Author Topic: Is 3DS Nintendo's best handheld?  (Read 19078 times)

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
Re: Is 3DS Nintendo's best handheld?
« Reply #50 on: February 18, 2016, 04:30:10 PM »
Also, 3D Land and 3D World aren't nearly as similar as they appear on the surface, and there are good arguments for preferring Land.
Incorrect.

This is fun!
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 18, 2016, 04:54:13 PM »
How did I know that'd get a response from you?
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 18, 2016, 05:42:53 PM »
All jokes aside (like 3D Land being a good game), there's plenty of great content that works well on 3DS but has clear improvements on Wii U. It's just a shame that Nintendo doesn't take MORE advantage of their home console or try to differentiate their handheld titles more because of their portable nature (works for things like Mario and Zelda, not so much for Xenoblade and I'd argue even Mario Kart.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 18, 2016, 06:29:08 PM »
Mario Kart DS has things like the mission mode, a really nice battle mode and a VS. Mode to help it work as a portable game.

Mario Kart 7 has none of that. There's a reason I bag on Mario Kart 7 so much.

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 18, 2016, 06:48:49 PM »
And Mario Kart 8 has even less content. I mean, more tracks, but less content.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 18, 2016, 07:09:58 PM »
One thing that is pretty dumb is that Nintendo could easily have put Mario 3D Land on the 3DS and something in a Mario Galaxy style on the Wii U.  Then the two have very distinct Mario experiences and the Galaxy style isn't just seemingly abandoned.  Plus you're trying to sell everyone on this new console and then the Mario games are:

1. A 2D Mario that could probably have been done on hardware from many generations back with only a hit to the graphics.

2. A 3D Mario that apes a style that was introduced on a handheld that uses a fixed view which gives the impression that it is much less advanced than prior 3D games that appeared on earlier consoles.

You want to sell your console on games that give the impression that they could ONLY have been done on the new hardware.  Neither of those games come across that way.  And both have 3DS equivalents.  Make Super Mario Galaxy 3 instead and there is no 3DS equivalent.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 18, 2016, 07:29:49 PM »
2. A 3D Mario that apes a style that was introduced on a handheld that uses a fixed view which gives the impression that it is much less advanced than prior 3D games that appeared on earlier consoles.

3D World has a much greater scope than 3D Land, but you need to actually play it to realize that. On a superficial level, from screenshots and short videos, it looks like the same thing. I'm not sure how Nintendo could have done a better job of demonstrating that, but there must have been a better way.

Mario Kart DS has things like the mission mode, a really nice battle mode and a VS. Mode to help it work as a portable game.

Mario Kart 7 has none of that. There's a reason I bag on Mario Kart 7 so much.

7's battle mode is pretty good. Not quite on DS's level, but I'd say it's better than any other game in the series.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #57 on: February 18, 2016, 08:42:01 PM »
I really love the 3DS. I thought many of Nintendo's DS entries of its main franchises were weak apart from Advance Wars, Kirby (Canvas Curse), and some others.

That isn't meant to throw shade at the DS, as I really enjoyed the system from both Nitnendo's games and third parties', but the 3DS has better Nintendo efforts, an even greater catalog to me thanks to the eShop, and there aren't as many unwanted touch screen instances that are just there to try to innovate when no innovation like that is really needed.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)

« Reply #58 on: February 18, 2016, 08:56:51 PM »
I think Super Mario 3D World is the best 3D Mario they have ever made and I am glad they made something different than just a third Mario Galaxy.
You can call me Mikey if my username is too long.
My favorite games are: Minecraft, Star Wars, Mario, DK, Zelda, Ninja Turtles, and Call of Duty,
I own Wii U, PS4, PS3, and PC.

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 18, 2016, 11:20:14 PM »
I think Super Mario 3D World is the best 3D Mario they have ever made and I am glad they made something different than just a third Mario Galaxy.
PREACH, brother!

3D World is my favorite 3D Mario as well.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: February 18, 2016, 11:35:36 PM »
I always flip back and forth so that my favorite 3D Mario seems to be whichever of EAD Tokyo's games I played last.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Socar

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 26, 2016, 12:42:54 AM »
I still value the 3DS being a great system for various reasons:

1. Its strong library of games
2. The option to buy games digitally
3. Virtual Console games

I'd say the 3DS is on par with GBA. Both systems having great games.

My main issue with the system is that it doesn't have many platform games unlike the DS and the fact that there's not much of dual screen gaming here. Everything seems to play safe and there aren't that many games that make full use of the system.

But I am satisfied with the games that I got and I'm happy with that. I'm looking forward to Planet Robobot and other more games to come.