Author Topic: The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword  (Read 618237 times)

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
Re: The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
« Reply #2075 on: December 01, 2011, 04:36:45 PM »
So I've only been able to play a bit to run around Skyloft and you know that feeling...that feeling that overwhelms you with complete confidence of what you are about to endure? Like the beginning of a great date or movie where the beginning just lets you know you're in for a hell of ride. Yeah...I got that. I haven't done much else but run around and swing the sword around like I was a samurai.

Can't wait to play more.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #2076 on: December 01, 2011, 05:14:09 PM »
I'm fighting my way the the mining facility now. I don't like it, too much electricity and quick sand.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2077 on: December 01, 2011, 05:19:00 PM »
I'm fighting my way the the mining facility now. I don't like it, too much electricity and quick sand.
I liked for most part but, I don't get why there aren't any of the little guys in there.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline yosh

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2078 on: December 01, 2011, 09:57:28 PM »
I just finished the The Sandship dungeon. I have on more dungeon left. I'm pretty disappointed by the game. All of the early 10/10 reviews didn't only made it worse. My hopes were really high after seeing the early scores since it seemed on par if not better than OoT, greatest game period, and then came crashing down. While the game is still enjoyable it's the worst 3D Zelda imo.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #2079 on: December 01, 2011, 10:26:24 PM »
I just finished the The Sandship dungeon. I have on more dungeon left. I'm pretty disappointed by the game. All of the early 10/10 reviews didn't only made it worse. My hopes were really high after seeing the early scores since it seemed on par if not better than OoT, greatest game period, and then came crashing down. While the game is still enjoyable it's the worst 3D Zelda imo.

I couldn't disagree more. I am eating it all up! The setting, the dungeons, bosses, weapons, I love it all!
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline marty

• Score: -96
    • View Profile
« Reply #2080 on: December 01, 2011, 11:52:32 PM »
I've just talked to the water people and am doing something... fire for a sword?  something that i'm forced into even though I've had zero problems beating up the bushes and random snails or whatever the sword is used for.  I tried playing the other night but after Fi talked for 2 minutes about something, I wandered into the next area, saw nothing of interest, saved and turned the Wii off.  25 or so hours in and it's just so pointless.

Link to the Past is one of my all time favorite games and there's so little of that game in SS it's amazing how they're even supposed to be part of the same franchise.  It's a lot like the original Star Wars movies and the Prequels.  Yeah, cosmetically they're similar, and there is a lot more money spent on production, but fundamentally, they're worlds apart.  SS is like a zelda mini-game collection.  No overworld, no cohesion--just jump around to all these little tasks and have to sit through bad writing and walls of text and repeat.  I know some people like this kind of thing but the zelda series used to be something else entirely.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #2081 on: December 02, 2011, 12:45:53 AM »
I haven't done much else but run around and swing the sword around like I was a samurai.

You just made me realize that in this game Link doesn't even get a chance to get an armor... maybe when the next LoZ game for the Wii U is out. I hope.

Offline Shorty McNostril

• Blue text is gone :(
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2082 on: December 02, 2011, 12:50:27 AM »
Just finished it.  The final Boss infuriated me to no end.  Why?  Because the damn motion rubbish makes it so painful to do a skyward strike.  Does anyone have any success in getting the sword pointing up first time consistently?  It's just terrible.  Here I am trying to charge my sword with lighting struggling to find the sweet spot.  Meanwhile, Demise (Stupid name btw) has charged his and is lunging towards me only to hit me just after I finally get a charge.

Is it just me that has problems charging a strike?

edit: fix tags
« Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 12:52:10 AM by Shorty McNostril »

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #2083 on: December 02, 2011, 01:05:43 AM »
Raise the sword and turn your wrist inward some what, thats how I get into that "locked" charging position with ease.

Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #2084 on: December 02, 2011, 01:18:36 AM »
Meanwhile, Demise (Stupid name btw) has charged his and is lunging towards me only to hit me just after I finally get a charge.

You can dodge and charge at the same time. It worked for me after I came to the realization that I had to change my movements because he was doing what you said also to me.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2085 on: December 02, 2011, 02:10:30 AM »
You can dodge and charge at the same time. It worked for me after I came to the realization that I had to change my movements because he was doing what you said also to me.

Yeah, this is why the final boss became a total joke to me when I figured this out.  All you have to do is what til he summons lighting, then raise your sword to get the lighting to charge up your Skyward Strike, then side step his lighting attack and then hit him with your Skyward Strike.  When that stuns him just run over and attack, and then when he starts blocking again, move away and repeat.  I mean seriously, the first Ghirahim boss fight in the first dungeon put up more of a fight.  At least he'd dodge attacks, charge at you, teleport and fire attacks that had to actually be knocked away instead of easily side stepped.

That's my whole problem with Demise.  He's only impressive at first when you don't know how your suppose to fight him but as soon as you discover how to actually hurt him, he becomes so easy and boring.  I mean, he's the final boss of the game that's built around Motion+, but his fight barely even requires the use of it.  The first phase is all about stabbing him which was easily possible on traditional controllers and the second phase is just charging your Skyward Strike which only requires people to hold the Wiimote Up and that's it.  In comparison most of the other boss fights, especially the Ghirahim fights, require gamers to constantly be adapting and attacking from different angles which was never possible on traditional controllers.  Even when you figure out how to hurt them, they're still really fun because of how interactive the fights are.

I know I'm ranting to much about this but it just blows my mind that after all the other great boss fights that took full advantage of the motion controls to really make the fights more engaging then the previous 3D Zelda's, that the final boss would just be so lame in comparison and feel like he could have easily been thrown into one of the previous 3D Zelda's and the fight would be the same thing.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #2086 on: December 02, 2011, 02:19:05 AM »
I think we should all take some time out of this thread and thank whoever invented spoiler text.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Shorty McNostril

• Blue text is gone :(
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2087 on: December 02, 2011, 06:15:12 AM »
I know how to beat him  Like I said, I finished the game. 

But it was unbearably frustrating because of the aforementioned issue. The whole problem was trying to get the damn game to recognize the fact I was trying to charge a Skyward Strike, not wave my sword around in random directions.  Because the control was so imprecise, the time it took me to successfully charge my sword was tripled.  Thus resulting in me getting bulldozed or attacked by his strike from afar.  Which means I had to try all over again.   Which consequently led to much weeping and gnashing of teeth.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #2088 on: December 02, 2011, 08:59:57 AM »
I completed the second dungeon last night. I'm slowly getting the hang of the new controls or at least making the most of it. I like them for everything except sword fighting so far. For aiming, excellent. For flying, also excellent even if I don't particularly like flying to begin with. I can admit that the controls work well. For sword fighting, I started waggling a lot and still getting through the game just fine. When I was actually trying to swing vertically or horizontally, I wouldn't be getting the results I needed so I just started shaking the controller rapidly in every which direction and those Lizalfos were toast. Oddly, once I started playing Skyward Sword more like Twilight Princess, it became easier. Maybe that won't work as I get further into the game but it worked well through and entire dungeon. I found myself just wishing that the sword could be mapped onto button presses. Ironically, for more precision. I'm still getting used to pressing A to use items since I keep pressing B.

I like the Impressionist inspired graphics a lot but I generally hate the character designs. Zelda looks very plain and Link looks like a girl. On an unrelated note, Link sounds especially Japanese in this game. I know his grunts and yells have always been provided by Japanese actors but I can really tell in this game, especially his "falling in lava" whimper. Not a bad thing by any means, just an observation.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #2089 on: December 02, 2011, 11:47:19 AM »
I think my inability to steamroll through this game is helping my perceptions of it.  Ceric was right that I finally ran into my first fit of gamer’s fatigue with this game.   
I hadn’t had a problem with any of the fetch quests until having to gather the sacred water for the dragon.  I really don’t care for the first dungeon location as-is, and having to trek through it the second time wasn’t any more enjoyable, even if it took me a matter of minutes to plow through it.  At that point, running through the same area became tedious.  Even when I was doing the stealth area I found it entertaining because I basically ran through all of it, collecting the stamina orbs to keep a quick pace while collecting those drops.   

With that being said, once I finish this dungeon I’m going to take a break from the game for a bit with the exception of gathering components to upgrade my items.  I figure if I ration this game out effectively, I could avoid paying for any more games until January, and I don’t want to play this game so much that I get burnt out on it.  I think some (NOTE THAT I SAID SOME!) of the sour grapes in this thread seem like a mix of pie in the sky expectations coupled with marathon runs of the game.

I completed the second dungeon last night. I'm slowly getting the hang of the new controls or at least making the most of it. I like them for everything except sword fighting so far. For aiming, excellent. For flying, also excellent even if I don't particularly like flying to begin with. I can admit that the controls work well. For sword fighting, I started waggling a lot and still getting through the game just fine. When I was actually trying to swing vertically or horizontally, I wouldn't be getting the results I needed so I just started shaking the controller rapidly in every which direction and those Lizalfos were toast. Oddly, once I started playing Skyward Sword more like Twilight Princess, it became easier. Maybe that won't work as I get further into the game but it worked well through and entire dungeon. I found myself just wishing that the sword could be mapped onto button presses. Ironically, for more precision. I'm still getting used to pressing A to use items since I keep pressing B.

You'll run into some enemies that require more precise slashing/poking, but so far where i'm at they're not to a point where it'll completely hinder your ability to move forward in the game.

I like the Impressionist inspired graphics a lot but I generally hate the character designs.  Zelda looks very plain and Link looks like a girl.

I felt the same way about Zelda's character design at first, but for some reason her "plainness" has grown on me and I think it's made her character more endearing to me.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 11:51:00 AM by lolmonade »

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #2090 on: December 02, 2011, 11:54:20 AM »
I think my inability to steamroll through this game is helping my perceptions of it.  Ceric was right that I finally ran into my first fit of gamer’s fatigue with this game.   
I hadn’t had a problem with any of the fetch quests until having to gather the sacred water for the dragon.  I really don’t care for the first dungeon location as-is, and having to trek through it the second time wasn’t any more enjoyable, even if it took me a matter of minutes to plow through it.  At that point, running through the same area became tedious.  Even when I was doing the stealth area I found it entertaining because I basically ran through all of it, collecting the stamina orbs to keep a quick pace while collecting those drops.   

With that being said, once I finish this dungeon I’m going to take a break from the game for a bit with the exception of gathering components to upgrade my items.  I figure if I ration this game out effectively, I could avoid paying for any more games until January, and I don’t want to play this game so much that I get burnt out on it.  I think some (NOTE THAT I SAID SOME!) of the sour grapes in this thread seem like a mix of pie in the sky expectations coupled with marathon runs of the game.

You'll run into some enemies that require more precise slashing/poking, but so far where i'm at they're not to a point where it'll completely hinder your ability to move forward in the game.

I like the Impressionist inspired graphics a lot but I generally hate the character designs.  Zelda looks very plain and Link looks like a girl.

I felt the same way about Zelda's character design at first, but for some reason her "plainness" has grown on me and I think it's made her character more endearing to me.

That's where I hit and I even started the 4th dungeon but getting the Sacred water had soured me so much with other options to play that I haven't picked it back up.

I think Zelda is fine but I don't think she is the most attractive person in Skyloft.  Which I actually find sort of refreshing.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline yosh

• View Profile
« Reply #2091 on: December 02, 2011, 02:37:36 PM »
I'm glad that we can actually be critical of this game here over at IGN if you say anything bad about the game the same 10 people who lurk the boards all day and have been doing so for years will just spew fanboyism at you and try to make it seem as if something is wrong with you. I love Nintendo and their games, but to act like everything they do or make is perfect is just crazy. It also doesn't help that the board Mod is in their fanboy group with them. Anyways enough with the IGN rant.

I just got all three flames and have about a few hours until I complete the game and these are my pro's and cons so far

Pros
- Combat, I wouldn't mind if they went back to a controller, but I really like the Wii Mote combat
- Upgrade system, it's nice to see it included even though I didn't go out of my way to get any materials
- Art style was executed very nicely
- Origin story
- Characters, they have way more personality now especially the baddy, Ghirahim, you can sense the evil oozing out of him.
- Music, I thought that it was some of the best in the series

Cons
- Difficulty, the game is way too easy and I only died twice. Once was from my stupidity.
- Fi, she's annoying as **** and contributes to the game being way too easy
- Linear, the game is as straightforward as possible. There is no exploring to be done as everything is literally on your path
- Art style, even though it was executed professionally I don't like it. It takes away from the despair the setting is trying to create and when I was fighting that Leviathan boss I wanted something like in God of War 3 not some octopus that I'd see on Nickelodeon.
- PuzZelda, there is no exploration just puzzles. To me Zelda has always been a balance between the two, but now its all puzzles like the DS Zelda games. It's like I'm sorry that I don't walk around with my DS strapped to my wrist 24/7 I like to do other things than solve puzzles all damn day.
- Setting/characters looks, it just all felt way too Nickelodeon for me. From Leviathan boss fight to those robot things in the desert.

Like I said in my previous post the game is still enjoyable even though it seems like a chore to play now. The game definitely suffered from all of the hype. Perfect 10 reviews, Reggie and Nintendo saying best Zelda game ever and then topping that off with saying best Nintendo game ever.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 02:50:37 PM by yosh »

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #2092 on: December 02, 2011, 02:54:29 PM »
With all that said I do think this game lays a nice framework for a Zelda 2 remake... <.< >,>

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #2093 on: December 02, 2011, 02:56:54 PM »
For those of you who don't like the motion controls, would this game be more forgiving if the sword motions and item control were mapped to a 2nd analog stick? (example: for sword fighting, left to right analog control movement for left to right slash, up to down analog control movement for up to down slash, push-in analog stick to do a jab motion, etc)

I hope they maintain this more detailed sword play in future iterations somehow, instead of just mashing an "A" button when the opening comes.

Offline yosh

• View Profile
« Reply #2094 on: December 02, 2011, 03:05:41 PM »
For those of you who don't like the motion controls, would this game be more forgiving if the sword motions and item control were mapped to a 2nd analog stick? (example: for sword fighting, left to right analog control movement for left to right slash, up to down analog control movement for up to down slash, push-in analog stick to do a jab motion, etc)

I hope they maintain this more detailed sword play in future iterations somehow, instead of just mashing an "A" button when the opening comes.

That's actually a really good idea and should be a secondary option

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #2095 on: December 02, 2011, 03:10:54 PM »

Ironically that is exactly what Skylanders does with the motion controls.  If it's a waggle, throw, or key insert (all actions you do in the Wii version) the PS3 version translates those to the right analog.  Though some of those you could have easily done with the six axis.

Offline alegoicoe

• View Profile
« Reply #2096 on: December 02, 2011, 11:12:26 PM »
i just beat the game today after 38 hours, i enjoyed the game alot but am ready to move forward to a new zelda experience that does not involve motion controls or sd graphics.
Nintendo Network ID: LivByDCreed
Switch Friend Code: SW-4906-9561-1308

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #2097 on: December 03, 2011, 01:32:43 AM »
Yeah Yosh they did that with Twilight Princess, one of the big complains among the staff of Twilight Princess was they didn't WANT to maintain a constant realistic style because it constrained them. A balance was struck between Wind Waker and Twilight Princess in style. The Zelda staff like to make creepy Tingle people who dance around in green leotards, hang from balloons and spread confetti. If you don't like that stuff then you are an unusual Zelda fan.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #2098 on: December 03, 2011, 03:47:49 AM »
Nick, Nick, Nick, Nick, Nickelodeon!

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #2099 on: December 03, 2011, 04:04:51 AM »
Nick,

Yes?

Nick,

Yes?

Nick,

YES?

Nick,

YES?!!

Nickelodeon!

Oh.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.