Author Topic: Rate the last TV show you've seen  (Read 1197171 times)

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
Re: Rate the last TV show you've seen
« Reply #1100 on: February 02, 2011, 07:58:11 PM »
Just finished 3, bout to start 4.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #1101 on: February 02, 2011, 11:33:07 PM »
Did anyone watch Tosh.0 last night?

2 words. Vathighna & Thunt.

If you saw the episode, you would know what I'm talking about. That part had me almost spit-take my green tea.
I didn't see it on the Tosh.0 website, but I found the pic he used elsewhere
http://tinyurl.com/29lq53h - NSFW (it is SFW, but it doesn't look like it is)
« Last Edit: February 03, 2011, 03:03:21 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #1102 on: February 03, 2011, 10:48:09 PM »
Tsubasa: Tokyo Revelations/Spring Thunder OVA Collection (Blu) - Tsubasa: Reservoir Chronicles is not a good anime series.  It's badly animated (Bee Train...ugh...), it's badly written, it's slightly boring to watch, and calling the story progression "glacial" is a vast understatement (you could literally cut out all but about 6-8 of the 52 episodes, and you'd lose nothing).  The main villain spends the entire run of the show sitting on a couch watching the action unfold, as if he's prepping to be Darkseid's understudy in Countdown (if you got that reference, congrats).  The show also literally doesn't end by the end of the 2nd season, insulting anyone who stuck around just to see how it would end.  Despite this, the show's something of a guilty pleasure for me and I really don't understand why, save that the character interactions are genuinely entertaining, the show has a generally-pleasing art design, and the anime-meets-Sliders concept is interesting to watch.  It's the kind of relaxed show you put on the background while you're doing something tedious to make the experience more bearable.

So naturally, Funimation recently released a Blu-Ray set containing the 5 OVA episodes produced after the series run, episodes that originally were only included as bonus pack-ins with volumes of the associated manga in Japan.  I just finished watching them, and...well...

Holy Crap.

Funimation should have changed the name of these OVAs to "Tsubasa: STUFF FINALLY ****ING HAPPENS!!!"  I'm serious, more happens in these 5 OVA episodes than happened in the entirety of the 52-episode TV series.  "Tokyo Revelations", indeed.  The main villain's plans are finally revealed (though he still never leaves that goddamn couch, and it's not really clear why his plan would fulfill his goal.   :@ ), the story takes many giant leaps forward (one too many, actually.  There's a major story arc that's shown only in pieces in flashback form that was a major storyline in the TV series), and some pretty brutal and messed-up stuff happens to the main characters.  The xxxHolic connections pretty much removed from the anime make a delightful return.  Even girly-girl Sakura actually does stuff in these episodes besides just sit around and look mopey as everyone fights on her behalf!  With Bee Train now out of the picture, Production I.G. takes up the animation reins, and words can't convey what an utter improvement that is.  Where was all this in the TV series?

Of course, though, just as these episodes were really gearing up and our heroes were set to take the fight to our villain...the set's over, and there has been no word of future Tsubasa releases since the last episodes of this set released in 2009.  How fitting.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 12:38:16 AM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #1103 on: February 05, 2011, 03:35:06 AM »
Whole lot of the Witchblade anime. I started not really liking it...way too overtly sexual in the beginning, but it's changing as the heroine becomes more in control of the Witchblade. It's not the best anime in the world (the animation is up and down) but it has its moments. I wish more crap was being explained, like exactly what Ex-Cons are.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1104 on: February 05, 2011, 11:08:46 PM »
Smallville

HAHAHALOL
Smallville was the Matrix last night, Clark was Neo, Chloe was Trinity, VRA was the Agents and a lone Agent took over Chloe's Avatar and was Agent Smith.
They shamelessly ripped off the Matrix and I can't be sure but i think they even lifted some lines straight from the movie. On the plus side, Clark finally flew... but it was only in the virtual world. I guess you gotta take what you can get. It's a shame though, because Smallville has been on such a roll just before the break only to return with this episode. Hopefully next week is better.

Online NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #1105 on: February 08, 2011, 03:04:41 AM »
I'm a bit behind Unagi, so I just finished the first season of The Wire. The season was 13 episodes long, and I did that in three sittings, including the last 6 in a row just now. This show is just amazing. The thing is, while I'm glad there's more of it because it's so fantastic, I feel like if season 1 were a movie, I'd be upset if I heard they were making a sequel. Season 1 was just so perfect as it was; it doesn't seem to need anything further.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #1106 on: February 08, 2011, 05:16:09 PM »
Fringe is really ramping up in Season 3 as it heads first into its own thing. I really love the use of the twin towers as a stark contrast between each universe.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #1107 on: February 11, 2011, 12:57:28 AM »
Parks and Recreation - 9/10
This has pretty much become my favorite show. I'm not sure if it's because The Office started off weak this season (though it's become hilarious once again), but this show gets funnier every week. Only bad thing this week was a *huge* spoiler during a promo when the commercials started at the final break (before the credits/"bonus" 30 second scene), so if you are a fan and have it on DVR (and you should), I highly recommend fast forwarding through the commercials.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Online NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #1108 on: February 11, 2011, 01:31:15 AM »
I have it on DVR, but I'll probably watch it on Hulu; either way I'm good. It really is a fantastic show, the best comedy on television right now, especially given weaker than I expected showings this season from Community and It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia.

J.P. Corbran

Online NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #1109 on: February 11, 2011, 10:08:35 PM »
In addition to all the new (and new to me) stuff I watch, I also tend to have a lot of older stuff I've seen before on in the background while I do other things. Recently, the rotation has brought me around to Spin City. It's a really good workplace comedy, with an excellent cast and great writing. I liked it the whole way through, but it was at its best in its first four seasons, before Michael J. Fox left.

J.P. Corbran

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #1110 on: February 11, 2011, 10:12:28 PM »
I loved Spin City, and I will agree that it was not as good once Charlie Sheen came in to replace Michael J. Fox (although I still like it later). Barry Bostwick was great as the mayor.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1111 on: February 12, 2011, 10:18:58 AM »
Don't know if I mentioned it before, but the show Working with Fred Savage was hilarious (at least I thought).

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1112 on: February 12, 2011, 12:49:49 PM »
Don't know if I mentioned it before, but the show Working with Fred Savage was hilarious (at least I thought).

I second this. Office Crush episode was so true.

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #1113 on: February 13, 2011, 09:33:08 PM »
Man, I need to rent Spin City. That show was so great!

If I recall correctly, early seasons featured Carla Gugino.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1114 on: February 13, 2011, 09:53:55 PM »
You are correct...Jesus I wish there was a full color version of Sin City...at least certain scenes.

Edit - yes, I know you're talking about Spin City the TV show, but I'm referring to Sin City.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1115 on: February 15, 2011, 07:56:50 PM »
Monday Night Raw was the most electrifying WWE programming in seven long years...

...if ya smeeeeelllllalalalalow...

...what The Rock...

...is cookin'.

10/10

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #1116 on: February 15, 2011, 08:08:23 PM »
Huh? I actually like your post. That was easily the best part of Raw, and makes me wish more people were as good on the mic as him.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #1117 on: February 15, 2011, 08:11:23 PM »
The man made "fruity pebbles" a badass insult last night.

I'm buying Wrestlemania just to see what happens.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #1118 on: February 15, 2011, 08:23:42 PM »
I wonder how serious he was about not going away again. I don't expect him to be there every week, but it would be nice to see him on a regular basis again.

And I guess the censor fell asleep or something, because the only part of his comments that got muted was during his line about being a jabroni-beating, pie eating...

There is apparently speculation that someone else will also be appearing on next week's Raw (one person is obviously The Undertaker, but the second video showed another person as well).

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1119 on: February 15, 2011, 08:52:29 PM »
The Rock is wrestling again?

Is Stone Cold still doing his thing?

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #1120 on: February 15, 2011, 09:07:28 PM »
No, Rock returned to announce that he would be the "guest host" of WrestleMania XXVII. He did say he would not be leaving though.

Austin will probably never return full time due to injuries (he may have one match left though). Austin will be the host of Tough Enough when it returns the night after WrestleMania (it will then run every Monday night before Raw).

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1121 on: February 15, 2011, 09:30:32 PM »
Pretty sure RAW is technically over at 11:05, so anything in the over-run doesn't have to be TV-PG. Rock said he could never come back and fit in with the PG rating, looks like he was serious. He also pretty much said he plans on kicking John Cena's ass at some point, and single-handedly (as in the hand that was holding the microphone) bitch-slapped the past seven years of WWE programming. Jesus Christ that was awesome.

Edit - my "Finally the Rock Has Come Back to Orlando" shirt has been waiting in my closet for years...time to bust it back out! I wonder if he'll be at WrestleMania next year (it's in Miami after all). If he is, then I will be there too (I was at WM25 in Orlando).

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #1122 on: February 16, 2011, 07:06:01 PM »
Human Life 10/10 if it keeps up like this

Made by the same people that gave us Planet Earth and Blue Planet, Human Life is an objective study about how we humans live and ultimately excel in whatever environment we are pitted against. There's only one episode out at this point and it was leaked, but it's enough for me to be enthralled in this should-be-great series.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #1123 on: February 21, 2011, 06:46:40 PM »
I'm still waiting for the upcoming Blu-Ray release of this, but I've started watching the anime Soul Eater.  I'm up through the first 3 episodes, and while this show has some problems (I really can't stand one of the protagonists) I've found it pretty enjoyable.  The concept is paper-thin and involves a bunch of kids at a Death Training Academy training to battle (and subsequently take the souls) of evil beings that exist to devour others' souls.  Get 99 of those evil souls and the soul of a witch, and you become a member of Death's Army (yes, the Grim Reaper himself) as a "Deathscythe".  If this show sounds somewhat familiar to other shows in the Shonen model like Naruto and Bleach...that's because it is.  However, the show has a nice sense of "fun" to it, the dub is nice and quirky, the show has an interesting and extremely cartoony art style to it, and (being made by Bones) the show has some decent to above-average animation.  Best of all, in a genre filled with ludicrously long shows (200+ episodes), Soul Eater is blessedly only 52 episodes long so hopefully the filler will be kept to a minimum for a change.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #1124 on: February 22, 2011, 01:46:54 AM »
Soul Eater is great. Who is it that you can't stand?

I finished Basilisk. I enjoyed it, but the ending? Boooooooooo.

Started to watch Heroic Age on bluray. Love it even if it's the second time I'm watching it.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 01:51:25 AM by Caliban »