Author Topic: The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword  (Read 618296 times)

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Re: The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
« Reply #2025 on: November 27, 2011, 08:00:19 PM »
so when enemies die do they drop weapons like in WW?  that was missed in TP
No.  People said they did but, they don't.  Very Disappointed in that.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #2026 on: November 27, 2011, 08:04:00 PM »
so when enemies die do they drop weapons like in WW?  that was missed in TP

No.  They may drop "treasures" so you can craft your own weapon upgrades, but only one enemy in the game that I know of drops their own weapon for you to grab and that's part of the fight.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #2027 on: November 27, 2011, 08:46:53 PM »
I haven't been following this thread for fear of spoilers, but I finally got to spend some time with this one over the weekend.  Loving it.

However, am I the only one having issues with Retard-Link, running around with his sword waving high above his head?  I guess it's just how I hold my Wii Remote, but I find myself really distracted by this and having to put my sword up so I'm not spending the entire time thinking what a moron Link is.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #2028 on: November 27, 2011, 08:53:53 PM »
Beat the 3rd temple, loved the unique time shifting mechanics and the boss was fun, though extremely easy (it seems like the bosses have been getting easier since the first boss battle). Have to say I am continually impressed by the controls, they work so well, I can see why people say they cannot imagine playing another Zelda game without them, I especially love controlling the beetle.

Have to say though I am not looking forward to the silent realm which looks like I am getting close to.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #2029 on: November 27, 2011, 08:54:58 PM »
Bob, I think he looked weird with it straight out myself. I started holding the WiiMote out or over my opposite shoulder, ready to slash at an enemy at any time.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #2030 on: November 27, 2011, 09:02:48 PM »
Have to say though I am not looking forward to the silent realm which looks like I am getting close to.

Honestly, as much as I hate forced stealth sections the Silent Realms aren't that bad, and I've completed all 3 of them.  You get 90 seconds of free wandering every time you collect a tear, and the environments aren't that big to begin with.  The biggest danger is just losing track of where the tears are because your 30 second tear beacon power-up wore off.

I've taken a few days off from playing this game because I overdid it when I was playing it.  Besides, that forced underwater collectathon w/ the music notes late in the game was just the last straw and it completely killed my interest.  I plan on getting back to the game either tonight or tomorrow now that I've recharged my batteries a bit just watching movies, but honestly I'd much rather play Skyrim or Xenoblade than Zelda right now.  There's just way too much pointless filler in Zelda.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 11:41:12 PM by broodwars »

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #2031 on: November 27, 2011, 09:29:45 PM »
The starter for my Blazer, which costed me $65, quit working and I had to cancel my preoder for this game to buy it. So, until I can come up with the money then I am stuck being envious of all of you.  :'(
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline Shorty McNostril

• Blue text is gone :(
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2032 on: November 27, 2011, 09:31:37 PM »
Has anyone completed that digging mini game in the volcano world?

Offline GaMMa

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2033 on: November 28, 2011, 12:03:26 AM »
Has anyone completed that digging mini game in the volcano world?
I was able to beat Easy mode, but can't beat Intermediate or Hard. I'm curious if anyone out there has beaten those modes. It's a tough mini game.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #2034 on: November 28, 2011, 12:05:05 AM »
The bastard took damn near all of my rupies. I thought I'd figure it out eventually, but I sadly did not.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #2035 on: November 28, 2011, 12:36:26 AM »
a drunken post-thanksgiving me thought of the best possible way to play this game:

February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #2036 on: November 28, 2011, 12:37:52 AM »
rageface.jpg.

My Wii just locked up while playing.  It's been a little while since I hit a save point too.

Just watch, when I get back to it, my whole save file is going to be corrupted or something.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #2037 on: November 28, 2011, 01:25:00 AM »
Honestly, as much as I hate forced stealth sections the Silent Realms aren't that bad, and I've completed all 3 of them.

There's one more.

Besides, that forced underwater collectathon w/ the music notes late in the game was just the last straw and it completely killed my interest. There's just way too much pointless filler in Zelda.

You've still got a bunch more to do in the game. Lots of what you call filler.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #2038 on: November 28, 2011, 05:45:08 AM »
so i heard you can take a **** in the game?
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Killer_Man_Jaro

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #2039 on: November 28, 2011, 07:30:50 AM »
Assignments have forced me to slow down my playthrough, but I'm still making progress. The last thing I did was save after completing the third Siren Realm (or is it Silent Realm?) sequence. Note to all not up to this point: when you get here, do not leave the tears located at the top of the area until last. It couldn't have been more intense - I had four Guardians hot on my heels for almost a minute as I ran for the final tear, rolled past one swing and got it by the skin of my teeth. Not a good way to do it. Really though, I wouldn't call these sections stealth gameplay. On the contrary, if you were to be cautious, as a stealthy person should be, you'd probably regret it. Succeeding in the Siren Realm is all about maximising the 90 seconds between each tear.

The only real complaint I've got at the moment is that each time you turn the game off and back on, it seems to treat treasures and bugs as if they're being picked up for the first time.

Still very much enjoying Skyward Sword on the whole. Those of you who enjoyed the mechanic of the third region and dungeon will be pleased to hear that this portion of the game isn't the only time it pops up. It's not just the puzzles; the visual effect itself is very striking when you explore the Sand Sea.
Tom Malina
UK Correspondent
-----------------------------
"You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #2040 on: November 28, 2011, 07:52:51 AM »
I spent some more time with the game this weekend. So far, I'm still not hooked. The game is filled with little annoyances that alone would be fine but stacked together are affecting the experience.

Robot Fi is such an ass. I hate her. She no where near as interesting as Midna and she's even more intrusive than Navi. "the integrity of your shield is..." No ****, I know and I knew before the 15th time you told me. "There's a 93% chance Zelda..." NEVER TELL ME THE ODDS! And, bitch, I still don't know how to pronounce your name.

Voice acting. This series needs it.

Dowsing is a lame gameplay mechanic.

I still hate flying. I don't find it enjoyable. And you always drop in the same place on Skyloft. Everything about flying has pissed me off so far. It's like Nintendo decided that people enjoyed riding Epona too much so they did the opposite and came up with flying on giant birds and diving off of them and onto tiny islands with like a single chest.

Ghirahim broke my shield when I wasn't even using it. I restarted the boss out of principle just so I could unequip it. I've avoided using the shield because it's so weak at this point.

I like the controls but I think I still prefer regular old traditional controls. I'll reserve my final thoughts on this until I finish the game but so far, I find them more distracting than good.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
    • View Profile
« Reply #2041 on: November 28, 2011, 11:27:02 AM »
so i heard you can take a **** in the game?

Yup.

The only real complaint I've got at the moment is that each time you turn the game off and back on, it seems to treat treasures and bugs as if they're being picked up for the first time.

So true.

It's not just the puzzles; the visual effect itself is very striking when you explore the Sand Sea.

While I played in that area I was always hoping there was a lot more to explore.

This is now the earliest Zelda game, set before Ocarina of Time.  Where does Minish cap fit? I thought that was the origin of his green hat.

Well Ezlo was from the sky, and he got turned into a bird-like cap, so I'm guessing that Ezlo just introduced to that Link the usage of a green cap.

There's a lot of inkling connections in SS to what other LoZ games have shown us before, and the ending definitely assures that this is the first LoZ. If anything, now I'm not sure how Nintendo is going to make the next LoZ (Wii U/3DS) game.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2011, 11:48:22 AM by Caliban »

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #2042 on: November 28, 2011, 08:03:51 PM »
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #2043 on: November 28, 2011, 08:50:26 PM »
I finally saw that brown, smiling box in my postbox today, which signifies that the game has arrived. As I expected, the gold Wiimote looks better in person than it does in the pics, though that white B button sure does stick out. I've already spent at least an hour wandering around the town, then another fifteen minutes just playing with the sword in the training room. I'm not so sure I'll finish this by the end of the year.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #2044 on: November 28, 2011, 11:50:26 PM »
So I started playing Zelda again, and I went through and upgraded all my equipment to the max level pretty much because there's nothing else to do with my rupees and treasures now.  I completed my business with my third trip to the desert (no, there's no padding in this game whatsoever), which was pretty easy because I already knew what to do after having talked with an NPC earlier.  What I had to do to solve that puzzle was a lot less monumental-feeling than I expected considering what a big event it should be in Zelda history.  I was tempted to do the Boss Rush mode that unlocked then, but I don't think I've fought enough bosses yet to unlock the big reward for finishing that mode.

So now I'm dealing with my 3rd and hopefully final trip to the volcanic area.  And...I'm thrown into a Wind Waker-style forced stealth section.  As James would say, "Thanks, game."  Ugh...

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
    • View Profile
« Reply #2045 on: November 29, 2011, 12:31:03 AM »
I was tempted to do the Boss Rush mode that unlocked then, but I don't think I've fought enough bosses yet to unlock the big reward for finishing that mode.

You can unlock all rewards (heart piece, indestructible shield, and even more rupees), but in order to win each one you have to reach its specific battle order, take the prize, and do it again two more times. The only boss you won't be able to fight is the last one, as that is only possible in Hero Mode.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #2046 on: November 29, 2011, 01:08:38 AM »
How to Play Skyward Sword
1. Collect ****.
2. Read during cutscene.
3. Collect more ****.
4. Boss.
5. Go back to step 1.

I'm still not impressed. It's discouraging. I'm collecting more **** and I'm beginning to not care. One thing I forgot to mention earlier: Like every other Zelda game, the game beeps when you're low on health and as an added bonus, Link blinks red (I don't remember if this was done in Twilight Princess or the DS games). On top of that, Robot Fi keeps reminding me that I'm low on health. I know! I fucking know because the game constantly tells me in at least 3 other ways (the heart meter, the beeping, and Link blinking). I don't have any potions and these blades of grass aren't giving me hearts. Can you please shut the **** up, Fi? There's nothing more I can do. I wish there was a Pro/Shut-the-hell-up-Fi option for playing the game. I'm not even in the second dungeon and I don't think I can take 45 or so more hours of her nagging. And people complained about Navi. Bitch, please. I just played Ocarina of Time again a few months ago. Navi was awesome. She said something maybe like once every 20 minutes if you strayed from the main quest.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #2047 on: November 29, 2011, 02:52:25 AM »
I'm stuck in the mines with the quicksand.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #2048 on: November 29, 2011, 03:03:46 AM »
Just completed the last Silent Realm after probably 4 attempts at it.  That was really a really terrible forced stealth section.  The 3rd trip to the volcanic realm felt particularly pointless and false, and it kind of felt like it was ripping off Chrono Trigger a bit (yeah, I know...those kind of sequences have been in other RPGs, but the way this played out felt exactly like a notable sequence in Chrono Trigger, only tremendously lamer and lazy since it was yet again Nintendo just re-using an environment they already had, just with more lava everywhere and some tunnel points).  And this game doesn't deserve to be anywhere near Chrono Trigger's company on just about anything.  What, Nintendo?  Did you really think I lost my appreciation for the Slingshot and Bomb?  That after going through entire dungeons dedicated to these items that I somehow didn't fully appreciate their usefulness?

Still, at least it wasn't as bad as the underwater music note sequence.  That section was so bad, I think it replaced Atlantica from Kingdom Hearts 2 as the worst music-based mini-game in all of gaming.  That takes talent, because Atlantica is an abomination in Kingdom Hearts 2 (though at least the "final boss" of it is set to a kind of neat cut song from The Little Mermaid).

EDIT: Well, it's a good thing they pointed this stupid thing out earlier in the game, or I'd never think to look there.  I was wondering when I'd finally get to do something with that.

EDIT 2: Well, the dungeon I'm in right now feels like the Point of No Return with the way the various rooms are done and given what the quest here is for.  That being the case, I'm going to revert to my save file before I entered this dungeon and try to do some clean-up on Heart Pieces and Goddess Cubes.  I also need to do the Boss Rush mode, just for two of the prizes in particular (it just doesn't feel right finishing a Zelda game without either of them).  Whether I'll finish the game in the near future depends on how incredibly annoying it is to get the rest of the heart pieces.  And judging by the fact that I still need to do at least the bug castle probably multiple times as well as the roulette wheel, that's looking pretty annoying so it'll probably be a while.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2011, 03:43:28 AM by broodwars »

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #2049 on: November 29, 2011, 07:39:25 AM »
Just got the windmill to align the two sails to the tower of light, and went into that cloud dome area.  I think I may take a break from the storyline to resource gather and upgrade my shields/items after this, as I don’t want to burn through it without doing some mindless exploring.  This also feels like a turning point in the story, and I don’t want to get too invested into it without doing some of the side stuff.

So far the combat is still the most entertaining part of the game.  I enjoy how there isn’t just one approach to defeating enemies, and I like that the shield is an optional item, as it just seems like an easy button when you’re having trouble figuring out the patterns or useful when you’re just wanting to run through them quickly.

The puzzles are definitely a nice level of difficulty for me: difficult enough to confuse me for a few minutes, but not as hard as to stump me for hours, or if they do, I feel stupid once I solve them for not finding it quicker.   

I’m not having the same issues with tedium that other people here are, but maybe it’s because I haven’t gotten far enough into the game for it to be a problem, or that I don’t play enough games with gathering quests in general to aggravate me.