Author Topic: Pandora's Tower - Video Trailer  (Read 29898 times)

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
Re: Pandora's Tower - Video Trailer
« Reply #50 on: April 13, 2012, 03:24:50 AM »
Well the game is out in Europe right now. I made a post about Pandora's Tower month starting on the site.

http://nintemple.blogspot.com/2012/04/pandoras-tower-month-starts-now.html
It should also be noted that the site has been apart of the movement since the beginning.

Also I should mention that GAME has once again started selling the game.

http://www.game.co.uk/en/pandoras-tower-limited-edition-167904?pageSize=20&searchTerm=Pandoras%20Tower&cm_mmc=Twitter-_-Digital-_-PandorasTowerLmtEd-_-Link
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 01:50:22 PM by Maxi »
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline Quadran

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 17, 2012, 01:34:51 PM »
I just got the game delivered at home. Hopefully I can play a couple of hours during the weekend and give some impressions.

Btw,
NoE has a nice suprise for all those who bought the 3 games from operation rainfall. See the official homepage for more information.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #52 on: April 18, 2012, 12:59:42 AM »
That sounds like a plan Quadran. Can't wait to see the impressions.

Well Operation Rainfall has come up with an interesting plan to get Pandora's Tower over here. Basically they are going to make a promotional kit for 6 publishers. Here is the full details.

http://operationrainfall.com/help-pitch-pandoras-tower-to-publishers/
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 06:14:36 PM by Maxi »
Alexis, she/her/Miss

I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

« Reply #53 on: April 18, 2012, 12:20:18 PM »
That's a fairly interesting idea to get it here.  I do hope that Nintendo is open to other publishers here, and not just XSeed, so this has more of a chance of succeeding.  Of course ideally I'd rather just have that Nintendo logo on the bottom right on the box showing it's published by Nintendo.  Will The Last Story still have that, along with XSeed's logo? Or will it supercede the Nintendo logo?  As a huge first party game collector, I actually care about this, haha.
3DS Friend Code:  2836-0087-6663
Nintendo Network ID: PadawanOfWindu

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #54 on: April 18, 2012, 05:59:52 PM »
Will The Last Story still have that, along with XSeed's logo? Or will it supercede the Nintendo logo?  As a huge first party game collector, I actually care about this, haha.

Most likely not. In the past when Nintendo let another publisher publish one of their games (like Cubivore), it did not include their logo. So the North American version will most likely only have the Xseed Games logo.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Quadran

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 22, 2012, 07:59:43 AM »
Here are my impressions of the game as promised earlier. Caveat: I've just played a couple of hours (6-7 hours), so this is a based on the first part of the game (I have currently cleared 4 towers / stages).

When the game starts, A couple of short cutscenes are shown in which the premises for the story are set. (take a look at the video in Maxim's post if you want the details). These cutscenes have some big omissions in what has happened up until the, but these gaps are filled throughout the game with flashbacks.These flashbacks slowly reveal what has happened upon the day of the harvest festival, how Aeron and Elena met.
The story so far is that Elena is cursed on the day of the harvest ceremony. Chaos breaks loose (i currently do not know the exact reason, I hope this is told during one of the flash backs) and Aeron and Elena have to flee the town while being chased by the army. Elena's curse slowly changes her to a beast, but according to Mavda (I have a hard time trusting her) a cure can be found at a remote area of the continent, i.e. at the thirteen towers that are suspended above a deep valley. Your task is the ascend each of the thirteen towers and bring back the necessary ingredients to lift the curse.

You start the game at the observatory near the towers. As mentioned before, You'll need to ascend each of the thirteen towers in a hack 'n slash fashion while battling through a pack of monsters and beating bosses to get the necessary ingredients for lifting the curse.
The curse also has a central role during your play time in the towers, as the curse slowly consumes Elena thus providing a time limit in which you have to clear the tower. This time limit can be extended by providing Elena flesh from defeated monsters. This means that you're not only trying to quickly climb the tower, but also looking for shortcuts to descend to the exit when time is running out. For me it means that i have to at least ascend the tower twice to complete it, because I fear that I'll run out of time when facing the boss.
The combat is based around melee attacks combined with a long range grappling hook/chain. The chain can be used in different ways during the combat, e.g. you can bind enemies (limit their mobility or stop their attack), swing them around (only the smaller ones), rip off armor,... . The chain is also used as a grappling hook to tear out items, money or flesh of a defeated foe. You'll have to be carefull when fighting enemies, because if you take to much hits, items or equipment can break (which make them almost useless). Although repair is available in the observatory, it'll cost you some money (hint: it's not cheap).
Aside of the combat the dungeons also features puzzles which must be solved to progress through the towers or to get to new items. The chain plays a central role in these puzzles as it's used to move boxes, active switches or just to get you to a different floor. It can also be used to grab some items or money in hard to reach areas of the room.
At the top of the tower a boss awaits you (strangely, the guardian does not attack unless you attack. I hope this is explained further in the story). To defeat the boss you'll need to attack the glowing orb. This fight mostly uses the chain to bind and to weaken the boss. When you've depleted its life, you can yank the orb (master flesh) out of its body.
After defeating the boss, you'll return to the observatory to offer the master flesh to Elena. When she consumes this meat, the curse is weakened a bit and you'll be set off to the next tower to repeat the cycle of ascending the tower, solving puzzles and defeating bosses.

Aside of the hack 'n slash combat mechanic, the game also provides some RPG elements. Experience is gained from defeating monsters, allowing you to level up and gain more health, strength,... . Items found in the tower can be used as starting materials to create usefull items, link potions, armor, amulets, ... or to upgrade your weapons. You can always visit previously cleared towers to get some more materials. Killing monsters can earn you money, but Mavda pays you also for manuscripts found in the towers or excessive flesh. This money can be used to buy items or gifts.
An aspect of the game is to give Elena gifts to strengthen your bond between her and you (I haven't noticed any effect yet). An added bonus of these gifts is that Elena can use some of them to upgrade your pouch (allowing you to carry more items) or the decorate the observatory.

The game uses the strengths of the Wiimote + nunchuck to provide a good controller scheme (classic controller is supported, but I haven't used it). Movement is mapped to the analog stick, most of the actions (attack, defend, dodge, open inventory,...) are mapped to buttons and the pointer is used to aim the chain. The only motion controls that I've encountered are to rip out items/flesh with the chain by flicking the remote upwards and swinging chained monsters around, by wagling the nunchuck.

In conclusion: This game is geared towards people who like action games with some RPG elements incorporated. If you're a pure RPG player, this game is probably not for you. Also this game is packaged in a black box for a reason, do not let you fool by the 12+ rating (IMHO 15+ , were the guys at PEGI sleeping?) it has some disturbing (although more implied) content. 
« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 08:14:45 AM by Quadran »

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #56 on: April 22, 2012, 08:11:06 AM »
From what I have seen of videos and Lets plays that sums up the game well.

Also one thing that I want to point out.

Giving Elena items actually improves her love towards you and that can improve the endings in the game.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline Quadran

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 28, 2012, 02:32:58 PM »
Also one thing that I want to point out.

Giving Elena items actually improves her love towards you and that can improve the endings in the game.

Thanks for the tip, I'll keep it in mind.

I've just finished the fifth tower, although I had some troubles with unlocking the Guardian's gate. I didn't notice a ledge which I could grapple. This caused me to run around looking high and low for the anchor point of the last chain. Only after looking carefully at the map, I found a suspicious (vertical) area. Only after carefully examining this area I found a reachable ledge leading me to the last anchor point. Because the aimless wandering I had to do a few return trips to the observatory to offer Elena some meat to buy me some more time.
This place was also an ideal harvesting ground for base materials. It allowed me to upgrade my scythe a couple of times to level 2. This allows me to do some more combo attacks (after charging your weapon).
The boss itself was not that hard thanks to the notes that are scattered in the tower. If you see a red flashing trinket on the ground, pick it up, because it contains some vital information on the tower or the guardian. Those notes also contain bits of information about the world and history of the last decades. The cellar in the observatory is also an ideal place to find some usefull notes. If you find unreadable notes, you can give them to Elena for translation. Most of these notes contain (alternate) recipes for items (potions,...). Mavda also buys these notes, thus providing the much needed funds for buying additional goods, gifts,... .

I'll keep on posting further impressions while I slowly advance through the game.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #58 on: April 29, 2012, 08:59:13 PM »
Little bit more confirmation on it coming to North America.

http://nintemple.blogspot.com/2012/04/secondary-confirmation-of-pandoras.html
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #59 on: May 08, 2012, 04:46:40 AM »
Well this coming 11th is going to be  the last and final push from OPRainfall to contact Nintendo about Pandora's tower. https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=985304&l=a73265078b&id=212751422093743

They also did a 3 part series on the music of the game and how it takes some classical takes from some classical composers. here here and here.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 07:23:09 PM by Maxi »
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline Quadran

• View Profile
« Reply #60 on: May 08, 2012, 05:46:25 PM »
I've had some spare time last week, which allowed me to finish the game.

I was a little bit disappointed when a hit the second part of the game. This was caused by the design of the fifth to the tenth tower. Each of these towers was an advanced version of one of the first five towers, with a changed layout, new / changed puzzles and new bosses. This was redeemed in the last part of the game, as the 11th and 12th tower feature a whole new mechanic, which reminds me of the dark world / light world in Metroid Prime:Echoes.
The endgame / ending is affected by your affinity with Elena. Because I had already raised Elena's affection by talking a lot with her and giving her presents, the game presented me with the best ending, which was satisfactionary.

Some additional remarks
  • Enemy spawns, Enemy behavior and item drops can alter based on the time. Some items can only be found at a specific moment during the day (talk to Mavda, she will reveal when those items can be found)
  • You can change your play style based on the equipped weapon. I preferred an upgraded scythe, which allowed me to unleash a deadly combo and allowing me to hit enemies 360° around me.
  • The chain can be used to reduce enemy mobility/attack/defense based on which part is bound. The more tension is raised before binding the enemy, the longer the binding will last.
  • The fixed camera perspective makes some battles more difficult. It's frustrating to be hit by an offscreen enemy.
  • It's a pity that the LE does not contain a sound track, because this game has excellent ambient music.
There is some replayability in the game, depending on:
  • The ending you've got. If you're not satisfied with the ending, you can try to raise Elena's affection to get a better ending
  • If you have OCD. At this point you should have noticed the locked red doors in the towers. The key can be purchased from Mavda if you start a new game  . Rare items and additional manuscripts can be found in the new areas. The final weapon, which will give almost tank like offence, is also locked behind one of these doors.
  • If you want to max out your character (level 50) or max out your weapons. This allows you to defeat the first couple of bosses with one pull of a fully charged chain.
Final verdict: Pandora's Tower is a solid game (about 20 hours) for those who like hack 'n slash games combined with light RPG elements and an interesting story. This is maybe the least know game of operation rainfall, but I hope that gamers in America will also get a change to play this game

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #61 on: May 11, 2012, 08:37:17 AM »
Thanks for the impressions Quadran. I believe it or not am looking forward to this the most. So it was nice to hear your thoughts on it.

http://operationrainfall.com/pandoras-tower-weapon-footage/

Here is some weapon footage. It shows off the types of weapons well. The fun thing about the game is that the combat is that things can be mixed together.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 16, 2013, 02:41:16 AM »
It lives.(Maybe?)

via XSEED Facebook/Twitter

If (big if) it is indeed...will it be Wii retail or Wii U eShop?
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 02:43:00 AM by Soren »
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 16, 2013, 02:48:54 AM »
This late in the game my money is on an eShop release, but they might do a very limited retail release and also have the game available on the eShop as well. Either way it is a good deal that we could be finally getting this game.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline TrueNerd

• Score: 6
    • View Profile

Offline Drizzt

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 16, 2013, 09:18:29 PM »
Well Operation Rainfall was a success. :D

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 19, 2013, 05:43:37 AM »
Bless those crazy people at XSEED. I will reward them with money once pre-orders go up.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 19, 2013, 02:36:36 PM »
This is the one of the three that interested me the least, but it's still good that it's coming. I'll probably pick it up at some point, but likely not at full price.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #68 on: January 19, 2013, 02:39:31 PM »
This is the one of the three that interested me the least, but it's still good that it's coming. I'll probably pick it up at some point, but likely not at full price.

At least for now, GameStop is listing it for $39.99 (http://www.gamestop.com/wii/games/pandoras-tower/107683)
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 11, 2013, 02:54:17 PM »
XSEED has narrowed the release date from Spring to April. Still no specific release date.

First US trailer.

My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 11, 2013, 05:28:05 PM »
They could probably double their sales if they put a downloadable version in the Wii U eshop.

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 11, 2013, 07:15:26 PM »
They could probably double their sales if they put a downloadable version in the Wii U eshop.
Have we actually seen full retail Wii games on the Wii U eshop yet?

Offline Enner

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 12, 2013, 11:28:38 PM »
Not yet. There should be.

I'm a bit sad that the release date moved from the end of March to the middle of April. However, I've waited this long so a few more weeks is little bother.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 14, 2013, 06:45:20 PM »
The date was actually never March, that was a placeholder date made up by retailers. They've switched it to April now that XSEED confirmed it's coming in April, but they did not announce a specific date, so any date you see still may not be accurate.

Offline Enner

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 14, 2013, 06:51:38 PM »
Oh, darn. Ah, I should have figured that. I wish retailers would do away with such placeholder dates, but I guess that's bad business or incompatible with their systems.

I hope we get a solid date soon.