Author Topic: Is 3DS Nintendo's best handheld?  (Read 19127 times)

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
Is 3DS Nintendo's best handheld?
« on: February 01, 2016, 11:15:37 PM »
Sorry to reuse such a title, but damn, I think it's time we talked about how great the Nintendo 3DS is.

This system had the potential to fail pretty hard at its inception. The very gimmicky draw of the system and its dangerously high price were a recipe for disaster- and that's not even considering the quick price drop and gift of the Ambassador system to the people who did buy it. Even the first year of the 3DS wasn't particularly stellar, with only a handful of titles.

But, things rallied. Mario Kart, Super Mario 3D Land (regardless of its quality), and more helped the system gain momentum, and Fire Emblem Awakening of all things showed us the reach and potential of the system before Pokemon X and Y absolutely smashed the ball out of the park. That's enough about sales, though.

The Nintendo 3DS has a great, if not somewhat iterative version of Mario Kart.
It has a sequel to Luigi's Mansion that is pretty darn good.
It has a library of original RPGs that, though not matching the quantity of the DS' own, rivals it in quality and playtime.
It has a successful online shop that has been lucrative for both Nintendo and independent developers alike, bringing us smaller but still very high quality titles at a lower price.
It has platformers, both ports and originals, that are fun and weird and different.
It has a SUPER SMASH BROS. on it with more content and fighters than any previous iteration, which were on home consoles.
It has a grand total of NINE Zelda titles on it. NINE!!! Ten, if you're an ambassador.

The 3DS may not have enjoyed the same success as the DS, and it may not even have the library of that system- although it technically does, but we won't factor that into the equation. The 3DS trumps the DS in functionality and presentation. So I ask you- what handheld could possibly rival the 3DS?

I'm waiting.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
Re: Is 3DS Nintendo's best handheld?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2016, 11:21:31 PM »
I would take the 3DS library over the DS every single time. Honestly, 3DS vs. GBA is closer in my mind.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2016, 11:24:36 PM »
I know we've spoken about this in the past (at least, I think we have...), but what makes GBA rival 3DS? I mean, I thought its library was relatively small because of its short lifespan, and padded by ports.

Then again, I list several ports in my original argument. But I am just curious.

I'd like to add, the 3DS is a system with some of my favorite titles on it so I'm obviously quite biased.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2016, 11:37:44 PM »
The lack of an original Mario hurts it, but the GBA has a lot of good original software. The two Metroids are phenomenal, and games like the Advance Wars or WarioWare titles are better than their DS counterparts and don't have entries at all on 3DS. The GBA Virtual Console on Wii U is really driving home how great that system's library was for me.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2016, 08:25:20 AM »
I like the GBA library quite a bit, but find that too many of my favorite games on the system are ports of SNES titles to rank it higher than either DS or 3DS library.

For me, I think that (right now) the ranking of game libraries goes something like:  DS > 3DS > GBA > GB

However, when you consider that 3DS is backwards compatible with all DS titles and offers some very good GB (and GBA, if you are an "ambassador") games for download in addition to the excellent retail and eshop library, that makes it a very impressive piece of portable gaming kit.
NNID: ejamer

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2016, 05:39:23 PM »
If we take all factors into consideration then the 3DS is easily the best handheld around. If we're simply talking its exclusive library however... it's kind of tough for me to separate it like that. The reason is because I did not own a DS, and so the 3DS is my door to DS games. Therefore, the backwards compatibility with the DS was a selling point for me and a reason I bought a 3DS, else I'd have just bought a DS (and still kind of wish I had). However, as I've been retroactively making my way through the DS library, I find that I've generally been having more fun with those games than 3DS games. There are some exceptions, but in most cases I prefer the DS iterations of games to their 3DS counterparts.

Even so, the 3DS has a nice library and it's become close behind the DS, I could see why someone would prefer the 3DS.

I've never been a fan of the Game Boy line of systems. Most Game Boy and GBC games feel too primitive to be much fun, and the GBA is full of ports and enhanced versions with little of its own unique content: lacking a new Mario game is a huge strike for me.

Ranking these systems is an easy task:
DS > 3DS >>>>>>> GBA > GB > GBC

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2016, 07:43:52 PM »
I hate to praise something current as best ever because I feel that without proper historical context my views are biased.  Don't want to be the dolt for which their favourite videogame was the last one they played.  But I really have enjoyed my 3DS more than any other handheld.

I never had a GB or GBC but caught up with them using the GBA, Super GB and GB Player.  There is a great stuff like Link's Awakening and Pokémon but both systems had a little too much filler and some half-baked stuff that feels very primitive in modern times where putting up with an inferior game simply because it is portable is no longer needed.

I liked the GBA but it has too many SNES ports.  It has 2 Metroids and a great Zelda and is worth owning for those alone but devs were lazy with all the ports.  Back then there was no VC so you could re-release Super Mario World and charge the same price as brand new GBA games.  In today's context those ports are largely worthless.  If you just want to play the game you can get it on the VC and if you want a physical cart you'll want the original SNES version.  These are compromised versions that we put up with to play on the go.

I never liked the DS.  I don't know exactly why but I never got into it.  It started off on the wrong foot with a really crappy launch lineup.  A fuckin' port of Super Mario 64 with shitty controls as the ONLY first party launch title.  The damn thing should have fallen on its face right there.  I really hated forced touchscreen usage and for all the sales figures, NSMB is dull as ****.

I don't like playing on a handheld because I tend to find the small screen uncomfortable and I tend to move controllers a fair bit in the heat of the action and moving the screen with the controller is very disorienting.  My personal 3DS experience benefits largely from me tailoring my handheld experience to accommodate this.  I've got the XL which makes the screen bigger and I've limited my lineup almost entirely to RPGs because they're turn based so I keep the thing still as I play as there are no intense moments that require realtime reflexes where I'll start making the controller "jump" with Mario.  So I don't know if this is a very relatable opinion and had I done the same thing with the DS maybe I would like it better.

But objectively the 3DS doesn't have so many experienced compromised for the portability as we're now at the point where you can really make fully featured games on a handheld and are expected to.  And in comparison to the DS there is less of developers shoehorning in the touchscreen where it doesn't belong.  They're confident enough to just make games for it and who cares if 3D or touchscreens or the microphone is needed.  Nintendo went from the idiotic forced controls of the DS Zeldas to something that just controls as everyone would expect on the 3DS.  They've matured on the 3DS and those extra features are treated more like they always should have been - as an option for when they're appropriate.

Offline Wah

• Social Worker who's hip with the kids
  • Score: -44
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2016, 07:44:47 PM »
Only good thing on the GBA was JRPG's though (and pokemon)
I would take the 3DS library over the DS every single time. Honestly, 3DS vs. GBA is closer in my mind.
Made you look ****.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2016, 09:47:17 PM »
Only good thing on the GBA was JRPG's though (and pokemon)

I'm not as enamored with GBA as some, but this is clearly untrue.

There are many excellent action, platforming, and puzzle games on the system - some being remakes, but many are originals.  JRPGs make up a big portion of my personal favorites, but certainly aren't the "only good thing" that GBA has to offer.

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2016, 12:37:27 AM »
However, as I've been retroactively making my way through the DS library, I find that I've generally been having more fun with those games than 3DS games. There are some exceptions, but in most cases I prefer the DS iterations of games to their 3DS counterparts.
Care to elaborate on this one? I can think of a few examples but not many.

The very best of GB/GBC titles are games that can stand the test of time- unsurprisingly, many of these are on VC now. Titles like Link's Awakening, Wario Land 2 and 3, and even Donkey Kong 94 are just well-made and fun. But I do agree, there's a hefty amount of mediocrity on those systems, but there really wasn't much else out there.

I love DS and I love RPGs, but as it stands my 3DS collection is starting to grow bigger than my DS one (although I have dumped some DS games, which I regret and want to get back). As I scour the internet for the remaining 15 DS games I feel I "missed out" on, I still see great 3DS games on the horizon that I'm looking forward to.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 12:41:00 AM by Evan_B »

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2016, 08:05:01 AM »
I love DS and I love RPGs, but as it stands my 3DS collection is starting to grow bigger than my DS one (although I have dumped some DS games, which I regret and want to get back). As I scour the internet for the remaining 15 DS games I feel I "missed out" on, I still see great 3DS games on the horizon that I'm looking forward to.

Oh, nice. What size is your collection for both DS/3DS?

For me, the DS library has more appealing games. I've got about 45 games for DS versus about 25 for 3DS. That 3DS number might go up a little bit, but probably won't break 35. The DS number might fluctuate a little bit (currently own a few games I'm not crazy about, missing a few that are really great) but probably will stay pretty consistent.

Offline Triforce Hermit

• This title doesn't make sense.
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2016, 09:44:16 AM »
The 3DS library has been rather lackluster for me for the past few years. I've owned like maybe close to 10 games on my 3DS and I don't see it crossing 15. For the most part it is a virtual console machine and a Zelda machine.

Still, it can play can DS, GBA, and GBC games (despite no GBA virtual console being present, it can still technically play it), it is by default the best.
Sometimes, you just want to play a video game.
NNiD: Triforcehermit09

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2016, 10:31:57 AM »
... For the most part it is a virtual console machine and a Zelda machine.

Something it absolutely excels at...   ;D

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2016, 12:12:24 PM »
I currently own 22 3DS titles (with maybe only one I would part with) and 21 DS games. I've returned several DS and 3DS titles, as well.

That's not even factoring in my ungodly 52 eShop games on my 3DS. If you ever need recommendations let me know!
The 3DS library has been rather lackluster for me for the past few years. I've owned like maybe close to 10 games on my 3DS and I don't see it crossing 15. For the most part it is a virtual console machine and a Zelda machine.
Hm. This is something I don't argee with. There's plenty of great games on the eShop, in some ways I think it might be the best part of the system. There's no doubt Zelda is a massive presence on 3DS, but I think there's other stuff there that is pretty great.

The eShop was a saving grace for the 3DS during the first few years, when titles were crawling out and the gaps were filled by games like Mutant Mudds and the Guild01 series. It's sad to see that it's become a bit unprofitable these days, but it's definitely still receiving great content.

Offline Oedo

• This title is an insult!
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2016, 01:46:15 PM »
By the end of its run, I think my 10 favourite 3DS games will rival my 10 favourite DS games. Where the DS has an advantage though is in the 11-25 or 30 range. There are so many games on that system that are great, even if they fall short of being truly amazing. There are so many DS games that I still have yet to play, but want to. When I think about that same space in the 3DS library, it doesn't quite measure up and I'm not sure if it'll ever get there (at least for me).

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2016, 02:30:02 PM »

Bringing up eShop is a good point. I own a bunch of eShop games on 3DS, and have enjoyed many of them. Yet I didn't count them in my numbers earlier because there's the nagging sense that they "aren't real".  A few of them obviously are, as I could have purchased a retail copy instead of going digital... but most are smaller experiences, and not equivalent to a "full" game on either DS or 3DS.

(For reference, I also own a bunch of DSiWare games that weren't counted in earlier numbers.)

By the end of its run, I think my 10 favourite 3DS games will rival my 10 favourite DS games. ...

If limited to 10 games per system, I might like the 3DS library better than DS.  Tough call. 
I agree that it's due to games outside of the top 10 that my opinion tips in favor of DS.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2016, 04:09:53 PM »
Don't get me wrong, the GBA, GBC, and GB still have some good games that are worth playing even today. But the numbers don't match up to any other systems for me.

Also, portability has never been an appealing factor for me. I've never had things like bus commute, so I don't have opportunities where portable systems would be played when not at home. Therefore, handheld games have always needed to stack up to console games for me to find them worthwhile, and most games before the DS did not. The DS felt like a large step forward to me: the quality of games was getting closer to consoles, and also the system became its own unique thing with the dual screens and touch screen. There were now games possible on the DS that would not work as well on consoles, something that could not be said about any Game Boy line of games (except maybe Pokémon).

However, as I've been retroactively making my way through the DS library, I find that I've generally been having more fun with those games than 3DS games. There are some exceptions, but in most cases I prefer the DS iterations of games to their 3DS counterparts.
Care to elaborate on this one? I can think of a few examples but not many.
Hm, I don't think I had anything specific in mind when I made the statement. I think I said it more out of my perception than actual experience.

The examples that come to mind are:
NSMB > NSMB2
Tetris DS > Tetris Ultimate
Pokémon HeartGold > Pokémon X
Pokémon Mystery Dungeon games on DS > Gates to Infinity

As I've said, Mario games are a big deal to me, so that counts for a lot. Heck, I'd also probably take Super Mario 64 DS over Super Mario 3D Land.

In the other direction, the one 3DS game I liked over a DS equivalent I tried is Mario Kart 7 over MKDS.

But, there are some games I haven't bought yet because they looked worse than the DS games. For example, Mario & Luigi Dream Team, Yoshi's New Island, etc. So that's what I mean about my perception of the system. I should probably buy those games sometime to actually play them and see for myself...

In the other direction, I have not yet played some of the games that have an entry on both DS and 3DS. For example, I have not tried the DS Zelda games, or the Kirby games, so I don't know how they compare to the franchise installments on the 3DS.

I believe I've amassed a collection of 93 DS games, and currently 37 3DS games. These numbers don't count digital games, which would boost the 3DS numbers some, though it's tough to tell what to count there. Everything digital I have on 3DS was free, obtained from the Ambassador program, or from promotions like Club Nintendo. I don't see my retail collection of 3DS games rising even close to 93, though there certainly are more games I want for it. My prediction is that it'll end up around 50-60 in the end, a respectable number, but just not as good as DS. I still want some more DS games too...

Now, if only I had the time for all of this...

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2016, 07:40:13 PM »
Well, Pokemon HeartGold and SoulSilver are enhanced remakes of some of the best games in the series, but I'd say a better comparison would be with OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire. Which... I haven't played, so I can't comment on them. I'd definitely say that Pearl was my personal favorite, and that White and Y after it have felt a little lackluster.

Are you interested in Super Mystery Dungeon, though? I've heard it's quite an improvement over Gates to Infinity. Likewise, I haven't played the more gimmicky Kirby DS titles like Canvas Curse or Mass Attack, but in comparison with Squeak Squad, Triple Deluxe is a vastly superior game and possibly one of the best Kirby games, period.

Also, wow, that DS collection count is impressive. I have played a few eShop games that I believe rival releases on GBA, DS, and 3DS. But I guess I'd like to hear your recommendations or even a collection count of your DS games sometime! I'm looking to expand my DS collection as much as I can.

Of course, when I talk about console and handheld libraries, I usually try to leave emulation and ports out of the equation. While I think DS has some of the best RPGs ever on it, most don't do much to improve upon the classics. Meanwhile 3DS has a fair share of really great, original RPGs. Just my opinion.

« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2016, 09:57:47 AM »
I don't have a 3DS, for me handhelds are not usually an option, like Mop it up said, I don't have any reason to play one over a console game since I am never away from my house except when working and I can't play games while I am at work.

I can say I loved the GBA and the original Game Boy, I guess I am the opposite of most people, I liked that fact the games were smaller, and different from their console countparts I don't just want to replay the same game on a smaller screen and I think the TMNT games, the Mega Man games, the Castlevanias, the Zeldas and Marios, Mario vs. DK, those were all just hours of pure fun for me. I did try DS and I enjoyed it a lot but I sold it after just a couple of years and never looked back. I should note I never played any of my portable games as portable, I only ever played on a Game Boy player, DS was my first attempt at a handheld and it wasn't good enough for me.

I keep hearing DS XL and 3DS XL are worth it with the larger screen but I just kind of felt like they were over priced.
You can call me Mikey if my username is too long.
My favorite games are: Minecraft, Star Wars, Mario, DK, Zelda, Ninja Turtles, and Call of Duty,
I own Wii U, PS4, PS3, and PC.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2016, 03:49:21 PM »
I keep hearing DS XL and 3DS XL are worth it with the larger screen but I just kind of felt like they were over priced.
They are a bit pricey, but if you search for one around the holidays, you can get a 3DS XL for less. In past holidays, I've seen the XL sell for $150 at a few retailers, and there was even a time where Target was clearancing out older colours for $99.99. I prefer to play on a TV too, but the XL is good enough to be worth it I feel.

Well, Pokemon HeartGold and SoulSilver are enhanced remakes of some of the best games in the series, but I'd say a better comparison would be with OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire.
This is probably true, however I have not played one of those games either, and don't own one, so I compared it to the game I did play on 3DS. There are still some things I liked in HeartGold that did not make a return in X, such as having a Mon follow you around. However, the best thing about HeartGold is that it had online co-op for the Battle Frontier! It was actually a lot of fun, and this feature is not in X/Y nor ORAS. I also own Platinum on DS and I'd probably place that ahead of X as well since it still has the Battle Frontier, but I didn't like its world as much as the world in X.

I have not yet tried Pokémon Super Mystery Dungeon, but I did get a copy over the holidays so I hope to try it soon. I'm a bit confused about how rehash-y it might be however, as I've heard it contains the same areas as the previous games. What does that mean exactly? No idea. Have to try it and see.

Here is a link to my DS collection page on GameFAQs. It includes a few DSiWare also, can't filter that out.

Unfortunately, I still have not played a lot of it, so I'm not very good for recommendations just yet. I've also played some of the more popular games, like Advance Wars, Castlevania, NSMB, Tetris DS, etc., that people have already played, though I'd recommend them to anyone who still hasn't! Some more games I liked were:

-Dragon Quest V: Pretty old school by design, but it's got a great story and interesting world to explore.
-Picross 3D: Fantastic puzzle game with a lot of puzzles, a unique and tricky concept. I've always liked 3D puzzle games but there aren't very many of them. Looking forward to the sequel on 3DS!
-Etrian Odyssey: Old-school dungeon crawler. The original is still one of my fave DS games, though there is a remake on 3DS. I actually own it, but have not played it, so I can't speak to if it's better.
-Planet Puzzle League: A solid version of this match-three-or-more puzzler, but probably less unique now with phone games. I still want a new version on 3DS though!
-Rune Factory 1 & 2: Mixing Harvest Moon with a dungeon crawler? Sounds awesome, and it is! Tending to the farm is more rewarding when I can buy new weapons with my hard-earned cash and go beat up some beasties. I haven't played 3 or 4 yet, but I do own 3.
-Super Princess Peach: Probably questionable with its motives, but it still has some unique gameplay and I enjoyed exploring its levels.

I also liked Phantasy Star 0, but, not worth playing with the online gone.

Most of this is probably stuff that most people have heard of or played, but still, good stuff!

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2016, 08:56:38 PM »
Here is a link to my DS collection page on GameFAQs. It includes a few DSiWare also, can't filter that out.

Nice looking collection!

Noticed lots of overlap with what I've got. Some games that were missing, that you might enjoy:

* Aliens Infestation - Sort of has a Metroidvania vibe, but without the power-up structure. A bit rough around the edges but still worth playing.
* Batman Brave and the Bold - Easy and pretty short, but also fun and attractive. If you see it cheap, grab a copy!
* Castlevania Order of Ecclesia - Curious why you don't have this; I haven't started it yet, but reviews were strong.
* Contra 4 - Run 'n gun heaven; best if you like punishment.
* Dragon Quest Rocket Slime - I think you'd like this. It's really cute.
* Henry Hatsworth - Action/puzzle game. Great idea but the difficulty balance is wrong; later levels feel cheap instead of challenging.
* Might & Magic Clash of Heroes - Puzzle/RPG hybrid that is fun and challenging.
* Trauma Center 1 and/or 2 - Hard games but unique and a great use of the platform.

Some games that I don't own but probably should:

* Ghost Trick - Fantastic gem of an adventure game; regret trading away my copy.
* Ninja Gaiden Dragon Sword - Not everyone will be into  this type of action game, but it's very well done for an "all touch controls" game.
* Ninjatown - Super cute tower defense. If you don't like tower defense, the cuteness probably isn't enough to make up for that.
* Monster Tale - A hybrid between tamagotchi-style monster raising sim and Metroidvania action/platformer. The level design isn't great though, and it's supposedly being remade? Very good game, might be better to wait for a potential do-over.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2016, 09:02:16 PM by ejamer »

« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2016, 11:26:34 PM »
See I can't accept $150 as cheap for a hand held, they shouldn't have even been that much at launch. I would pay $150 for a brand new handheld game machine that just launched, I won't pay that much for one that is already five years old that should be down to $79 by now. I do consider the XL to be a premium over the regular one but I still think it is $30 over priced all things considered. I have contemplated a 2DS but it has the smaller screen.
You can call me Mikey if my username is too long.
My favorite games are: Minecraft, Star Wars, Mario, DK, Zelda, Ninja Turtles, and Call of Duty,
I own Wii U, PS4, PS3, and PC.

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2016, 12:15:27 PM »
No.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2016, 12:27:07 PM »
I'm sorry that you find handhelds to be out of your price range, Mikey. However the portability aspect has taken on less of a "travel companion" aspect to it and more of a "meet-up" focus, for me. I have friends who get together and play Smash Bros. And it's always good to have a 3DS on reserve in case you dot have enough controllers. Likewise, games like Monster Hunter, Mario Kart, and Triforce Heroes are great for local meet-ups and I try to do that as often as possible.

With the past two generations of gaming in particular, I have found handheld libraries to be more satisfying than console libraries, which is why I prefer them. If it's not your cup of tea, well, that's that.

As for Order of Ecclesia, I can vouch for it being a totally fantastic game. And the new installment of Etrian Odyssey (IV, not the remakes) is one of my favorite games ever. On the other hand, I played Rune Factory 4 and I could not get behind it at all.

And Soren is wrong.

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2016, 09:29:10 PM »
I'm pretty sure I'm right. Unless the 3DS plans to stick around for 10 more years.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV