video ipod-like devices, PDAs, small form factor computers, and basically any media-related device.

Of course, for computer OEMs there will likely be a discount if they use AMD CPUs and GPUs.

I don't think we're going to see a shut out of options unless Intel decides not to grant AMD/ATI a license to their platform. But AMD's not in a position where they can make demands. AMD seems to be going in the opposite direction. Their "Torrenza" platform is an open architecture that opens up some new possibilities, for one.
"wow."

Offline Galford

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2006, 06:38:08 AM »
Here's an interesting little fact.  Intel makes the slowest integrated graphics around.  By acquiring ATI, AMD got an integrated graphics chipset(ATI Xpress 200) that makes beats any 9I5 GMA based setup like a red headed step child.

I am slightly worried about ATI's discreet chipsets however....
Wii Code - 8679 5256 1008 2077

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2006, 05:21:13 PM »
AMD>Intel
ATI>nVidia

nVidia almost stole the whole GPU industry (at least in the US) when they bought, and ruined, 3DFX.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline BigJim

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2006, 10:38:28 PM »
Ironically, Intel is the leader in GPUs (in marketshare). Damn those crappy integrated graphics.

But that's also why Intel might not be interested in acquiring nVidia. This might be a headache for nVidia in about 2 yrs. when the real consumer benefits start springing up.
"wow."

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2006, 06:13:07 PM »
Intel's integrated graphic chipsets make my boner go soft. My computer at work has an integrated Intel POS, and it doesn't even support 32-bit color. I had to install a VooDoo 3 (yes, you read that correctly) that I had in my garage from 2000, using unofficial drivers for Windows XP, just so I could get my TV Tuner to work. BTW, the 16MB VooDoo 3 blows away the integrated chip for gaming, and it's about 3 years older than the PC is.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2006, 06:29:59 PM »
lol.  I had a Voodoo 3. When I switched to a Geforce 2 Ti, Terrible support by the way, I gained Warcraft 3 at a speed lost to my other games.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Galford

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2006, 09:22:48 AM »
Brandogg, most likely your computer at work uses the infamous Intel 810 chipset.
It supports only 16bit 3d rendering.  It is based on Intel's ancient i740 or i752 chipset.
It's old to put it mildly.
Wii Code - 8679 5256 1008 2077