Author Topic: FIRST REV SCREENSHOT SCANS!!!!!  (Read 127279 times)

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
RE:Red Steel Topic, MORE new details! (last post)
« Reply #700 on: December 04, 2006, 05:40:43 AM »

Originally posted by: Professional 666 Secret to swordy success:  Set sword movements to "long", then BLOCK then LEFT RIGHT LEFT RIGHT LEFT RIGHT LEFT RIGHT LEFT RIGHT LEFT RIGHT, repeat, then SUCCESS.

The swordfights become more difficult later on when you fight enemies who can parry your parries and knock YOU off balance.

EDIT: And you got a Wii I take it? Grats, at last!
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #701 on: December 05, 2006, 03:55:13 AM »

Originally posted by: Smash_Brother
That's weird...

If what you're saying is correct, it must mean there was something which allowed you to actually beat Otori and get the good ending, something which I didn't even realize I did.

I'll check my respect level when I get home, but I spared everyone I fought and had a level of roughly 22,000 respect when I finished. What was your total?

Results of my test last night were inconclusive.  I couldn't lay a finger on Otori or his weapon at all.  I couldn't knock him off balance, and he dodged when I attacked his sword after a strong attack.  Again, maybe I just suck, but for him to be so far above every other enemy in the game that I can't do anything at all doesn't make sense.  My respect level was just under 20,000.  I kind of doubt that's the difference, though.  If the difference were based on respect, wouldn't it be a matter of level instead of points?

Also, I couldn't confirm what differences there were in the ending because the game didn't show it after I replayed the chapter.  It didn't even show me a results screen.  It just kicked me back to the main menu.  I don't know how I'm supposed to improve my scores this way, especially since I didn't get to choose weapons beforehand or even use the same ones I used originally.    

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
RE: Red Steel Topic, MORE new details! (last post)
« Reply #702 on: December 05, 2006, 03:43:59 PM »
Your scores improve: look at the replay level section and your score for the level will have improved. Seems they grade you heavily on time.

Did you try repeatedly doing the downward double attack by holding Z and swinging both down? Otori will block these and the sword will be damaged by it.

There doesn't seem to be a way to replay cutscenes, though, which is a REAL shame...
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

• Voice of Reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #703 on: December 06, 2006, 03:26:17 AM »
I decided to just go ahead and replay it from the beginning.  It's a real trip to play the early levels with complete mastery of the controls.  I felt totally invincible.  Weirdly, I'm actually encountering bugs this time through.  I don't know why my first time was mostly glitch free, but this time I've had a couple of freezes.  The first time I got hit, the game froze for half a minute.  After getting the Katana Giri, it hard locked the console with a black screen when it tried to load the next scene.

Oh, and thanks for telling me to use long sword movements.  It detects the actual direction of my slashes a hundred times better, and it's really not too different from the way I was playing it before.  I guess my concept of "short movements" doesn't match Ubisoft's very well, and that must have been my problem.

Even if my scores can improve, though, if the game forces me to replay using automatic weapons, it's going to be impossible to improve accuracy by much.  Not to mention what a bummer it is to not get to use my favorite pistol(s) whenever I want.

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #704 on: December 06, 2006, 05:35:49 AM »
It seems that it detects the sword motions better when you actually make an arc with the controller like you would a real sword.

And yeah, this is the only game I know where pistols are actually preferable to machine guns. Seriously, what other game has ever done that?

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #705 on: December 06, 2006, 06:27:55 AM »

Originally posted by: Smash_Brother
this is the only game I know where pistols are actually preferable to machine guns. Seriously, what other game has ever done that?
Halo.

It's really easy to snipe people at long distances using the zoom feature of the pistol.  I was nearly unstoppable when using it.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline WuTangTurtle

• aka ShaolinKilla
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #706 on: December 06, 2006, 07:14:41 AM »
lol, yeah the original Halo's pistol was the best gun ever.  You could snipe with it and ppl couldn't figure out where u were unlike the sniper rifle if u missed.  People hated me for owning them with it, too bad Halo 2 they ruined it along with the rest of the game.

• Voice of Reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #707 on: December 07, 2006, 02:36:58 AM »
All right, I have more to report on this endings thing.  I rarely used the special moves because they were too difficult to pull off.  I now see that this was because I was using the short movements setting.  After the switch, I was able to damage Otori's blade and defeat him.  However, before doing that, my replaying of the first few levels had increased my completion percent from 78 to 84, so I still can't say that that was the only difference.  Furthermore, even though I should have seen a different ending, the game still kicked me out to the menus after that fight.  I'll have to replay the entire game to see the good ending.  That is stupid.

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #708 on: December 07, 2006, 05:28:33 AM »
Yeah, I agree that they should have given you a way to replay cutscenes.

Another example of launchitis in Red Steel.

Also, I would have loved a "Blade Master" mode where you just fight progressively difficult sword-wielding opponents to see how far in you can survive. RE: DS had a master of knifing minigame along these lines and that was a lot of fun, but Pap64 beat all my scores in that one...

Offline trip1eX

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #709 on: December 08, 2006, 08:14:27 AM »
Finished it.    IT's a fun one.  And that makes it all the more sad they didn't take the time to improve the crappy frame rate and the 'not as good as they could be' controls.  The soundtrack rules in this one too btw.  

A game like this leaves me mixed.  I mean I enjoyed it, but I don't want to support developers releasing games that are half-polished.  So I recommend a rental or buy and sell when you're done.  

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #710 on: March 19, 2007, 05:46:38 AM »
Anyone getting this now that it has dropped to $30 at various retailers?

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #711 on: March 19, 2007, 05:52:28 AM »
I had sold it back and now I pay $22 a month for gamefly rentals and only buy the stuff I know will provide endless multiplayer replay value (like SSBB), but I had considered picking it up again at $20 or so.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #712 on: March 21, 2007, 06:37:18 AM »
I'm having trouble getting back into this game after beating both CoD 3 and Far Cry. Actually, I'm starting to seriously doubt Ubisoft's FPS chops after playing this game, their design feels... not fun.... oftentimes.

~Carmine "Cai" M. Red
Kairon@aol.com
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

• Voice of Reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #713 on: March 21, 2007, 07:13:11 AM »
But Ubisoft did Far Cry.

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #714 on: March 21, 2007, 07:24:51 AM »

Originally posted by: PartyBear
But Ubisoft did Far Cry.
Haha, Kairon got owned, especially since he's been defending Far Cry so much

I guess he could have meant Ubisoft Paris - they made Red Steel while Ubi Montreal developed Far Cry.
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #715 on: March 21, 2007, 08:01:26 AM »
By Ubisoft, I mean France. If you're in Montreal, you're not french, you're Canadian!

Oh, and also, IceCold.

~Carmine "Cai" M. Red
Kairon@aol.com
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.